This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Obviously The One With the Self Aware Cordelia was just a step too far For some reason I can no longer access the Friends Titles thread, and it says contact a system admin. Can anyone help?
    I can't see any reason from your usergroup or permissions why you shouldn't be able to access it. Can you get into other games, or is it just that thread?

I've tagged you in a comment in there to see if the notification lets you access it again. But you could also try these links to see if either work:
    Last post
    First post

Comment

• Priceless
      Priceless commented
      Editing a comment
      I can get in by your links. I think it must have been the way I was accessing the thread. Thank you for the fix

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm glad that sorted it. I suspect the glitch may have been a deleted post in there (which I can see) having thrown off the notification links. Hopefully it won't happen again.

• Brendan SpuffyGlitz flow re: viewing problems with the banners in Brendan's Fanart thread.
    Brendan, can you tell me where you have the images hosted? If SpuffyGlitz and flow can also tell me what operating systems you are on and what browsers you are accessing the site through (if you've tried any others) I will try to work out where the communication gap is occurring. I don't think it will be the forum itself as they are appearing for some members. I'm sure it will be fixable because of that too.

Comment

• flow
      flow commented
      Editing a comment
      I can see them now. Maybe it was just taking time to upload them? I am using Microsoft edge and I have no idea what an operating system is ;-)

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      It possibly was an upload time, we'll see what SpuffyGlitz says too. For your operating system, you'd usually give your computer type and the background software everything works from. So I'm on a Mac and the OS is High Sierra.

• Of course Stoney I use this site as my image hosting. (https://imgbb.com/) then I place the (Embed codes) the (BBcode) into my posts.

I hope this helps

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for this Brendan. I'll wait to see if SpuffyGlitz can see them now as it might have just been upload time as flow experienced.

• SpuffyGlitz
      SpuffyGlitz commented
      Editing a comment
      Stoney Hey sorry just saw this—I checked, I can see it now too! Thanks

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah that's great. Gotta love it when things sort themselves out.

• Just a scant update on the ongoing issues.

I think I did mention elsewhere that I have found the coding to remove the subforums from appearing on the Red style, so we have been able to keep that one too.

I'm frustrated that vBulletin aren't coming back to me with any specific suggestions about the notification problems you are experiencing DeepBlueJoy . If it is possible to take a screengrab of what you are seeing before you click and then what it shows immediately after, so they can see that they have just disappeared without you seeing them, then I might be able to rouse more of a proactive response from them. Sorry, it's proving awkward to get something done on this.

I logged a bug report this morning with vBulletin over the missing jumps in the sure reputations but, to be honest, I think this is only going to improve when they look at revamping this element of the software. There are a lot of improvement requests in that relate to developing the reputation and changing it, so I expect it will be an area that we see changes in in the future. When the functionality becomes possible to turn the rep system off for the site as a whole we'll decide at that point if we want to do that if the function hasn't yet been improved at that stage too.

I've also put another support request in for the topics tab not being viewable when following notifications into groups.

I've also asked if it is possible to stop the pasted in text bringing in code that can stop it being readable in the Dark style. Fixing existing posts where this has happened is still needing to be done by editing (as detailed in the 'solutions' on the opening post of this thread). I'm basically trying to find out if there's any way to stop it continuing to happen.

In regards to the activity listing, I have got another code to try but I'm also trying to find out if I can add coding into the styles to gain the 'boxing' some styles have which improves a busier directory page if we end up adding the activity list. I'm hoping to get further with this this week and have another try at adding a column in.

Comment

• The answer over where a Group's 'topics' list goes when you follow a notification into a Group thread, is simply that you don't have a 'topics' tab when you are in an individual thread (as you can see in the photo below). This is true whether you enter a thread through the Group pages, or follow a notification into it.

If you have entered the Group via a notification (rather than going 'forwards' into a thread from the Group's homepage topics/thread list), you can't click 'back' on your browser. So, to go to a Group's homepage from inside a Group thread, simply scroll up to the top of the page (or hit the 'go to the top' link if you can see the footer), and click on the Group's hyperlink that appears under the site banner. As per...

If you then scroll down you should now be in the main page for the Group and the 'topics' list should be open as it is set as the default tab.

I've moved this now as a solved issue.

Comment

• I have noticed this before but today made a screenshot to report it as a glitch: In my notifications, I have a notification without any details. I even went to testusers profile but couldn't find any posts by them today, let alone one where testuser quoted me.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• American Aurora
          American Aurora commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the same exact thing! Stoney, aren’t you testuser? Are we seeing your fix-it posts?

• Nina
          Nina commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, testuser is Stoney's dummy account. =)

• flow American Aurora Yes that was me, sorry! I have testuser so that I can see how the site looks without all the admin/mod access. I had logged in as testuser to see how the notifications were appearing, and then forgot that I was in testuser and posted. I noticed as soon as the different signature went up, deleted the post and went into my own account to repost as myself. Sorry for the confusion.

FYI - If you get notifications like that, which don't go anywhere, it normally means that the post that you were sent a notification for was deleted.

Comment

• DeepBlueJoy
          DeepBlueJoy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah i assumed it was deleted spam as on my other forum - did not notice it was test user!
          Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 31-05-21, 12:36 AM.

• Just wanted to report that I am now having zero problems with the Groups and I'm really loving the new layout.

However...I've been cycling through the skins and want more, more, more! Do we have a limit?

Would love to see a skin with the three Slayers of the TV show - Buffy, Kendra, Faith - maybe one for the Potentials - and maybe skins for all the different seasons of Buffy and Angel that aren't already represented (like Angel Season Five with NFA).

Animals of Buffy and Angel would be fantastic, too! We've got Sunshine and Kitty Fantastico and Anya's rabbits. You can't have too many cat, dog and bunny pictures even on a Buffy website.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
          Double Dutchess commented
          Editing a comment
          I would love to make more banners; unfortunately it all boils down to lack of time. But specific requests like yours tend to get my creative juices flowing, so who knows...!

• American Aurora
          American Aurora commented
          Editing a comment
          Double Dutchess, that would be fantastic! If you could find the time, I'd love to see what you come up with!

• SpuffyGlitz
          SpuffyGlitz commented
          Editing a comment
          This is a great idea—I love the idea of more skins. I hope the 'pink' style makes a return! (hopefully all the styles)

• Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
        Just wanted to report that I am now having zero problems with the Groups and I'm really loving the new layout.

However...I've been cycling through the skins and want more, more, more! Do we have a limit?
        I'm glad the groups are working smoothly for you now Aurora.

--
        EDIT: I've taken all the following responses re: the banners into it's own thread.

Comment

• I have added in the question about how to do multiple quoting that was raised by TTB in a thread recently to the list of ongoing issues updated on the opening page of this thread. I'm going to look into this and put in an Improvement Request with vBulletin if there isn't already one. It definitely used to be more user friendly in the old system.

Other updates:
          • Pasted in text brings BB coding in - text that is pasted in on the site can bring BBCoding which affects the colour/font of the text (see the solution to the Dark style problems). I'm trying to find out if there is a way to prevent this from continuing to happen.
          From having discussed this with vBulletin, I don't think there is a workable solution that doesn't create different problems.

The only way that this can be stopped is by disabling BBCode in one or all areas of the board or to disable the 'colour' or 'font' BBCodes specifically for the site to avoid problems like the Dark style finding some posts aren't visible as text is pasted in coded as black.

But, as the coding is used within the site generally, it isn't just being copied in by pasting, we'd lose the most straight forward options for coding formatting for bold/italic etc as well as [quote], [spoiler] etc. And all those existing codes would suddenly become text and become visible. In the same way, if I disabled it for 'colour' alone across the site, everywhere that this coding already appears the coding text will suddenly appear, as the code wouldn't be active any longer. So instances like [COLOR=#c0392b.] would [./COLOR] suddenly appear where the text had the coding around it and make all the posts really difficult to read.

So, it just seems the least disruptive to just encourage awareness that pasted in text can bring in code. To try to remember to highlight pasted in text and click for the 'automatic' colour selection and 'default' font. If you want to see the coding in a post you can always click the <> source button on the top left of your posting toolbar buttons.

There is an existing notice on the dark style highlighting to users of that style why they may come across posts where the text is blank and recommending changing style if they do find this. Remember, you can go into a post of your own and highlight/edit to change the colour if you find this or report the post to a mod to change.

• Reputation pips - these are being 'lit' fully in twos when they should go through a green level first and only light up one at a time. I've been discussing the behaviour of this with vBulletin and it has been concluded that these display issues are 'a CSS issue'.
          This isn't something that is going to get fixed with any speed I don't think. I've put in a report for this as a bug to be looked at and it has been added to the list of things to address by vBulletin, but as they are intending to look at the functionality of the reputation system overall at some future point I wouldn't be surprised if it just gets lumped in with that. If the option to turn off the reputation feature comes with a future update, we might want to consider doing this until they have rethought the system. But at the moment there isn't anything else that we can do ourselves.

Activity thread - I'm aware that I still need to go through the different styles to tweak them to work best with the new activity column. This hasn't fallen off my to dos but I have a S7 rewatch review due this week that I don't want to keep delaying. So trying to pin down the issue with the large font size (which I have been discussing with vBulletin) and checking through the styles may not progress until next week.

Comment

• When I click on New Posts it takes me to the lists of New Posts, but it says Buffy Season 8 at the top. It's just weird.

Comment

• Yeah, the same here. It was rather funny because I tried to go back to New Posts about half a dozen times until I realized I was already there just with the wrong title.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                When I click on New Posts it takes me to the lists of New Posts, but it says Buffy Season 8 at the top. It's just weird.
                Yes it's odd. I changed a coding setting in Season 8 earlier today, totally unrelated, and then noticed that Buffy Season 8 was appearing at the top of the main Search page. I've amended it to just say Search Results. I can't remember what it said before, if anything, but if I put 'new posts' that is what appears at the top of every search page.

Comment

• Stoney , I still see Buffy Season 8 at the top of my browser as of now. I guess someone's trying to tell us something. Maybe we're the real continuation of the series.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiny Tabby View Post
                    Stoney , I still see Buffy Season 8 at the top of my browser as of now. I guess someone's trying to tell us something. Maybe we're the real continuation of the series.
                    What page are you in when you see that still? It might be a cache issue (although maybe not, as I don't really understand that ).

Comment

• I have put in an improvement request with vBulletin this morning to try to address the issue of all notifications that relate to the same thread going together when you enter that thread (whether posts, comments or likes). As it is an improvement request rather than a glitch, I've no idea of the timescales that we might be looking at. In the meantime, you can choose to set your filters to show both dismissed and new notifications if you opt to view 'all notifications' from within your message center. You can even choose to bookmark that page if you want to view the list of both with just one click. You can also right click to enter notifications in a new tab, and then the original list isn't reloading and the other notifications dismissed. But this is a wait and see from the software development side I'm afraid.

Is anyone still having issues with subscriptions not producing notifications? I had a couple of occasions of this happening and just found stopping the subscription and resubscribing fixed it. This could have been related to the shift to Cloud.

Comment

• Stoney, when I go into the General Media thread, it says Buffy Season 8 at the top for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
                          Stoney, when I go into the General Media thread, it says Buffy Season 8 at the top for me.
                          Okay, thanks, I've fixed it. I flicked through every folder and they definitely all say what they should at the top now, so if this reoccurs again I'll contact vBulletin about it. Hopefully it'll just be gone now and simply be a random glitch.

Comment

• Help—

I am confused...

Some threads have recently appeared—
                            one by flow, another by
                            American Aurora, one, I think,
                            by someone else, that I have not
                            been able to access—

The most recent:

Flow's A Matter of Taste thread....

Are they on other media than this
                            forum? Than the general web?

If so, I would understand, given that
                            I do all I can to minimize my social
                            media presence—no Facebook,
                            Twitter, &c., in part to limit the word
                            pollution I might spill, in part from a
                            desire to limit my exposure to what
                            has come to be called Surveillance
                            Capitalism

But if they are here, well, please,

'Splainy—?

Thanks upon stumbling thanks—

​​​​​​​

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
                              StateOfSiege97 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Ah, that explains—

For much as I respect FanFic (one
                              of my students wrote her senior thesis
                              in it, read it through Bataille's gift
                              economy....)
                              I do not, myself....

• Stoney
                              Stoney commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Sorry for the confusion StateOfSiege97 , they shouldn't appear in the thread lists unless you are a member, so I'll get vBulletin to look at that.

• flow
                              flow commented
                              Editing a comment
                              We used to have these discussions in the Fanfiction subforum but decided a while ago to take them to a more private setting to not step on anyone's toes. If you ever feel like having a look at our discussions, just give me a shout <3

• StateOfSiege97 this should now be fixed.

We do have lists of the story discussions the group has in the main fanfiction area of the board and in the 'Join Fanfiction Discussions' Group. But with it being a membership based group it makes more sense for the threads not to pop up in the main activity list too when posts are made, just to avoid frustration at seemingly broken links. Hopefully it will have stopped now, sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Working...
                            X