Netflix Daredevil by Buffy writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix Daredevil by Buffy writers

As Buffy Writers Drew Goddard and Doug Petrie did Seasons 1 and 3 and Season 2 respectively. I wondered what posters on here thought of the show ?

Daredevil was a good show, especially the first season. Best of the recent superhero tv shows, together with Jessica Jones s1. Both do fall in the "dark & gritty" category though. It did remind me of Ats from time tot time, much more so than BtVS.

Steven DeKnight was the showrunner during season 1 btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
      Daredevil was a good show, especially the first season. Best of the recent superhero tv shows, together with Jessica Jones s1. Both do fall in the "dark & gritty" category though. It did remind me of Ats from time tot time, much more so than BtVS.

Steven DeKnight was the showrunner during season 1 btw.
      Your right Deknight not Goddard I'm sorry.
      For me the highlight was Vince D'onofrio as the Kingpin. I could definitely watch him in the same role again

Comment

Honestly, "Daredevil" is fantastic. Season 2 drifted a bit and I think the costume just didn't really 'work' in the hyper-realized, pseudo-TDK-verse feel of the series, but I think it was a triumph. With apologies to Josh Brolin's Thanos, the two best MCU-generation villains have been realized by D'onofrio and by David Tennant in JJ. I'm an old, genre-savvy hand whose scene every trope and the "good samaritan" speech had me basically hypnotized.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
          Honestly, "Daredevil" is fantastic. Season 2 drifted a bit and I think the costume just didn't really 'work' in the hyper-realized, pseudo-TDK-verse feel of the series, but I think it was a triumph. With apologies to Josh Brolin's Thanos, the two best MCU-generation villains have been realized by D'onofrio and by David Tennant in JJ. I'm an old, genre-savvy hand whose scene every trope and the "good samaritan" speech had me basically hypnotized.
          Agreed Season 2 doesn't work as well as the others. The Ninjas in New York was goofy and I'm not sure if it was the dialogue or the casting but Elektra felt off to me. Also the celebration of the Punisher murdering people (its cool he does what needs to be done) is kind of disturbing.

Comment

All caught up

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

What's said in this post/comment is what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Daredevil was a good show. I haven't seen S3 yet. But it's highly overrated, as is almost all the Marvel stuff after The Avengers.

Jessica Jones S1 was the best NetFlix Marvel Season, because it's well-written and it made sense within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Daredevil lives in the same city as The Avengers, The Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, etc. Why is there much need for him? Why is Kingpin able to be so powerful?

* The best superheroes TV shows of recent years are:

Harley Quinn. It manages to be realistic and the characters know they live in a 'many multiverses' reality.

DOOM Patrol is fantastic and makes sense.

The Boys is great.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
              All caught up

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

What's said in this post/comment is what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Daredevil was a good show. I haven't seen S3 yet. But it's highly overrated, as is almost all the Marvel stuff after The Avengers.

Jessica Jones S1 was the best NetFlix Marvel Season, because it's well-written and it made sense within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Daredevil lives in the same city as The Avengers, The Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, etc. Why is there much need for him? Why is Kingpin able to be so powerful?

* The best superheroes TV shows of recent years are:

Harley Quinn. It manages to be realistic and the characters know they live in a 'many multiverses' reality.

DOOM Patrol is fantastic and makes sense.

The Boys is great.
              Season 3 was the best of the Seasons and Bullseye was fantastic in it

Comment

It's pretty well established throughout the MCU that the Avengers don't really get involved in relatively minor things like organized crime (which makes up the bulk of the Netflix MCU rogues gallery). It's very explicit in Spider-Man: Homecoming for instance. Plus, Spider-Man for example can't cover a whole city's problems and, certainly presented as a high school student, isn't really sophisticated enough to deal with some of those challenges anyway. While the Netflix stuff does delve into more supernatural sorts of challenges, particularly Iron Fist and The Defenders, it's mostly the sort of supernatural that doesn't get a lot of attention (deliberately, in the case of the Hand or of Kun-Lun). So it makes total sense that Iron Man and Thor aren't showing up for that.

Kingpin is a great villain because he's the most credible, realistic villain they have. He's a ruthless, ambitious man accumulating power for his own ends at bloody expense.

Personally I still S1 a bit more than S3 and that only a bit more than S2 - they are all pretty equal to me.

JJ season 1 is a masterpiece but the two that followed were... not.

Iron Fist was sort of a 'meh' in general, the best thing about it was Colleen.

Luke Cage was so hot and cold - the first half of season 1 was straight fire, the second half didn't pay it off, and S2 was hot and cold throughout.

The Punisher season 1 was really damn good at the time but I've never felt compelled to rewatch it, and I've never managed to commit to really pushing through Season 2 at all. Even though I think Bernthal is basically the perfect Frank Castle.

The Defenders... probably gets a bad wrap, more than it deserves. And it's pretty much required viewing before DD S3 in my opinion.
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

It's pretty well established throughout the MCU that the Avengers don't really get involved in relatively minor things like organized crime (which makes up the bulk of the Netflix MCU rogues gallery). It's very explicit in Spider-Man: Homecoming for instance. Plus, Spider-Man for example can't cover a whole city's problems and, certainly presented as a high school student, isn't really sophisticated enough to deal with some of those challenges anyway. While the Netflix stuff does delve into more supernatural sorts of challenges, particularly Iron Fist and The Defenders, it's mostly the sort of supernatural that doesn't get a lot of attention (deliberately, in the case of the Hand or of Kun-Lun). So it makes total sense that Iron Man and Thor aren't showing up for that.

Kingpin is a great villain because he's the most credible, realistic villain they have. He's a ruthless, ambitious man accumulating power for his own ends at bloody expense.

Personally I still S1 a bit more than S3 and that only a bit more than S2 - they are all pretty equal to me.

JJ season 1 is a masterpiece but the two that followed were... not.

Iron Fist was sort of a 'meh' in general, the best thing about it was Colleen.

Luke Cage was so hot and cold - the first half of season 1 was straight fire, the second half didn't pay it off, and S2 was hot and cold throughout.

The Punisher season 1 was really damn good at the time but I've never felt compelled to rewatch it, and I've never managed to commit to really pushing through Season 2 at all. Even though I think Bernthal is basically the perfect Frank Castle.

The Defenders... probably gets a bad wrap, more than it deserves. And it's pretty much required viewing before DD S3 in my opinion.

Hopefully they'll make Spidey a bit older so we can get Kravens last hunt and Death of Jean Dewolff storylines. Which don't work with a kid. Im still having a hard enough time wondering why a Billionaire prot?g? cannot afford to pay his Aunts rent bill ???
                  Hell the Kingpin was originally his villain in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post

Hopefully they'll make Spidey a bit older so we can get Kravens last hunt and Death of Jean Dewolff storylines. Which don't work with a kid. Im still having a hard enough time wondering why a Billionaire prot?g? cannot afford to pay his Aunts rent bill ???
                    Hell the Kingpin was originally his villain in the first place
                    Yeah, but that was also for an essentially adult Spider-Man.

Man, I hope Charlie Cox gets to play that character on the big screen. Jon Bernthal reportedly will be the MCU Punisher when they get around to it so that's good at least. I doubt Jess/Nick/Danny even get adapted to the MCU, but Daredevil and Punisher are upper tier properties.
                    sigpic
                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Yeah, but that was also for an essentially adult Spider-Man.

Man, I hope Charlie Cox gets to play that character on the big screen. Jon Bernthal reportedly will be the MCU Punisher when they get around to it so that's good at least. I doubt Jess/Nick/Danny even get adapted to the MCU, but Daredevil and Punisher are upper tier properties.

Agreed about Charlie Cox. Him and Vincent D'Onofrio definitely need to be kept. I could see Jess being kept because of Krysten Ritter being a big name. As for the others meh not so much.
                      Elektra definitely needs to be recast though I can't decide if the fault was the actress or the scripts that makes me think that ?
                      Wilson Bethel was equally great as Bullseye
                      Last edited by BtVS fan; 19-07-20, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Buffy/Whedon writers through superhero shows:

Daredevil: created by Goddard and run by DeKnight (S1) and co-run by Petrie (S2).

Defenders: co-run by Petrie (thats why, imho, Jessica sounds there so Faith...)

Jessica Jones: Jane Espenson did a polish over the scripts (S1) and was a writer (S3)

Agent Carter: co-run by Butters and Fazekas

So, the first 4 Marvel TV series (Shield, Carter, Daredevil, Jones) had Whedon writers... I wonder if Joss had a hand on those decisions (aside from AoS, of course) since he was in Marvel during these days. Marvel TV boss, Jeph Loeb, co-developed Buffy animated series with Joss.

Comment

• BtVS fan
                          BtVS fan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I didn't know Espenson did the polish overs

Agreed about Charlie Cox. Him and Vincent D'Onofrio definitely need to be kept. I could see Jess being kept because of Krysten Ritter being a big name. As for the others meh not so much.
                        Elektra definitely needs to be recast though I can't decide if the fault was the actress or the scripts that makes me think that ?
                        Honestly if they are burying Iron Fist, they could salvage Jessica Henwick as Elektra. She carried that show. But I also think Elodie Yung (sp) did fine. If they weren't having such a young guy play Nathan Drake I could see her in "Uncharted" sequels as Chloe.

Synch definitely a good mix of Buffyverse alums in the Marvel shows, and honestly the Daredevil set were most of my favorites in mid-late seasons. I kinda wish one of them had risen to the 2nd in command on "Buffy" to be honest.
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Honestly if they are burying Iron Fist, they could salvage Jessica Henwick as Elektra. She carried that show. But I also think Elodie Yung (sp) did fine. If they weren't having such a young guy play Nathan Drake I could see her in "Uncharted" sequels as Chloe.

Synch definitely a good mix of Buffyverse alums in the Marvel shows, and honestly the Daredevil set were most of my favorites in mid-late seasons. I kinda wish one of them had risen to the 2nd in command on "Buffy" to be honest.
                          Meh Petrie is overrated. I think he was Number 2 during S7 as Marti was away on Maternity leave. On BtVS Fool For Love was a happy accident (listen to the DVD commentary its all about Riley being so cool) he also did As You Were (awful directing in this) and End of Days 2 truly awful scripts. Even his Faith episode TYG if you compare it to the other 3 (Who Are You/5by5 and Sanctuary) was the weakest of the 4.
                          I think its no coincidence that the weakest stuff was done by him with DD2 and Defenders. The Ninjas in New York were so goofy they were laugh out loud funny. While his glorification of murder (it needs to be done amd its cool) was highly disturbing. They should've changed Elektra outfit too. Her bare arms were so skinny and scrawny it was hard to see how her punches could be so devastating.

Goddard and Deknight though were/are excellent. Selfless and Never Leave Me were the real stand outs of S7. While Damage and Shells on Angel S5 too that show to another level.

Comment

I liked Elektra, especially the actress, and her chemistry with Matt. At least in season 2... I have no idea what the writers thought they were doing with her in the Defenders. But the plot of The Defenders was generally a mess.

Generally, I think that the Netflix Marvel shows were really good to great (seasons 1 and 3 and the first half of Daredevil and season 1 of Jessica Jones were great) when they had nothing to do with the Hand. The Hand were such terrible villains and it was all a mess and tonally dissonant with the gritty realistic feeling of the shows. That plotline nearly destroyed the Netflix Marvel universe, thankfully it rebounded as season 3 of Daredevil was amazing, maybe even better than season 1, which I didn't think would be possible.
                            You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Working...
                            X