Star Trek: Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
    Sadly I don't have enough income to share that view.
    It isn't about having a high disposable income, I just miss out on watching some things if it isn't legally available and I don't have the cash for it (or it isn't even available to buy, which seems to possibly by the case for Netflix's Gerald's Game). I have friends who create/write and understandably get very upset by seeing people trying to get access to pirated copies. I understand it happens a lot and why people do it, I just choose not to.

Comment

Sadly I can't afford such lofty morals. If I did I'd never see a damned thing made in this decade.

Comment

A lot of the decent shows do eventually make it to terrestrial tv, you just have to wait a while to watch them.

Comment

Alas this is one of those everyone is right and wrong situations. In a perfect world we would all pay for content but in a perfect world everyone would be able to afford choices. Instead we live in a world where a few billionaires are hoarding money leaving the rest of us to fight over the scraps. The news industry is going bankrupt while billionaires are tainting the stories to turn us against each other and inadvertently make us support their agendas. That's why big mortgage companies can go bankrupt causing people to lose their homes and they get bailed out while the actual people who were hurt by their actions lose their homes. It's a complicated world.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

I am all for being thrifty. I also know how hard it can be for artists when people resort to wholesale piracy.

Greedy corporate policy is part of what feeds this impulse to "want, take, have". If you hide things behind not one but dozens of paywalls (as is happening with the greedy corporations who are starting dozens of streaming services and clawing stuff back from relatively cheap places like netflix) you encourage pirates. Most of us cannot afford dozens of streaming services.

The artist often gets caught in the middle. Only the corporations get rich b/c they have the content locked up. Greed sucks. I don't mean to be self-righteous. After all, I don't download stolen series, but I still watch YouTube. Free.
            Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 10-01-20, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              A lot of the decent shows do eventually make it to terrestrial tv, you just have to wait a while to watch them.
              The day Chernobyl turns up on the BBC/ITV I'll eat my hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                The day Chernobyl turns up on the BBC/ITV I'll eat my hat.
                It might

Comment

Yeah, right.

Comment

Have finished rewatching Deep Space Nine and while it's not as great as some remember it (26 episodes is to many for a season) it's still a million times better than Discovery Imo

Comment

Seriously? I'm not a fan of Deep Sleep Nine.

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
                        Have finished rewatching Deep Space Nine and while it's not as great as some remember it (26 episodes is to many for a season) it's still a million times better than Discovery Imo
                        Yep, I totally agree there.

Comment

Not seen much of the other Star Trek shows. Seen the first couple of Voyager which I really liked. Seen bits and pieces of the other shows when my brother watched them. Will have to check them all out in order one day.

Comment

Voyager was great! Enterprise was better than some said, but nowhere near as good as it could've been.
                            Discovery really takes off in season 2.

Comment

I've just done a re-watch of all the Star Trek shows as they're all on Netflix. In memory I thought Voyager was my favourite and the best, but after my re-watch I'd say DS9 was the best, or it's stood up the best over time.

I do enjoy Discovery, but I wonder if that's because I loved the old shows so much, Discovery has got a head start in my affections. I really didn't think much of The Expanse or other similar shows.

Comment

Originally posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
                                Seriously? I'm not a fan of Deep Sleep Nine.
                                I'm surprised what don't you like about it ?
                                Personally S1 with the exception of a few episodes like The pilot and Duet (which is a real standout in Trek in general) is not great but once S3 starts it really hits the ground running.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
                                Voyager was great! Enterprise was better than some said, but nowhere near as good as it could've been.
                                Discovery really takes off in season 2.
                                For me Voyager doesn't hold up.. Voyager writers always used the reset button for episodes and ruined the Borg and what was a great premise of 2 hostile crews forced to work together to get home just got forgotten about.
                                Oh and let's not forget the character Neelix either

Even the Actors hated Voyager and that was when the show was airing. Robert Beltran was giving interviews at the time the show was still being aired. How his character Chakoty is boring and he never does anything (I'm not exaggerating here he says this) and Garrett Wang as Ensign Kim was in open war with Producer/Writer Berman and Braga over his treatment. He was known as the eternal Ensign and they only kept him on the show because he was in a list of sexiest men at the time.

One thing I will say. The show had awesome theme music

Comment

Working...
                                X