Activity lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activity lists

Stoney - I've copied this out from another thread to discuss the activity lists.

Hi and welcome! Hope you have fun here. It's not the easiest place to navigate, so if you need help, just shout

I thought BuffyForums was pretty easy to navigate, especially with some of the newer features and structures that have been added. What improvements would help?

Comment

It's probably just me, I'm not terribly technical.

Comment

Clicking 'view all' at the bottom of the home page activity column gives a more detailed list of the latest posts/threads. It expands the summary on the home page if you want more and prefer that to browsing or using subscriptions.

Comment

I'm sorry Stoney but the other place ruined me. I just loved their rolling forum that takes you to the last post and puts the thread to the top when a new post appears.

Comment

As I wanted to understand this better and discuss what kind of change this would be or help to find the information you'd prefer I've extracted it from the welcome thread and brought it to the suggestions area, I hope you don't mind Priceless .

I'm trying to understand how the activity list isn't exactly what you are describing. The most recently posted in thread goes to the top of the activity column (the new right hand column on the home page). If you click the blue arrow next to the thread title it will take you to the newest post since you last logged in. If you choose to click on the blue arrow next to the time of the last post it will just take you to the most recent one instead. That's a rolling activity list.

If you want to see more details about the threads/poster then clicking on the 'view all' button at the bottom of the activity column takes you to a more detailed search (and a longer list). If you made that 'view all' page your home page for the site you could have that greater detail straight away if you prefer that. But both of these are rolling activity lists.

I do think it would be helpful if the activity column on the home page gave the name of the last poster (rather than thread creator) and listed the subforum the thread is in, but I haven't been able to get it to include that information on the summary column yet. But as I say, those details are there if you 'view all'.

You could also go to the 'latest activity' tab and turn the filter for new threads (topics) off and that would also show you a more detailed list of individual posts (and the initial sentence of the posts that way too). That might also be a view you'd prefer to have as a home page. Again, it is another rolling activity list.

Comment

It's great Stoney, please don't feel like I'm attacking you or the mods or the forum, because I'm not. I'm very grateful to have this place to come to to discuss my obsession. But in all honesty I do think it's cumbersome to navigate and hard to find things, and for the younger generation used to Reddit, tumblr etc. it must be a whole new world.

I have tried to use the rolling list and it doesn't go to the last post after your last post, it goes to the very last post. So 10 people may have posted and you have to scroll up to find your last post to be able to read all the posts after yours in order.

Once you're read it, it still stays in the list, it doesn't move down or up and there is no 'marked as read' button to hide it.

I'm probably doing this wrong, but every time you come out of a thread you have to go back to 'forums', 'activity lists' 'view all' to start again. It's cumbersome and not particularly user friendly.

Unless I'm doing it all wrong, which I fully accept is possible But that's part of the problem. The forum isn't designed for me, the lowest common denominator who is completely untechnical and knows nothing about computers or websites etc.

I stick to 'Notifications' and just hope I've subscribed to every thread I'm interested in. Sometimes I try 'new posts' or 'search' if I vaguely remember the title of a thread that I can't find. I manage, but I feel bad for new people, who have to have a lesson on how to use the site before they even start - like Jonathan says about microwaves, it should be intuitive

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                It's great Stoney, please don't feel like I'm attacking you or the mods or the forum, because I'm not. I'm very grateful to have this place to come to to discuss my obsession. But in all honesty I do think it's cumbersome to navigate and hard to find things, and for the younger generation used to Reddit, tumblr etc. it must be a whole new world.

Unless I'm doing it all wrong, which I fully accept is possible But that's part of the problem. The forum isn't designed for me, the lowest common denominator who is completely untechnical and knows nothing about computers or websites etc.

I stick to 'Notifications' and just hope I've subscribed to every thread I'm interested in. Sometimes I try 'new posts' or 'search' if I vaguely remember the title of a thread that I can't find. I manage, but I feel bad for new people, who have to have a lesson on how to use the site before they even start - like Jonathan says about microwaves, it should be intuitive
                I suppose that is always the problem with these things, it all seems pretty intuitive to me. And honestly I'm not taking it personally, I am happier hearing about people's experiences so that I can either help them (it might be a straightforward misunderstanding), or so that I can consider things that might need changing. I always genuinely want to help and look to improve the site for the members.

I have tried to use the rolling list and it doesn't go to the last post after your last post, it goes to the very last post. So 10 people may have posted and you have to scroll up to find your last post to be able to read all the posts after yours in order.
                That only happens if you click on the blue arrow next to the time of the last post (with the red cross in the pic below). If you select the blue arrow next to the thread title it'll take you to the first post you haven't read since you were last in that thread, so no scrolling back needed (where the green circle is).

Once you're read it, it still stays in the list, it doesn't move down or up and there is no 'marked as read' button to hide it.
                Once you have read all the posts in the thread the blue arrow next to the thread title (the green circled one) will go and the thread title will no longer be bold (like the title the orange arrow is pointing at, as opposed to the bold unread thread titles below that).

These rules are the same if you are in the 'view all' larger list.

The only way to get the items to disappear off the list once you've read them is to view the activity since your last visit through the new posts link. The threads listed in there, the ones with unread posts since you last logged in, will disappear from that list once you have gone into the threads.

I'm probably doing this wrong, but every time you come out of a thread you have to go back to 'forums', 'activity lists' 'view all' to start again. It's cumbersome and not particularly user friendly.
                If you hit 'back' on your browser it'll take you back to the last viewed page, so back to the 'new posts' or 'view all' page if that is where you were. If you're just looking at the activity column to the right on the home page obviously you'll just be back on the home page. There you can just scroll and look at the right hand column for the threads with unread posts (as per the listing rules above).

Of course you can set any page on the site to be your bookmarked link into the site. You can save your BF bookmark to be the 'view all' list or the 'new posts' page if you'd prefer and then you'll always enter the site to view the activity there automatically with just one click.

Personally, I go through notifications putting the filter on to show 'both' at the top so I can see dismissed and new. This is so I don't miss any notices relating to comments, likes, or posts that are all for the same thread. I could bookmark that page (notifications with the 'both' filter on), but I don't bother myself. I then look at the activity column on the home page or 'new posts' to make sure I don't miss any new threads. It's finding the way that works best for you. But there are a lot of options.

Comment

• Priceless
                  Priceless commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Stoney but it isn't intuitive to me, not at all. But I'll have a practice

Priceless Well hopefully some of the above will help. I would love to know how you get on with it.

And to hear from anyone else that has similar problems. Without feedback and understanding how others find things I can't know what to look at to change/improve for members, so feedback is definitely a very welcome thing.

Comment

• Priceless
                  Priceless commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Always happy to give feedback

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd much rather hear about problems than not have a chance to help or fix them. So definitely do.

I always use the New Posts button when I come to the forum. It shows me every thread that has had a new post (or several new posts) since I have last read in that thread. Only when I have already read a new post but not yet replied to it and want to do that now I switch to the Activity List because it shows all the threads with new posts no matter if I have read them already or not.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

Working...
                X