Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell T. Davies to return as showrunner of Doctor Who

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?artic...who-showrunner

Very little surprises me, but honestly I’m shocked at this news. Not shocked that the BBC asked him to return, but that Davies accepted it.

I expect the fans who complain about the “wokeness” of current Doctor Who forget about how many fans whinged about the wokeness of RTD’s run in 2005.

Although I liked Chris Chibnall’s recent run and was happy to see so many women and people of colour writing and directing Doctor Who. There was diversity behind the camera as well as in front.

What’s interesting is that Doctor Who has now been outsourced as a co-production by a company run by Davies’s old partners in crime. As a former employee of Canada’s public broadcaster, I have a soft spot in my heart for the BBC and hope it can weather this kind of privatization.

I was surprised too, but I think Davies is a great writer and I can't wait to see what the does with the show.

Comment

• PuckRobin
      PuckRobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't seen the last couple things he did, but I've heard great things about It's a Sin and Years and Years.

• Priceless
      Priceless commented
      Editing a comment
      I've not seen either of those shows, but Davies is beloved by all and never gets a bad review.

I'm glad he's back...I kinda lost interest in the latest iteration of the Doctor. I enjoyed It's a Sin (as much as you can "enjoy" a series about Aids in the 80s). I missed Years & Years but a) it's set in Manchester and b) it's had good reviews so there's every reason to catch it.

PuckRobin
    I have a soft spot in my heart for the BBC and hope it can weather this kind of privatization.
    I'm not sure it'll weather the storm. It's come in for a huge battering from the right on accounts of its "wokefulness" and (maybe less so) from the left because of its coverage of Corbyn and because it's perceived as turning into a mouthpiece for the Government. It can't win. It's a crying shame...if you understood its purpose it was something to be proud of. I also worry about Channel 4 - even Thatcher saw better than attempt to privatise it.
    sigpic

Comment

I've stopped watching BBC news. They just don't talk about things I'm interested in. I prefer BBC radio nowadays. Is that a sign of age?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I've stopped watching BBC news. They just don't talk about things I'm interested in. I prefer BBC radio nowadays. Is that a sign of age?
        Probably. I don't watch any news (I think I've turned the TV on twice this year, which begs the question of why I bought a new one in January). I flit between The Guardian Online and The Mail Online. That way I can vent my spleen by leaving comments BTL. I've turned into a proper keyboard warrior - alternatively, a troll. I'm hoping there are "Tory Out" protests organised for the Tory Party Conference in Manchester next month. I need to get out more. I bought some "comfortable" shoes for the occasion - that's a sure sign of old age. (that's not a sad walk...that's me limping through my next protest ).

Have you seen GB News?
        sigpic

Comment

Have you seen GB News?
          Yes. I have watched Alex (Phillips??), Michelle Dewberry who was on The Apprentice, Nana (Akua ??) and Mercy (surname unknown to me). The only man I can bear on there is Andrew Doyle because he's both intelligent and amusing, though I tend to listen to his podcast more than watch him on tv. I can't bring myself to watch any of the other men, they would doubly annoy me.

To be honest it's not bad. They are definitely covering things the BBC are not, and I like that. They've covered a lot of feminist stuff and mvaw which you just don't find on other stations, unless a high profile murder has happened.

Comment

• TriBel
            TriBel commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting. I've read nothing about female presenters - everything (complaints and accolades) has been about Oliver or Farage or Wootton.

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I don't watch them. I find it difficult to believe they gave Farage a job, that he's actually a news presenter. We are living in strange times

Same here, but for me It's more about them being more and more but the UK version of Pravda. They're the mouthpiece of the Tories and even though thats been going on for a long time now their ability to twist the truth has gotten ridiculous these last few years.

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            I get the impression that they are trying to please all the people all the time, a complete impossibility and just annoys everyone. BBC radio seems to allow for a wider range of voices and views, which I like.

Originally posted by PuckRobin View Post
          Very little surprises me, but honestly I’m shocked at this news. Not shocked that the BBC asked him to return, but that Davies accepted it.

I expect the fans who complain about the “wokeness” of current Doctor Who forget about how many fans whinged about the wokeness of RTD’s run in 2005.
          I had to look up which years he was showrunner as I don't tend to pay attention to who is operating things behind the scenes. I haven't kept up with all the Dr Whos since it restarted in 2005 but I did watch Eccelston's run and then Tennant's. I stopped watching religiously when DT left, only catching the odd episodes after that. I've just seen one or two for each Dr since, so not really enough to have a strength of opinion on whether they changed greatly in tone. But as DT was my favourite, it probably suggests I'll like what Davies does with his return.

I've never paid attention to other fandoms, so I don't know what reactions they've had to current compared to the past. Where the accusations of wokeness might be flung at the current seems fairly obvious with Jodie as the Dr, but I don't know what was said back in 2005?

Comment

• PuckRobin
            PuckRobin commented
            Editing a comment
            In 2005, pretty much the same stuff they say now. Having regular characters of colour and focusing on companions’ lives was relatively new for the show.

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            So more, "Change! Arrrrgh" responses than anything.

Imo Priceless it's more about running scared of the Tories not renewing their broadcasting license, which imo they'll do. To capitulate with the 'enemy' dosen't meant you're spared. It just means they get to you last...

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
            I'm glad he's back...I kinda lost interest in the latest iteration of the Doctor. I enjoyed It's a Sin (as much as you can "enjoy" a series about Aids in the 80s). I missed Years & Years but a) it's set in Manchester and b) it's had good reviews so there's every reason to catch it.

PuckRobin

I'm not sure it'll weather the storm. It's come in for a huge battering from the right on accounts of its "wokefulness" and (maybe less so) from the left because of its coverage of Corbyn and because it's perceived as turning into a mouthpiece for the Government. It can't win. It's a crying shame...if you understood its purpose it was something to be proud of. I also worry about Channel 4 - even Thatcher saw better than attempt to privatise it.
            I lost interest during the Moffat years (I think sometime midway through Matt Smith's time as the Doctor, not because of him, but because of the writing) so this is great news.

Although I must say I have somewhat mixed feelings about It's a Sin, because of the way it treated its only major female character - who was basically just there as a friend/caretaker for the male characters and never got to be a character in her own right. I don't even know whether she was supposed to be gay, bi, straight or ace, since they never addressed it.

I remember really liking Casanova, the miniseries he did before Dr Who, which also starred David Tennant (and Peter O'Toole as the older iteration of Casanova, which is why Tennant had to wear blue contacts).
            You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

TimeTravellingBunny

I watched most (all?) of Capaldi's Doctor and the beginning of Jodie's but I didn't like the companions much in the latter.

Although I must say I have somewhat mixed feelings about It's a Sin, because of the way it treated its only major female character - who was basically just there as a friend/caretaker for the male characters and never got to be a character in her own right. I don't even know whether she was supposed to be gay, bi, straight or ace, since they never addressed it.
              I agree...at the same time, I enjoyed Lydia West's performance far more than Olly Alexander's (I couldn't feel sympathetic towards him... was I supposed to like him? If so, I failed) and I thought Keeley Hawes was great (nothing new there). My lads think RTD coming back confirms Alexander as the new Dr even though he's denied it.
              sigpic

Comment

Step one: the Master made it up
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

All the BBC Doctor Who pages are gone! All that's left is this message . . .

'Oh my giddy Aunt!

The stuff, it’s gone wibbly! (1313)'

Comment

I wonder if the Doctor's first words in the trailer they will surely drop within a week will be "Miss me?"

Oh my giddy Aunt is something the 2nd Doctor played by Patrick Troughton would say. A lot of his episodes were deleted and only preserved in audio recordings made by fans who hooked tape recorders to their TV sets by at least 1964 and the fourth story ever. I know the BBC had been releasing a lot of animated reconstructions of them, and there's one coming soon. But part of me hopes that they are not only launching series 13 with the Thirteenth Doctor (error 1313) but they will announce they've recovered another missing 1960s episode from a foreign broadcaster. (Several episodes were returned in 2013.)

Comment

All the BBC Doctor Who pages are gone! All that's left is this message . . .

'Oh my giddy Aunt!

The stuff, it’s gone wibbly! (1313)'
                      I've no idea what's going on! Have you seen the stuff on Twitter about phone numbers to ring the Dr on? All I know is RTD has pissed the DM readers off by swearing about Nadine Dorries. All my Christmases have come at once.

https://twitter.com/AllonsyWhovian_/...21259740864515
                      Last edited by TriBel; 09-10-21, 07:48 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh wow that's exciting. I want to ring the Doctor now.

Priceless - Seems there were ads all over Liverpool. Ring it - apparently, you get a message asking you to report UFO activity. I'm gonna ring it and report Mail readers as homophobic aliens - Daleks without their cans. Honestly, they know nothing about RTD or Dr Who...just accusing him of writing a load of woke stuff (I presume they're referring to Jodie's Dr) and sleeping his way to the top. The FT reckons the Dr Who franchise makes an annual profit of 14million but they're still complaining about how much RTD gets paid (they don't know his salary - they're guessing). Just read - "Excellent scriptwriter, but still a Commie"
                      sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        All the doctor who social media is back!!

• TriBel
                        TriBel commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Priceless - Had it really disappeared (as in Gone Down) or was it a marketing thing?

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Marketing, definitely marketing. And it worked.
                    Working...
                    X