Hitchcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitchcock

Any Hitchcock fans here? As with Buffy, I often do rewatches of my favourite Hitchcock films, and was wondering if anyone else would like to join me in a rewatch (or watch for the first time) one or two titles by the Master of Suspense? It was National Hitchcock Day on March 12th and I was dipping into some essays by Robin Wood and it struck me I hadn't watched Hitchcock in quite a while.

I'm planning on rewatching Psycho (1960) and The Birds (1963), but I can adapt if you want to choose another title. I know things are a bit busy with the restructuring on the site, and I know there's already a group watch of Wentworth, but I'd be really excited to revisit one or two films sometime!

Extra great if you haven't seen them, or haven't seen them in a while. It could be either film or both. I was thinking spaced out...cos I know people are busy. Maybe one movie a week, or one movie a month?

The running time for Psycho is 1 hr 49 mins. For The Birds the running is 2 hrs.

If you're a Hitchcock fan too, do you have any favourites?

I endlessly love Vertigo, but I'm also crazy about Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds and Marnie. They've held up on each rewatch as endlessly fascinating and discussable.

I also love North by Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Shadow of a Doubt, The Paradine Case, Suspicion, The Lady Vanishes, Strangers on a Train, Rebecca, Dial M for Murder, To Catch A Thief, Notorious, Spellbound.

We're currently on S7 of Buffy, and it struck me there's so much that feels Hitchcockian in tone (the preoccupations, some of the themes.) I think my love for S6 and S7 was probably shaped in advance by my Hitchcock obsession before I discovered BtVS. I'd be psyched if we ever had a group watch together of a few of his films (when the right time opens up, of course!)

P.S. Hope this the right space to post this in

I really like this idea and I think group watches of films would be a lot of fun. I actually have 'Hitchcock films' as a possible gift idea on my wish lists because the only two I know I've see (I think I might have seen Dial M for Murder but I'm not sure) are Psycho and The Birds. But both a looooong time ago so I'd love to rewatch and discuss them.

I think picking a weekend in a month to watch and then discuss the following week might work?? I'm open to other ideas.

Comment

I have never seen any Hitchcock films but, I have always been intrigued by watching The Birds.

So this sounds fun! I'm willing to join in.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
        SpuffyGlitz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yay! I'm so happy you're joining Brendan, I'll be super interested in hearing your thoughts on The Birds!

Not sure how this is happening. Are we watching it together and chatting about it as we watch or watching whenever and arranging to talk about it on another specific date? Sorry I know I'm being really thick

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Not sure how this is happening. Are we watching it together and chatting about it as we watch or watching whenever and arranging to talk about it on another specific date? Sorry I know I'm being really thick
        Priceless , not at all! I thought it's easier if we watch it on our own time, then discuss it later? Kind of like we do with fanfic discussions. I like Stoney 's suggestion:

I think picking a weekend in a month to watch and then discuss the following week might work?? I'm open to other ideas.
        Maybe it could be any weekend this month or a specific weekend if that works better for people (I can set a rough date). I'll open a new thread for discussing The Birds —and it can remain an open thread if anyone wants to post on it later.

ETA: Would the weekend of the 17th of this month, or the weekend of the 24th, work?
        Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 06-04-21, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• Priceless
          Priceless commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you SpuffyGlitz, I am so slow sometimes

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          I could do either, but the 24th would be easier for me if it makes no difference to anyone else. But yes, either.

I recently ended a Hitchcock rewatch of 16 of his films.

My Top 5 isn't very original tho:

1. Psycho
        2. Vertigo
        3. Rear Window
        4. Dial M for Murder
        5. North by Northwest / Rebecca

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
          SpuffyGlitz commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great top 5! All faves. Mine is almost the same, except I'd include Marnie (maybe over Rebecca)

Yes, SpuffyGlitz I have always been intrigued with The Birds. I always got inspired by the movie posters.

But never actually seen the movie.

I did an entry for an art challenge {here} it was back in 2017, so it might be nice to get inspired again.

And I can't wait to discuss it with you. I'm not the best writer, but this sounds like fun.

Comment

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          Loved looking at that art challenge again, great pieces Brendan .

• Brendan
          Brendan commented
          Editing a comment
          Stoney Thank you!

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
        Yes, SpuffyGlitz I have always been intrigued with The Birds. I always got inspired by the movie posters.

But never actually seen the movie.

I did an entry for an art challenge {here} it was back in 2017, so it might be nice to get inspired again.

And I can't wait to discuss it with you. I'm not the best writer, but this sounds like fun.
        Brendan I just looked at those and I was absolutely blown away Your posters look even more iconic than the original The Birds posters! I don't think I've ever seen concept art on the internet which marries Hitchcock's universe with the Buffyverse like that.

Is it okay if I use one of them and credit you for it in the new thread for discussion (I'll open one soon)?

I loved what you wrote about seeing a thematic connection between Buffy's S6 journey and Hitchcock's The Birds—the concept of the crows, how menacing they seem, but also adding in the dove to remind us of the light too. I can't *wait* to discuss the film with you! I think it's right up your street and there are tons of fascinating screenshots in the movie.

PS. I'm keeping it for the weekend of the 24th, but if anyone would like me to change that date, do let me know.

Comment

Thank you so much SpuffyGlitz for your comment about my work.

I absolutely enjoyed creating those, and IMO I consider those my best graphics work based on Buffy.

Of course, you can use any of them, for your opening thread for The Birds, and I appreciate your thoughts on my writing for the connections with Buffy season 6, with the style of the movie posters.
          Yesterday I watched the trailer of The Birds, and it looks really haunting.

And the 24th sounds great for me!

Comment

Working...
          X