Masters of the Universe: Revelation starring Sarah Michelle Gellar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters of the Universe: Revelation starring Sarah Michelle Gellar

Masters of the Universe: Revelation has premiered on Netflix, the sequel to the 1980s cartoon He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. But this time, the central character is Teela — she was the captain of the guard in the original show — played by Sarah Michelle Gellar.

https://youtu.be/iXdEeRBh9Zk

I see the spiritual successors of Warren are review-bombing the show to protest having a show with a woman in the lead. (I think some are also upset that they’ve traded He-Man’s original Iron Cross like symbol for a stylized H.)

I must admit I don't remember Teela off the top of my head, but I watched He-Man and She-Ra as a young child, so I'm interested in how this goes. Unsurprisingly, the cross switched to a 'H' matters not to me.

Comment

This has caused quite a stir on social media and a lot of people are not happy that He-Man is not central to his own cartoon. But personally I'm really happy for SMG and hope it's a big success as it appears her character Teela is the main character.

Comment

• PuckRobin
        PuckRobin commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, they are using the old toy line title “Masters of the Universe”, not the 1980s cartoon title “He-Man and the Masters of the Universe”. There’s a mob on social media who are perpetually outraged by anything with women and minorities.

• Priceless
        Priceless commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah a lot of neck beards on yt are losing their s*it over it. Pretty pathetic as per

Is there anything meaningful they have against it other than it being wrong for He-Man to not be the central character?

Comment

The bulk of stuff seems to be that a) He-Man and Skeletor aren’t the main stars (which they call bait and switch -- there is spoilery stuff related to this), b) Teela's character is too tough (she's been a warrior since the original toys), c) it's "woke" (ie: Teela's friend is a Black woman), d) they don't like the characterization of Moss-Man.
        Last edited by PuckRobin; 24-07-21, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• PuckRobin
          PuckRobin commented
          Editing a comment
          Complaining about Moss Man would be the equivalent of saying a Buffy reboot sucks because Clem is eating the wrong brand of potato chips.

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
        Is there anything meaningful they have against it other than it being wrong for He-Man to not be the central character?
        I watched a minute of a video on yt and the guy was complaining that Adam fell in the mud, he was covered in mud. Covered in mud I tell you! This seemed to irritate him no end (I don't know the cartoon at all, but I think Adam is He Man)

Comment

• PuckRobin
          PuckRobin commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, Prince Adam's the Clark Kent to He-Man -- perceived as cowardly by those who aren't in the know. You know, the kind of character who would .... fall in the mud.

I was always more invested in the animals so I hope Cringer/Battle Cat is in it. It sounds as if it is a knee jerk response from the original He-Man fandom. It does seem ludicrous to me but I can't say I haven't overreacted to things BtVS related in the past. I remember a particularly embarrassing rant about the artists having Spike holding a sword right handed.

Comment

• PuckRobin
          PuckRobin commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you’ll probably be happy with the appearance of Adam’s “fearless friend” Cringer. (If I remember the line from the old opening credits.)

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotta luv Cringer.

The Critical Drinker has done his review of the series . I think some of the issues seem to be Kevin Smith lying. I honestly don't know why he didn't just use She Ra instead as his main character ?

https://youtu.be/u6GUGatFBLo

Comment

• PuckRobin
          PuckRobin commented
          Editing a comment
          Played a few seconds of this review. I heard cackling over screenshots of those attacking Smith. Perhaps that's just his schtick but it doesn't leave a good first impression.

• BtVS fan
          BtVS fan commented
          Editing a comment
          PuckRobin preserver, he's quite dry in his humour

This is not the sort of story/movie I'd be interested in but I am absolutely happy for SMG!

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
          This is not the sort of story/movie I'd be interested in but I am absolutely happy for SMG!

flow
          It's not the first voice acting she's done. She did Star Wars Rebels with her husband and did the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles too I believe

Comment

Working...
          X