Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional BF Site Banners

Taken from the glitches thread....

I've been cycling through the skins and want more, more, more! Do we have a limit?

Would love to see a skin with the three Slayers of the TV show - Buffy, Kendra, Faith - maybe one for the Potentials - and maybe skins for all the different seasons of Buffy and Angel that aren't already represented (like Angel Season Five with NFA).

Animals of Buffy and Angel would be fantastic, too! We've got Sunshine and Kitty Fantastico and Anya's rabbits. You can't have too many cat, dog and bunny pictures even on a Buffy website.

Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
    I've been cycling through the skins and want more, more, more! Do we have a limit?
    We have a handful of the existing skins that we didn't get a banner for and I do believe that we can create new skins too. I don't know if there is any limit to that. The limitation that we do have is active fanartists that are ready and able to make the banners. It could be something you could open as a suggestion thread in this section about maybe and it might flag the option of adding more to other users who might be inspired. Nina put together this thread when we were first looking for banners last year, so I'm not sure if it would be better to link to that or reopen it.

Perhaps, if the suggestion is made in a thread here and there are a number of people interested and offering to produce banners we can look at which ones weren't used so far. I think you can 'clone' the existing styles and then tweak the colours etc to generate a new style. So I don't think we would be limited to the 3 or 4 that didn't already get a new banner. I had intended to make another, I had a rough idea in mind, but as well as the rough ideas I had for the last two challenges, I just haven't found the time around all the other site related to dos. But art pieces take me aaaaages to do.

In the past when we had a lot of active fanartists we used to run a competition for the chosen banner for each style rather than having a large number of styles. I'm not sure if there was a particular reason for doing it that way other than the competition being a fun feature with so many artists at that time. Nina may know more about the thinking and limitations on this element.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

In the past when we had a lot of active fanartists we used to run a competition for the chosen banner for each style rather than having a large number of styles. I'm not sure if there was a particular reason for doing it that way other than the competition being a fun feature with so many artists at that time. Nina may know more about the thinking and limitations on this element.
      I wasn't part of the crew back then, so I don't know why it was done that way. But back then we had a lot of competitions in the Fan Art section with battles and challenges. People enjoyed participating in a competition, so that might very well be the reason. And this way all artists could enter banners for the styles they liked.

Comment

• American Aurora
        American Aurora commented
        Editing a comment
        I love all of the banners on BF and cycle through them constantly. But it would be great to have even more - enough to fill up a month without duplicating the same image! Kind of a one-a-day BuffyForums calendar.

I would love to make more banners; unfortunately it all boils down to lack of time. But specific requests like yours tend to get my creative juices flowing, so who knows...!
      https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Double Dutchess, that would be fantastic! If you could find the time, I'd love to see what you come up with!

Comment

American Aurora As you can see, I've pulled the discussion about the banners into its own thread so that we can explore more the question of creating/having additional banners.

The rules/specifications as were given previously in this thread about creating new banners is below for reference. If anyone is interested in creating a banner or has a suggestion for a theme or idea for a new banner then they can mention it here.

There are a small handful of styles that aren't currently active that could have an banner added if anyone feels inspired to develop one for a missing style. I've included a screen grab of those under the spoiler here so that the fonts/colour schemes can be viewed to coordinate. Obviously, the banner would appear above the headings of the screengrabs.
          Spoiler:
          Blue/Yellow

Grunge

Pink

Stripes

Rules:
          1. You can adopt several styles, but start with one. That way others also have a chance. If some styles are still free after a week, feel free to pick some other styles.
          2. Did you adopt a style but can't find the time to finish the banner, that's fine. But let us know, that way somebody else can make a banner for the style.
          3. Every banner should be a JPG file.
          4. Every banner should have a width of 1400 pixels. The height should be at least 181 pixels and not more than 300 pixels.
          5. Make sure the quality of the pictures is high enough.
          6. Since it's going to be our banner, it's very important to check if you are allowed to use the pictures you picked. Give credit and don't use art by others.
          7. Make sure it fits the style.
          8. Try to fit in "BuffyForums" or "BF".
          9. The banner for Default should feature Buffy (with possibly some Angel).
          10. Other banners can feature anything. But try to pick something rather neutral (avoid ships or very devisive characters/people).

Brendan , I noticed when I looked back at the old thread calling for the new banners that you had put your name against creating one for Grey Stripes but it is still the previous banner that is up. I wasn't sure if you hadn't been able to do one, or if the upload has reverted. I couldn't remember seeing one of yours but wanted to check with you first rather than adding that style to the list of those we hadn't created a new one for.

Nina , Would we revise the previous approach of limiting the number of banners to one for each of the varying styles? So, if a member is inspired to create a banner that fits one of the existing styles, it could be added as another option for that style? I appreciate we may want to try to get variety across them still though, rather than end up with 7 that fit gradient and only one for everything else. Plus, it would possibly mean renaming the styles or at least naming the new ones by the banner content rather than the colour scheme if we were going to mix it up somewhat. So Blue/Green as it is could be Fanged Four, for example.

I think it is probably better still to have banners created to meet the site styles (rather than making a style to 'fit' a banner). But having more banners would be nice, especially with a variety of content, but reviewing and changing them would probably become less likely and we'd have a list that keeps building and building. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

• American Aurora
            Editing a comment
            Yay! Very Excited! Looking forward to what people come up with! Slayers! Potentials! Different Seasons of Buffy and Angel! Animals!

Nina , Would we revise the previous approach of limiting the number of banners to one for each of the varying styles? So, if a member is inspired to create a banner that fits one of the existing styles, it could be added as another option for that style? I appreciate we may want to try to get variety across them still though, rather than end up with 7 that fit gradient and only one for everything else. Plus, it would possibly mean renaming the styles or at least naming the new ones by the banner content rather than the colour scheme if we were going to mix it up somewhat. So Blue/Green as it is could be Fanged Four, for example.
          If somebody makes a banner for BF, we can probably find or create a style for it (also if it's a duplicate of an already used style). Naming the styles after the banners would be cool btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
            If somebody makes a banner for BF, we can probably find or create a style for it (also if it's a duplicate of an already used style). Naming the styles after the banners would be cool btw.
            Fab. If you think matching a style to a banner would be fairly simple. I suppose it might only require a colour tweak perhaps. (famous last words )

So, really it's an open option if someone comes up with a banner to fit an existing style, or just one that is designed to be a new BF banner by the specifications above that we can try to tweak a style to fit. I'll have a think about renaming the existing ones too, but that might not hit the top of the to dos until I've gotten the review out of the way.

As I said above, if anyone has any other specific ideas for possible banners that might present inspiration/challenge to our fanartists, please do feel free to mention it. Again, within the accepted themes as per the specifications above.

Comment

Hey! So, I'm not a fan artist but I love these styles (especially "grunge"—I'm hoping "pink" can make a return if someone attempts that.) I've tried to come up with a season six banner. This is a tentative banner, I can try changing it in any way suggested (better yet, hopefully someone more skilled will attempt to make something!)

It's the group promo shot of S6—I've tried to get as close to the forum BF logo font as I could manage. Maybe it'll help set the ball rolling. I'm playing around with the resizing and picture quality (this is 1400 by 283.) Would this maybe work for something like "grunge"? Or anything else.

My only issue with the "grunge" style is that while I love the skin, the font isn't very readable for me. Verdana or any of the current fonts on Wood, Dark and Default are the most readable for me, personally. So if we do end up bringing back "grunge", I'd love to have its font changed—if everyone's okay with that—to Verdana. Maybe it's worth creating a poll to find out which fonts are most popular for most members?

Spoiler:

more versions—

Slightly different sizing:

Version with Giles' inclusion:

Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 04-06-21, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
                SpuffyGlitz commented
                Editing a comment
                thank you all Double Dutchess I love yours, one of my faves in the SS contest (and I loved your winning banner too!)

• Brendan
                Brendan commented
                Editing a comment
                I love THIS banner! You did a great job of capturing season 6!

• SpuffyGlitz
                SpuffyGlitz commented
                Editing a comment
                Brendan, aww thank you so much

Thanks for looking at this SpuffyGlitz .
              I love the chocolate brown. I'm not as sure that the strong red/orange hue in it works so well against the very yellow tint to the Grunge style. But then it does give some contrast. What do you think? (I've dropped one of your versions against it to look how they'd sit together...)

I think the higher resolution of the Giles version is great and the background elements that come with the full pic are interesting, but with the clear photo edging it perhaps looks a bit dropped in? It also makes the 'Buffy' logo and Sweet look a little blurry in comparison. Do you have any higher resolution options for them? Also, is the file 1400 wide? The copies I was accessing kept coming up smaller.

I do really love the inclusion of Sweet and I very much like the idea of having banners for the various seasons.

I would agree that the Grunge font isn't especially nice to read. I don't mind trying to change this to one of the others. It might be something to poll about, but if everyone is finding some of the fonts harder to read there's no great benefit to offering the variety. I think I'd rather stick with lower font variety in the main text to improve readability for the majority. Nina did you find there were set options for the font families or did you just lift them from existing styles?

Double Dutchess , in regards to the banner you were talking about in the Instagram thread, I think it perhaps is one to put to one side to potentially use later. I don't know what Nina thinks, but I feel that if we were putting up shippy banners we would need to have a few to give variety that all went up as options at the same time.

Comment

Double Dutchess , in regards to the banner you were talking about in the Instagram thread, I think it perhaps is one to put to one side to potentially use later. I don't know what Nina thinks, but I feel that if we were putting up shippy banners we would need to have a few to give variety that all went up as options at the same time.
                I agree there should be something for everyone and not just Spuffy. I would be happy enough to make banners for other ships too, if I can find the time. The advantage of this one was that I already had it lying around, and only needed to tweak it a bit.
                https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
                  I agree there should be something for everyone and not just Spuffy. I would be happy enough to make banners for other ships too, if I can find the time. The advantage of this one was that I already had it lying around, and only needed to tweak it a bit.
                  I appreciate it was related to the Seasonal Spuffy entry and the discussion for Instagram pieces. I don't want to dismiss the potential of using it, definitely. But yeah, I think if we are going to step into ship banners we'll need a variety all ready to go. So I've put it into a folder of potential site banners. I really do like getting the comics represented in the mix some too, so it is hitting other banner pros as well.

I'm happy to help with banners too when I've got some other things cleared from my to dos. And these things can be built up steadily if we're going for multiple banner options, there isn't a rush.

Comment

Thanks Stoney—I'll change the orange to a different colour to see if that works better. You're right, orange might not be best for the grunge style. Agree that the Giles-including group photo seems to have the highest resolution, compared to the others—I wish I could find the highest resolution for each of the promo pics. I didn't know where to look for the sharpest versions.

I can use the last (sharpest) group photo and change the edging in that, while recolouring the orange of the text. As for the sizes, the first one is definitely 1400 by 283, I checked, so is the last one. I think the middle is probably extra blurry because it's not. What were the sizes coming up for you?

I'll try to get the Buffy logo at a higher res, sadly I'm not sure I can make Sweet sharper but I'll see! When I'm done I'll post it here to see how it compares.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I'm happy with either holding a poll about the font or not—(whatever works out to be the most practical.) Thanks!

UPDATE:

Stoney Is the resolution any better now? These are the high res images from the Jennie Lou website you provided (that was really helpful, thanks a ton!) I've tried sharpening Sweet too and I've changed the colour of the Buffy logo—using the new orange logo you provided (I just changed the colour.) This is 1400 (width) by 273 (height) pixels.

I'll probably work on any further changes later this week or tomorrow—as you say, there isn't a huge rush. <3 Thanks so much again!

Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 05-06-21, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Nina did you find there were set options for the font families or did you just lift them from existing styles?

The latter, I copied the settings of a style with the desired font.

Comment

Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
                        Thanks Stoney—I'll change the orange to a different colour to see if that works better. ​ You're right, orange might not be best for the grunge style. Agree that the Giles-including group photo seems to have the highest resolution, compared to the others—I wish I could find the highest resolution for each of the promo pics. I didn't know where to look for the sharpest versions.
                        I wasn't sure with the colouring. Having a play around with it will probably help to decide what is best. ​ If you need me to see if I can find out the codes for any of the colours in 'Grunge', if it isn't clear enough to gauge in the screenshot, don't hesitate to ask. Your creative effort and energy is very much appreciated.

Where did you find the promo shots you have? Did you try looking at the Buffy gallery on Jennie Lou's site? - http://fractured-simplicity.net/dayd...dex.php?cat=87 I'm not sure she has the same group shot with Giles that you had though. But it's generally a good place to look for promo pics of a good quality.

I can use the last (sharpest) group photo and change the edging in that, while recolouring the orange of the text.
                        Did you put an orange filter on the pics too? I don't know what, if indeed anything, needs trying with the edging. I tend to layer textures all over but having a straight shot can work well too. I haven't done many banners at all so I don't have great tips on banner specific use of negative space. Possibly line work if you want to avoid blends and textures? Nina is definitely the line expert.

As for the sizes, the first one is definitely 1400 by 283, I checked, so is the last one. I think the middle is probably extra blurry because it's not. What were the sizes coming up for you?
                        When I follow the link through to imgur and click on the first file it opens as 1100 x 223 for me. But I have checked and if I download a copy it saves it as 1400 x 283 as you say.

I'll try to get the Buffy logo at a higher res, sadly I'm not sure I can make Sweet sharper but I'll see! When I'm done I'll post it here to see how it compares.
                        Aside from making a screenshot from the HD and cutting out the character for Sweet, I'm not sure where you'd get a higher quality shot. I don't mind doing that to help if it would, but I won't be able to get to that for a little while. So you may find a solution before then.

If this helps, here's my cut out of the Buffy logo (under spoiler for size)...
                        Spoiler:

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! ​ I'm happy with either holding a poll about the font or not—(whatever works out to be the most practical.)
                        Thank you for having a look at something so soon! Re: the font, it might be worth getting to the point of having the style ready and then seeing what it looks like/asking if anyone feels strongly about changing the font then. As I said earlier, there isn't any rush with these.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
                          SpuffyGlitz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow, this is all incredibly helpful! I hadn't heard of the Jenni Lou site (I'd just googled Buffy S6 promo photos.) The resolution on that site is *infinitely* superior, thank you! Great thoughts, I'll get back in a bit

I wasn't sure with the colouring. Having a play around with it will probably help to decide what is best. ​ If you need me to see if I can find out the codes for any of the colours in 'Grunge', if it isn't clear enough to gauge in the screenshot, don't hesitate to ask. Your creative effort and energy is very much appreciated.
                        That's really helpful of you to offer! It's hard to tell from the screencap exactly which shades feature in the Grunge style, but they mainly seem like brown/yellow/warm undertones. So I wouldn't ask you to go to all that trouble, unless you feel it will make a real difference.

Where did you find the promo shots you have? Did you try looking at the Buffy gallery on Jennie Lou's site? - http://fractured-simplicity.net/dayd...dex.php?cat=87 I'm not sure she has the same group shot with Giles that you had though. But it's generally a good place to look for promo pics of a good quality.
                        This was super useful to know, thanks a ton! I'm kind of groping in the dark, it never occurred to me where to look so I googled S6 promo shots. Obviously, the image quality randomly on the net isn't good. I didn't open any website so I can't exactly recall where, I just downloaded the image. But I've switched to using the Jennie Lou images now thanks to you, which is a big save.

Did you put an orange filter on the pics too? I don't know what, if indeed anything, needs trying with the edging. I tend to layer textures all over but having a straight shot can work well too. I haven't done many banners at all so I don't have great tips on banner specific use of negative space. Possibly line work if you want to avoid blends and textures? Nina is definitely the line expert.
                        No orange filter, there are only a few colour tints on microsoft word and this was the only brown-ish filter. I'm going to admit I have no clue what "line work" here means I'm in awe of your skills and the Wood skin has a gorgeous texture—I don't think this is going to reach that level of clarity though! If you can explain in easy terms about line work I can try to do it, if hopefully I have the tools to do so. No photoshop, so I can't cut out anything unfortunately. I can only colour carefully around the edges.

When I follow the link through to imgur and click on the first file it opens as 1100 x 223 for me. But I have checked and if I download a copy it saves it as 1400 x 283 as you say.
                        Oh, that's good! I was worried it may not have converted/resized to the right size.

Aside from making a screenshot from the HD and cutting out the character for Sweet, I'm not sure where you'd get a higher quality shot. I don't mind doing that to help if it would, but I won't be able to get to that for a little while. So you may find a solution before then.
                        Oh, thanks, that makes sense! I've tried sharpening it now. Actually this is from HD, but if it's still not very sharp, then I can take a better screenshot and re-tint it and draw the star again.. The star made it easier to colour round the edges that way.

If this helps, here's my cut out of the Buffy logo (under spoiler for size)...
                        Spoiler:
                        That was really helpful, thanks a ton! I used this and re-coloured it in a yellow tint (again, only one available) and hopefully it looks sharper. If not, I'll have to figure something else out.

Thank you for having a look at something so soon! Re: the font, it might be worth getting to the point of having the style ready and then seeing what it looks like/asking if anyone feels strongly about changing the font then. As I said earlier, there isn't any rush with these.
                        Not at all, I was pleased that there are going to be more styles for the forum, in addition to what we already have!

Sorry this isn't more polished, it was only today I attempted it. In the meanwhile, if anyone wants to create something for Grunge (or work some magic on my own attempt, lol) that would be awesome! As you say, there isn't a rush. If you do spot anything that could use further changing or tweaking, do let me know. It can always function as a stand-by banner. Thanks again.

Comment

• Stoney
                          Stoney commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The changed resolutions are great SpuffyGlitz. I'll drop you a PM about the lines and colouring options.

Stoney Yes, I did create a banner for grey stripes, but at the time, my computer broke and lost all of my files, but I was lucky enough to recover the forum signature size.

The banner for grey strips is on my current forum signature. But I lost the main file when my computer broke.

I'm interested in creating some banners for new skins. I have some ideas I want to create a dedicated banner for each season? so is it possible you guys could create a new skin that connects to the overall banner?

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
                          Stoney Yes, I did create a banner for grey stripes, but at the time, my computer broke and lost all of my files, but I was lucky enough to recover the forum signature size.
                          Oh no! Dratted technology. And your signature is beautiful, such a shame that you lost the full banner. I tend to have a panic roughly fortnightly and back up everything and then forget to do it regularly again like I swear I'm going to and don't back up again until my next panic is due!

I'm interested in creating some banners for new skins. I have some ideas I want to create a dedicated banner for each season? so is it possible you guys could create a new skin that connects to the overall banner?
                          What do you mean by overall banner? The site Default style?

Comment

Thank you for the comment about my banner, Stoney but I could easily make it again. I might go back to it!

What do you mean by overall banner? The site Default style?
                            For example, if I create a banner for season one, it's not for the default.

It's a brand new skin called season one, season two, etc. I hope that makes sense. Buffyboards is a great example.

Comment

• American Aurora
                              Editing a comment
                              Oooh! New Banners! New Banners! Yay!

• SpuffyGlitz
                              SpuffyGlitz commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Very excited about this! I've noticed the options in BB—it would be a huge boon to the forum if you could do this

I hope I didn't confuse people about my question.

I'm asking if it's possible to create a brand new template skin based on my banner.

For example, I don't want to rely on the colours of the existing skins.

Comment

Working...
                            X