No announcement yet.

Film Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse this weekend and it was delightful. The story had plenty of the classic heroic beats as the main character gets their powers and learns to deal with it, self doubt and their relationships. The different 'Spiders' that come bring a variety of interesting elements and character traits as well as such clever visual ties to their varying times/dimensions that they manage to flow together superbly. The energy in the art and repeated use of comic book styling is amazing. It is crazy at times, mostly effectively so (although it dragged a little in the main fight scene for me a little), and helped to create a really engaging and distinctive feel. I loved the varying Peters that were drawn in and thought the noir depiction was incredible (kudos to Nicholas Cage). As is the norm, there were darker elements in the story that add to the characters' arcs that were done really well and neither the predictability of them or the seriousness they were bringing was disrupted by the inclusion of a self awareness and what gave a 'good back story'. So, yeah, very enjoyable and very clever.

Comment

• I enjoyed Into the Spider-Verse too, even though as I mentioned on another thread, I think superheroes are over-doing the multiple earth thing at the moment, especially for a street level hero like Spidey.

But I think the Miles Morales version of Spider-Man is a strong addition to the Spider-Man canon. (When the X-Men film came out, the comics were seen as a bit too dense for new readers. So, they created a new alternate universe to start the stories fresh, for anyone coming from the films. Kind of like the Buffy reboot from Boom! comics. But after several years when this new universe was no longer so new, Marvel turned into the universe where you could play with the story, such as killing Peter Parker and introducing a new half-Black, half-Latino Spider-Man.) It became a bit harder once they folded Miles into the regular comic universe, so he's no longer someone taking up the mantle of Spider-Man and now just a second Spider-Man alongside a living Peter.

The film itself was funny and charming though. Better than most such films.

Comment

• I've just finished watching Jumanji: The Next Level (having watched the first of the reboot Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle about a month ago) and I loved it. These are just great action/comedy films and I throughly enjoyed both of them. The way the actors adopt the mannerisms of the other characters/actors is such good fun. There are good character strengths, positive messages, some nice emotional beats and laugh out loud moments too. It's such a great mix and some really solid performances. If you want entertaining for a few hours you can't go far wrong with these. Great fun.

Comment

• Yesterday (2019) - Just a lovely feel good British movie, with the music of The Beatles central to the plot. I was a sweet rom-com, though it was Robert Carlyle's appearance as John Lennon that really sold this film to me, and made me cry.

Comment

• TriBel
            TriBel commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you seen "Across the Universe"?

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            No I haven't. Is it good?

• TriBel
            TriBel commented
            Editing a comment
            Priceless - Sorry - only just seen this. Mixed reviews - I enjoyed it (as did Roger Ebert). IIRC, it's more of a musical.

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          Yesterday (2019) - Just a lovely feel good British movie, with the music of The Beatles central to the plot. I was a sweet rom-com, though it was Robert Carlyle's appearance as John Lennon that really sold this film to me, and made me cry.
          We watched the movie yesterday (no pun intended!) and it was such a lovely, sweet film. We both loved it and my husband asked me to thank you for the recommendation!

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            So glad you enjoyed it

• My first movie theater viewing since 2019 was Black Widow. I really enjoyed it and feel it really gave me insight to the character. Loved every moment and every kernel of popcorn.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• HowiMetdaSlayer
            HowiMetdaSlayer commented
            Editing a comment
            was also my 1st movie since covid

• I liked it, but didn't 'love it' Probably because I found BW herself to be the least interesting character out of all of them. Also It didn't help It's taken them this long to get this film out there, so to me it feels a wee bit redundant. I found her 'father' and 'sister' to be far more entertaining/interesting. As many others have speculated this film is obviously there to act mainly as a stepping stone for the new Black Widow, her sister.

Comment

• GoSpuffy
            GoSpuffy commented
            Editing a comment
            I really enjoyed the humour that her father and sister brought to the film.

• Yeah, I did too. Unfortunately for me it just flagged up how dull BW was in comparison.

Comment

• Free Guy - I had no clue what this film was about, so it took me a few minutes to catch up with what was going on. I also know nothing about gaming, and I think that might have helped with enjoying this film to its fullest. Still a fun movie, a few good laughs 6/10

Comment

• 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) Edge of your seat psychological horror. Great performances, especially from John Goodman 9/10

Comment

• TriBel
                TriBel commented
                Editing a comment
                Can't go wrong with Goodman!

• A few months ago I watched "Goodbye, Lenin" both a very funny and very sad movie - described as a "tragicomedy" in one review and as a black comedy in another. I highly recommend this movie if you haven't seen it. All kinds of awards in 2004 as the Best European Movie and Best German Movie...rates 90 on Rotten Tomatoes. I think it's available on Amazon in the U.S. and more widely available in European markets. This one will make you laugh out loud and cry a few minutes later. It's really a story about moving into the adult world from one's teenage years set in the tumultuous year of the unification of Germany and the removal of the Berlin Wall.

Comment

• A few months ago I watched "Goodbye, Lenin" both a very funny and very sad movie - described as a "tragicomedy" in one review and as a black comedy in another. I highly recommend this movie if you haven't seen it.
                I second that recommendation. I've seen it more times than I care to recall. I taught it for several years on a university module called "The City" and remember comparing it to Manhattan and Y Tu Mama Tambien (both highly recommended but don't watch the latter with your kids/parents - it's likely you'll both be embarrassed). It's a great film...very, very clever (not really a spoiler - just boring)
                Spoiler:
                (it's a film about the making of film; about capitalism and consumption; the manufacturing of belief, and it's a love letter to Berlin and its people).
                It's also very funny and packs an emotional punch. I think it's one of Daniel Brühl's best performances.

sigpic

Comment

• We watched Everybody's Talking About Jamie last night. The songs were okay, some of the lyrics were good and I'd probably enjoy them more on a re-listen when I'd pick up more. But I did find the music somewhat blended altogether and the direction at points was really distractingly cheesy (gazing into the sunlight while talking about enlightening moments for example). But the performance by Max Harwood as Jamie was good for a newcomer and he bounced off Sarah Lancashire and Shobna Gulati well. You really felt for him in his scenes with his father too. It was the dynamics between Jamie and his parents and the exploration of his situation with the very different responses from his parents which was a real highlight for me.

The behaviour by his peers and the authority figures in the school were also interestingly included and I loved the transitions of the wider cast to the chorus for some of the songs. The visual repetitions between the dress we saw him trying as a child to the one he goes to the prom in I found gave a huge emotional punch to the end alongside him talking about getting to be himself. An inspiring story I definitely enjoyed with some really strong elements. Even if some other parts stopped it being a great musical and as fabulous as Mimi Me. Oh, and I really loved that the film ended with clips of, I assume, the real Jamie and his mum. It really added to the feels of having been given an insight into the story of this real 16 year old and what he experienced and achieved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                    We watched Everybody's Talking About Jamie last night. The songs were okay, some of the lyrics were good and I'd probably enjoy them more on a re-listen when I'd pick up more. But I did find the music somewhat blended altogether and the direction at points was really distractingly cheesy (gazing into the sunlight while talking about enlightening moments for example). But the performance by Max Harwood as Jamie was good for a newcomer and he bounced off Sarah Lancashire and Shobna Gulati well. You really felt for him in his scenes with his father too. It was the dynamics between Jamie and his parents and the exploration of his situation with the very different responses from his parents which was a real highlight for me.

The behaviour by his peers and the authority figures in the school were also interestingly included and I loved the transitions of the wider cast to the chorus for some of the songs. The visual repetitions between the dress we saw him trying as a child to the one he goes to the prom in I found gave a huge emotional punch to the end alongside him talking about getting to be himself. An inspiring story I definitely enjoyed with some really strong elements. Even if some other parts stopped it being a great musical and as fabulous as Mimi Me. Oh, and I really loved that the film ended with clips of, I assume, the real Jamie and his mum. It really added to the feels of having been given an insight into the story of this real 16 year old and what he experienced and achieved.
                    Yes, the intention was good, but the songs were rather pedestrian and all blended into one another. A really great score would have bumped up the film for sure. Still, it's a nice feel good piece.

Comment

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Definitely. The music was a clear weakness which was a shame.

• Yay...I've just watched Free Guy. Haven't the foggiest idea what was going on because I haven't played a computer game since Rainbow Island on CD. Deadpool* was good in it though! I laughed a couple of times.

*Actually - I preferred Deadpool - and I've just discovered Ryan Reynolds turned down the Xander Harris role.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
                      Priceless commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agree about Free Guy, would have been much better if I'd ever played a video game, but still some laughs were had.

• Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                    *Actually - I preferred Deadpool - and I've just discovered Ryan Reynolds turned down the Xander Harris role.
                    I can't imagine that. Although, it's hard to know what he looked like twenty years ago he's quite 'American jock' in a way I can't imagine fitting Xander. Having said that, NB was far from weedy or average looking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post

I can't imagine that. Although, it's hard to know what he looked like twenty years ago he's quite 'American jock' in a way I can't imagine fitting Xander. Having said that, NB was far from weedy or average looking.
                      He had a "curtains" haircut. I'd never heard it before (eldest son said he knew so I presumed it was common knowledge) but I'm not interested in the cast as people* so there's no reason I would. I dunno about Reynolds being "Jock". Free Guy wasn't as good as I'd heard it was - it's The Truman Show with video games - but he makes a very passable nerd** (for me, he's too passable and they do play on the "jock" idea - it's actually the funniest part). Having said that, I can't imagine him in the Xander role either - but I can't re-imagine shows in any way so I thought it was just me.

*That's not specific to BtVS - it's my analytical position on everything. I'm not interested in cast or writers - I'm full-blown Death of the Author. It's probably why I like the metafictional, self-aware Deadpool (plus it's funny).

**No - he's not a nerd...just very, very nice. The whole show is full of computer people. What would have been called "nerd" 20-30 years ago is now the norm. Perhaps Free Guy has more depths than I thought.
                      sigpic

Comment

• TimeTravellingBunny
                        TimeTravellingBunny commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Were computer people necessarily seen as nerds? Somehow I don't see 1970s-1980s Steve Jobs as the nerd type...

• Venom (2018) - Everyone seemed to be taking this seriously, but Hardy was pure comedy. A good laugh. 7/10

Comment

• TriBel
                        TriBel commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Stopped reading at Hardy. Get a room...
                    Working...
                    X