Buckle up Rupert, I've gone pro: virtual seasons in the commercial world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckle up Rupert, I've gone pro: virtual seasons in the commercial world

I thought all writers and readers of fanfic "virtual seasons" might find this interesting... a company that now writes and publishes "series" of stories, based on the TV show model. Some are original material, but they're also doing some existing TV shows too

http://www.boxfiction.com/EXP/

I find this a fascinating blurring of the fanfic/profic line. What do you guys think?

I wonder if there will be any scope one day for a Jossverse equivalent? I think that would be amazing. Firefly, season 2 anyone? Though if it kept the movie continuity, I'd be sad to see it without Wash

What other shows would you like to see official virtual series of?

I'd love some Twin Peaks, Dead like Me, Wonderfalls... what else?

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Violated copyrights are violated.

This is definitely meant as a business model that's going to rely on Fair Use as its legal basis, but I don't think it's going to be held up. Non-commercial use isn't definitive, but it sure does keep a lot of IP owners from going after violations, and if these guys are going to charge money, their going to get taken to court.

That is, of course, unless they are going to actually get licensed to use the copywritten material. I have no idea how much an IP owner would charge for a non-novel ongoing serial fiction license, but it would depend a lot on whether they think it would make things like movie, novel, or TV rights more valuable or less.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
      Violated copyrights are violated.

This is definitely meant as a business model that's going to rely on Fair Use as its legal basis, but I don't think it's going to be held up. Non-commercial use isn't definitive, but it sure does keep a lot of IP owners from going after violations, and if these guys are going to charge money, their going to get taken to court.

That is, of course, unless they are going to actually get licensed to use the copywritten material. I have no idea how much an IP owner would charge for a non-novel ongoing serial fiction license, but it would depend a lot on whether they think it would make things like movie, novel, or TV rights more valuable or less.
      I'm not 100% sure, but I assume they're working in partnership with the licence holder (or have bought the rights outright).

I can see it working for things like shows that got a following, but not enough of one to justify being on telly... but left behind a bunch of frustrated and dedicated fans.

Licensing the properties to use on a site like this probably wouldn't be of interest to a brand that's an ongoing success... but potentially could be a nice little earner for something that otherwise would just be in a cupboard somewhere or the back of someone's brain.

I do wonder if they're going to fall between two stools, this lot, because they're trying to dress up reading as telly, when perhaps they should just suggest the connection, but also acknowledge the connection with older serial fiction. That way they'd get literary snobs as well as telly types.

So, promoting it as a weekly serial, must-read virtual TV... but also in the wake of Dickens et al.

From a fannish point of view, I do love the idea that something like this would allow a cancelled show to live again. Realistically, there are all kinds of copyright issues... but, setting those aside and assuming people can cooperate and pigs fly and all that... I'd love to see a Buffy version of this some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
        I'm not 100% sure, but I assume they're working in partnership with the licence holder (or have bought the rights outright).

I can see it working for things like shows that got a following, but not enough of one to justify being on telly... but left behind a bunch of frustrated and dedicated fans.

Licensing the properties to use on a site like this probably wouldn't be of interest to a brand that's an ongoing success... but potentially could be a nice little earner for something that otherwise would just be in a cupboard somewhere or the back of someone's brain.

I do wonder if they're going to fall between two stools, this lot, because they're trying to dress up reading as telly, when perhaps they should just suggest the connection, but also acknowledge the connection with older serial fiction. That way they'd get literary snobs as well as telly types.

So, promoting it as a weekly serial, must-read virtual TV... but also in the wake of Dickens et al.

From a fannish point of view, I do love the idea that something like this would allow a cancelled show to live again. Realistically, there are all kinds of copyright issues... but, setting those aside and assuming people can cooperate and pigs fly and all that... I'd love to see a Buffy version of this some day.
        The thing is, I'm inherently skeptical that any major IP owners (TV and movie studios, mainly) would license such a thing. If it's worth enough to charge money for a license, by that same token, licensing someone to inundate a potentially interested marketplace with new material would only stand to devalue the more profitable options for the property. Unless all such fic would basically be work-for-hire property of the IP holder to be leveraged as they see fit.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
          The thing is, I'm inherently skeptical that any major IP owners (TV and movie studios, mainly) would license such a thing. If it's worth enough to charge money for a license, by that same token, licensing someone to inundate a potentially interested marketplace with new material would only stand to devalue the more profitable options for the property. Unless all such fic would basically be work-for-hire property of the IP holder to be leveraged as they see fit.
          It wouldn't work for a property that has the potential for more TV shows. But for cancelled shows that ain't coming back... I think it's an interesting route to take.

Comment

Working...
          X