Nordic Noir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nordic Noir

I'm thinking Nordic Noir has passed the height of it's popularity in the UK, but I'm currently watching Hunt For A Killer on BBC4. It's a Swedish true crime police procedural about a 15 year hunt for the murderer of a young girl. It's absolutely gripping stuff. Is anyone else watching? Are you a fan of Nordic Noir (Scandi Noir)?

Yes...watching (or at least started to watch) and yes...I like Scandi/Nordic Noir. I got into it through the Wallander novels. Have you seen Jar City (which I think is Icelandic), Trapped (which is Icelandic) and the original Insomnia?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
      Yes...watching (or at least started to watch) and yes...I like Scandi/Nordic Noir. I got into it through the Wallander novels. Have you seen Jar City (which I think is Icelandic), Trapped (which is Icelandic) and the original Insomnia?
      I think I saw a few episodes of Trapped but it didn't grab me. I have seen all the Wallander series and Beck too. I really enjoyed The Killing and The Bridge, though the lead female detective was a bit too 'mannered' for me.

Comment

I've only watched a couple. I saw The Bridge and another show that the title of absolutely refuses to come to mind at the moment. I've enjoyed them and would probably watch more so I might try to purposely try out another one or two. Which do you think have been the best you've seen?

Comment

You're listing crime dramas, but how about SciFi/supernatural Nordic noir?

Has anyone seen the Icelandic Netflix mystery drama Katla? One of my favorite new shows this year.

(On the other hand, avoid Equinox - Danish supernatural mystery limited series on Netflix. Avoid it all costs. It is the kind of show that looks like it will be good but has an absolutely awful ending that makes you wonder WTF the creators were even thinking.)
        You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
          I've only watched a couple. I saw The Bridge and another show that the title of absolutely refuses to come to mind at the moment. I've enjoyed them and would probably watch more so I might try to purposely try out another one or two. Which do you think have been the best you've seen?
          I'd recommend Hunt For A Killer that's on right now. It's very down to earth, but terrifying when you know it's based on a true story and there are so many dangerous men in such a small area. It makes you wonder who's living around you.

"Mannered"?
          Her neurodivergence showed itself in such unusual ways. I've never met a neurodivergent woman who behaved in such a way. The way her disorder manifested felt very male-gazey to me and quite eye rolling. I don't think she'd ever get a job in the UK police force.

Saying that, I watched three seasons and enjoyed them and I know the character was amazingly popular.

Comment

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll definitely have a look at them. I really like real life crimes, so Hunt for a Killer sounds like a good bet. I'll look into Katla as well. We're finally getting Netflix this week too so the list of things I don't have time to watch is just going to expand!

I remembered the name of the other show I have seen that I think would count, Jordskott. I really enjoyed parts of it, most of the first season, but found elements of where they took it in the second frustrating.

Comment

Priceless
              Her neurodivergence showed itself in such unusual ways. I've never met a neurodivergent woman who behaved in such a way. The way her disorder manifested felt very male-gazey to me and quite eye rolling. I don't think she'd ever get a job in the UK police force.
              Doesn't she have Autism/Asperger's (or at least she's on the spectrum - I can't keep up with it)? I think they've probably pushed aspects of it to the nth degree but I can kinda see where they're coming from. I wonder to what extent it replaces the traditional "detective code" that the original hard-boiled detectives such as Marlowe and Spade adopt to protect themselves? I agree it feels "mannered" (in inverted commas) but I can identify with some of it. I'd be shit in the Police...I'd last a week before they showed me the door. ​​​​​​​

Stoney
              another show that the title of absolutely refuses to come to mind at the moment.
              The Killing? That's usually the one cited alongside The Bridge (and responsible for the fashion trend of "Sarah Lund Sweaters"...which she never takes off - in opposition to Saga who can't keep a T-shirt on). Apparently (according to Google), she's also borderline Autism/Asperger's. Is that a thing now? And I wrote this before I saw your comment about Jordskott.
              sigpic

Comment

I've heard of The Killing but haven't seen it. That and Wallander were the ones my relatives suggested might be worth watching. I'm going to have to look at the summaries of a few and just pick one. There's too much to watch. I really do need to fully give up on sleeping, it's just wasted time.

Comment

Doesn't she have Autism/Asperger's (or at least she's on the spectrum - I can't keep up with it)? I think they've probably pushed aspects of it to the nth degree but I can kinda see where they're coming from. I wonder to what extent it replaces the traditional "detective code" that the original hard-boiled detectives such as Marlowe and Spade adopt to protect themselves? I agree it feels "mannered" (in inverted commas) but I can identify with some of it. I'd be shit in the Police...I'd last a week before they showed me the door.
                  I know it's a tv show and I'm taking it far too seriously, but policing seems to be about a lot more than following rules. I really think you need an ability to read people, to understand motives that may not be surface and to have a grasp of social issues and how they affect people. I've heard coppers say that nowadays you need to be part social worker when dealing with crime and criminals.

I know they're talking about low level crimes, not the murders and serial cases these tv detectives work on, but I still wonder how someone who has no social skills and cannot read social cues well would cope in the real world of policing.

I also hated the sex aspect. Why does she go out and have one night stands? Just so we can see her in her underwear or having sex? As someone who prefers her own company and that being a major part of her personality I think it's ridiculous she wouldn't just buy a vibrator, rather then go out and offer strangers sex. Plus she's a police officer. It seemed silly to me, but maybe police officers with Asperger's do that all the time, who knows.

Comment

Working...
                  X