No announcement yet.

Reacting to Reactions! - AtS Season 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a fan of phantom Dennis as an ongoing character, although he has his moments, but the intro and background to him I think are put together in an interesting way here. My least favourite aspect of the episode being the 'cry Buffy' line that makes little sense for Cordy to say I think and her breakdown didn't even make his list of issues. In fact, as I remember it, he seemed to quite like how CC did the despairing patch Cordy had. I have to say I like seeing her pulling on an inner strength again though. In that way I suppose she's given a touch of that duality we're seeing generally.

Comment

Okay, alley box has watched Rm w/a Vu now too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Bxp8CL6Mg
      She clearly wasn't coming into this expecting to enjoy it too much. She isn't finding following Angel and Cordelia too engaging yet and wants something more. As she's not too bothered by Doyle I expect the change to Wes and that feel of a watcherly dynamic coming in might make quite a big difference for her.

It was so weird that the scene of Maude bricking in Dennis was missing from the recording she first watched. I'm glad she got to see that later as it's definitely a key moment in this ep. Shame that she originally watched it not in the best frame of mind, but I'm glad that on reflection she enjoyed it more.

I really like that she is pro Kate, but it is a fair point to question what she'd be thinking when it's revealed there are reoccurring suicides at this location. Where is there logic outside the supernatural she'd be happy with? Of course they are going to bring Kate in more so it'll be interesting to see if she is satisfied with how that goes. I'm glad she enjoyed the humour in the interactions between Angel and Cordelia and it seems she'll get more from the phantom Dennis element than I do. She'll probably warm to Doyle just as they kill him off.

Comment

I watched the AlleyBox review and can understand why she feels as she does. Cordy and Angel are still struggling with characterisation right no. They are being written as if they were still part of Buffy, especially Angel being the broody vampire. I think she'll warm when she sees that Angel is much better in his own show and Boreanaz can actually act.

I agree that Doyle's death will affect her, but she'll be surprised to see Wesley and I think once he joins, the show takes on a more adventurous and humorous tone and she'll enjoy that.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I watched the AlleyBox review and can understand why she feels as she does. Cordy and Angel are still struggling with characterisation right no. They are being written as if they were still part of Buffy, especially Angel being the broody vampire. I think she'll warm when she sees that Angel is much better in his own show and Boreanaz can actually act.

I agree that Doyle's death will affect her, but she'll be surprised to see Wesley and I think once he joins, the show takes on a more adventurous and humorous tone and she'll enjoy that.
          I suppose it makes sense really that there is a lot of BtVS characterisation in them at the moment as that's where they came from and there should be an adjustment/transition as they're finding their way in a new place. Plus, they could even bring it out in each other a little as they met back then. I think her feeling of not being invested in the character of Doyle will be better met with Wes' appearance. I think it will also help her to see Angel as a protag too.

When they make more of the clash with W&H and meet Gunn as well as having Kate around, you start to get a bit more structure to the world around AI. It begins to pull it out of just being Angel fighting demons at night in LA, which is all she's feeling that you are seeing so far. Somnambulist and The Prodigal start to dig more into Angel's past too and his deeper issues that feed that brooding. I'll be surprised if it doesn't start to grab her more as the season goes on and Wes joins.

I'm glad that she's feeling like she can express her reservations though. I think it is easy to assume the reactors are just going to say positive things to try to please the existing fans of the shows. I'm sure there is a degree to which that's true and they are deliberately trying to see worth in what they're watching. But it is important that she can also talk about how she is individually finding it when it isn't working for her and there's nothing wrong with simply liking one show more than another. Plus, she's clearly aware it's early days still for AtS. She may not come to love it as much as BtVS, but it should improve for her as it gets into its rhythm.

Comment

failwhale34 posted on Sense & Sensitivity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZE9pipAqE
            I have a lot of love for this episode. I'm glad he got a fair amount of enjoyment out of it, and appreciated the expansion for Kate.

Comment

failwhale's watch of Bachelor Party is up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DccgHSkk7k0
              This was a fairly fun reaction to watch. He seemed to appreciate getting some more background to Doyle, but he didn't do any after watch comments/analysis this time so it was all just the reaction. No idea why, possibly tech issues. Plenty of enthusiasm for the coming crossover.

Comment

And now alley box has posted on Sense & Sensitivity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeF9VL_YHqY
                Her continued enjoyment of Kate's inclusions are nice to see. The way things go with Angel/Kate and her difficulty with the supernatural is not going to be what she's expecting at all I think. But it is impactful so hopefully that element will meet what she's hoping for.

It was just great to see her really engaged in an AtS episode. As she explains, for someone who likes normally reserved characters being written to share, it was on to a winner for her. I can understand the mixed feelings towards humour being attached to people sharing feelings, but I do agree they weren't just playing it as embarrassing to do. I'd like to rewatch the scene of Kate's speech now following her comments on the camera work, interesting.

This is the first AtS reaction I think she's seemed fully on board with the show. This episode is a highlight in the early half of the season for me so I'm not sure it won't drop a bit for her again after this. I do think it bodes well for her getting more engaged with the show and the better, more consistent quality increase that comes.

Urr, she started this video saying she's had a bad breakup, clearly is struggling with it bless her as it plays on her mind blatantly through her final comments, and is wanting Giles and Oz to not let her down. She does present it as not being serious but, egads, I hope she was feeling a bit better before she moved on to Wild at Heart over on her Buffy watch. I guess I'll find out when she loads up the YouTube of that next.

Comment

Working...
                X