No announcement yet.

Joss Whedon Exits 'The Nevers'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She is also in Outlander as Jenny Fraser Murray, the sister of Jamie Fraser.

I am going to watch it and I am excited. I'm going to get Sky Ticket just to be able to watch it here in Germany.

Anyone in for a group watch?

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      We could definitely try watching it as a group.

• flow
      flow commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to start a thread and see if others join us too!

• American Aurora
      American Aurora commented
      Editing a comment
      flow, I will be there with bells on for a group watch!

Maybe Charisma hid her pregnancy because she knew she would get grief for it and even pressure to abort. I kept putting pregnancy off for various reasons. Today i am 59, childless and my friends all have or are beginning to have grandchildren. I will die alone. The window is small. It goes fast. It is more important than career.

Comment

• BtVS fan
      BtVS fan commented
      Editing a comment
      She said she never hid it or kept it a secret. Tim Minear/David Fury and Steve Deknight all backed her on that.

This article has been written in regards to the new trailer about Whedon in general
    https://www.themarysue.com/the-never...ss-whedon-why/

Comment

Originally posted by BtVS fan View Post
      This article has been written in regards to the new trailer about Whedon in general
      The show looks rerun to me, but I half want it to be successful just to annoy people like this.

Comment

The problem with Whedon is that he has loads of hate coming from every front: alt-right men, often posed as Zack Snyder's fanboys having payback, for once, and then former worshipers because he's a hypocrite racist and misogynist. In the middle, we have a new group of haters arisen from what they say he did with Justice League: actual simple Zack Snyder's fanboys. I can imagine it has to be difficult to work under these circumstances. I assume Joss Whedon is virtually canceled and, at any rate, his "brand" is downgraded if not completely annihilated. I hope he can come with something more discrete than TV or cinema, maybe some independent comic-book or something. Because I still love almost everything he's done.

I can't quite understand this. So ok, the article's author thinks is time for her to move beyond Joss Whedon. Totally respectable. Only that it is not the first time that I read material from that web shredding the man. Anyway, what I can't understand is criticism about Whedon doing what he did all his life. What's Whedon suppose to do in the future so it's ok to you? Maybe white man-centered movies or shows? Then, he wouldn't be usurping feminism, right? For someone who has done so wrong to feminism cause, and for someone who has a so outdated vision of feminism, I cannot help but be surprised about how much attention he still receives among former worshipers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
          The problem with Whedon is that he has loads of hate coming from every front: alt-right men, often posed as Zack Snyder's fanboys having payback, for once, and then former worshipers because he's a hypocrite racist and misogynist. In the middle, we have a new group of haters arisen from what they say he did with Justice League: actual simple Zack Snyder's fanboys. I can imagine it has to be difficult to work under these circumstances. I assume Joss Whedon is virtually canceled and, at any rate, his "brand" is downgraded if not completely annihilated. I hope he can come with something more discrete than TV or cinema, maybe some independent comic-book or something. Because I still love almost everything he's done.

I can't quite understand this. So ok, the article's author thinks is time for her to move beyond Joss Whedon. Totally respectable. Only that it is not the first time that I read material from that web shredding the man. Anyway, what I can't understand is criticism about Whedon doing what he did all his life. What's Whedon suppose to do in the future so it's ok to you? Maybe white man-centered movies or shows? Then, he wouldn't be usurping feminism, right? For someone who has done so wrong to feminism cause, and for someone who has a so outdated vision of feminism, I cannot help but be surprised about how much attention he still receives among former worshipers.
          Interesting, Whedons always been a mixed bag for me, which is why I'll never qualify for the Full fanboy badge (leaving aside Buffy and Angel) Firefly I binged watched but was meh about. I didn't hate it and there were 1 or 2 good episodes but I didn't think it was amazing or anything, I actually preferred Serenity the Movie which I saw as good but not great.
          Dollhouse I did 2 episodes before I gave up, I found it creepy and not in the textual writing way.
          Avengers was again ok but to much CGI and lots of unexplained story/plot points. Thor deciding to try and kill Captain America for the sake of a quip. Banner controlng the Hulk for some reason that I felt I must have missed a scene from out of control in the Hulk previous scene. There's also quite a bit of filler that is noticeable on rewatch.
          I've not seen his Justice League so can't comment. Though I wasn't a fan of Snyders Superman or Batman v Superman movies either. So not watching it was more me disliking the Universe than anything.
          I did enjoy Wonderwoman but the climax of that film was the Over the Top WW1 scene. After that it was meh and the less said about the CGI fight the better.
          Iv not seen Much Ado either and no real desire to either.
          Dr Horrible Sing Along felt a lot like let's have the Trio Nerds do a musical. It was ok first time but I was bored on the rewatch.
          Cabin in the Woods was fun enough but again nothing I'd bother to rewatch.

Leaving aside your objection to the Feminism in the article, I think its a fair point that Whedon has had trouble moving on from 1999. What was fresh and new then is not fresh and new in 2021. Like the scene in the trailer where the woman bursts in and cracks her neck ready for a fight, that's pure Joss. For a trailer for Buffy in the 90's that's great. For a trailer in 2021 it's been done.

Anyway long winded but I'm done

Comment

Leaving aside your objection to the Feminism in the article, I think its a fair point that Whedon has had trouble moving on from 1999. What was fresh and new then is not fresh and new in 2021. Like the scene in the trailer where the woman bursts in and cracks her neck ready for a fight, that's pure Joss. For a trailer for Buffy in the 90's that's great. For a trailer in 2021 it's been done.

Anyway long winded but I'm done
            I can fairly say that Whedon was never a God to me. I never assumed he was just perfect, like some former worshipers did. Maybe that's why I'm not so obsessed with bashing him now that everybody knows he's human, and an apparent very flawed person. I'm not going to hide that, back in the moment, I was disappointed because of all the Kai Cole issue, but not to the point of wanting him canceled. I haven't watched or read everything he has done either, by the way. I was just meaning that, to date, I love almost everything with his name on.

Yes, it is very likely that Whedon is not "fresh" anymore. But it is also truth that we are drawing conclusions from a trailer, and the thing is completely disregarded as outdated false-feminist crap already. Besides, I have to say I don't have any problems with watching things that do not fit with the orthodoxy of feminism, and I don't mean to disregard "right, fresh feminism" by saying that. It is just I enjoy entertainment as it is, as long as it is not about blunt violence, racism or misogyny. I want to apologize for what I am about to say, but I even enjoy watching "misogynist" outdated TV series from the 90s, like Star Trek series, Buffy and things like that. Not that I don't also enjoy watching "fresh" series. But I l rather like Buffy than Sabrina. My bad. Sorry.
            Last edited by Sandman; 04-02-21, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• BtVS fan
              BtVS fan commented
              Editing a comment
              DS9 was never outdated. You don't need to apologise for not watching Sabrina. I've never watched it and never will either

Don't ever feel you have to apologise for watching classic shows such as the ones you've listed. Even though they were Childs of their time they stood the test of time and millions still enjoy watching them today. I suspect the fate of many TV series made nowadays won't stand the test of time so well.

Oh and imo Sabrina is total crap.

Comment

Nah, it was not a total sincere apology
              Do you guys know about some really "fresh" stuff -by 2020 standards- that is similar to Buffy in spirit? It is not a rhetorical question. I really want to find something similar to Buffy, but to date nothing compares to it. I really wished Buffy passed the torch on Sabrina or some other show, but for the time being, I am afraid that Buffy still keeps the torch. At least in my book. So I cannot move beyond Whedon, no matter how hard I try

@BtVS fan: I love Voyager too. Captain Janeway is so awesome!
              By the way, I was watching DS9 fourth season and I was surprised to see
              Spoiler:
              a kiss between two women, although it was not exactly a proper lesbian kiss, for strange plot reasons. But it certainly was a first. At least in terms of two apparent women kissing on screen
              Last edited by Sandman; 04-02-21, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                Nah, it was not a total sincere apology
                Do you guys know about some really "fresh" stuff -by 2020 standards- that is similar to Buffy in spirit? It is not a rhetorical question. I really want to find something similar to Buffy, but to date nothing compares to it. I really wished Buffy passed the torch on Sabrina or some other show, but for the time being, I am afraid that Buffy still keeps the torch. At least in my book. So I cannot move beyond Whedon, no matter how hard I try

@BtVS fan: I love Voyager too. Captain Janeway is so awesome!
                By the way, I was watching DS9 fourth season and I was surprised to see
                Spoiler:
                a kiss between two women, although it was not exactly a proper lesbian kiss, for strange plot reasons. But it certainly was a first. At least in terms of two apparent women kissing on screen
                Have you tried Killing Eve ?
                Life on Mars
                Battlestar Galatica
                Or Detschuland 83

Comment

Have you tried Killing Eve ?
                  Life on Mars
                  Battlestar Galatica
                  Or Detschuland 83
                  Nope. Just started to watch Battlestar Galactica and it was really awesome (The Movies before S1 and the three first episodes). But, at the time, I had more and more shows piling up and I dropped BG, because I was so invested in Star Trek: The Next Generation then, that I wanted to try something not space-themed for a change. I note the references, thanks a lot. I think I urgently need something buffyesque.

Comment

• BtVS fan
                    BtVS fan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In that case Killing Eve is the most Buffy esq

It doesn't even ring a bell. Thanks!
                  I think this would make for a new thread? Like «if you like Buffy yo have to watch...»

Or wait... maybe what I just need is to watch The Nevers!
                  Last edited by Sandman; 04-02-21, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Sandman
                    Sandman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by flow
                    I want to put up a thread for a group watch of The Nevers - it would be fab if you'd join in!
                    It will be my pleasure. I'm in! Thanks

• BtVS fan
                    BtVS fan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Its on YouTube
                    https://youtu.be/8IkNcyhkVU0

• Sandman
                    Sandman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It says "video unavailable", but thanks anyway. I will check some streaming platforms and see if it's there.

I think flow’s idea of a group watch of the show is a great idea.

The trailer doesn’t mean a thing - they’re edited to pull in maximum audience numbers and have little to do with the actual project.

I don’t care if Whedon is a purple people eater - what makes someone feminist to me is if they hire a lot of women in important positions instead of paying lip service to women’s rights and then keeping an all male team. Despite the current disparagement of Whedon, he’s hired a LOT of women as executive producers and head writers for Buffy and this show. Despite the fact that his staff could have been a lot more diverse on Buffy (a major fault line that explains Buffy’s ridiculously almost all-white high school in Southern California), having a majority female writing and executive staff (with a new female showrunner on The Nevers) is still quite rare enough in the industry that it’s unfair to ramble on about how “unfeminist’ the show will be. It’s absurd, really.

Regarding the merits of the show, it feels like Victorian steampunk X-men meets Buffy mashup with a bit of Golden Compass anti-organized religion sentiment on the side. Just my kind of thing.
                  Last edited by American Aurora; 04-02-21, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• Tiny Tabby
                    Tiny Tabby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would love to do a group watch!
                Working...
                X