No announcement yet.

Film Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse this weekend and it was delightful. The story had plenty of the classic heroic beats as the main character gets their powers and learns to deal with it, self doubt and their relationships. The different 'Spiders' that come bring a variety of interesting elements and character traits as well as such clever visual ties to their varying times/dimensions that they manage to flow together superbly. The energy in the art and repeated use of comic book styling is amazing. It is crazy at times, mostly effectively so (although it dragged a little in the main fight scene for me a little), and helped to create a really engaging and distinctive feel. I loved the varying Peters that were drawn in and thought the noir depiction was incredible (kudos to Nicholas Cage). As is the norm, there were darker elements in the story that add to the characters' arcs that were done really well and neither the predictability of them or the seriousness they were bringing was disrupted by the inclusion of a self awareness and what gave a 'good back story'. So, yeah, very enjoyable and very clever.

Comment

• I enjoyed Into the Spider-Verse too, even though as I mentioned on another thread, I think superheroes are over-doing the multiple earth thing at the moment, especially for a street level hero like Spidey.

But I think the Miles Morales version of Spider-Man is a strong addition to the Spider-Man canon. (When the X-Men film came out, the comics were seen as a bit too dense for new readers. So, they created a new alternate universe to start the stories fresh, for anyone coming from the films. Kind of like the Buffy reboot from Boom! comics. But after several years when this new universe was no longer so new, Marvel turned into the universe where you could play with the story, such as killing Peter Parker and introducing a new half-Black, half-Latino Spider-Man.) It became a bit harder once they folded Miles into the regular comic universe, so he's no longer someone taking up the mantle of Spider-Man and now just a second Spider-Man alongside a living Peter.

The film itself was funny and charming though. Better than most such films.

Comment

• I've just finished watching Jumanji: The Next Level (having watched the first of the reboot Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle about a month ago) and I loved it. These are just great action/comedy films and I throughly enjoyed both of them. The way the actors adopt the mannerisms of the other characters/actors is such good fun. There are good character strengths, positive messages, some nice emotional beats and laugh out loud moments too. It's such a great mix and some really solid performances. If you want entertaining for a few hours you can't go far wrong with these. Great fun.

Comment

• Yesterday (2019) - Just a lovely feel good British movie, with the music of The Beatles central to the plot. I was a sweet rom-com, though it was Robert Carlyle's appearance as John Lennon that really sold this film to me, and made me cry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Yesterday (2019) - Just a lovely feel good British movie, with the music of The Beatles central to the plot. I was a sweet rom-com, though it was Robert Carlyle's appearance as John Lennon that really sold this film to me, and made me cry.
            We watched the movie yesterday (no pun intended!) and it was such a lovely, sweet film. We both loved it and my husband asked me to thank you for the recommendation!

flow

Comment

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              So glad you enjoyed it

• My first movie theater viewing since 2019 was Black Widow. I really enjoyed it and feel it really gave me insight to the character. Loved every moment and every kernel of popcorn.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• I liked it, but didn't 'love it' Probably because I found BW herself to be the least interesting character out of all of them. Also It didn't help It's taken them this long to get this film out there, so to me it feels a wee bit redundant. I found her 'father' and 'sister' to be far more entertaining/interesting. As many others have speculated this film is obviously there to act mainly as a stepping stone for the new Black Widow, her sister.

Comment

Working...
              X