Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about all the teething troubles. I had some of these character formatting issues. It's not so much corrupted as being incompatible formatting. I had the same problem on some of my webpages after a recent upgrade depending on whether the format read as UTF-8 or Windows-1251. I remember having to change the HTML coding (I think to UTF-8) to fix it..

Comment

I know the issue with Login has been mentioned - that we can't login but if we click on a thread/post, the site registers us. I wonder if this is going to be an issue with new members, if they can't register? Are there any new members who have been able to register? That could be a problem if the site won't accept new members

Comment

Still can't link in the Spuffy Rec thread Stoney. I know you can, so how did you do it? I copy the address from EF, click the link icon second in from top left (next to the camera), paste, and them it goes to something totally different and says JOOMLA at the end It's actually quite surreal and funny, but you'll have to do my linking for me from now on unless I can get it sorted

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRobin View Post
          Sorry to hear about all the teething troubles. I had some of these character formatting issues. It's not so much corrupted as being incompatible formatting. I had the same problem on some of my webpages after a recent upgrade depending on whether the format read as UTF-8 or Windows-1251. I remember having to change the HTML coding (I think to UTF-8) to fix it..
          You're already talking too technically for me, but I'm sure Rosely understands and this could help, thank you.

I'm not sure what the issue is entirely with the text incompatibility because entering some of the symbols as examples in the old thread collapsed the thread. It wiped all the previously saved text that followed it in that opening post and then locked the post so I couldn't edit on the thread at all anymore. Not just that post but any of them. So whilst I'm sure it is probably in the main just an incompatible formatting issue that could, perhaps, be found and replaced, it also has the potential to stress the system somewhat more than just that.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I know the issue with Login has been mentioned - that we can't login but if we click on a thread/post, the site registers us. I wonder if this is going to be an issue with new members, if they can't register? Are there any new members who have been able to register? That could be a problem if the site won't accept new members
          I don't know if anyone has registered since the upgrade, but I'll raise the question of whether the home page issue could block registration.

Still can't link in the Spuffy Rec thread Stoney. I know you can, so how did you do it? I copy the address from EF, click the link icon second in from top left (next to the camera), paste, and them it goes to something totally different and says JOOMLA at the end It's actually quite surreal and funny, but you'll have to do my linking for me from now on unless I can get it sorted
          Hilariously considering the size of that link icon, I'd never noticed that. I was using the small link icon in the buttons below...

See if this works. In the meantime I'll try that big link option and see what it is doing (and probably end up adding it to the list!).

EDIT: the big link seems to be some sort of antispam thing, I'm not sure but you can edit how the link is described by going to 'edit' your post after. I'm unsure of the benefit of this linking option. You can obviously just use the small icon instead too.

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Stoney, the big link icon is so big I didn't even see the little icon :-)

Stoney:
          I don't know if anyone has registered since the upgrade, but I'll raise the question of whether the home page issue could block registration.
          Hunga Munga has registered yesterday, therefore, it must still be possible to register. but for me, the login works the same way it does for Pricey. I gon onto the page, click one random forum or simply the main forum button and then I am "in".

Nine year-old pms? That must have been quite a trip down memory lane

I have found the old POTN thread now but can't get into it either. I have tried some other threads with many posts, like the After Show Reactions thread, the Random Buffy related question threads and couldn't get into them either. it's always a blank page for me. It definitely must have something to do with a limitation of storage space. I have not yet found out what the cut off number is but I guess it is somewhere between 300 and 400 posts.
          Pricey, your link does look weird but it works fine.

flow
          Last edited by flow; 31-01-20, 12:35 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks flow

Originally posted by flow View Post
          Hunga Munga has registered yesterday, therefore, it must still be possible to register. but for me, the login works the same way it does for Pricey. I gon onto the page, click one random forum or simply the main forum button and then I am "in".
          Fab. I meant to check when Hunga Munga joined as it was the new name I remembered too, so that's good anyway, even though the homepage does still need some thought/fixing up.

Nine year-old pms? That must have been quite a trip down memory lane
          Yes it was! They were really random too, I only flicked through, but it certainly reminded me of some of the people who've faded away that I miss. But Emmie has recently returned! (I saw a PM I'd sent her when Scott Allie mentioned her and Maggie once). So who knows, others may return in the future too and then they can join with everyone who is here now as well.

I have found the old POTN thread now but can't get into it either. I have tried some other threads with many posts, like the After Show Reactions thread, the Random Buffy related question threads and couldn't get into them either. it's always a blank page for me. It definitely must have something to do with a limitation of storage space. I have not yet found out what the cut off number is but I guess it is somewhere between 300 and 400 posts.
          They don't sound like problematically big threads though and some were visible and then their status changed, so it is really confusing as to what is going on. I'll note the suggestion though about the size.

Comment

Can anyone see, under New Topics or Latest Activity my post about Good Omens in one of the tv threads?

Am I the only one who sees members with other peoples av's when you click New Topics of Latest Activity?

I'm not convinced people see the Games, or maybe it's just that no one is playing
            Last edited by Priceless; 31-01-20, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Can anyone see, under New Topics or Latest Activity my post about Good Omens in one of the tv threads?

Am I the only one who sees members with other peoples av's when you click New Topics of Latest Activity?

I'm not convinced people see the Games, or maybe it's just that no one is playing
              Under 'new topics' I can see that you posted on Good Omens, it says you last posted at 8.26pm (which is in the future, very impressive), adjusting for the time error, at 7.26pm

I'm seeing the correct avatars by the member names.

Hmmm, I'll post in the games to bump the thread and see if it appears in 'new topics'.

Comment

• Priceless
                Priceless commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm seeing problems where there aren't any now Stoney :-)

• Stoney
                Stoney commented
                Editing a comment
                I posted in the elimination game and it doesn't appear in new topics or latest activity or my subscriptions for me. I'll add this to the list.

• Stoney
                Stoney commented
                Editing a comment
                Pricey, I know the feeling.

When flow posted later in the games thread it did appear in 'new topics' and in my notifications, so it might just be inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                When flow posted later in the games thread it did appear in 'new topics' and in my notifications, so it might just be inconsistent.
                Maybe it doesn't appear in our lists if we are the last post?

Comment

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That could make sense.

I wanted to ask if anybody has saved the season 5 rewatch thread? because sometimes i can access it and sometimes i can not. same for all the other rewatch threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Summers_Anne View Post
                  I wanted to ask if anybody has saved the season 5 rewatch thread? because sometimes i can access it and sometimes i can not. same for all the other rewatch threads.
                  When the upgrade first happened the first thing I did was check the rewatches and they were all accessible. Since then I have found I can't get into season 5 and I don't know if that is going to occur with the others or if S5 will be recoverable. I have never taken copies of the entire threads but I do have copies of all of the reviews. Some of the pics haven't stayed linked in the copies I have though, so if I get the chance in the next week I might go back through and try to recopy any I can still access that have pics in them, but the text I do have a copy of.

I'm hoping that whatever is causing the change in status and now occasionally blocking the S5 thread gets fixed and the thread becomes 'stable' again. Are you saying you've had the same spasmodic access happen with the other rewatch threads?

EDIT: I just rechecked them myself and S4 now gets the '500 Internal Error' for me and S6 opens to the blank page.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

When the upgrade first happened the first thing I did was check the rewatches and they were all accessible. Since then I have found I can't get into season 5 and I don't know if that is going to occur with the others or if S5 will be recoverable. I have never taken copies of the entire threads but I do have copies of all of the reviews. Some of the pics haven't stayed linked in the copies I have though, so if I get the chance in the next week I might go back through and try to recopy any I can still access that have pics in them, but the text I do have a copy of.

I'm hoping that whatever is causing the change in status and now occasionally blocking the S5 thread gets fixed and the thread becomes 'stable' again. Are you saying you've had the same spasmodic access happen with the other rewatch threads?

EDIT: I just rechecked them myself and S4 now gets the '500 Internal Error' for me and S6 opens to the blank page.
                    I can still access season 1 and season 4, there has never been a problem. But 2 ,3 , 5, 6 , 7 i cannot access now , but sometimes they are fine. I checked it now and it's working, but yesterday I could not open any of them. But they are too big for me to save. And there is no download option?

Comment

I have found that I could access the season 5 rewatch thread which was previously blank for me from another device without logging in. This might be a very weird glitch which only occurs if you try to access a thread for a second or third time. And it also seems to depend on the number of posts in the threads but the rewatch threads are all huge. I think it is safe to say they are all affected and the only question is now if we can save them for reading at least. as I said before, I am totally for deleting other old or dead threads if this would help in any way. Also, if it is a question of buying storage amount I am willing to donate money for it.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                        I have found that I could access the season 5 rewatch thread which was previously blank for me from another device without logging in. This might be a very weird glitch which only occurs if you try to access a thread for a second or third time. And it also seems to depend on the number of posts in the threads but the rewatch threads are all huge. I think it is safe to say they are all affected and the only question is now if we can save them for reading at least. as I said before, I am totally for deleting other old or dead threads if this would help in any way. Also, if it is a question of buying storage amount I am willing to donate money for it.
                        Thanks flow, that's interesting, that you were able to access it through another device without logging in...

So after reading this I opened a different web browser on my machine and, without logging in, tried to open the three threads I had been unable to access earlier (seasons 4, 5, and 6) and was able to open them all. So I tried the other threads that have been causing problems, the Spuffy Fanfic Recommendation thread, the original POTN thread, the BOOM comics thread and all were easily opened. I'll update this. It could well tell those more tech minded peeps exactly what is going on. Good catch flow.

Comment

Yay, me too. It's all Google Chrome's fault

Comment

Yay, me too. It's all Google Chrome's fault
                            Ha! I'd love to blame Google, but I'm normally on Safari and if I log out of Safari I can access S5 and the POTN without issue too. It appears it is a login thing. I've no idea how or why but better minds probably will have.

Comment

DanSlayer have you tried the recommendations in the first post of this thread for resaving/reloading your avatar?

Comment

A couple of 503 service unavailable around 1PM GMT . Board was showing a lot (945) of guest traffic before it went wonky .

Comment

• Stoney
                                  Stoney commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thank you for flagging this. Did it come back quite quickly on a refresh or was it a while before you retried anyway?

• Hunga Munga
                                  Hunga Munga commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  10 minutes or so mate , it locked up , then went 503 . I closed down then came back after 10 . The guest visitor total had gone right down too

• Stoney
                                  Stoney commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thanks for the info, I'll add it and see if we get similar faults reported when the traffic to the site is high.

Testing, sorry been busy and such. I did the Avatar thing. Posting to see if this works. EDIT: And it does!

Comment

• Stoney
                                  Stoney commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Fab! Another thing I think we can call 'solved' (and it's looking good to boot!)
                              Working...
                              X