• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sueworld
    Banned
    • Jul 2007

Torchwood 4 'Miracle Day'

First teaser poster and air-date for Torchwood 4. I have to say I'm not too keen on the tacky artwork/idea myself..

• Nina
    and her haircut.
    • Nov 2007

That poster is indeed not the best one I ever saw. [/understatement]

But since this is the first article I read about Miracle Day, I would like to point out that I'm sad about the cast. Don't get me wrong, the actors they got are pretty great actors but I wanted to see Martha and Mickey again.

And I hope it will be like Childeren of Earth and not like the regular Torchwood seasons. I still can't get over it that they decided that a more mature series meant that the characters were having sex with everybody.

Comment

• sueworld
      Banned
      • Jul 2007

No, from whats been said this series will very much be in the 'dark and deeply serious mold' that was established by Children of Earth.

Jane espenson's written half the episodes that should should prove interesting to say the least.

Comment

• NileQT87
        The Dark Avenger
        • Jun 2007

My opinion is pretty much that early series 1 Torchwood is boring and tacky beyond belief, though it picks up with the stuff about Suzie, I love the '50s characters (a breath of fresh, innocent air) and there's a blip of good stories at the end... However, it doesn't really get interesting for me until about the time Owen (my favorite TW character by far) becomes a living dead man. Children of Earth was certainly a huge improvement as far as putting a more genuinely mature arc in the series (Day Five being the pinnacle).

I still prefer Doctor Who by a large margin ('00s, '10s, '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s--in that order--I've watched about 3/4 of all of it now) and I think I prefer The Sarah Jane Adventures (it's not really a childish show at all--and they regularly throw out crumbs about the classic series, including appearances from the Brigadier--R.I.P. Nicholas Courtney--and Jo Grant + cameos of Ten and Eleven) to TW slightly. It's interesting to watch all three parts together. It's also a great way to fill up all the gaps in the year when one show isn't on.

It'll be interesting to see Bill Pullman and Ernie Hudson in TW. And of course, Jane Espenson. I would have liked to see Martha and Mickey join the cast, though obviously Freema Agyeman is over on Law & Order: UK. Perhaps at least get Mickey on the show at some point.

Well, anyway... At least that poster tells us the start of the air dates. So far this is what we can surmise of air dates and episode titles (MASSIVE spoilers):

Spoiler:
        04/23/11 - The Impossible Astronaut (Utah/Arizona filming, River tells Amy something she must keep secret from the Doctor in the diner, Nixon, Apollo 11 1/2, Oval Office, Eleven with a beard in custody, "Stetsons are cool." gag)
        04/24/11 - Day of the Moon
        04/30/11 - DW3 (involves a plot about pirates and a siren--extensive spoiler footage taken of Eleven walking the plank, the trio being doused by water, talk of the pirates' dangly ornaments all over the ship, Amy swinging from a rope in pirate clothes and having a sword fight)
        05/07/11 - DW4 (originally The House of Nothing--Idris, an old acquaintance with a new face, is picked up in void space, the message cube from The War Games, SIDRATs from TWG--those are Time Lord technology, TARDIS breaks down on alien world, historical period costume mash includes late-1600s men, Nazis and Idris in Victorian gown--also evoking TWG and seen in the trailer, we're promised more rooms in the TARDIS, including another console room and wacky corridors)
        05/14/11 - The Rebel Flesh (possibly has office block staffed by clones, incl. a clone Doctor, filmed at multiple castles, plot includes a monastery)
        05/21/11 - Gangers
        05/28/11 - His Darkest Hour -or- A Good Man Goes to War (originally Demons Run, The Pandorica Opens' blue alien is back, Millenium Stadium filming, River, Cybus Cybermen--didn't have money for redesign, something similar to The Empire Strikes Back--rumor that the Doctor is frozen as toys have been shown to sellers, twin babies, revelations about the nature of the Doctor's relationship with Amy, Rory stumbles to the brink of a tragic mistake, "appalling revelation" about the person the Doctor trusts the most, the Doctor has noticed something you have not--fan speculation about Amy's "too big" house w/ the 3rd story staircase to nowhere)

07/08/11 - Miracle Day, pt. 1
        07/15/11 - Miracle Day, pt. 2
        07/22/11 - Miracle Day, pt. 3
        07/29/11 - Miracle Day, pt. 4
        08/05/11 - Miracle Day, pt. 5
        08/12/11 - Miracle Day, pt. 6
        08/19/11 - Miracle Day, pt. 7
        08/26/11 - Miracle Day, pt. 8
        09/02/11 - Miracle Day, pt. 9
        09/09/11 - Miracle Day, pt. 10

--/--/11 - DW8
        --/--/11 - House Call or Night Terrors (originally What Are Little Boys Made of?, little boy named George who is frightened of everything, the creepy old-fashioned dolls in the trailer--filmed at a Council Estate location)
        --/--/11 - The Green Anchor
        --/--/11 - The God Complex
        --/--/11 - DW12 (return of Craig w/ baby + Cybermen w/ newly redesigned Cybermats... Eleven has a new green overcoat--on location with Stetson)
        --/--/11 - DW13

--/--/11 - SJA1
        --/--/11 - SJA2
        --/--/11 - SJA3
        --/--/11 - SJA4
        --/--/11 - SJA5
        --/--/11 - SJA6
        --/--/11 - SJA7
        --/--/11 - SJA8
        --/--/11 - SJA9
        --/--/11 - SJA10
        --/--/11 - SJA11
        --/--/11 - SJA12

12/25/11 - DW14

Rumor about story set in Egypt with Cybermen mummies evoking The Tomb of the Cybermen, Matt's favorite classic serial. Not sure which.

I suspect that the reason for splitting the air dates for Doctor Who series 6 is due to them wanting to air the 50th anniversary special on November 23, 2013 and they've got to ween us into a fall schedule for that. They're already having meetings at the BBC about the 50th anniversary.

It's interesting that half of SJA series 5 was filmed at the same time as series 4 and it would support the idea that they're moving SJA to a spring slot, while DW moves to a fall slot.
        Last edited by NileQT87; 25-03-11, 05:46 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
        "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

• sueworld
          Banned
          • Jul 2007

I'm looking forward to the new season of Who, even though Moffat's version of the show is slightly getting a tad too 'kiddiefied' for me personally.

As for Torchwood, well I loved season 2 even though It was still incredibly daft in places and when season 3 hit It just blew everything (including Who I believe) out of the water drama wise. I think partly because of the incredible performance put in by Peter Capaldi, who's magnificent portrayal of Frobrisher really sold you on the alien threat and his terrible realization that their own government was in fact as big a threat to their own people as the Aliens.

Huh, very suitable metaphor for whats happening in Britain today really.
          Last edited by sueworld; 25-03-11, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• sherrilina
            Sassenach
            • May 2007

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
            First teaser poster and air-date for Torchwood 4. I have to say I'm not too keen on the tacky artwork/idea myself..

http://www.tvline.com/2011/03/torchw...te-and-poster/
            Lol, aren't the posters always a bit tacky?

IDK, I'll see how it goes before judging the idea, I mean I'll miss Ianto and such but if they can give us another brilliant series like CoE I'll be happy.... I'm also excited because this will be my first series live, since I only recently caught up on TW.

Originally posted by Nina View Post
            That poster is indeed not the best one I ever saw. [/understatement]

But since this is the first article I read about Miracle Day, I would like to point out that I'm sad about the cast. Don't get me wrong, the actors they got are pretty great actors but I wanted to see Martha and Mickey again.
            Oh yeah, of course it would have been nice to see Micky and Martha again (they were supposed to be in CoE, hence their scene establishing them in EoT), but sadly Freema's role on Law and Order: UK would make that kind of impossible, for her at least...

As for the cast I don't know any of the names, I know people have been complaining about it being all Hollywood-ized with big names and such, but if they are big names I wouldn't know them, lol. I think it could be interesting though seeing Jack and Gwen working with a new team, while probably still dealing with their losses from the old one...

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
            However, it doesn't really get interesting for me until about the time Owen (my favorite TW character by far) becomes a living dead man. Children of Earth was certainly a huge improvement as far as putting a more genuinely mature arc in the series (Day Five being the pinnacle).
            I actually really agree with this, lol, I mean season 2 had its moments, but it didn't truly become genuinely good until "Day in the Death" and Owen's death arc (he also became my favorite character at that time!)...that was the first point for me when I could see why anyone would actually love this show. Then CoE was just utterly fantastic and bold and probabgly the best thing on TV that year.

I suspect that the reason for splitting the air dates for Doctor Who series 6 is due to them wanting to air the 50th anniversary special on November 23, 2013 and they've got to ween us into a fall schedule for that. They're already having meetings at the BBC about the 50th anniversary.
            Meh, I think it's more just that Moffat needed to break it up to juggle Sherlock as well....*shrug* Though hmm, do you have a source to read about them meeting for the 50th anniversary special? I hadn't heard anything about it yet, but I'm hoping it's a 5 Doctors-esque deal, since I'd love to see Ten back, and Nine even more (though I feel that is wishful thinking since CE seems determined to distance himself from that role forever...). Although I would be worried if Moffat was writing it, as far as Ten and any RTD-era companions returning would be concerned...

If they did do that I wonder what they'd do with Merlin?

I'm looking forward to the new season of Who, even though Moffat's version of the show is slightly getting a tad too 'kiddiefied' for me personally.
            Lol, too kiddified except for the parts where he's really ramping up the sexual innuendo and such around Amy....

As for Torchwood, well I loved season 2 even though It was still incredibly daft in places and when season 3 hit It just blew everything (including Who I believe) out of the water drama wise. I think partly because of the incredible performance put in by Peter Capaldi, who's magnificent portrayal of Frobrisher really sold you on the alien threat and his terrible realization that their own government was in fact as big a threat to their own people as the Aliens.
            Yeah, I still can't get over how brilliant C0E was, I've never been so horrified and disturbed and gripped before by TV I think, the whole alien storyline was just... And yes, Peter Capaldi of course was amazing as well, and so different from Malcolm Tucker, lol. I hope Miracle Day can approach that level of achievement.
            Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• Matt
              SFU Mourner.
              • Jun 2007

So, when is this being aired in the UK? And why is it being shown in the US first when it's meant to be a "British" show?

I have to say I'm very excited about Lauren Ambrose being in the show though, although her character description makes me think that she will be cannon fodder / won't be around for very long.
              sigpic

Comment

• sherrilina
                Sassenach
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                So, when is this being aired in the UK? And why is it being shown in the US first when it's meant to be a "British" show?

I have to say I'm very excited about Lauren Ambrose being in the show though, although her character description makes me think that she will be cannon fodder / won't be around for very long.
                It's not just a British show anymore, now it's a UK-US venture that will be airing on Starz in the US or something, and be transatlantic....

I wonder if Jack will celebrate being in the states by trying to stand ~dramatically on top of any famous US skyscrapers...

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• Nina
                  and her haircut.
                  • Nov 2007

Sher how can you not know Bill Pulllman? :eek:

Independence Day? While You Were Sleeping? Sleepless in Seattle?
                  Last edited by Nina; 30-03-11, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• sherrilina
                    Sassenach
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                    Sher how can you not know Bill Pulllman? :eek:

Independence Day? While You Were Sleeping? Sleepless in Sattle?
                    Lol, well since I haven't seen any of those movies (or at least beyond random clips on TV and such)...that might explain it?

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• Nina
                      and her haircut.
                      • Nov 2007

He was also in the Grudge I believe, but I never saw that movie. Ah well, he is a bit of a fallen A-star. It would be fun to see him on screen again.

Comment

• sueworld
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2007

Lol, too kiddified except for the parts where he's really ramping up the sexual innuendo and such around Amy....
                        Not really. I find Moffets Doctor a bit sexless myself. Very much in the old school mold, which I don't mind in the least. The sort of schoolboy sniggering around Amy's character now and again does get a bit wearing sometimes though.
                        Last edited by sueworld; 30-03-11, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• sherrilina
                          Sassenach
                          • May 2007

Lol, yeah The Grudge isn't a movie I've seen either, not even for SMG!

The sort of schoolboy sniggering around Amy's character now and again does get a bit wearing sometimes though.
                          That's what I was referring to...

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• NileQT87
                            The Dark Avenger
                            • Jun 2007

Have you seen Casper and Spaceballs? Amazingly, those are actually the first roles that pop in my head for Bill Pullman (though the first shouldn't be a surprise--I actually had a Casper avatar/banner set here for a while and I'm Gen Y). The last time I saw Independence Day was in the theater (yeah, it's been a while).

I'm sure you'll recognize him when you see him. He's a major American film actor whom I would say is nearly a household name. Pretty amazing that they got him and Ernie Hudson (Winston Zeddemore in Ghostbusters, F.Y.I.). Ernie has been seeming to do a lot of T.V. lately, though. Bill is someone I associate more with movies.
                            Last edited by NileQT87; 31-03-11, 11:48 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                            "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

• ubi4soft
                              Hellmouth Tourist
                              • Apr 2009

Full Jack poster http://bit.ly/ekE71f
                              "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
                              Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004

Comment

• sueworld
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2007

Thanks for that. God doesn't Barrowman look thin there. :eek:

Comment

• sherrilina
                                  Sassenach
                                  • May 2007

Thanks for that. God doesn't Barrowman look thin there. :eek:
                                  Obviously the angst and mourning over Ianto is taking a toll... I think he looks good though!

I'm LOL-ing at the palm trees though, since that obviously represents America! And people were complaining about the Hollywoodization of the show...

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• Nina
                                    and her haircut.
                                    • Nov 2007

It looks a bit like smebody used too much photoshop on one of the old promo's... or do they make the same kind of promo pictures for every season.

Ah well from what I saw of recent interviews and such... JB looks like he always does. So I blame it on the artwork.

Comment

• ubi4soft
                                      Hellmouth Tourist
                                      • Apr 2009

Twitter rumor spreading #FaithSlaysTorchwood

JaneEspenson Jane Espenson
                                      We have faith in Torchwood: Web of Lies. #hint
                                      10 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

There is going to be Torchwood web content. So in addition to #TorchwoodMiracleDay there is #TorchwoodWebOfLies . Enjoy all the TW brands!
                                      21 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

@elizadushku Thanks again! #TWWebOfLies
                                      59 minutes ago Favorite Undo Retweet Reply
                                      "Gunn dies, Illyria Survives, Spike shanshus, Angel looses an arm and Xander looses an arm too, which is odd because he wasn't even there."
                                      Joss Whedon at the High Stakes convention - 2004

Comment

• gregor
                                        Scooby Gang
                                        • Mar 2011

Bill Pullman has been in some good movies, too. Serpent and the Rainbow and Lost Highway. He's a really good actor who's been in some really weird movies.

Comment

Working...
                                        X