BF Members' Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF Members' Survey

This survey is intended for all members, old and new. Answer the questions and let us get to know you a bit more.

New questions will be added within the thread every now and then, so you might find more to answer when you revisit to read what others have put.

New members - do feel free to use these questions in your own 'Hello' post introducing yourself in the Welcome section if you'd like, or answer these here and start a new Welcome thread too, we don't mind.
    1. What does your username mean?
    2. Where are you from?
    3. When did you watch BtVS and Ats for the first time?
    4. Which tv shows are you watching at the moment?
    5. Favourite character ever?
    6. Best song in the world?
    7. Worst movie you ever saw?
    8. Most beautiful piece of art you've ever seen or heard?
    9. Which Buffyverse season would you love to experience for the first time again?
    10. The apocalypse is coming, which 3 Buffyverse characters do you want on your team?
    11. What was the worst style choice a Buffyverse character ever made?
    12. And what was the best style choice?
    13. An AtS character is paying Sunnydale a visit, who should it be?
    14. Which MotW is your favourite?
    15. If you are the showrunner of a Buffyverse spin-off, what would it be about?

Well, let's see.
      It's my name, plain and simple.
    2. Where are you from?
      The Netherlands, somewhere in the north of the country.
      There were re-runs on Dutch television. I think I was 11.
      Oi, a lot of Netflix. I might miss one, but: Star Trek: Discovery & Deep Space 9, The Crown, The Witcher, Peaky Blinders, The Alienist & The Last Kingdom.
      Harry Potter.
      There are a few, recently I already told everybody about my love for Joni Mitchell's Amelia. So let's do another now:
      My least favourite ones are the really boring ones. So it's probably still Elizabethtown.
      In general I prefer Rembrandt over Vermeer. But there is something about The Girl with the Pearl...

Yes I know, I know. Not the most creative answer.
    9. Which Buffyverse season would you love to experience for the first time again?
      BtVS season 2 or Ats season 2. These are the best seasons IMO and my first time was in both cases not all that. I was too young to appreciate BtVS season 2 when I saw that one for the first time. And I saw Ats season 2 out of order and without seeing season 1 first.
    10. The apocalypse is coming, which 3 Buffyverse characters do you want on your team?
      Is is a sunny apocalypse? Just in case I'll leave Angel and Spike out of my team.

Buffy, Post-Origin!Connor & Wesley. If there is no hope anymore, I will swap one of them for Gunn. His commentary might make the end a bit more bearable.
      Oof, Buffy's fringe, Cordy's soccer mom look with strange flowy dress, Angel's ugly greenish blouse, that one time Willow wore a muppet....

Cordelia it is.
      Fred's red dress in WitW.
      The most fun is of course s4!Wesley. But I think Gunn would be very enjoyable as well. His life is so different from life in Sunnydale.
      I don't really have one.
      I think I would try to do some world building and do a Counsil of Watchers show. It's completely different from Buffy and Angel, but it has a lot of potential.

Comment

What does your username mean?

It's a combination of one of my nicknames + vamp which relates to BtVS obviously. Not remotely original but, hey, I created it when I was 14-15 and never thought I'd be stuck with it 16 years later!

Where are you from?

Australia - which I have never been more thankful for since COVID-19 *phew*

When did you watch BtVS and Ats for the first time?

When it originally aired back in 1997. Funnily enough I have vivid memories of watching the very first episode and the cliffhanger with Luke as he goes to bite Buffy ("to be continued"). I can even recall before the episode started my sister telling me that her friend told her it was "based on a movie" and I was very confused. But I loved it instantly and was literally hooked ever since. Welcome to the Hellmouth and The Harvest aired over 2 consecutive nights here in Australia at 7:30PM straight after Home and Away

Which tv shows are you watching at the moment?

My current show is WandaVision which I am absolutely LOVING The finale season of Wentworth will also being airing soon and I also recently finished The Mandalorian and will watch Falcon and the Winter Solider. It's a Sin was also a great miniseries.

Favourite character ever?

Buffy Anne Summers. My ride or die.

Best song in the world?

Hmmm I mean I don't know if it's the best song in the world but my personal favourite is probably Mr Brightside by The Killers. I also love Can't Stop Falling In Love by Elvis, All My Loving by The Beatles, Passenger Seat by Death Cab for Cutie, All These Things I've done by The Killers, pretty much any version of Forever Young.

Worst movie you ever saw?

It definitely isn't objectively the worst movie I have ever seen but I have never, ever been able to sit through the entirety of Constantine with Keanu Reeves. Like, I have honestly tried to many times throughout my life and at all different ages and I have never managed to. I find it so unbelievably dull.

Most beautiful piece of art you've ever seen or heard?

I couldn't say. This is a tricky one.

Which Buffyverse season would you love to experience for the first time again?

I would probably have to say BtVS S2 as it's my favourite. That Angelus arc shocked me as a kid and I would find it even more memorable if I had seen it for the first time as an adult.

The apocalypse is coming, which 3 Buffyverse characters do you want on your team?

Oh this is a hard one. I'm tempted to go strictly with power/muscle but you'd want some good research skills in there too.

1) Buffy - There's not a single other character in the Buffyverse that I would trust most just to win. She just makes me feel confident that no matter what, she will always find a way. Plus Slayer.
      2) Willow - Combination of book smarts and power but it's really her power that would get her over the line for me. Her magic has infinite possibilities.
      3) Giles - Purely for his book smarts and his willingness to do what needs to be done. Wesley is arguably more knowledgable and he can be certainly as ruthless and pramatic as Giles but he's also unstable and unpredictable

What was the worst style choice a Buffyverse character ever made?

Yeah I am probably going to second Nina and go with the hideous outfits Cordelia wore towards the end of AtS S3. That jumper and skirt combination she wears in Double or Nothing when she's sitting on the stairs with Gunn is... ugh.

And what was the best style choice?

Buffy in her prophecy gown with the leather jacket. But honestly just Buffy in general followed by Cordelia and Angel. Cordy has some great outfits in BtVS S3 and I love Angel's outfits from BtVS S1. His James Dean look in the episode Angel is particularly great (the white t-shirt tucked into the skinny jeans with the short leather jacket *chef kiss*)

An AtS character is paying Sunnydale a visit, who should it be?

Would have to be Cordelia followed by Wesley. Cordelia would just have so many different and unique interactions with Buffy, Xander, Willow, even Anya...

Which MotW is your favourite?

It would have to be The Gentleman. I also really love Sunday, Ford, Der Kinderstood, Catherine Madison and Gnarl.

If you are the showrunner of a Buffyverse spin-off, what would it be about?

Honestly, an American Horror Story-esque anthology series focused on previous Slayers always sounded really interesting to me. You could explore the Slayer that died and made Buffy called, past Slayers, future Slayers... the possibilities are endless. It would also been such a great way of expanding the mythology of the Buffyverse as you could touch on so many corners of the world, monsters, the CoW, witches etc. I mean, if you really wanted to it didn't even necessarily have to just focus on Slayers. Some seasons could focus on vampire or demon characters etc.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Everything flows and nothing ever stays the same. it
        1. Where are you from?
        I have been born and raised and lived my whole life (so far) in Germany. To be more precise in the northern part of Germany. It's a good place to live.
        1. When did you watch BtVS and Ats for the first time?
        I have come very late to the show, partly because it was sold as a teenage high school comedy in Germany and partly because the synchronization was awful and made it unwatchable. I was instantly hooked when I first watched the series in English but that did not happen before 2017.
        1. Which tv shows are you watching at the moment?
        I am not watching many tv shows and mostly with my kid (Wickie anyone?). I tend to get bored by most tv shows and movies. The last shows I watched apart from Buffy that I enjoyed were Carnival Row, Lucifer, and Sherlock (it took me a while to get into Sherlock).
        1. Favourite character ever?
        You're the one, Buffy.
        1. Best song in the world?
        I don't think there is a song that can truly claim that title.
        1. Worst movie you ever saw?
        As I said I don't watch that many movies or tv shows and if I get bored or find something not completely to my liking I switch the tv off. However, I just watched Jim Button and Luke the engine driver (the 2018 movie adaptation) with my kid yesterday and found it pretty awful. Urgh.
        1. Most beautiful piece of art you've ever seen or heard?
        Like with the best song I don't think there is one single piece of art that can claim this title. The last beautiful piece of art I have seen and found impressive was actually a replica. I am not a fan of replicas at all and nearly missed this one because of my bias. It was the figurative cave paintings in the Chauvet Cave in Southern France. We went there when we were on vacation in France last summer and it took my breath away. I am still in awe when I think back to that day.
        1. Which Buffyverse season would you love to experience for the first time again?
        Season 6, hands down. It is such a multilayered and fascinating season and to think I could go on this emotional rollercoaster ride once again with no previous knowledge of how things will turn out ...
        1. The apocalypse is coming, which 3 Buffyverse characters do you want on your team?
        Buffy, because she is the Slayer. Faith because she is a slayer but badass at that. Willow, because she is a mighty witch. It's time for womanpower!
        1. What was the worst style choice a Buffyverse character ever made?
        Willow's poncho in Something Blue

1. And what was the best style choice?
        I'll let the pic speak for itself:

1. An AtS character is paying Sunnydale a visit, who should it be?
        Angel. He means most to the people who are left in Sunnydale.
        1. Which MotW is your favourite?
        Does Ethan Rayne count as a monster of the week? No? I thought so ... I think it's Holden Webster then. Or maybe Sweet.
        1. If you are the showrunner of a Buffyverse spin-off, what would it be about?
        I am not really a huge fan of spin-offs or reboots. If I were a showrunner of a Buffyverse spin-off, I would probably call it off. I think Buffy's story has been told and as much as I love Faith or Spike or Willow I don't see them carrying a show on their own. I don't think I have to mention that the Potentials wouldn't do either and I don't want a Buffy 2.0. It's what the Boom! comics went for and they made a bad job of it. I could envision something along the lines of Slayers from the past with different stories told from different times and countries or maybe even different dimensions. But that would not really be a Buffy spin-off. It would more be a tv-series about powerful women through time and space.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Nina
          Nina commented
          Editing a comment
          Ohhhh Wickie. I remember being so disappointed when finding out Wickie was a boy. (Little me was sure that long hair = girl.) For some reason I really wanted that.

• American Aurora
          American Aurora commented
          Editing a comment
          Flow, if you don't mind my asking, where in Northern Germany? There were so many beautiful places in Germany (esp. the Black Forest!) and I was curious if I'd ever been in your hometown!

It's from a Giles quote, when he's shot by a dart meant for werewolf Oz and he says 'Bloody priceless' as he slides down the wall. That line always makes me laugh.

Where are you from?

Lincolnshire in the UK

When it first aired on BBC2 in the UK. I liked the first two eps, though I thought the acting was a bit ropey, but it was Witch that sealed it for me, I loved the twist and Catherine being stuck in the statue at the end was brilliant. I was hooked from then on.

I have no streaming services, so that reduces my choices, but I'm enjoying The Great with Elle Fanning as Catherine the Great, re-watching Battlestar Galactica and the new series of Unforgotten, a British police procedural that's always well written, and Bloodlands another police procedural on the BBC. Also a Canadian series called The Disappearance, about a little boy who disappears on his birthday.

Buffy

Best song in the world?

How can you pick only one? Anything by The Beatles, most of the hits of the 60's . . . if I had to pick just one . . . All Or Nothing by the Small Faces sounds fresh every time.

Both of the Sex And The City movies are TERRIBLE, but the second one is an abomination.

Wow, so many. I fell in love with Kandinsky when I visited the Guggenheim in NY. But there are so many incredible pieces of art. Rome and Florence are works of art in themselves. I have some Spuffy prints that make me feel happy every time I see them, they are beautiful to me . . .

Season 6. The power of it, the sadness, seeing Buffy fall so low, see her relationship with Spike grow into something important.

The apocalypse is coming, which 3 Buffyverse characters do you want on your team?

Buffy, Willow and Spike. Just like Season 11 in the internment camp, and they did quite well there.

This image doesn't do justice to the horror of it. From The Replacement.

So many . . . I liked Buffy best in Season 4 when she was all patterned and pink and girly and she looked so pretty. But she also looked great in leather pants or jeans. It's too tough a choice.

Cordelia. She could have a nice conversation with Xander and show the gang how much she'd changed.

Catherine Maddison, she's the one that hooked me.

If it were possible, in a dreamworld, it would be Buffy and Spike living a life, travelling the world, learning to live together . . . but that's only my Spuffy fever dream. I guess a Ripper show would have been the most obvious, with other cast members dropping in now and again, while Ripper solves supernatural crimes, perhaps aided by Dawn or Faith.
        Last edited by Priceless; 25-02-21, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
          Double Dutchess commented
          Editing a comment
          I see it now, thanks! I don't mind it so much, but I agree it's far from her best outfit.

• American Aurora
          American Aurora commented
          Editing a comment
          That "If Buffy were a Peanuts character" worst outfit made me laugh!
          Last edited by American Aurora; 25-02-21, 07:59 PM.

• flow
          flow commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, this outfit was an abomination.

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

What’s said in this post/comment is what I remember, my opinions, etc.

AtS = Angel.

A&F = Angel & Faith

AtF = After the Fall

DID SOME EDITS ON MARCH 7, 2021:

It's my name.

Where are you from?

I was conceived in London, England, The United Kingdom; nonetheless, I was born in UCLA Medical Center during an 'underwater' birth thing.

I watched every episode of BtVS when first aired on TV in the US. All my friends and family knew not to bother me when it was on. Everyone who knew me in college knew not to bother me when it was on and group projects, study sessions, meetups, 'meetups', etc. were all scheduled around my viewing time.

I didn't watch most of AtS when it first aired. I watched the Spike crossovers and I watched the Faith crossovers. I didn't watch "I Will Remember You" (A 1.08) until sometime after BtVS S5 aired. I knew "IWRY" would be a Buffy/Angel love fest, they would probably have sex with each other, and that it would be rather irrelevant to BtVS until maybe after Buffy/Spike finally got together. I watched "Sanctuary" (A 1.19) when it first aired.

My viewing of AtS can be summed up with this: I thought that Lindsey MacDonald was the Immortal.

I watched AtS S4 and AtS S5 when they first aired.

Of the new stuff:

Real Time with Bill Maher

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee

The YouTube Last Week Tonight with John Oliver deep dive thing.

I have a lot of 'catching up' to do on some shows. For some reason, I'm re-watching Battlestar Galactica and Smallville (S1-S5 in 1080p and I just bought the Blu Rays for S6-S10) on my LG CX and GXs TVs instead of watching some shows I need to 'catch up' on.

I actually cancelled my personal Netflix and am waiting for Sex Education to arrive again. It's possible I might wait until then to watch: Bridgerton, Elite, the rest of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, etc. Or, I might watch them before then...

I still plan to watch Dickinson and The Mandalorian. I still haven't watched S3 of The Runaways and haven't finished Hunter X Hunter and other stuff. I still haven't watched that HBO Marti Noxon miniseries. I have a bunch of 'catch up' to do on TV shows. There unfortunately still is a bunch of news to keep abreast of.

I cannot currently think of a perfect movie character. For TV: River Tam comes to mind. She's essentially flawless. There's no perfect book character that comes to mind. For comic books: Lucifer Morningstar of DC: even the Sandman Universe thing managed to 'pull it together' at the end with him. The Lucifer stuff is so good that it makes almost all of the rest of DC rather irrelevant, as the only truly important 'beings' are God, Elaine Belloc, Lucifer Morningstar, and Makizeen/Makizeen Morningstar.

I couldn't even buy the Nolan Batman movies on Blu Ray or 4K Blu Ray and I cannot buy the Batman PC games because Batman is actually so irrelevant and pointless that he's bad for the DC Universe. Harley Quinn is actually much better than any Batman TV show or movie, as it's actually understandable that she doesn't kill the Joker and doesn't even actively try to kill the good guys. I bought Harley Quinn on Blu Ray. So far, the new DC Animated movies aren't as good as the previous ones.

The Marvel movies stopped being good and stopped making sense after The Avengers. The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is simply much better.

Anyway...

Best song in the world?

The Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven.

I don't think I've ever watched a bad movie all the way through.

I'd probably have to say Versailles and the Winter Palace. I love beautiful palaces and beautiful homes. Beautiful gardens are nice.

I don't like 'modern art' and think it stupid.

And paintings and sculpture are great for home decorations and such, but a view of water and/or trees and/or gardens is more beautiful and gives more emotional power.

When I was living in Madison, Wisconsin, I had a view of the lake or of the Wisconsin Capitol building. That's a better view and more beauty than almost anyone living in New York City gets.

In ways, I prefer the beauty of Apple laptops and my new LG TVs than most art.

I don't like 'big box' houses. I don't like 'wood frame' houses. I love solid foundations, a well-built house, and the house to be a house and not just have wide big areas.

The problem is only BtVS S5 and BtVS S6 have 'all good' episodes. I'm not sure modern audiences would tolerate even a BtVS S2 or BtVS S3. We live in a world of 'too little, I want more'. We live in a world of possibly too much TV.

BtVS S1 is 12 episodes. Would it have been renewed in today's environment? Maybe not unless Netflix, Amazon, or Apple wanted it. I haven't heard of Disney putting out an actual HD version. And even some very popular Netflix shows don't have Blu Rays. For Warner Brother stuff: Gossip Girl doesn't have a Blu Ray set. Smallville S1-S5 isn't on Blu Ray. The West Wing doesn't have a Blu Ray. And Gossip Girl and Smallville S1-S5 are in HD on Amazon and Netflix; so, Blu Rays could be made of them.

And you don't actually own what's in your Amazon streaming accounts and eBooks and such. And streaming is very limited anyway even if you have a 1Gb Internet connection. It's frustrating that seemingly most 4K Blu Rays don't have Dolby Vision, but I prefer the higher quality over the streaming services that have Dolby Vision.

BtVS existed when there were fewer viewing options, no social media, TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly and such were still huge deals, and the media could make someone on a show getting maybe around a 10MM viewing audience worldwide one of the most famous people in the world and arguably the most famous woman in the world. Before Bennifer and Brangelina, there was SMG/Freddie Prinze Jr. "SMG" is a thing because Sarah Michelle Gellar was so famous.

There is literally: FDR, LBJ, SMG, and AOC. Is there anyone else?

Almost everyone knows about Buffy. BtVS was so in pop culture that Faith is famous and Eliza Dushku has a career because Faith is so famous. James Marsters got a TV Guide cover in early BtVS S2 and Spike was so well known that James got a cameo in a big movie, was on Hollywood Squares, etc. And his name was only first known by the public when "Something Blue" (B 4.09) aired.

So, I don't know. CW shows nowadays last almost forever if they have any ratings and any audience. But most are superhero shows whose intellectual property is owned by the company which owns the CW.

Would BtVS have the media attention nowadays that it had? Who is the last CW star? It's probably Blake Lively. And Blake is so famous because Gossip Girl shot in New York City and Anna Wintour promoted Blake after Gossip Girl ended and Blake was with Ryan Reynolds when Deadpool hit big. And yet Blake never could have the career that Reese Witherspoon had. And Reese only has a career because she could do movies when SMG couldn't and Reese dated Ryan Phillipe and SMG didn't.

So, I don't know. BtVS got a BtVS S2 because Buffy/Angel worked so well and Buffy/Angel worked so well because SMG and David Boreanaz worked so well on-screen for what Buffy/Angel was. And Buffy/Angel was put into pop culture and the zeitgeist because the critics and the media loved BtVS so much. The Buffyverse post-BtVS S1 lasted because of James Marsters. And Eliza Dushku was magic as Faith, but Faith couldn't be as important to the Buffyverse as Spike could. Someone else could have probably pulled Faith off as well or better. But James was perfect because of looks, acting ability, his perfect on-screen chemistry with Juliet Landau for what Spike/Dru was and his perfect on-screen chemistry with SMG for what Buffy/Spike was. And Joss Whedon and the BtVS writers liked Spike so much and liked writing for him so much.

Before the Buffy in HD came out, I hadn't done a full re-watch of BtVS since around 2005 C.E. I think. It's partly because I remember it so well. It's partly because I was posting about it so much that it kept the show in my current memory. But it's also because the 480p and the compression I consider will be very noticeable on a big screen 4K TV. My Smallville S1 DVD had simply unacceptable quality even though my West Wing DVDs were tolerable. I'm not looking forward to watching my BtVS S1 DVDs on a 4K LG OLED screen.

The pandemic and this relative time away from forums has made me re-appreciate the Buffyverse and I will probably do a re-watch of the TV Buffyverse after all my catching up.

Seedling Willow Rosenberg. She could essentially single-handedly make the apocalypse end.

I like Lilah Morgan a lot. She dated Wesley Wyndam-Pryce and would probably date me (assuming Wesley isn't around and my current partner isn't around). And she has Wolfram & Hart connections.

Illyria of Illyria: Haunted after her power upgrade. She'd essentially be an ideal bodyguard. I'm slowly considering much Season 9 probably shouldn't be considered actually canon given how little Joss Whedon was involved outside of the
        Spoiler:
        Buffy abortion stuff.

Spike's bleached hair and 'Spike costume' after BtVS S7. "Get It Done (B 7.15) and during the rest of BtVS S7 made sense. He looks ridiculous in AtS S5. And Spike has changed looks before.

The bleached hair was a punk rock faze. The Spike costume was a costume. He wore Nkki Wood's jacket has kinda a power suit. After "Chosen" (B 7.22), after AtF, etc... why is the bleached hair and Spike costume still a thing? It's all silly.

Angel's clothing decisions.

Of the women, Drusilla Keeble probably dresses the best in terms of look and practicality. I don't recall hers ever wearing high heels. Glory and Buffy should never wear high heels. Dru's in boots and such.

I remember even as a child first wearing dress shoes to go to church that high heels on women didn't make sense and probably hurt their feet. I don't see how high heels are sexy or flattering or whatever. And it's ridiculous that Katerina Petrova aka Katherine Pierce in The Vampire Dairies wears super high high heels as if that's somehow feminist. And Nina Dobrev is relatively tall. Anyway...

Before "Chosen" (B 7.22), Cordelia Chase became the most useful because of her power increase. But it was all insulting to Willow Rosenberg and Buffy Anne Summers. And it was because of Jasmine anyway.

Angel only crossed over for the Buffy/Angel stuff.

I still consider that Spike should have showed up in BtVS S8 with Beck and Spider and Co.

Dracula. It gave excellent world-building and led to the Spike vs. Dracula and Season 8 stuff.

Honestly, the only thing that makes sense is a Melaka Fray spin-off. Too much time has passed for any live action thing happening with the cast and Joss Whedon has essentially been cancelled.

Season 8 is a disaster because Angel wasn't dusted after BtVS 8.39 because Joss successfully convinced Dark Horse to buy the comic book publishing rights to AtS. Too much of Season 9 is nonsense.

DID SOME EDITS ON MARCH 7, 2021:
        Last edited by MikeB; 07-03-21, 01:19 PM. Reason: Word mistakes, added stuff, etc.

Comment

• flow
          flow commented
          Editing a comment
          Lilah Morgan is an interesting choice. And I second a Melaka Fray spin-off. It would be a show in its own right. I believe that's the only way a spin-off could work.

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
        This survey is intended for all members, old and new. Answer the questions and let us get to know you a bit more.

New questions will be added within the thread every now and then, so you might find more to answer when you revisit to read what others have put.

New members - do feel free to use these questions in your own 'Hello' post introducing yourself in the Welcome section if you'd like, or answer these here and start a new Welcome thread too, we don't mind.
        2. Where are you from?
        1) it comes from my times defending Spike on various Buffy forums and is a pun on Devil's advocate which was a person in the Catholic church who argues against someone being beautified or becoming a saint.

2)London UK - I'm not giving you more specific than that.

3) Both around friends' houses - first saw Never Kill A Boy on the First Date wasn't terribly impressed.

4) I'm not really - kinda gone off fiction on TV.

5) Spike although Ben Linus in Lost is close.

6) Hard one - honestly probably The Only One I know by the Charletons

7) Grease 2 - utterly cringey

8) Monet's waterlilies under the blue Japanese bridge at his estate

9) I think two without being spoilered for all the twists

10) Buffy, Spike and Willow

11) Xander's fugly jumper in The Yoko Factor with circle on it

12) Willow's prom dress

13) Idk - Wes and Cordy would be interesting to see how people reacted to them as they're so changed - Fred had great chemistry with Willow, I think it would be Cordy - her and Xander could have some interesting conversations

14) I still think it's a shame we never got the Faith/Spike spin off or the Giles one. Gwen Raiden and Gunn could be fun too.

Comment

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh grief, Grease 2! Yeah, it's not good.

1) What does your username mean?
        It's from Restless and that guy who made a little space for the cheese slices

2) Where are you from?
        Southern France

3) When did you watch BtVS and Ats for the first time?
        My childhood-related memory sucks, but it was circa 2003, and they were airing S6 on French TV (with bits of S5).

4) Which tv shows are you watching at the moment?
        I am very one track mind when it comes to the content I consume, so I tend to avoid shows that demand investment when I have a current obession (that would be Buffy, which has been a current obsession for a while now ). I've just finished Bojack Horseman which is absolutely fantastic and deserves all the praise it gets. But mostly I just watch comedic shows like South Park, The Simpsons, Familiy Guy...

5) Favourite character ever?
        That would be Spike.

6) Best song in the world?
        Fair warning I'm physically incapable of answering this type of question. I'm just gonna give a few artists I like and that I think have more great songs than bad : Simon & Garfunkel, the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Florence and the Machine, Lana del Rey,... I'm gonna stop here.

7) Worst movie you ever saw?
        Any comedy with scat or cringe humor is a no no for me.
        In the "everybody says it's good but I think it sucks" category, I'd say The Revenant.

8) Most beautiful piece of art you've ever seen or heard?
        See warning in 6. Most impressionist stuff, most films from Wong Kar Wai, Céline Sciamma, Jia Zhangke, Hou Hsiao-Hsien,...Too many things, man !

9) Which Buffyverse season would you love to experience for the first time again?
        I guess S6 but I'm always wary about the idea of wishing to be able to experience something for the first time again, because I'm afraid I wouldn't like it as much.

10) The apocalypse is coming, which 3 Buffyverse characters do you want on your team?
        Buffy, Spike, Willow.

11) What was the worst style choice a Buffyverse character ever made?

x1080.jpg

Buffy's outfit specifically. Though Willow wins in the worst outfit department overall.

12) And what was the best style choice?
        In general I love Faith's outfits the most, but I'll give it up for either this one (also seen in Dead Things)
        itw.PNG
        or the red shirt + long black leather coat combo in OMWF.

13) An AtS character is paying Sunnydale a visit, who should it be?
        Cordelia, definitely.

14) Which MotW is your favourite?
        Sweet

15) If you are the showrunner of a Buffyverse spin-off, what would it be about?
        I'd love to write about a past slayer. Either the ones we know about, or any other. With Buffy characters, either the Faith spin-off that was pitched or a depiction of the Fang Four during their years together.
        Attached Files
        What a challenge, honesty
        What a struggle to learn to speak
        Who would've thought that pretending was easier

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
          SpuffyGlitz commented
          Editing a comment
          Ooh I like the same artists! (I'm listening to a lot of Simon and Garfunkel these days..) Agreed on all the outfit choices too!

I just realised I hadn't done this yet so I rattled off some answers.

It's based on an old nickname, it doesn't mean anything.

Where are you from?
        Nottinghamshire, UK

When did you watch BtVS and AtS for the first time?
        I got the box set of BtVS for Christmas 2010 and watched it all within two months. About three to four months later I found out Spike survived (the comics were just wrapping up S8) and I saw AtS S5 as soon as I heard that he appeared in that after Chosen. But I didn't watch the rest of AtS until 2013. I only had a few vague ideas of things that happened and without the connections leading up to S5 a lot of that hadn't meant much anyway. So it really did feel like watching it for the first time for S5 too when I got to it from having seen seasons 1-4 first.

I'm always catching up on things as I tend to record a whole series and then watch the episodes fairly quickly. I posted today about seeing 'The Watch' which is the show I'm currently putting on in the evenings (having just finished Westworld S3 last week). I'm also hoping to finish Lovecraft Country finally and continue to watch Wentworth in starting S2 in the next couple of weeks.

Without question, Spike.

Best song in the world?
        Eee, I don't know. I have very eclectic taste in music and there are a huge number of answers I could give. Today, Mad World by Gary Jules and Sympathy for the Devil (the Guns n Roses version) are what came to mind first.

I've seen a lot of B movies that are probably technically the worst movies I've ever seen but I go in with appropriate expectations when watching them and really enjoy them anyway a lot of the time. The only time I can remember considering leaving the cinema during a film was watching Phone Booth. But I've come to really love Colin Farrell since then, so I don't know that I'd feel the same if I gave it another watch.

Like with the best song this is too hard to definitively pick so I'll just have to go with the piece that springs to mind for me right at this moment. I'm choosing The Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh. The combination of the movement and energy in the sky against the serene, still village below is just amazing. I could stare at this for a really long time. https://www.vangoghgallery.com/paint...rry-night.html

I'd love to watch S6 again but it wouldn't have the same impact without all the seasons that come before it and I'd not want to stop at S6 and not see what came after it either. So really it's the full journey that would be incredible to get to experience anew. I suppose that is what has finally won me over in watching the reactor videos. Seeing someone else seeing the show for the first time and forming their views is great. Of course, there are always certain episodes I'm looking forward to them seeing in each season, but it is S6 that is the individual season I'm most excited about seeing their response to (I haven't gotten to it yet with any of the reactors I'm watching). So that has to be my answer.

Three is such a small number. I'd love Giles, Wes, Spike, Buffy, Willow, Xander and Angel. Ugh. I'm going to choose Wes, Spike and Buffy. But I think Willow might have been the smarter choice over either Spike or Buffy as they offer a lot of the same skills. But I'm not going to ditch Spike and it feels wrong to ditch Buffy which means I'm stuck relying on Wes for additional skills. Really I'd like all seven I originally listed please.

I'm not really bothered about clothing but I did think there were some horrific choices over the seven seasons. I never liked the blue plastic coat and very false looking nails Buffy sported in Nightmares and some of the skirts were scarily short. But the worst individual choice probably would go to one of Willow's hats. It's just difficult to choose which is the worst! This is apparently by little-buffy-things.tumblr.com (I found this pic on Pinterest) and it illustrates some of the worst.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 04.21.20.png

There are some specific outfits that I think each member of the cast looked great in. But because I picked on Willow for the worst I want to give her some love too. I loved her new hair in S4 and seeing her looking more confident in her style.

I'd love either Wes or Cordelia to come to Sunnydale and the Scoobies get to see them anew. Probably Wes would be my first choice as I think he would be the most changed, from their pov.

I think Gnarl because there was more to the threat he posed from the element of immobilisation, being trapped like that. It's super scary. The Gentleman work in a similarly effective way, but Gnarl is more fear inducing because of how drawn out it is too. A very effective MotW.

I really like the idea of following a new generation of slayers post Chosen. Picking an individual slayer to follow in the context of the post tv show Buffyverse would be interesting. There's still the choice of whether to fight or not for any of the newly called slayers, but there are people in very varied circumstances and a new slayer that lived a very different life so faced different challenges/decisions because of the stage they were at would be interesting.

Comment

Nothing and 13 (unlucky number)

2) Where are you from?
          Northern Italy

3) When did you watch BtVS and Ats for the first time?
          When I was 11, the show was airing on the network in my country

At the moment I am not watching tv shows because I don't have much time.

joker-min.jpg
          Not only the character but also the archetype and symbol of "The Joker" is my favorite​​

There isn't a song I consider the best in the world. I principally listen to Metal music (and its various subgenres) and sometimes Hardcore because I personally like it the most, but I don't consider these genres and bands in terms of artistic value and quality. Obviously, I consider "classical music" (comprehending medieval, renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic music) the most valuable in terms of the artistic value of the music/genre and the artistic capabilities of composers compared to other music genres.
          I always liked the Cannon in D of Johann Pachelbel

I don't remember, probably some B movies

There isn't an answer to this question for me, there are different kinds of arts that I like in a different way and I can compare them.

9) Which Buffyverse season would you love to experience for the first time again?
          Season 2

10) The apocalypse is coming, which 3 Buffyverse characters do you want on your team?
          Buffy, Angel, Wesley of season 4-5 of Angel (i want also add Fred)

I don't really consider the worst styles, I tend to watch and consider more styles that I like than the ones I don't like
          I think that in seasons 1-2 fashion of the main characters (principally Xander and Willow) was "worse" because they should represent the "uncool". From season 3-4 onward the fashion and style of characters improved for me.

Spike's style in 1977 is/was my favorite style
          Spike - 1977

I like Buffy's style principally when she was dressed in a pink and girly style, she is very pretty and it is right for her, I love it.
          I also always liked Buffy here:
          c310da502722f46f3877d0e65d9f20b7.jpg
          Considering history fashion generally, I always liked more dresses and fashion of the 1700s compared to the 1800s and 1900s. I like some dresses by Angelus and Darla from the 1700s. (I have always liked Lestat's fashion and style of the 1700s)

Wesley

Gnarl

Despite I prefer Spike with Buffy as a couple, I would have loved to see a Faith spin-off with Spike as the secondary main character with her

Comment

• flow
            flow commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to see some Wesley love!

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            Choosing songs or pieces of art is a really difficult ask, so many can affect you. The Joker is a really interesting choice of favourite character.

with apologies for not, before....

It surfaced in the last months of a vicious year-long
          break-up of a 12-year relationship that had, in
          its second half, become quite—emotionally, primarily—
          abusive—

Not that I was far from without fault...

"StateOfSiege" references both a novel by the
          Spanish writer Juan Goytisolo, one vaguely
          thinking Sarajevo under siege, and my own
          sense of life-in-death those last months....

"97" marks the year we met....

2) Where are you from?
          I was born and raised in El Paso, Texas—

Since graduating high school, I have lived in

Upstate NY
          The Bay Area, CA—on and off between years in Europe
          Paris
          Berlin
          Prague—with a stint in Ljubljana
          Buffalo, NY
          An utterly flat, 2-block downtown college town in central Iowa
          Doha, Qatar
          The Bay Area once more

(But my feet, again, feel the itch... perhaps back to Berlin or to
          to Sarajevo... Or somewhere like Viet Nam, North Africa, or...)

3) When did you watch BtVS and AtS for the first time?
          In the Summer after my 4th year in grad school (2nd time), I stumbled
          upon BtVS one night while trying to avoid my dissertation: they were
          doing reruns of S2, prefaced by reruns of S1....

I came into the series on through The Pack

Ineluctable—

My capture immediately absolute....

I watched AtS when it appeared: my aforementioned now-ex-
          preferred it to Buffy, but after the first 2/3rds or so of S2, it
          began to pale upon me—aside from the Darla arc and
          bits of Wesley's, a few others—

I did rewatch the whole a few years ago, but it became a
          bit of a chore: I find it tries too hard, pretends to a depth it
          rarely reaches... It has rarely surprised me, moved me as
          BtVS has, in part because I can see, hear the wheels
          grinding in a most tedious way....

Not many: aside from the familiar shows (BtVS, Fringe, a
          few others) that I watch to fall asleep—

I do watch sports, mainly baseball these days, in the
          background, while I work....

And I watch one show at a time, about once a week:

I just finished Top Chef (am not much at all for reality, save
          TC and the rebooted Project Runway), trying to figure out what to
          give myself to next, as I am far too busy for a surrender to anything too
          engagingly serious, such as the 3rd season of Killing Eve, Lovecraft
          County, Underground Railroad

Them, once the deadlines have been met, completed,
          recovered from.....

Did notice Netflix is starting, soon, a program with Sandra Oh, whom
          I love, who becomes the first female chair of her—sinking—English
          department....

And she is a Dickinsonian: the preview shows her lying in bed with a
          volume of the Variorum edition—!

Until then, may try the new Gossip Girl, although I doubt it will be able
          to capture the brilliance that flashed through the original: it will be
          trying to do so... Never a successful plan.....

Part of me wants to say something obscure:

Austerlitz or the Narrator from Sebald's Austerlitz; Josephine
          from Kafka's "Josephine the Singer Or, the Mousepeople,"
          or, of course, either Isabel from Pierre, or the Ambiguities,
          or Ishmael from Moby-Dick... Or...

But I shall follow my most immediate emotions:

Buffy—

I cannot choose one. Simply impossible. So, a sampling.

Today:

Everything on Nick Cave's inimitably perfect Ghosteen,
          available free here:

Or his "The Higgs-Boson Blues" and "Into My Arms"

"Horses," Patti Smith

"Ghosts," David Sylvian/Japan

"Hejira," Joni Mitchell (and "Blue")

"Five Years," David Bowie

"Ne Nehledej," Iva Bittova

"Superstar," Karen Carpenter

"Tunic (Sing for Karen)," Sonic Youth

"Michelangelo-Lieder," Hugo Wolf (sung by Hans Hotter)

"Hard time Killn' Floor Blues," Skip James

"Hallelujah," Leonard Cohen, covered by Jeff Buckley

"Either Way," Wilco

I tend to erase bad movies...

However, the three most evil—the first two of which are
          also utterly brilliant:

Birth of a Nation (1915)

Triumph of the Will (1935)

Schindler's List (1993)

for painting, simplicity:

Guernica, Picasso

GUERNICA.jpg

for music:

Arvo Paart, Tabula Rasa

Beethoven, 7th

Bartok, String Quartets

Cecil Taylor, Air Above Mountains

Schubert, Late Piano Concertos

Reich, The Desert Music

Mahler, 9th

Mingus, Pithecanthropus Erectus

Janacek, String Quartets

Cage, Empty Words

Messian,, St. Francis of Assisi

Coleman, This Is Our Music

Verdi, Requiem

Berg, Lulu

Steve Lacy, Futurities

I wanted to go onto movies... but find this gather, excluding
          far, far too draining.....*

S6—

It is easy to say S2, in hopes of experiencing the shock of Angel's
          turn, Buffy's murder of him, once more....

But the thick complexity of S6, the even greater shock, to me, of
          her revelation in After Life; of her resistant trauma and depression;
          of the Scoobies' turn into the normative forces from which Buffy had
          freed them, normative forces they impose as much upon themselves
          as they do upon her; Buffy and Spike, the violence, the cruelty, the
          liberation she finds through that violence; Normal Again.... I shall not
          natter on, shall only stress than this season turned in more unexpectedly
          insightful, profound ways for me than did any other—

That each reewatch upon each, the unexpected, the unseen surfaces; the
          whole season ever again to gives me yet more to think, opens onto an
          experiencing newly now....

Buffy—
          Because, as she notes early in S6, she's really good at that; it's what she does....

Willow—
          Not just for her witchy powers but for the particular slant of her brilliance, the value of the
          way it works aslant Buffy's—both the power of their combination and her ability to see
          where Buffy falls into straying, to nudge her back....

And much as I hate to leave out Spike, well, the world is at stake here....

Wesley—
          Again, his different way of thinking, seeing—that relentless edge that always
          puts the world first, no matter the personal cost—to others and himself,
          the winnowing it works upon him. What this will give, and the way
          Buffy will know when, at what point, to stop him, how to stop him and still
          show that "The Mission is what Matters"—something Willow cannot
          be always trusted to do, must be kept in line to do....

Most of Buffy S3:

So many unforgivably mumsy outfits....

I know they sought to contrast her against Faith,
          but did they have to age her into a soccer mom,
          kill the humor of her style, the creativity, in the
          process—?

I'm not sure this comprises all my most favorite outfits, but as
          no one has mentioned it, as I think it deserves some love:

Willow S2:

The tights and interestingly colored all-but-mismatching long tops/
          sweaters and short skirts: very expressive of her growing sense
          of self, of the powerful woman upon whose becoming she
          was verging—

This without the t-shirts covered with silly images, the ugly
          sweaters, and other infelicities that would come to attempt
          articulation of her quirkiness, that ended up dumbing her
          down, rendering her more awkward than she had, by then,
          moved into being....

Again, Wesley: would love to see how he and Buffy would work
          together, especially with the Scoobies (Xander and a mature Wesley?
          Shiver.... ) and Spike involved....

Gnarl:

Everything about him, from his attributes to the shape of his body to,
          most of all, his voice, utterly wigs me out: he speaks with that
          deadly, dreadfully coaxing tone; I feel him peeling my skin off
          my body, taking pleasure in doing so, in lapping up the blood,
          lapping it ever-so-gently, from my now exposed tendons....

(eeew-ick emoji here.....
          (not a cheerful one like those available....)

Rather than working with the characters we already know, I would prefer to delve
          into either the Future (Frey) or the Past (Tales of the Slayers)—

The latter would be different from what the comix have offered:

It would spend more time on some—

Although to build a complex, suspenseful rhythm, some would die quickly—

The rhythm would intertwine the current Chosen one and, perhaps, one or two
          of the next to be (allowing us to explore Kennedy's feelings—her desperate
          desire to be the Slayer, to have the current one die, to, perhaps, in one
          instance, even attempt to effect this herself or through a lover or a turn to
          the dark arts)—all, most often, unknown to each other, on different continents—

This could deepen, complicate the mythology, the history and working of the
          Watchers' Council, perhaps more fully involve the Slayers in their times
          and cultures (the French Revolution, slavery—I'd love to see an enslaved
          Slayer having to choose to save the Master who has raped her and sold
          her children down the river—India during early colonialism, etc)....

•Why nothing about the most wrenching/compelling/beautiful/annoying/
          something thing we've ever read—?

Last edited by StateOfSiege97; 23-07-21, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
            StateOfSiege97 commented
            Editing a comment
            dear @Stoney—

Thanksthanksthanks

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            Love your apocalypse team, it's the one I should have had but I couldn't leave out Spike. I still think I'd be trying to file emergency paperwork for a team expansion.

• flow
            flow commented
            Editing a comment
            I can feel Gnarl peeling my skin off now ... *shudders ...

StateOfSiege97 wrote: Why nothing about the most wrenching/compelling/beautiful/annoying/something thing we've ever read—?
          No reason other than choosing a handful of questions for a starting point. We can always add on others and answer more.

Comment

Working...
          X