Mad Men season 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Men season 5

A bit more than 1 week and Don Draper is back on our Sundays. Like usual there are no spoilers or new material to talk about... so we'll have to do it with new Bobby! (Bobby II is now on Once Upon A Time, so they hired the kid from Desperate Housewives. Hail Bobby III!)

Anyway for everybody who forgot to check the little Mad Men news we got, season 5 will premiere with a 2 hour episode. So make a note in your agenda and make sure you'll be there when TV's number 1 drama returns after 1,5 years.
    Last edited by Nina; 15-03-12, 06:20 PM.

I caught up on Mad Men last summer and am so totally ready for new eps! I am very excited we are getting a two hour premiere. Entertainment Weekly magazine had a large article last week about Mad Men but I was too afraid to read since their articles usually have spoilers. I thought I would point you in that direction if you were still looking for spoilers.

I'm very interested in seeing how Don's marrying his secretary upsets the balance at the office. I loved that Peggy and Joan had a shared moment in reacting to the news. I actually don't remember too much of what was happening when the show left off and may need to brush up before Sunday.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

So were this two episodes or just one long premiere? Anyway I'm glad it's back and I enjoyed it's return.

Don & Megan:
      I contrast to most Mad Men fans I have no real problems with Megan and I'm curious where this marriage goes. There are some obvious problems like the age gap (I loved Roger reminding Don what he said to Roger when Roger married his younger wife.), the tension in the office and Sally is no longer happy with Megan at least that's the way it seems. But Megan seems to make Don happy or at least statisfy him in a way Betty couldn't and I've the feeling that she is statisfied with the nice place to live and the status.
      I felt bad for her at the party, it was both endearing and uncomfortable to watch.

And they both seem to enjoy kinky stuff...

Peggy:
      Well she is obviously annoyed with Don, and I don't really blame her. I'm glad she is still with her journalist boyfriend, he is awesome. And ackward Pete & Peggy scene with baby was ackward.

Pete & Trudy:
      I felt so bad for him when his dinner was nothing but cereal right out of the box after a very long day working. Trudy seems to let it all go a bit, she looks like she barely leaves the house on a normal day (although there was a mention of her bringing Pete to the train... in her robe.) and I'm not sure if she notices how her dream is hardly Pete's dream. The moment at the party where Trudy complains about the loud noise of the traffic while Pete obviously misses the city and their fancy lifestyle.

I love Pete vs. Roger, I don't care Pete was being childish... I'm on his side. I'm on his side anyway... drinking at 11 o'clock, no smoking, no hitting on the wife of his boss and no racism. People should listen more often to the poor guy.

And the rifle in the box... I love that this thing is still around.

Roger:
      Great one-liners but I still think he will drop dead before the end of the show.... he is so useless. I love him and Jane, they totally deserve eachother. Him paying Harry (who lost quite a few pounds and he deserves Pete's old office.) to give Pete his office. And him going to Coca Cola at 6 AM was funny.

Joan:
      I liked her scene with Lane (their relation is so cute.) and I feel so bad for her, she must be so tired and bored. And all those hormones...

Lane:
      His wife was rather comfortable at the party, that suprised me. He was a bit creepy (but also sad) with the wallet and everything. But like I said he was realy sweet with Joan.

I guess the theme was home not being everything. And the black community finally reached the office... good! (I also enjoyed the gay black guy at the party, Megan is obviously more openminded than her husband.)
      Last edited by Nina; 28-03-12, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Episode 5.03:

Whoa that was a very weird and dark episode! :eek: I knew Don killing that girl (M?dchen Amick! ) was a dream but it still freaked me out, very disturbing dream! But hey, as long as Don only cheats on Megan in his dreams, I guess that's good.

Yay for Joan getting rid of Dr. Rapist! I have been waiting for this for a long time, she should never ever have married him. I really did not expect that she would make such a drastic decision in this week's ep so I was positively surprised. Her baby is not Greg's anyway, maybe that played a role in Joan's decision? I wonder whether she will tell Roger the truth about the baby now and how she will manage her life as a single mom? In the 60s that must have been much tougher than it is today. Hopefully, her mother will help her out, like she offered to.

Also Peggy FTW! Loved how she blackmailed Roger into giving her more money for the last minute job and that she gave Dawn the black secretary a place to stay for the night. I did not appreciate her prejudices about black people and stealing but I did like that she overcame them and decided to trust Dawn. Also, Roger is seriously losing it at the firm! How long can he go on bribing people for doing work he's responsible for? Stop sleeping in your office, Roger, and work for a change or Pete is gonna box you out sooner or later.

Holy crap @ Grandma Francis giving Sally Seconal! I know people used drugs differently in the 60s but still that kinda shocked me. Let's hope she doesn't turn Sally into a drug addict. Also, Grandma Francis telling Sally how her father used to beat her up was really disturbing. Lots of male violence in this episode!

Comment

I was confused on what was a dream for Don. I didn't really think all of it was a dream. In particular, the part when she shows up at the front door and talks like they have had a recent tryst. When she showed up in the bedroom I first thought it a dream because it was getting late and Megan should have been home. Although the second part had me questioning if that happened or was a dream until he attacks her and expertly hides her under the bed. So shocking. I think ultimately, Don is cheating on Megan in the marriage even if he didn't this episode.

Drunk Peggy was really creepy. However I don't know if she was showing prejudice towards her. She had a large sum of money and I wouldn't be comfortable leaving that out even with a friend much less an acquaintance. Money is so easy to steal it shouldnt be left out. I'm surprised Roger tried to bribe her with only $10 and she ultimately got 40 times that. Or wait, he offered the $400 and she asked for all he had? Anyway, she had a lot of money just sitting out and that made would make me uncomfortable even if I was alone.

I also thought we were seeing how serious Roger takes the job, while maintaining a crafted image that he takes it easy and doesn't care. Did Roger ever do campaigns? They hired that one guy to do the job and he wasn't available. I liked that Roger paid out of his own pocket to get Peggy to do a good job on time. Rather than let Pete make a fool of him by throwing a last minute project at closing time to Roger in expectation that it wouldnt get done. I expect Pete timed his information to undermine Roger's capability. And sitting in the dark the last minutes of the day isn't that damning. Although I agree, it always appears Roger does nothing.

But yes, Joanie dumping her husband was such a highlight! He had no respect for her because he couldn't respect himself. He would have been a career military simply for the structured ranking that his medical training allows him to enter as an officer. There would always be new recruits and nurses below him even if he could only advance minimally. So pathetic of him to require that over earning respect of his family by being a good person. No offense to the military, just this one guy's inability to function in the civilian world.

It must be emotionally easier living alone without the fear of her husband eventually finding out the kid isn't his. Even if it might be tough financially. Better now, than in five years, because she isn't getting any younger.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
            I wonder whether she will tell Roger the truth about the baby now and how she will manage her life as a single mom? In the 60s that must have been much tougher than it is today. Hopefully, her mother will help her out, like she offered to.
            Umm, Roger already knows. If I remember correctly Joan confronted him in the office at the end of last season, they went to the doctors together, and he was basically going to pay for her to get an abortion. It was her choice and he was letting her make it and I'm pretty sure they left it with Roger thinking she was getting an abortion. Obviously that didn't happen. Which made the scene during the first episode where Roger came down the hall and said something along the lines of "there's my baby!" and then hugged/kissed Joan that much more bittersweet. I don't even care, I still ship Joan/Roger.

This episode was pretty good. Peggy getting all of the money out of Rogers pocket had me chuckling. They need more scenes together.

And the dream with Don was a little screwed up but I didn't realize it was going to be a dream. I could easily believe that's the kind of jackass thing he would do in that situation. And did anyone notice that he was basically blaming the woman. It's the woman's fault for coming on to him. Not his own goddamn fault for not keeping it in his pants. I swear this is what he's always done for the entire show. It's the main reason I can't stand the SOB.

As for Megan and the new guy, cannot stand either one of them. Just thought I'd add that in here. If Don does cheat first, which lets be honest if we were to hedge our bets we'd have good odds, I kind of want him to do it with Betty. Just for the hell of it. Megan was out of line the last episode at the end when she was saying Betty made up the cancer scare so she could talk to Don. Screw you Megan! And screw you for getting preferential treatment getting a higher position in the office, even though everyone else had to work for their positions, just because you're banging one of the bosses.
            T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

Overall, Mad Men is one of the better shows that I watch, but I still find it extremely overrated: this includes the writing, the acting, etc. Breaking Bad is far better in every way imaginable.

* I found it a bit ridiculous that Megan in 5.03 was complaining about Don running into ?formers': Betty complaints are understandable but Megan knows what kind of guy Don is. Plus, her birthday present to Don was a sexy dance in front of his friends and coworkers. So, she seems to know that Don was mainly interested in her because of her physical attractiveness and her career-woman status. Anyway, the guy continued to cheat on the mother of his children and who was partly responsible for Don being able to be as successful as he became (her coming from a great family gave Don legitimacy he may not have otherwise had). Megan is pretty much a secretary who wanted to be the new Peggy but had a little more depth than Jane.

* I'm very sympathetic toward Pete Cambell. Pete decided to be loyal to Don instead of being the number one or two named partner in a bigger, more successful firm. And now even though he brings in practically all of the clients, he couldn't even get a big office space without a lot of nonsense from Roger. And he still suffers the indignity of not even being a named partner. The show seems to simply gloss over the fact that Pete realistically should have left the firm and if he had, he'd likely be millionaire (or multi-millionaire) already. Instead, Pete instead of being the main guy in a bigger firm is currently beneath 4 other people hoping that somehow SterlingCooperDraperPrice somehow becomes so successful that when it's sold Pete will be more enriched than if he had joined the other firm. As-is, we're made aware that the firm currently barely has any money to even operate.

* It's kinda difficult to understand why Roger is still at the firm. Other than being in the advertising business and hanging with Don at work, he doesn't need the firm. And so far this year he's simply being giving money to Harry and Peggy.

* Cooper: what does he do there now besides supposedly provide capital?

* Peggy: We saw her apartment in 5.03. Joan married a doctor, Jane married Roger, and Megan married Don. Joan still is important to the firm, and Megan is becoming the ?new Peggy' with the bonus of she's married to Don and gets to live in a penthouse Manhattan apartment. Isn't Peggy the feminist we are supposed to look up to? In 5.03 she's happy that she got $400 because of a pis)ing match between Pete and Roger. And last season there was an episode that showed that Peggy was bummed that Don never seemed to want to bed her. So, in ways, it seems it's Megan who got what Peggy wanted. Also, where is Peggy's child that she had with Pete?

* Lane: He's pretty much what would qualify for the CFO and controller of the firm. And we see that without him, the firm would go under because he's the one who keeps track of the money. And we're told that sometimes the firm doesn't get paid for work done until many months later.

* Who actually runs the firm? And what exactly does Don do anymore? We see Peggy do campaigns and pitches and the new Jewish guy do the same. Don is pretty much just there to approve things and have sex with Megan in the office and look pretty at meetings with clients.

* So far I like the Jewish go-getter. He's possibly already better than Peggy and Don doesn't even seem to do anything but approve things and show up at meetings.

Cori

[About 5.03] I did not appreciate her prejudices about black people and stealing but I did like that she overcame them and decided to trust Dawn.
              I don't know how much was a lot of money in 1966, but Roger gave Peggy $10 to do an all-nighter creating an entire ad campaign. Roger then asked Peggy how much she made in a week. And if I remember correctly, Roger gave Harry $600 to get him to switch offices with Pete. So, $410 is a lot of money that Peggy was risking. And Peggy is the head copywriter in the firm. She's pretty much directly under Don in the creative department. Don the secretary is a secretary and that $410 ? plus the bag and its contents ? possibly was many months or years of salary for someone like her. And it's not as if she is BFFs with Peggy. And she had been sleeping in Don's office and is perhaps desperate for money. It's not as if she's in a position that Roger or Don is in.

holypotatoes

And screw [Megan] for getting preferential treatment getting a higher position in the office, even though everyone else had to work for their positions, just because you're banging one of the bosses.
              Megan does things like coupons, which Peggy mentions is something that Peggy did 2 years ago and wouldn't touch. And it doesn't seem that Megan is horrible in her new job. It's not as if Don put Megan on the Mohawk airlines thing, put her above Peggy, or anything of the like.

Comment

Geez Betty continues to be the most irritating character ever! I sympathise with her struggle to lose weight and I can understand that she feels threatened by Megan but to throw out the name of Anna Draper like that (and to Sally no less) and wanting to cause friction between Don and Megan (because she wrongly assumed that Megan did not know about Anna) was just mean and petty. I loved how Sally told her that Don and Megan spoke very fondly of Anna and thus Betty's petty scheme not working out, serves her right.

Don's fear of his younger staff's talent and of no longer understanding what is hip get more and more pronounced by the episode. I thought it was really pathetic that he intentionally "lost" Michael's idea in the cab.

And man, Alexis Bledel really grew up! I hardly recognised her in last week's episode. The hair and makeup are very different from her role on Gilmore Girls. Pete's fantasy about her was very pedestrian though, even if Alexis looked hot. And it might not be the best idea to tell the husband of the woman you have had a one night stand with and fantasise about that you want to sleep with his wife. Think, Pete, before you open your mouth!

I thought that it was great that the writers made Megan's actress friend tell her what I have been thinking, namely that she has it rather easy pursuing her dream of being an actress when her husband provides for her and continues to let her lead the lifestyle she has become accustomed to, while most actors (like her friend) need to wait tables etc. to survive. Megan has made herself completely financially dependent on Don now and that's never wise. Yes she might have a career as an actress some day and make her own money but until then she is dependent on Don.

Jane looking so sad after she and Roger had sex in her new apartment broke my heart, she looked absolutely miserable. And she is right of course, now her new apartment also has unhappy memories. I really wish Roger would think of someone other than himself every now and again.

Comment

Geez Betty continues to be the most irritating character ever!
                  HDU! That title belongs to Megan thank you very much. : pout:

Jane looking so sad after she and Roger had sex in her new apartment broke my heart, she looked absolutely miserable. And she is right of course, now her new apartment also has unhappy memories. I really wish Roger would think of someone other than himself every now and again.
                  Umm, yeah. I didn't feel bad for her at all to be honest. It does take two to tango afterall. Hell she even paused the makeout session that night and then continued to go through with it anyway. She is just as responsible for making those supposed "unhappy memories" as Roger is.
                  T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

Working...
                  X