Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Stoney and the migration team. Everything is looking good as I explore the site. I truly appreciate the effort you've made.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
      Thank you Stoney and the migration team. Everything is looking good as I explore the site. I truly appreciate the effort you've made.
      Hey GoSpuffy! It's great to see someone back with us so soon.

We're working on trying to see if we can set up a redirect from the old host but hoping that in the meantime members saw the notice about the URL or try the main domain.

Some of the smilies have been affected and there are odd text characters missing, but we'll try to sweep them up as we go along. Please let us know if you notice anything that's gone awry. Once we're happy we've landed safely we'll start to think about the restructuring again.

It's worth noting that it seems avatars are going to need uploading again to get the quality back.

Comment

• Just a couple of post migration notices:

- SMILIES - We're aware that some of the smilies have reloaded differently after the migration and I'm talking to vBulletin to try to see if these can be recovered.

- BROKEN LINKS - Some of the links within the site itself are broken because of the move to the domain root, but I've started setting up fixes for these and hopefully should be able to finish this today.

- AVATARS - As mentioned before, the migration has also thrown out the avatar quality again, since we increased the size of those, so please reload your avatars and that should fix that.

If anyone notices anything else, please do report it and we'll see if we can figure it out.

Comment

• It all looks amazing! And I like the smilies Huge thanks for the smooth, successful migration!

Comment

• Just a quick update on the broken links - as far as I'm aware I have fixed these now and corrected the links through the Help pages too. If anyone comes across any broken links at any point please let me know.

Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
            It all looks amazing! And I like the smilies Huge thanks for the smooth, successful migration!
            Hopefully some of the smilies might change back and we'll lose the ones that are repeated at least, if we can't revert them all. But I'm glad they are mostly there.

Comment

• Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              It's not a problem, I've messaged them.

• Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              SlickPic have done some tweaks, SpuffyGlitz are you able to see them again yet?

• SpuffyGlitz
              SpuffyGlitz commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes perfectly now! Able to see everything Thanks so much Stoney!

• Congrats on the successful migration and thank you for all the hard work! It's truly appreciated!

lovely new smileys, too!

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Originally posted by flow View Post
              Congrats on the successful migration and thank you for all the hard work! It's truly appreciated!

lovely new smileys, too!

flow
              Yes, fantastic job so far! With all new colorful smileys! Very nice! I can now do the partial hokey pokey in honor of Giles!

I have got to change my picture, though, to something a bit cleaner.

Comment

• Stoney
                Stoney commented
                Editing a comment
                Well I'm trying to get the old smileys that were lost reinstated but will try to load in the new ones we liked too if they go. Just reloading your avatar should fix it.

• Been having difficulties viewing site. I thought it was down. Turns out Opera no longer thinks it is a valid site, so it says it is not found and wont load it. Usually they do this with sites that have a mix of secure and insecure elements. Fortunately, i was able to load it on firefox, but i cannot use firefox as it does not scale properly on my phone and i cannot read 5 point type

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
                Been having difficulties viewing site. I thought it was down. Turns out Opera no longer thinks it is a valid site, so it says it is not found and wont load it. Usually they do this with sites that have a mix of secure and insecure elements. Fortunately, i was able to load it on firefox, but i cannot use firefox as it does not scale properly on my phone and i cannot read 5 point type
                Hi DeepBlueJoy , thanks for flagging this. We have had some initial problems with the move onto the root domain but Ehlwyen has set an option in the background late afternoon today which is connecting the two now. If you could let me know if this is still a problem for you that would be helpful (although the changes were something that could take a few hours to fully filter through so it might be better to see how it is behaving tomorrow). I'm not familiar with Opera, are there other browsers that you use that do/don't respond the same?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
                  Been having difficulties viewing site. I thought it was down. Turns out Opera no longer thinks it is a valid site, so it says it is not found and wont load it. Usually they do this with sites that have a mix of secure and insecure elements. Fortunately, i was able to load it on firefox, but i cannot use firefox as it does not scale properly on my phone and i cannot read 5 point type
                  Yep I was getting exactly the same problem. So pleased It's sorted now though.

Comment

• Stoney
                    Stoney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pleased to hear it's working for you and sounds like perhaps that problem has fixed with Ehlwyen's setting change.

• Does seem like. I've only managed to get on this site today, is It must be her work.

Comment

• I am back on opera. I use it because it does prper word wrapping when i zoom in, something other phone browsers seem to have issues with.

On my desktop i use pale moon, a firefox fork. I have not tried this on there. Will let you know.

Comment

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Blue. Also, the changing size of the avatars has made them appear fuzzy. If you are able to reload it, that should fix that too.

• Rosely
                      Rosely commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh wow Opera! I didn't know it still existed!

• Yay! I fixed my avatar and now i can actually see it again!

Thank you!

Comment

• All the smilies are back except one and I took copies of a few of the new ones that we gained. So these should all be appearing for everyone again now, plus the extras. I really like this new smilie.

We are still trying to work on adding redirects into the site as old links to specific pages don't redirect. But they do at least now after Ehlwyen's change bring you into the live site where the message about the URL change can be seen. Any Googled links to the old home page do redirect to the actual main forum page now too.

Again, if anyone notices anything else please post here or drop me a message.

Comment

• The option to join groups has been fixed, for those of you who noticed that this feature had been lost. Thanks flow for helping me to check/test that.

Comment

• Cannot view notifications without resetting the filters to show dismissed EVERY TIME. Since we got new site. Recently itseems worse.

When i hit the notification button, the notifications are automatically dismissed and it is seriously annoying. And i cannot set the filter to permanently view dismissed notifications. (I would dismiss them manually). Used to be they aged off the page and i could see even those i had recently viewed. Now they vanish and it is a multiple step hassle to bring them back.

Sorry, but the way that other buffy forum does notifications is the way it used to work (perfectly) on this site before. That was functional. This glitch is part of why i don't really follow new stuff on the site anymore and participate much less than I would like. I can't find stuff and even threads i post to aren't always easy to find and follow.

The notification function is more important than it used to be and it is harder to use.
                          Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 28-01-21, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• flow
                            flow commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It won't help with the glitch you are encountering but if you want to see the new stuff you could use the new topics button on the main forum site. That's how I view new posts, threads, and even comments.

• GoSpuffy
                            GoSpuffy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            This isn't a problem for me

• DeepBlueJoy Okay I'll have a look at this. I had noticed that you can't use the 'back' function to view your remaining notices as easily (which helped to see multiple ones within the same threads) without viewing all the dismissed notices. I hadn't experienced them just going though. If anyone else has it would be helpful to know. But I'll generally look at the optional settings for notifications.

Comment

• DeepBlueJoy I think the thing that has changed is that all notices that relate to the same thread will disappear even if you go 'back' to them. So any other comments or likes that were in the same thread are marked as dismissed. I can't see any other difference than that. I have put in a question about whether there is any way we can affect the notification settings for this so that all notices need individually dismissing.

What you could do in the meantime as a solution is to go into your filter to see both dismissed and new notifications and then create a bookmark of that page. This will then always take you into your full notification list.

Comment

• Just another update on what had been the few remaining questions since the upgrade and current issues raised:

ONGOING
                              • Rep facility - a thread/poll is going to be posted about the options for this.
                              • Notifications disappearing - I have raised the question of whether it is possible to set these so they need to be individually dismissed (currently ones in the same thread all go if you enter that thread; whether posts, comments or likes). If not/in the meantime, you can choose to set your filters to show both dismissed and new notifications and set this as a bookmarked page. Then all notifications can always be viewed with just one click.
                              • Thread/activity list - on several occasions people have raised a preference for an overall running list of threads & new post activity. - We are going to look at this alongside the site restructuring.

SOLVED
                              • Group owners can't view the group members - This has been fixed and vBulletin are working on making an overall group list viewable for other members too. We don't have any way of controlling when that will be unfortunately, but they do have it listed as a requested improvement.
                              • The home page is outdated - Obviously by migrating the site onto the main domain we've removed the issue of the original home page being outdated.
                              • Donations facility - because of such fantastic generosity by the members we raised the hosting costs for this year and additional funds towards any technical support needed. This will be something that is reviewed later in the year when we know how much is still remaining towards next year's hosting costs. If donations are needed again, we may just do this in the same way through paypal donations. Whether a donation button could work will be considered when this is next relevant.
                              • Large threads not loading - UPDATE: this had previously been solved by asking members to set their posts per page to load 20 posts. Since then, this should now be set as the site default.

As always, please pass on any information about anything that you notice.

Comment

• For about a day, notifications did not dismiss as soon as you went to the notifications. You still had to go to the notifications center instead of clocking them from the notification menu, bit it was not vanishing.
                                today when you touch the little red notification, it dismisses all of them and then yoiu must clck again and go to message center, find notifications, and manually change filters to show both dismissed and new - and do this for EACH notification, because the filter view is NOT user saveable and does not persist after the first message is selected. Since i am doing it with my huge ham fingers on a phone, i need several tries for most actions and i just don't want to do this for "fun". Seriously frustrated.

This is even more frustrating because the old site worked so well.
                                Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 29-01-21, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X