WestWorld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WestWorld

Last night's penultimate episode of season 2 was frakkin' krazy! Is anyone watching this show?

Oh me! Me! I have and I adore it! Superb production standards and fantastic writing and performances! Best series on TV at the moment imo.

This made me smile.

Last edited by Silver1; 18-06-18, 09:29 PM.

Comment

The finale was bonkers! Wonder WTF gonna happen in S3?!

Comment

Well the writers have already come out said we'll have a story split between the park and the outside world.

I thought apart from a few plot 'niggles' the final was fantastic, and as for that post credit scene.....

Comment

I really, really prefer to hope that
          Spoiler:
          Stubbs was NOT a host, and was just trying to make very clear by allusion that he knew exactly who he was talking to and was making the choice to let her go. If he's just a host doing what Ford most likely wanted, that's... not exactly new ground. I kind of need him to be human, because there were ultimately only three human characters on this show who weren't garbage in most respects, and the other two (Emily and Elsie) didn't make it.

As for the post-credit... everything to do with MiB after he came to and got on the elevator is incoherent. Was it a 2nd elevator? Did he get off on the wrong floor? The lack of flooding indicates he went down there contemporaneous to Bernard and Delores but he was already out by the time Bernard left. Pretty much leaves in total disarray whether the William on the beach was the real one and the one in Fidelity Hell with host-Emily is a host copy, or whether he was always a Host for sometime (which the first hour of the finale indicated was not the case). But honestly I ran out of sh*ts to give to his story when he killed Emily, and honestly he became pointless once she came across him in the first place. Pour one out for the end of the frightening badass MiB whose very existence made us ask hard questions about whether our ethical and moral choices only matter when interacting with "real" people, for he did come to an end with his AWESOME monologue before he killed all the crazy soldier hosts.
          sigpic
          Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
            I really, really prefer to hope that
            Spoiler:
            Stubbs was NOT a host, and was just trying to make very clear by allusion that he knew exactly who he was talking to and was making the choice to let her go. If he's just a host doing what Ford most likely wanted, that's... not exactly new ground. I kind of need him to be human, because there were ultimately only three human characters on this show who weren't garbage in most respects, and the other two (Emily and Elsie) didn't make it.

As for the post-credit... everything to do with MiB after he came to and got on the elevator is incoherent. Was it a 2nd elevator? Did he get off on the wrong floor? The lack of flooding indicates he went down there contemporaneous to Bernard and Delores but he was already out by the time Bernard left. Pretty much leaves in total disarray whether the William on the beach was the real one and the one in Fidelity Hell with host-Emily is a host copy, or whether he was always a Host for sometime (which the first hour of the finale indicated was not the case). But honestly I ran out of sh*ts to give to his story when he killed Emily, and honestly he became pointless once she came across him in the first place. Pour one out for the end of the frightening badass MiB whose very existence made us ask hard questions about whether our ethical and moral choices only matter when interacting with "real" people, for he did come to an end with his AWESOME monologue before he killed all the crazy soldier hosts.
            The show runners have come out and explained the post credit sequence, even though I'm not particularly bright I got what was going on. It says it in the dialogue for a start.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...a-host-1122757

Comment

How long do we have to keep spoiler tagging stuff? Since the show has already aired? Anyway...
              Spoiler:
              Emily quickly became one of my favorite characters on the show. So was unhappy about her death. However at least it was important to the plot. Kind of like Callie on BSG. That's also why I sort of like how people can become hosts in WestWorld. Gives us a chance to see old faces again.

Comment

Thread is for the show generally and isn't spoiler-tagged.
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

I stopped watching Westworld after seeing the MiB's daughter meet the MiB.

Westworld is a much worse and much less entertaining version of Battlestar Galactica (the Reimagined version) and Joss Whedon's Dollhouse .

I don't care about hosts and would be perfectly happy if all of them 'died'. Dr. Ford was the only interesting character in Season 1 and they offed him and I was hoping he'd be in Season 2.

Perhaps the entire premise of Westworld is much better done in literally the first few minutes of the opening of Battlestar Galactica (the Reimagined version).

It's kinda a problem with the recent Planet of the Apes movies and probably why the last one didn't do relatively well at the box office. What human actually wants apes to rule the world?

BTW, the robots in BSG are more 'human' and sympathetic than the ones in Westworld . And the actors playing the robots are better and more dynamic and charismatic than the ones in Westworld .

Comment

Just started watching season 2 today

Comment

Well I'm on season 3 now and enjoying it very much, although I can't but feel they've slightly dumbed down this season. Probably because of some of the "Oh it's too complex to follow" nonsense the previous season got thrown at it.

Comment

I haven't started season 3 yet but have it recording. For both the previous two seasons I enjoyed them up to the last episode or two and really thought they struggled in both to pull off the season ends as well as they executed the main body of the seasons. I still enjoy the show well enough to keep watching and will watch three too, I'll just be pleasantly surprised if I enjoy it at the same level throughout.

Comment

Very biblical show. I did not really expect that, but like that. Some bits are genuinely boring, while others shine. Nothing too thought provoking, it has all been done before.

Comment

What the fact that in the real world human beings are on par with hosts in that the algorithm maps out and rules their lives?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                              What the fact that in the real world human beings are on par with hosts in that the algorithm maps out and rules their lives?
                              Somewhat. There were a heap of biblical parallels, a bit like in The Matrix. I'd have to watch it again (and pay better attention) to list them all.

Just a few (over simplified) examples here - hosts were created in their image, "paradise- like" existence (original programming), evil entering the paradise/westworld, evil measured against the creation, evil now drives the creation, what we are is already written, seeing the truth and given the choice, free will vs the plan or is the truth of free will in completing the plan = Promise of a fantasy after death etc etc... I could go on and on but it bores people ha ha. I don't think I care enough to write an essay on it, unless there was a reason to. '

The music (score?) choice is sort of strange too. It could be a timeless show but they've linked it with 90's soft rock and 99 luftballons in s3? Being set a short time in the future, mainstream music of the last few decades seems bizarre. I'd call it a try hard if it was a human instead of a show.
                              Last edited by Quake; 02-04-20, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I watched this show through the end of season one. Afterwards, it became impossible to continue. My issues were threefold:

1) it could not make up its mind about whether it aspired to be a myth about the dangers of creating autonomous artificial life (old hat, but fascinating and edifying if executed well) or a parable about the pathological attachments formed from the lack of accountability in playing video games (newer hat, but less ambitious);

2) the thematic vision of artificial life offered by the show ("consciousness is a journey inward") produces at best autism (not trying to criticize neurodiverse people at all) and at worst sociopathy (I cannot stress enough how dangerous the season's characterization of the Gestalt process of artificial life is. In fact a sizable portion of my life is dedicated to propagating and executing the idea that, if artificial life, the capacity for non-human intersubjective knowledge (not merely artificial intelligence, which is just basically the ability to play games effectively) is possible, then it is only possible through a journey outward);

3) the scenes further along in the timeline so vastly outstripped those before in quality of both intention and execution as to fracture my capacity to suspend disbelief.

Perhaps, as a programmer as well as a philosophy and social sciences autodidact, this show was never going to be easy for me to take on a surface level...all the same, the promise at hand was staggering. As it stands, a complete mess, and an unintentionally corrosive one. Perhaps this well was poisoned in advance, or perhaps I poisoned it for myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Quake View Post

Somewhat. There were a heap of biblical parallels, a bit like in The Matrix. I'd have to watch it again (and pay better attention) to list them all.

Just a few (over simplified) examples here - hosts were created in their image, "paradise- like" existence (original programming), evil entering the paradise/westworld, evil measured against the creation, evil now drives the creation, what we are is already written, seeing the truth and given the choice, free will vs the plan or is the truth of free will in completing the plan = Promise of a fantasy after death etc etc... I could go on and on but it bores people ha ha. I don't think I care enough to write an essay on it, unless there was a reason to. '

The music (score?) choice is sort of strange too. It could be a timeless show but they've linked it with 90's soft rock and 99 luftballons in s3? Being set a short time in the future, mainstream music of the last few decades seems bizarre. I'd call it a try hard if it was a human instead of a show.
                                  And yet you've just listed some of the reasons I bloody love this show. Far better imo that a lot of the other run of the mill dross thats currently doing the rounds.

Comment

I enjoy biblical based stories too, which is why I have continued watching. Its just not exceptionally unique in that regard.

It does touch on other issues that others in this thread have pointed out, but the parallels to the bible were most obvious and appealing to me.

Comment

I'm an atheist and all that kinda mumbo jumbo passed me by I'm afraid.

Comment

If you liked what I listed here you might like the bible stories. It's the bare basics of it.

Just a few (over simplified) examples here - hosts were created in their image, "paradise- like" existence (original programming), evil entering the paradise/westworld, evil measured against the creation, evil now drives the creation, what we are is already written, seeing the truth and given the choice, free will vs the plan or is the truth of free will in completing the plan = Promise of a fantasy after death etc etc...
                                        You don't have to believe in it to enjoy the ride.

The story is just told again in different forms. It's through a lot of current popular books and television, even Whedons, just most people don't seem to realise because they are so unfamiliar with the source.

I'll be interested to see where Deloris goes in s3, if she continues on an evil Jesus path or ventures onto a new story base. She has set up the ultimate good/evil war...

The nazi bit looks lame.

Comment

Working...
                                        X