Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Game of Thrones Moments -- Season 1 Edition (full S1 spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care how bad a person it makes me. I'm more than happy for Joffrey to die multiple times and in multiple ways...ditto Ramsey Bolton.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't remember anything about Ramsey Bolton . . . is he the one who wants to marry Sansa against her will?? I watched all of S1 at the time, and some of Season 2, then odd episodes of the rest

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I don't remember anything about Ramsey Bolton . . . is he the one who wants to marry Sansa against her will?? I watched all of S1 at the time, and some of Season 2, then odd episodes of the rest
        Yes - don't use all your hate up on Joffrey. Reserve some for Ramsey. And ignore anyone who says you're unreasonable.
        sigpic

Comment

Hating him isn't unreasonable.

Comment

Here - to compensate for all the hate that's going round - Hodor!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...nes-characters
            sigpic

Comment

I'm starting a game of thrones rewatch. I probably won't be that quick about it. Anyone want to join me? I'm starting with s1 E1 tonight. Does anyone else equate houses with countries? The starks at winterfell are the Canadians And the Lannisters and Targaryens are the Americans at war. I imagine if you're in Europe winterfell is Norway or Russia?

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
                StateOfSiege97 commented
                Editing a comment
                i do get your drift, but do remember....
                not all americans are imperialists-
                even those most presidents, from either
                party, have been....

Watching the start im reminded how when I first watched i was turned off by the "male gaze" that this was filmed with. Later the strong female characterizations make up for a lot but in the beginning women are not portrayed well.

Comment

Oh, I wish I had time to rewatch this with you GoSpuffy but sadly I just don't think I'd get to it with any regularity or speed. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts and talk about it as you go along though if you find the time to post.

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                Watching the start im reminded how when I first watched i was turned off by the "male gaze" that this was filmed with. Later the strong female characterizations make up for a lot but in the beginning women are not portrayed well.
                The excessive nudity does get tiresome. I only read the first of the books, always did/do intend to read the rest and I think there is definitely something to gain from seeing it as a different cultural setting. I think it is more pronounced in the book because of the ages of some of the characters and that was somewhat lost (understandably) with the casting for the show.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                  Later? The characterization of women, and pretty much everyone, goes completely off the rails in later seasons.

They ended up being nothing like the book characters (and in a few cases, nothing like they used to be in early seasons either), who are much more complex and better written and not sexist stereotypes, unlike the show characters. Pretty much every change from book to show has been in the vein of making the characters shallower and turning them closer to stereotypes (sexist stereotypes for the female characters and some of the male ones, or homophobic stereotypes, in Loras' case) or sidelining female characters or their POV - e.g. they completely sidelined Catelyn in favor of Robb in the show, ignored Sansa's perspective most of the time - when they weren't terribly mishandling her character and turning her into the opposite of what she is - which was particularly jarring during the forced marriage to Tyrion storyline, where the show made her a supporting character in a story about how awesome Tyrion was, or the way they made Dany's and Jorah's relationship all about Jorah being a Nice Guy and tried to make the viewers root for him, instead of presenting it from Dany's POV as in the books. And then there's just how they misrepresented and turned Melisandre, Arya or Brienne into stereotypes as "evil seductress" or "tough Not-Like-Other-Girls action woman" respectively, and made the latter express contempt for other women, which is the opposite of what they are like in the books.
                  You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                    GoSpuffy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like you recommend reading over watching but I'm too lazy....

StateOfSiege97 mostly its weather and geography making me associate countries with houses lol but I can't deny the fact our neighbours to the south are known to, as Spike would say, be drama queens. No offense meant from your boring neighbour to the north.

Comment

Working...
                  X