• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Synch View Post
    Yep, I saw that coming too.

But, c'mon, WHAT a twist

Spoiler:
    Amalia as a time traveler became clear when she said that "WHEN I'm from".

I guess Joss did Epitaph Part One again
    It's been theorized. But fans guessing correctly is not a bad thing, at all. It just means a reveal makes sense and has been properly set up.

A great episode, anyway. It reminded me of Epitaph 1. And something that really did surprise me was the guest star. I had no idea they'd be in it.
    Spoiler:
    I didn't recognize Claudia Black at first because of the hair color.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Interview with Laura Donnelly: https://deadline.com/2021/05/the-nev...rs-1234757943/

They haven't even started to film the second half of season 1. No wonder the air date hasn't been announced. Maybe it won't even air in 2021?
      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Spoiler:
        Ok, I didn't expect a twist like this. The hints must have passed by me. I don't know how I feel about it. have to think about it some more. I also didn't recognized Claudia Black.

Comment

I have avoided peeking at the spoilers as I'm about to watch episode 1 tonight. What episode is it that you have gotten up to in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
            I have avoided peeking at the spoilers as I'm about to watch episode 1 tonight. What episode is it that you have gotten up to in the US?
            All 6 episodes they've filmed so far have aired. 1x06 is the mid-season finale. The pandemic messed up their schedule, which is why they decided to split the season in two.
            But as the lead actress says they haven't filmed anything for part 2 yet, I doubt we'll see season 1b in 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post
              Holly shit that twist.
              Spoiler:
              I didn't see that coming. So the real Amalia True has been dead since her suicide attempt, and the person that's currently in her body is from the future.

I imagine that some people will like this twist, and some will hate it.
              TBH I'm not sure why they'd hate it.
              Spoiler:
              Amalia being a soldier from the future
              was set up and hinted plenty of times in the first 5 episodes.
              When this was speculated, I thought I would only hate this twist if
              Spoiler:
              Amalia turns out not to be a human woman, but some kind of alien.
              But that's not the case.
              As it is,
              Spoiler:
              her being from the future and a veteran soldier
              explains things and removes the only issues I might otherwise have with her character. I'd have a problem if this hadn't been revealed to be the case, and if she really
              Spoiler:
              was meant to just be a Victorian baker and widow. Because things like her fighting skills then wouldn't make sense. Her skills and her anachronistic attidude make perfect sense with this reveal, and are not nonsense that's there just for her to be a cliche Strong Female Character.

Comment

This is very much an aside from the main discussion as I'm on the first episode, but I enjoyed it well enough. I'm not sure if anyone else who hasn't seen any yet is straying into the thread, but just in case....

Smallest ever spoilers for episode 1
                Spoiler:
                The basic set up of these 'touched' people and those in society around them, the groups taking an interest and the mix of potential obvious and hidden interest in them was intriguing overall. I'm looking forward to seeing where they are going with it. The main characters all have fascinating elements. I wasn't convinced by the inventions, but I like the possible link to the origin of the powers and the fact that clearly wasn't in the main remembered.

I really enjoyed Detective Frank Mundi's parts in this first episode.

Comment

Episode 6 was a blast! It has me dying to see what comes next. Also
                  Spoiler:
                  I hope this means there will be more Claudia Black in the series. Her introduction elevated the series to a much higher level.

Comment

So, has everyone seen the first episode of The Nevers now? Can we talk here spoiler free? Or should we make a spoiler-free thread for it?

I'm never quite sure about these things and don't want to be rude.

Comment

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Having a thread per episode is totally okay. You can mark it as [spoilers] at the start of the thread title so that people know it is being openly discussed and ask people don't refer forwards if they've seen other eps.

There is this review from the Irish Independent
                    https://m.independent.ie/entertainme...-40443953.html

Comment

• Synch
                      Synch commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It seems an impartial review :-D

• American Aurora
                      American Aurora commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looking at the critic's other rather misogynistic, creepy reviews, I'd say that they have some nerve.
                      Last edited by American Aurora; 25-05-21, 02:52 PM.

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It wouldn't let me access the full article to read it and I was wary of spoilers, but reading the title totally put me off even deciding if I was going to scan through it.

It is not a spoiler for anyone who's seen episode 1 that Eleanor Tomlinson sings in The Nevers (just as she sung multiple times on her earlier show, Poldark), but I've only just realized that she released an album in 2018 (Tales from Home). She really has a beautiful voice.

Comment

Okay I've seen the second and third episodes now. As these have been released widely now I'm posting without spoiler tags, I think everyone coming in here now has seen them. But if not, please note spoilery comments about episode 2 & 3 follow.

I still find the varying interests in people 'touched' is the most interesting element of the show so far. Getting some more insight into the various agendas and how they overlap is great. I enjoyed the defence and exploitation that became clear in Lavinia Bidlow's actions. And I did enjoy seeing the burgeoning interest/friendship between Penance and Augie. The element of his hidden skill and his later involvement in the further exploitation of those 'touched' in Swan's club, I'll be interested to see more develop with his character that spans the divide of those affected and those affecting.

Where the line falls in how much the exploitation in these different uses/revelations is freeing to those touched to be able to show themselves openly and how much it just underlines the sense of segregation is a fascinating element. But, I found I had to remind myself after watching these two episodes that this is an alternate world created, as the society respond to the creation of those 'touched' and the abilities they find have manifest. I do think the fascination with The Touched as curiosities is very believable of Victorian society and I'm also sure that in a repressed society there would be places and clubs generated to explore sexual interest. The meeting of these two elements isn't surprising. But there is definitely a HBO feel to things that I can't help feel is leaning into gratuitous at points.

The implied history between True and Maladie is interesting and I'm looking forward to hearing more on that. Frank Mundi is again a highlight. As another character that drifts between those affected and those looking to control or use The Touched, his responses to others are always intriguing. I really enjoyed seeing him interacting with True and her getting him to reveal some of his personal history. It left with some questions in what exactly is going on with The Touched who are being turned into mindless workers and what Lavinia Bidlow's hidden intentions connected to that are? No doubt it'll all be about power, it usually is.

The following episode's play on drawing The Touched to join True's group by using Mary's singing, distractedly reminded me of the later season of Heroes and the dreadful cello playing element. But the questioning of whether True's mission should be supported was good. In a world where intentions are often hidden and distrust is warranted it was an inclusion I appreciated. The way that story played out and tied around Mundi too through to the shocking execution of Mary, I thought was well done.

Connections again were a major feature of the episode alongside this overall sense of power, control and exploitation. From Swan's use of The Touched and manipulation of Augie, Mundi's past with Mary playing such a key element alongside the revelation of some sexual past between him and Hugo Swan, through to True's revealed affair with the Doctor, the sense of how people affect each other is such a heavy element.

I also really enjoyed The Beggar King in this episode and seeing Nick Frost play such a brutal character after seeing him in so many comedies. The acting around The Opium burning was pretty ropey though. There was also (my husband insisted) some inaccuracy in the naming of the London police and who the connections would be that people were referring to which just didn't fit English police structuring. It went over my head, but for a history buff like him it was apparently sore thumby.

Comment

I caught up on the remaining three episodes 4-6 a few weeks ago now, but just kept forgetting to come and post on them. I've tried to split my thoughts at each episode point, although it's possible I might have muddled them up a bit.

My thoughts at the point of watching episode 4, Undertaking, were not so good. At that point I was finding it hard to care about any of the cast and that made watching the investigation around Mary's death lack a little tension. It felt like a great deal of the show is just based on conversations between characters debating what the situation/story is rather than just seeing it playing out. It is just the downside of the angle of having several groups trying to work out what is happening and who knows what perhaps.

On the plus side to this, conversations that have the politics in the background and are as much about the characters trying to gauge each other directly can be more interesting, and this was certainly the case with the meeting between True and Lord Massen.

Some characters are more interesting than others, I still really like Mundi and Maladie, but was finding at episode 4 that True was starting to irritate me. She felt a little too forced as a character, awkward amongst everyone else and overly withdrawn. Her escape to a bar for a fight and the implied meaningless sex felt off against the Victorian setting. But at that point I just accepted it is a strange new world with the reality of The Touched, and whatever Bidlow has everyone digging up which clearly was going to be related.

The reveal that Lucy had betrayed them and her despair at her power had good elements to it. I like them including someone who had something which was such a negative development in their life from being 'touched', but it all felt somewhat sidestepped in impact with the resolution. I'll be surprised if the character doesn't come back at some point. It just didn't really feel finished.

I thought the reference about Mundi as 'the ape' back when he was boxing, a name which instantly made the tough guys back down, felt very sore thumb-y. It just left me feeling this was going to be something that is used again later and it was awkwardly shoved in as a character fact. It might have just been purely to show that other characters have hidden abilities too though.

The reveal about Mary's song having meaning and it being a cryptic message for True was intriguing. But I wondered if it was just going to be another element sat to one side quickly again. I was therefore pleased to see that it wasn't.

The fifth episode, Hanging, was definitely an improvement for me. Even if we did have to get through a HBO needlessly graphic sex scene at the start between True and the Dr. Although, I did find the fact they'd restarted their affair an interesting inclusion, I don't feel at the moment I know the characters well enough to really know what that indicates about their frames of mind. So it seemed just about flesh on screen for the sake of it, as HBO sometimes can go.

The political debates about whether Maladie's execution should be public and the resulting desire by Penance to try to rescue her I enjoyed. It worked along with the usual exploration of the different responses to The Touched, but with the event of the execution, it had more story to hang the conversations against for once. I actually liked the disagreement between Penance and True a lot. Not just because it is good to see they can approach things from different viewpoints within their own dynamic. But also, having been dropped in to the story with the Orphanage set up, seeing the questions about what is being done and who is getting to make the choices pressed, particularly after Lucy's betrayal last episode, worked for me.

The best element of the episode definitely was was the scene of the hanging and the reveal about Maladie I think. I enjoyed all the twists and although I was wondering if it was really Maladie (just because she kept looking down quite often, like she was trying to hide her face a bit), I didn't see the truth about the journalist Effie coming at all. I loved the visual impact of seeing the actress shed the disguise and 'become' Maladie again, that was great.

The mixed responses to trying to dig up the Galanthi, the believed connection between that and the powers creating varying motivations and Lavinia's wish for a 'cure' alongside the possibly fading control of The Touched who are excavating it, was all more interesting in this episode too. There were more character moments in this one I think and the heightened social tension that spilled out more into open mob mentality was good as well.

The final episode of this first half, True, just made the whole show more interesting. Finally, True became a character I was more fascinated by. I have to admit to loving Claudia Black (I'm a big Farscape fan), and I think her casting was excellent. Learning the background of True and how/why Molly decided to take her own life, which timed with the arrival of the Galanthi and Stripe from the dystopian future being brought back and 'placed' in Molly's body was all really great. It brought a lot more sense to True's character and how distant she is from the others from seeing the origin of her story.

Also, getting True's background with Maladie and seeing the care and affection that Maladie (Sarah) had shown her when they first met, followed by the betrayal as True sets Maladie up to be taken away for 'studying' was well done. That True also met Horatio at this point and was able to give him additional information about the arrival of the Galanthi gave more layers to their connection and dynamic as well which I liked.

The corruption of power in the responses to The Touched and the Galanthi, the wish to use and gain from these elements for personal benefit is in itself still interesting enough to keep me watching. But this episode certainly gave something I was really lacking before as True as an individual character became a whole heap more interesting to me and I'm looking forward to the second half of Season 1 when it comes.

Comment

Working...
                        X