Pretty Little Liars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty Little Liars

Anyone watching Pretty Little Liars? I started watching it last month and now I am pretty much obsessed with the show. I never expected to like it as much. It's odd mixture of teenage drama, comedy and slasher flick. It has a downright omniscient villain who terrorises four teenage girls, almost every male character is extremely creepy, the police is more useless than even the police in Sunnydale and yet it also has terrific, fully fleshed characters, witty dialogue and a plot that keeps you guessing.

I also enjoy that it has avoided many of the pitfalls that plague its genre - the four protagonists' lives do not revolve around boys and clothes only, no protracted love triangles, no parents who never notice anything that's going on in their kids' life (and when parents are neglectful this is addressed in show, its not because the plot said so). Most of all I enjoy the friendship between the four protagonists - it's very reminiscent of the early Scooby bond and it withstands all attempts of the Big Bad to drive a wedge between them.

The reveal of who A is will most likely be disappointing but I am enjoying the characters and their interaction much that this won't bother me too much. Spencer and Hanna in particular are one of the most interesting characters I have seen in a TV show in quite some time. The use of recurring characters is also something many shows, BtVS included, could have learned a thing or two from. Just when you think a character won't come back, they do and are important for the plot.

For BtVS fans there is the added bonus of seeing Bianca Lawson (Kendra) still playing a teenager.
    Xander: "Willow, you are the best human ever! I adore you! Well, that's the cookies talking, but you rock!"
Working...
X