Carnival Row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnival Row

Has anyone seen this? Can you recommend it? I am considering to give it a try.

flow

Banner by Brendan

I've never heard of it flow, but it has Orlando Bloom in so that would tempt me to at least watch the first episode. If you do watch, let us know what you thought

Comment

I have watched the first two episodes yesterday and I have to say I like it!

It is set in a pseudo Victorian England which is called Burgue. Seven years before the show takes place Burgue an adversary called the Pact battled over the homeland of the fae people. Burgue lost and now the homeland of the fae People is one huge internment camp ruled by the Pact. Every now and then some fae people manage to flee, cross the sea and seek sabctuary in Burgue. The people of Burgue are afraid of being overrun by the refugees and the atmosphere is tense. The male lead is an inspector with the Burgue Police (Detective!) and the female lead is a fairy who has recently arrived in Burgue. It's obvious that there will be kisses and sex with wings flapping :-) But we are not there yet.

I like the visuals of the show and the plot. We even get parliamentary discussions which are very up to day (alas without a John Bercow). Cara Delevingne as the female lead is surprisingly good. Orlando Bloom is okay. He could notch up his performance.

I can really recommend it if you are into stories with fairies, fawns and centaurs. If not, this will probably not be something you will like.

flow
      flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

flow

I can really recommend it if you are into stories with fairies, fawns and centaurs.
        Okay!

We even get parliamentary discussions which are very up to day (alas without a John Bercow).
        No thanks!
        sigpic

Comment

Not on my Netflix but it sounds good

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

Episode 3 was a bit of a disappointment as it was a flashback to the war that took back seven years earlier. It was very GoT/LotR-ish and not really my cup of tea. I also found it hard to believe how people can meet, fall in love, have sex (or the other way round) and break up within 48 hours and mourn the loss of the other for the next seven years.

After the war episode, we were back in Carnival Row. The series didn't keep up with the high expectations raised by the first two episodes but it was still solid and enjoyable. I was a bit surprised by the ubiquitous use of the f*** word and also by how often people actually did f*** considering that this is a pseudo victorian society. You could become an outcast of society for not wearing the correct dress to a formal occasion but people were doing it like rabbits in each and every doorway.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

flow

I was a bit surprised by the ubiquitous use of the f*** word and also by how often people actually did f*** considering that this is a pseudo victorian society.
              Read Foucault on The History of Sexuality - or read My Secret Life, by "Walter". Possibly Frank Harris - My Life and Loves. The last two are available on line.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X