Bond, James Bond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bond, James Bond

Anyone got any favourites to take over the role?

Personally I'm a big fan of Tom Hardy and he's ahead in the betting, but that means nothing.

Who'd you like to see as Bond? Idris Elba, Henry Cavill, Rene Jean Page or someone else?

Or do you hate the Bond franchise? Want to shake it up and have a female Bond? Just let it die quietly and fade into history?

Is Tom Ellis auditioning for the role? I think he would be a perfect classic Bond.

I am hesitant about a female Bond. A female Doctor hasn't really worked for the Dr. Who franchise, has it?

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
      Is Tom Ellis auditioning for the role? I think he would be a perfect classic Bond.

I am hesitant about a female Bond. A female Doctor hasn't really worked for the Dr. Who franchise, has it?

flow
      I find Tom Ellis a bit too much like Leslie Phillips, an old British comedy actor, but I'd give him a chance as Bond. I like a more masculine Bond myself, in the Sean Connery, Daniel Craig mould. I expect Ellis would be more of a Roger Moore.

My thoughts on a female doctor is that it isn't the sex of the doctor that's the problem, but the writing of the episodes. A great writer could have propelled Jodie Whittaker's doctor into one of the best, but unfortunately the writing wasn't up to scratch. But saying that, I don't think I'd want a female Bond as a central character, but it does always depend on the writing.

Comment

I think Daniel Craig was a great casting because he didn't just look uber-smooth and I think Tom Hardy has that, whereas Henry Cavill is more tall dark handsome in a 'classic' way. Change is always good though and seeing Bond played in a different way would probably reduce the more direct comparison and be interesting.

I'd quite like Tom Hiddleston because I'm not sure you can get too much of him.

Comment

• Priceless
          Priceless commented
          Editing a comment
          I can certainly get too much Hiddleston. I've never seen the attraction myself.

Priceless
        Personally I'm a big fan of Tom Hardy and he's ahead in the betting, but that means nothing.
        He does realise it's a talking role - yes? Has he spoken since Bronson?

flow
        I'm not sure he has the gravitas - though he could look the part. He's been mentioned before.

Stoney
        I'd quite like Tom Hiddleston because I'm not sure you can get too much of him.
        Could work - though I thought he was poor in Loki. Better in Night Manager and as whichever Henry he was.

Of all of them, I'd prefer Idris - but I think he's said he's too old.

And yeah...I hate Bond - as far as I'm concerned, they shoulda stopped with Sean C.
        sigpic

Comment

• BtVS fan
          BtVS fan commented
          Editing a comment
          You've clearly not seen Dunkirk he speaks in that

Of all of them, I'd prefer Idris - but I think he's said he's too old.
        I'd have loved to see Elba in the role, and I'm sure he could still pull it off, but it's whether the actor feels he could do it, he is nearly 50. But Hardy is only 5 years younger.

Comment

Priceless wrote : I can certainly get too much Hiddleston. I've never seen the attraction myself.
          I saw him in the NT production of Coriolanus and he was wonderful. And I've enjoyed him as Loki in the films I've seen him in (I haven't watched the tv series yet). Is there anything specific you dislike about him?

Comment

Michael Fassbender would be my choice for the next James Bond.

I'm not a fan of making Bond black, and or a woman. Personally I feel that if you're going to make such a big change to a well known established character than you're better off making an original character instead.
            My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't mind seeing Fassbender's Bond

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

I saw him in the NT production of Coriolanus and he was wonderful. And I've enjoyed him as Loki in the films I've seen him in (I haven't watched the tv series yet). Is there anything specific you dislike about him?
            He's just not physically attractive to me. There's also something about his background, his bearing, his entitlement maybe, that puts me off. I am sure he's a nice guy (I'm not really, it's just something we say isn't it), but his poshness is a barrier to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              I'm sure he's a nice guy (I'm not really, it's just something we say isn't it),
              True enough.

I don't think he's attractive as Loki, but I do like lean and I think he can look very nice. I'm sure he could downplay the poshness a bit but I suspect Bond is more likely to bring it out as a very ott 'english' Bond. From what I've seen he isn't as likely compared to others though, so you're probably going to be safe.

Comment

• Priceless
                Priceless commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe I'd like him more if he were a good Bond. I know I'm in a tiny minority but I wasn't a fan of Loki in the films, it's not a character that resonates with me.

Stoney
              I saw him in the NT production of Coriolanus and he was wonderful. And I've enjoyed him as Loki in the films I've seen him in (I haven't watched the tv series yet).
              I was astounded by how good a Shakespearean actor he was - and I thought he managed menace really well in Night Manager (but so did Hugh Laurie). I liked him as Loki in the films but wasn't impressed by the series.

Lostsoul666
              Good call.

Priceless
              I am sure he's a nice guy (I'm not really, it's just something we say isn't it)
              Only if we're nice ourselves. I don't say it - but I'm not nice. You're right about his aura of entitlement. Perhaps that's why he's good at playing Gods and Kings? Christopher Eccleston? More seriously, Richard Madden? Oh...Andrew Scott - I'd watch a hysterical Bond.

One person in the running is James McAvoy. I'd watch McAvoy read the phone book but, allegedly, he doesn't want the role.
              Last edited by TriBel; 23-09-21, 06:32 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Only if we're nice ourselves. I don't say it - but I'm not nice. You're right about his aura of entitlement. Perhaps that's why he's good at playing Gods and Kings? Christopher Eccleston? More seriously, Richard Madden? Oh...Andrew Scott - I'd watch a hysterical Bond.

One person in the running is James McAvoy. I'd watch McAvoy read the phone book but, allegedly, he doesn't want the role.
                You are a nice person. I love Christopher Eccleston, and I would love to see his Bond. Can you imagine? It would certainly be intense. Neither Madden or Scott really float my boat. McAvoy would be interesting, but I don't find him particularly charismatic or physically attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post

I'm not a fan of making Bond black, and or a woman. Personally I feel that if you're going to make such a big change to a well known established character than you're better off making an original character instead.
                  I haven't got a problem with them making Bond Black. Idris Elba is an obvious candidate.
                  I'm not a fan of making Bond a woman though. The character is male. If you don't want to write a male Bond then write another character I say

Comment

Saw No Time To Die this afternoon and really enjoyed it. It has all the action you'd expect from a Bond film, but it also packs an emotional punch. I didn't expect the ending and it did bring tears to my eyes.

There was definitely an attempt to turn the male gaze on it's head, if the 'female gaze' actually exists. Anyone want to comment on the sailing scene, please talk to me

Comment

Priceless
                      but I don't find him particularly charismatic or physically attractive.
                      I'm the same with Daniel Craig. In my head, he's still a Geordie from Our Friends in the North. Kinda ridiculous because I can't even remember the plot. I don't find Hardy attractive - though he is charismatic in an enigmatic sort of way. He has a presence - but does he "loom"? Can spies loom? I like Tinker, Taylor sorta spies - shabby, down-trodden, common or garden rain mac wearing type spies

BtVS fan
                      You've clearly not seen Dunkirk he speaks in that
                      Yes...I've seen Dunkirk (despite Farage recommending it ). According to one critic he has 10 lines. - hardly verbose. In fact, The Independent did an article saying how good he was despite having so few lines.

Priceless
                      Saw No Time To Die this afternoon and really enjoyed it. It has all the action you'd expect from a Bond film, but it also packs an emotional punch. I didn't expect the ending and it did bring tears to my eyes.

There was definitely an attempt to turn the male gaze on it's head, if the 'female gaze' actually exists. Anyone want to comment on the sailing scene, please talk to me
                      I wondered when you'd see it. I've only heard great things about it (and complaints about Craig's jacket being too tight at the premiere). I'll pass on the female gaze - I'm still not sure - but if I had to put money on anyone doing it, it would be Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Didn't she kinda drop a hint about writing an original female "Bond"?
                      sigpic

Comment

In my head, he's still a Geordie from Our Friends in the North
                        That was a great show, though he didn't look his best in it. Didn't he play a down and out?

I don't find Hardy attractive
                        We don't have the same taste in men at all Who would you say is really attractive? Not that Bond has to be attractive.

I like Tinker, Taylor sorta spies - shabby, down-trodden, common or garden rain mac wearing type spies
                        Me too. One of my all time favourite films is The Ipcress File, which I think helped to make the 'ordinary' spy fashionable.

I wondered when you'd see it. I've only heard great things about it (and complaints about Craig's jacket being too tight at the premiere). I'll pass on the female gaze - I'm still not sure - but if I had to put money on anyone doing it, it would be Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Didn't she kinda drop a hint about writing an original female "Bond"?
                        It really is an enjoyable film. I'd recommend it. Craig does look old and one of my friends thought the age difference between him and Lea Seydoux was off putting. I do not understand the idolising of PWB, she brings out all my inverted snobbery and in my mind is in the same bracket as Hiddleston and Cumberbatch But I did enjoy the first season of Killing Eve

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post

This makes no sense to me: Britain has
                          a significant BIPOC population, so a Black
                          Bond would just be reflecting that—

I do, however, think that making Bond a woman
                          would change the character so radically, given
                          Bond's constitutive masculinity, that creating a
                          female equivalent would require an offshoot
                          line of the franchise, as others have noted...

I love Michael Fassbender, but cannot see him
                          taking the role, given those he tends to choose—

Cannot speak to most of the others mentioned,
                          as I watch little mainstream film...

(Although I may watch this las Craig Bond on a night
                          I need to not think—I like him very much in the role....)

Idris Elba would be perfect—

Comment

Priceless
                            Who would you say is really attractive? Not that Bond has to be attractive.
                            Oh, I dunno - I'm fickle. Someone dark. I found Tom Ellis attractive until I realised I didn't like his feet and he has a stupid laugh. I do like McEvoy - I'm absolutely overwhelmed by his Morpheus/Dream in Sandman but I think I'm in love with his voice (which, paradoxically, doesn't sound like him). That said, I'm also attracted to Lucifer in Sandman and he's voiced by Martin Sheen who does a great job of reminding me the original Lucifer was Bowie (he doesn't sound like Sheen - but then Sheen never sounds like Sheen). Strangely, I find Freddie Mercury attractive (at the moment and except when he purses his mouth - and the set of his shoulders. I'm presuming dead people aren't in the running for the next Bond?)...but I suspect that's his voice...and I suspect I'm fetishizing voices. Idris Elba...not blonde...and I like his voice. Sigh...maybe I should just watch Bond on the radio?

I do not understand the idolising of PWB, she brings out all my inverted snobbery and in my mind is in the same bracket as Hiddleston and Cumberbatch
                            You have a point - I'm the same with Stately Homes (inverted snobbery - not comparison with Hiddleston et al.). My accent changes in a Stately Home - becomes all "spit 'n sawdust" and dropped aitches - and I'm ready to man the barricades. Not seen Killing Eve (despite having it on Bluray). I've seen Fleabag - which I really liked - without liking a single character in it - and I've seen her NT one-woman Fleabag, which was great. She's receiving a lot of accolades for her creativity and she's credited with improving No Time to Die.
                            sigpic

Comment

I have no doubt PWB is incredibly talented and her work is brilliant. I just can't get over myself enough to enjoy it Same with Hiddleston and Cumberbatch. I loved Sherlock, but only because of Martin Freeman. I am sure I'm missing out on so much because I am angry at a system that allows such nepotism (the creative arts) and eventually no one who's parents weren't in the business or who aren't as rich as Croesus will ever be allowed in. (Yes I am catastrophising over something so minor )

Comment

Priceless
                                eventually no one who's parents weren't in the business or who aren't as rich as Croesus will ever be allowed in.
                                Nepotism: there've been theatre/film dynasties for a long time - The Kembles (1700s), The Irvings (1800s) - I think Shakespeare's son worked for his dad. There's the Redgraves and the Mills family; the Cusacks; the Wests; the Foxs. Similar situation in America (Fondas, Copollas etc). Then there's the Rosselinis (LOL! Can't think of any more European acting families). D'you think it's just opportunity/contacts or is there more to it? All the families mentioned have turned out award-winning actors (I'm excluding Laurence Fox 'cos I can't stand him) and often both parents are actors. D'you think the off-spring are just accustomed to the art - more confident, less likely to be over-awed (ie. environment) or is there something more? Is it looks (actors tend to be good-looking - perhaps they inherit good looks from their parents (again excluding Lozza Fox - who I loath)? Is it the same with other careers (didn't a Beckham play pro-football? Kasper Schmeichel is really his dad. The Charltons/Milburns. I can think of some writing families.) I've just read something (your fault) that says music, chess and other talents/abilities can be inherited - that it's only partly down to hard work and practice.

Wealth - of course - look at politics. You're not Nadine Dorries in your spare time, are you ('cos she's guilty of nepotism)?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X