No announcement yet.

Bond, James Bond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure talent is often inherited, and I love John, Hayley and Juliet Mills, so I can't say a bad word against them. The Redgraves aren't bad either. I am also a fan of Schmeichel junior, though obviously not Schmeichel senior Still can't bring myself to watch Fleabag or have a kind word for Hiddleston.

A mate wants to see the new Spiderman film, so my opinion of Cumberbatch might improve after that.

Comment

I still say that Gillian Anderson or Natalie Dormer would make a good Bond

Comment

• Priceless
        Priceless commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't want a female Bond, but they would both be great in the role. Although I think Gillian might be a bit too old.

Oh...just make Olivia Coleman Bond - isn't that what we usually do? Start with OC and work our way down.? IDK...I mean I don't LIKE Bond but I don't know whether I'd like a female - any female - playing Bond. I just can't picture it. It's not me being sexist or anti-genderswap - unlike the Doctor (and I'd have another female doctor), I really can't imagine it. I have more luck visualising a bloke playing Buffy than a woman playing Bond. I look at images of Natalie Dormer rocking her shaved hair and I think "Yeah HowiMetdaSlayer 's right - it works". Then I turn away and...damn...she's Margaery again. I can't get my brain to fix her as Bond. If I could, I'd say she's perfect.
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah it needs to be someone who isn't popular and well known. Most actors that are already suggested are too famous for the role. It needs to be someone who's a jobbing actor, done some decent roles but isn't mega famous or with 40 years worth of work under their belts If I were looking, I'd look at the smaller independent British films, who's made a low key name for themselves. Michael Ward or Daniel Kaluuya, though Kaluuya may be too famous at this point. Tom Hughes is gorgeous and has edge.

As for the Doctor, I think the next one has to be female or they will undo all the work and effort they've put into Jodie Whittaker's version. It would be telling the trolls 'oh you are right, we did make a mistake, here you go, we'll give you exactly what you want' and another version of David Tennant's doctor appears. Boring and regressive.

Comment

I can see Tom Hughes in the role (sans his sideburns) and I think Michael Ward would be great. Kaluuya...I'd be looking over my shoulder all the time...or mumbling Wakanda Forever. Maybe his recent roles have been too high profile. At the same time, I don't see Idris Elba and think Stinger Bell, Luther or "Open the gate". Is it me or is he a bit of a chameleon?
          sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            For me Stringer Bell was very American and I didn't realise Elba was British till after watching the show!

Priceless You seen this thread on Twitter? A 32-year age gap: How Daniel Craig's on-screen affair with older woman Anne Reid broke cinema's oldest taboo. I think it was started by an article in The Telegraph (which I'm sure you said you read) and it's in response to the age gap between Bond and the women in his life.
          sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            I have seen it trending and I know the film, though not seen it. It was one of my friends I went to the pictures with who mentioned the age gap between Bond and his gf.

• TriBel
            TriBel commented
            Editing a comment
            Priceless - I thought you'd mentioned it - that's why I posted it.

TriBel - I see Coleman more as M

Comment

• TriBel
            TriBel commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah...she'd make a great M (she's the new Judy Dench). I was being flippant. I thought Natalie Dormer was a good suggestion.

Anyone seen this yet? Hoping to go with friends tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
            I saw it last week. Unexpectedly good, much better than I'd expected. The action is fun, but it packs a real emotional punch too. Not perfect by any means and there were some eyerolling moments, but still enjoyable.

Comment

It's enjoyable but they could've chopped 30 mins off the movie and not missed anything

Comment

I'm going to see the movie on Saturday. I am not really excited about it. We gave friends of ours a movie night out as a birthday gift (fully expecting some never-heard-of indie movie) and they came up with Bond. We were shocked but couldn`t worm our way out ...

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Priceless
                  Priceless commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Or I hope so.

Are we discussing the movie yet? I liked it overall. Definitly have some spoilerish questions tho...

Comment

• TriBel
                  TriBel commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not a problem for me. a) I don't mind spoilers because I forget the plot and b) I don't like Bond. You can always use the spoiler facility and block the worst out.

Are we discussing the movie yet? I liked it overall. Definitly have some spoilerish questions tho...
                What sort of questions? I had a few myself.

Comment

Are we discussing the movie yet? I liked it overall. Definitely have some spoilerish questions tho...
                  Sure! Let's talk about it. Anyone who hasn't seen it yet, beware that there will be

S PO I L E R S

from here on!

I thought it was a clever move to put the only actor in a cage bind his hand and feet, take away an eye and have a look if he will still wipe everyone else off the screen.

(Spoiler: he did.)

I don't know what happened to Daniel Craig. He looked not aged but ... weathered.

And what was Freddie Mercury doing in that movie?

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

I thought it was a clever move to put the only actor in a cage bind his hand and feet, take away an eye and have a look if he will still wipe everyone else off the screen.
                    No way. Daniel Craig was the star for a reason. He was great, although I agree he looked 'weathered'.

There were a couple of things that bothered me. I loved the cold opening, it was scary and very well done. But why did Safin pull Madeline from under the ice? Why not let her die?

I also couldn't understand why Safin let Mathilde go. She was a great bargaining chip, it seemed silly just to let her go. Maybe Safin had a soft spot for children?

Apart from those two instances, I thought the screenplay made sense. I loved Paloma and she should have her own movie franchise!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      I loved Paloma and she should have her own movie franchise!
                      ^ Yeah this!
                      Me & my GF have now got serious girl crushes on Ana de Armas

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        She was great and with only three weeks training

Priceless
                      But why did Safin pull Madeleine from under the ice? Why not let her die?
                      I could explain that away with him suddenly feeling remorse and empathy. Maybe he simply felt a connection to the little girl (which would also explain why he kept her alive later on).

But there was a lot of stuff I could not (yet) explain to myself satisfactorily.

Where did little Madeleine get the gun from? Did she have one under her bed? Why was Safin not dead - not even injured or weakened - although she shot him several times? Why was she dragging his body out into the snow? What was she planning to do? Bury him in the frozen ground? Drop him into the frozen lake? How would she explain her mother's murder to the police without the guy who committed the crime?

I thought that Safin actually had taken little Madeleine with him and raised her to become one of his minions. But it seems he just walked away and left her out there in the cold.

There was something else I found quite misleading. Little Madeleine was maybe eight when Safin - a grown adult - came to her house. But when they met again, maybe twenty years later, they looked about the same age. Also, the scars on the face of the masked man were much worse than those on Safin's face when he came to visit Madeleine. That's why I had no clue this was the same guy.

And why did Madeleine tell James Bond that Mathilda wasn't his daughter? Was she misleading him? Is the girl his child or not?

And let's also address the elephant in the room:
                      Spoiler:
                      Is James Bond really dead?

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

Mathilde is definitely, without a doubt, Bond's daughter.

I'm sure we see Madeline get the gun from somewhere, though now I can't remember where. Safin had a limp, which was a nod to him getting shot. Maybe he wore a bullet proof vest?

This version of Bond is dead. I imagine it's time for a new version, with a clean slate. A brand new imagining of the character.

Comment

I'm guessing the next iteration will be some kinda reboot. Whether another (usual) soft reboot with the same M & Q, but a new Bond. They might do a hard reboot with an all new everyone. I'd prefer they just have a new 007 with Bond being an alias. Which is what they shoulda done in the Craig Bond era. TPTB really dropped the ball on that one earlier when they showed the grave stones of James' parents 'Mr & Mrs Bond'. Now I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but are we really to believe that a secret agent uses his real name while out on missions? Bish please! Now I have read some online peeps saying that James & previous agents (via Javiar Bardem's character's statements) were brainwashed into believing that they were actually Bond, but that's also kinda silly. Now, for the 1st time (in No Time To Die), someone else was 007. So why can't the moniker also be part of the mantle taken up by whomever M picks to be the latest driver of the Aston Martin/drinker of the watered down Martini/wearer of the infamous tux?
                          Last edited by HowiMetdaSlayer; 18-10-21, 01:37 PM.

Comment

The kind of retro-uber masculine figure represented by Bond in the 50s and 60s has undergone a lot of changes - at the moment, the movies are trying to either lampshade it all or interject a bit of homoerotic mystique and female compatriots to give him a contemporary sheen.

But so much of Bond stems from a WWII frame of mind - Fleming was involved in so many operations in the theater of war and thought up Bond during his time working in special intelligence and journalism (the tabloidish and colorful style of the British papers had a huge influence on the books). His own secretary wrote up the first draft from his handwritten notes and Miss Moneypenny was based on her.

His actual vision of Bond was a boring guy who looked like musical theater composer Hoagy Carmichael (who wrote some incredible songs like Stardust Memories) - not all all like Sean Connery.

The Bond series really needs to grow and change to stay current, I think. At the moment, he kinda reminds younger generations as a Mad Men kinda English white guy who does Mission Impossible stunts while still stuck in a Don Draper mind-set. It's likely all of that will change.

I'd shoot for someone completely unknown - and then take Bond places that he's never been - without losing his particular charm as a 'shaken, not stirred' cool guy of the 50s. It's pretty common for literary characters to shift in perspective after a century or two - Bond first appeared in 1953, so it's about time that they stretched the character's wings a bit.
                            Last edited by American Aurora; 18-10-21, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• Priceless
                              Priceless commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm surprised that such a British character was first imagined as someone so American as Hoagy Carmichael.
                          Working...
                          X