Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Glitches - Report a Problem

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nothing and somebody just tried to message me on here and yet again their message wouldn't show. Can't see it so can't read It. I've swopped browsers and still nothing.

    Oh and I'm on a Mac running High Sierra OS.
    Last edited by Silver1; 28-02-21, 10:31 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
      Nothing and somebody just tried to message me on here and yet again their message wouldn't show. Can't see it so can't read It. I've swopped browsers and still nothing.

      Oh and I'm on a Mac running High Sierra OS.
      Okay, that's the same as my OS. So, when you are trying to copy and paste text, are you highlighting and then working on key shortcuts (ctrl+c & ctrl+v)? Presumably you have other sites you are able to paste text into? Can you give me an example of something you have tried to highlight that you can't paste here but can paste somewhere else? Seeing if there are differences between the us and another site might flag something.

      Are you going into the message centre to read your messages or using the pop up box that happens when you click on the message itself from the drop down messages list?

      I've looked at your individual user settings and can't see anything that is restricting you. It doesn't seem to be a site setting.

      Comment


      • Sorry I can't explain much further. I do what I do with every other forum only here it does not work for me. I cut and paste by highlighting the text and the message centre I briefly see the message and then It's gone.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
          Sorry I can't explain much further. I do what I do with every other forum only here it does not work for me. I cut and paste by highlighting the text and the message centre I briefly see the message and then It's gone.
          Well knowing that you are finding it works elsewhere helps. Essentially, as it isn't something anyone else is saying they are having problems with and it isn't a problem you are having elsewhere, I have to assume it is something between how your set up and the site are communicating. So a setting in the site relating to your user (which I can't find) or a setting within your system or browsers relating to the site. Do you have any security software that might be affecting the interaction with the site? I'll post a question on vBulletin and see if they direct me to any of the admin settings I haven't thought of.

          As for the message centre, I'm trying to find out if you are going to the full message centre and through the inbox within that, or if you are accessing the messages through the pop up window that is opened when a message is selected through a link from the drop down from 'messages' rather than going into message centre.

          Can I just double check if these problems have only been since we migrated to Cloud or has it been since the upgrade the previous year?

          Comment


          • You cannot directly access messages from the notifications. Even when they are not dismissed when you click on them, (90% dismiss on click) you do not see the list of messages menu drop down as it used to before. At least, i do not. Sometimes i just dont bother reloading the messages dismisssed. It is just a pest. Sorry. I know it isnt your fault. Just frustrated that i have to hunt for any messages since all in one topic dismiss and if i have 7 notifications on 5 pages of the same topic, i know i never find some comments.

            Comment


            • Oh I see a notification, It's just two seconds after I've opened it and try and read It It blanks out. This started ages back and nothing has changed sadly.

              I never have problems like this elsewhere. Just this site. I've now given up. I've never had security software either. This is either a site thing or my browers. Can't be anything else sadly.
              Last edited by Silver1; 28-02-21, 08:47 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
                You cannot directly access messages from the notifications.
                The messages are separate to the notifications. If you go into message centre they appear together but the notifications relate to activity in the threads, the messages are the private messages. The messages drop down menu is to the right of the notifications on the top bar, but both still can be accessed through the message centre.

                The notifications always used to dismiss the other notifications about posts, comments and likes from the same thread when you went into it. The difference before was that you used to be able to hit 'back' and return to the list without any you hadn't clicked on from the same thread having gone. Now you have to access the full notification list through the filter of 'both' to see all the ones you've had.

                Sometimes i just dont bother reloading the messages dismisssed. It is just a pest. Sorry. I know it isnt your fault. Just frustrated that i have to hunt for any messages since all in one topic dismiss and if i have 7 notifications on 5 pages of the same topic, i know i never find some comments.
                Notifications aren't messages. Messages are PMs.

                The only way to not lose all the notifications for a thread is to view them all through the filter of both (which as I've said before you can set up as a bookmark and then it is always going to be a single click to view them that way). Or you have to right click to open each notification into a new window to stop it reloading the original list and dismissing all those from the same thread.

                The issue you've had of notifications disappearing without you clicking into view any of them at all I haven't yet taken up with vBulletin, but I will. My understanding of that was that you would see a number next to your notifications and without you even entering to view any notifications at all they would disappear. Is that not correct?

                I know you aren't blaming me for it, but I do appreciate why these things are irritating when they don't work. I am hoping to find solutions.

                Comment


                • I have 2 Notifications, one for 'ipl 2021 channel' and 'Nautibitz' site is offline' and I can't access either of them. I'm told I'm not authorised and should contact the site administrator. I'm sure I've posted in the 'Nautibitz site is offline' thread, and now I can't access it. Help!

                  Edit - I've just gone into the Nautibitz Offline thread on the main board, and that's fine, I just can't get to it from the Notifications.
                  Last edited by Priceless; 01-03-21, 10:02 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    I have 2 Notifications, one for 'ipl 2021 channel' and 'Nautibitz' site is offline' and I can't access either of them. I'm told I'm not authorised and should contact the site administrator. I'm sure I've posted in the 'Nautibitz site is offline' thread, and now I can't access it. Help!

                    Edit - I've just gone into the Nautibitz Offline thread on the main board, and that's fine, I just can't get to it from the Notifications.
                    The ipl 2021 channel was a spam post which Nina deleted. If you subscribe to the area of the board where it was posted it may have triggered a notification that was then obviously not going to lead you anywhere. So that's why that one was broken.

                    The Nautibitz one is odd. I'll double check your permissions for the fanfiction area of the board, but that shouldn't have happened.

                    EDIT: Priceless I can't see any reason in the background permissions why you had the failed fanfiction notification. But I did notice that American Aurora had posted her idea about the find and seek threads for fanfictions in that thread before starting a new one. So again it may well be that you had a notification that was linked to a post that was then deleted and that is why it was a broken notification. I think this makes sense for both of these on this occasion but please do let me know if it turns out to be a reoccurring issue.

                    Comment


                  • We've had another incident of liking a post wiping out previous likes. I think this is almost certainly related still to the resetting of the reputation at the start of February and then again midway through. There isn't anything that can be done about that I don't think as it automatically triggered a recalculation and so sees the likes separately now and a 'new' like is overriding the 'shadows' of what had been there before. But if anyone notices this happening when liking a more recent post, say 15th February onwards, then please do flag it and I'll dig a little more into this. Thanks.

                    Comment


                    • Hmm, I continue to have the issue that tagging users doesn't work at all times. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I wanted to tag Brendan in a comment in Fanart and it didn't work. I've had the same issues before in other subfora and it fails me in both posts and comments.

                      Comment


                      • Nina
                        Nina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I had not, but when I just tried... it didn't work.

                      • Stoney
                        Stoney commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Okay, I'll have a look around the vBulletin message forum to see if others are having this problem.

                      • Nina
                        Nina commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks.

                    • Originally posted by Stoney View Post

                      The messages are separate to the notifications. If you go into message centre they appear together but the notifications relate to activity in the threads, the messages are the private messages. The messages drop down menu is to the right of the notifications on the top bar, but both still can be accessed through the message centre.

                      The notifications always used to dismiss the other notifications about posts, comments and likes from the same thread when you went into it. The difference before was that you used to be able to hit 'back' and return to the list without any you hadn't clicked on from the same thread having gone. Now you have to access the full notification list through the filter of 'both' to see all the ones you've had.



                      Notifications aren't messages. Messages are PMs.

                      The only way to not lose all the notifications for a thread is to view them all through the filter of both (which as I've said before you can set up as a bookmark and then it is always going to be a single click to view them that way). Or you have to right click to open each notification into a new window to stop it reloading the original list and dismissing all those from the same thread.

                      The issue you've had of notifications disappearing without you clicking into view any of them at all I haven't yet taken up with vBulletin, but I will. My understanding of that was that you would see a number next to your notifications and without you even entering to view any notifications at all they would disappear. Is that not correct?

                      I know you aren't blaming me for it, but I do appreciate why these things are irritating when they don't work. I am hoping to find solutions.
                      I know messages and notifications are different. We will get there eventually, i think.

                      Yes. They either dismiss when you load the page, or click the number. There is no direct way to click through directly from the number to the thread in question, you must go to the notification are. Most times, the notification is already dismissed, occasionally, not.

                      It isnt practical to reliably keep a notification tab open bc i use different devices and run up to 800 open tabs.

                      I have created a notification tab a couple of times - but i mostly keep losing it! But i stay logged in and load the forums several times a day.
                      Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 01-03-21, 02:11 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
                        Yes. They either dismiss when you load the page, or click the number. There is no direct way to click through directly from the number to the thread in question, you must go to the notification are. Most times, the notification is already dismissed, occasionally, not.
                        Okay, the notifications going before you've entered any threads at all is clearly a problem and I'll put in a support request. It's strange that no one else is having the same problem though. It must be a setting problems somewhere. I'll see what they advise.

                        It isnt practical to reliably keep a notification tab open bc i use different devices and run up to 800 open tabs.
                        I wouldn't use the creation of new notification tabs either, but a bookmarked link into the filtered 'both' list would probably be easier for now as you can see what date the dismissed/new ones are from and can just look at the ones for the new day.

                        Anyway, I'll pass on a query to vBulletin today on this.

                        Comment


                        • Nina I found a conversation on vBulletin where someone was saying they had intermittent problems with @ tagging. The suggestion was to check if your browser settings are down to block javascript. The person who was reporting the problem said that they weren't blocking javascript but when they added their site into the list of allowed sites the problem seemed to stop.

                          Comment


                          • Stoney
                            Stoney commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Have you tried the same in a different browser?

                          • Nina
                            Nina commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I tried Edge and it has the same issues. I can tag you in a post in this thread, but not in a comment.

                          • Stoney
                            Stoney commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I've put a post into the thread I found to see if there are any other suggestions of things to try to fix this.

                        • Nina , I've had a response from vBulletin about viewing the coding again rather than the embedded pictures - the button on the left of your editing toolbar options that looks like a sheet with <> on it will return you to a coding/text view of your post. I've added a note about this into my response within the Cordelia picture in the Hand-drawn fanart thread where you raised the issue too.

                          Comment


                          • Nina
                            Nina commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ah that's great, thanks!

                        • Okay, the glitch with the invitation only group being hidden is definitely a bug, but vBulletin are saying that invitation only groups shouldn't appear in the lists. So the bug is when it appears in the lists for non-members and they have asked if we want to raise a request for an amendment that would allow for invitation only groups to be included in the lists but not joinable without invitation (which is how it was behaving for a time), or if we want to just make sure that the invitation only groups stay off the lists as they are supposed to? Does anyone have an opinion? flow ? I have to say I think it makes more sense for all the groups to be in the list and visible and it be the ability to join at a click that differentiates the public and private/invitation only groups.

                          Also, can all the group members actually find the group in their 'my groups' list now? I wasn't sure if that was also still a problem. debbicles are you able to view the group now? If any group members aren't able to see it despite being members that is obviously another bug that I could do with raising with vBulletin too.

                          Comment


                          • flow
                            flow commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I’d say they should appear in the list!

                        • Hello, is there a membership age requirement (time of membership) before one can join a group? I know it's member only, but do you have to be a member for a certain amount of time or have a certain number of posts? Someone I know joined yesterday but found she could not join a group i mentioned to her. Thanks.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
                            Hello, is there a membership age requirement (time of membership) before one can join a group? I know it's member only, but do you have to be a member for a certain amount of time or have a certain number of posts? Someone I know joined yesterday but found she could not join a group i mentioned to her. Thanks.
                            You only have to be a registered member to be able to join a group but the fanfic discussion group is invitation only and this is the one that, at the moment, is hidden unless you are a member (and then it should appear under 'my groups'). So if your friend wanted to join that group they'd need to message flow who is the group owner to be added to the group members.

                            This is a great example of why I think the invite only groups should still be visible at least, like they used to be, and then people can request to join more readily.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Stoney View Post

                              You only have to be a registered member to be able to join a group but the fanfic discussion group is invitation only and this is the one that, at the moment, is hidden unless you are a member (and then it should appear under 'my groups'). So if your friend wanted to join that group they'd need to message flow who is the group owner to be added to the group members.

                              This is a great example of why I think the invite only groups should still be visible at least, like they used to be, and then people can request to join more readily.
                              I agree. I really don't even remember groups most of the time - even having made one - except when they were visible for a short while. I would not say no to a 'hide group' feature, but on the whole, the existence of groups and what they are is something I'd like to be public. Then one can write the group owner if it is invite only.

                              Comment


                              • Having sorted through the older groups we were intending to encourage members to reconsider the group feature. But I was hoping to get to the bottom of this visibility question first. I think it's nice to have groups as a community feature, so only visible to registered members, but the invitation groups would I think be better if they were on the group list, even if you only can access them with membership. If everyone agrees on that I'll go back to vBulletin about it. But as that would be a modification of the way they are supposed to currently work I don't know how long it would take for such a change to be actioned. In the meantime it may be necessary to create an open group that is there just to create a listing for the private group. We'll see what others think.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X