Reacting to Reactions! - AtS Season 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reacting to Reactions! - AtS Season 1

Exactly like the BtVS threads, this is intended for any/all reaction vids for Season 1 of Angel. Feel free to post your thoughts/recommendations/comments on any reactor's vids on an AtS S1 episode in this thread.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how some reactors respond to the sister show after watching a handful through the first three seasons of Buffy. I've only watched all of alley box's BtVS reactions up to this point. I assume it's pretty standard to watch Angel too when reactors hit S4 of BtVS so I'd imagine I'll be heading to this thread eventually having seen the first season AtS reactions of some others too. But for a starter, I've just finished watching alley box's reaction to City of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeOT...oN5h_dIDrTYrYq
    I don't know how I managed to forget just how awful the vamp make up was at the start of S1. She'll be glad this doesn't continue like that.

It was really interesting watching her response as she was just getting that initial impression of the tone and style of the show, she seemed really taken aback by it. It was fascinating as there was a clear lack of familiarity with the feel of what she was watching and you really could see it was a main element of her reaction to this first episode.

Of course her joy at Cordelia being a main cast member was expected and great to watch. She appears to have plenty of initial enthusiasm and interest in the premise. I'm sure she'll settle in to the style they are going for with a few more episodes. The different shows that it brought to mind for her was intriguing. And interesting that she felt it seemed more aged.

I've never really thought about the way W&H is lightly introduced in this episode until she was pondering on whether a main antagonist was included with Russel being killed at the end. Her thoughts about how differently the challenges and dilemmas might be for Angel compared to Buffy was interesting.

I've seen that she has already posted on Lonely Hearts too so hopefully I'll manage to catch that soon. But here's the link for it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ADBOa9sbc

Comment

I keep going back and attempting to watch her reactions, but her reactor 'style' still annoys the hell outta me. It's so distracting/childish. I dunno, maybe one day she'll grow out of it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

I still enjoy alley box's reactions but she is still warming up to AtS I think. I've just watched Lonely Hearts and have to say I'm not keen on one change as she had the subtitles up throughout and it was very distracting, I hope she doesn't keep doing that.

I think she's still adjusting to the show. Her enthusiasm feels a little intentional at the moment. I don't think it's not genuinely there at all. I just don't think she's really feeling connected to it yet (appropriate thematically for the episode ). She does seem to be liking starting to get some greater character exploration for Angel and saying the episode themes were heavy handed at times isn't an unfair comment. I also hadn't ever really felt critical of the choreography, but I think that was reasonable to raise. And she does see the show is just trying to get its vibe going.

It's interesting to see someone coming to AtS with a lot of love for Cordelia. This show is just going to be a rough ride for her overall but does hit some character highs too at least. Her thoughts on the potential for Kate were interesting, I think she'll like the different way the show goes with her from what she was considering.

She said she is following the 'SlayAlive guide', I don't know how that compares against air dates but it's BtVS next apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
          She said she is following the 'SlayAlive guide', I don't know how that compares against air dates but it's BtVS next apparently.
          Yep, Slayalive guide seems the most popular choice for many reactors—Liam follows it (he has just 3 episodes of Buffy left!), as well as ASR, Catterson and Van who all use/used it.

I can never tell which is best - there is an alternative viewing guide out there too. This is the Slayalive one, in case you wanted to check it out. Here is the alternate. I feel like I almost prefer the alternative in some ways...the most discernible difference is around FFL. But then again, since I haven't seen the whole Angel show I probably am not the best judge. I just feel there are long stretches in S7 with long chunks of Angel episodes that somewhat break up the flow of viewing Buffy.

Comment

Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
            Yep, Slayalive guide seems the most popular choice for many reactors—Liam follows it (he has just 3 episodes of Buffy left!), as well as ASR, Catterson and Van who all use/used it.

I can never tell which is best - there is an alternative viewing guide out there too. This is the Slayalive one, in case you wanted to check it out. Here is the alternate. I feel like I almost prefer the alternative in some ways...the most discernible difference is around FFL. But then again, since I haven't seen the whole Angel show I probably am not the best judge. I just feel there are long stretches in S7 with long chunks of Angel episodes that somewhat break up the flow of viewing Buffy.
            Thanks for these. I'd have to print them off and think through it to really consider what I think works best. The couple of times I've watched the shows together I've just watched 1 x BtVS & 1 x AtS each time when viewing S4/S1, S5/S2, S3/S6 and I've thought that works really well and is interesting for crossing themes between the two shows just done simply like that. I don't know if that is how they aired though. As I was aware that there were crossovers for S4/S7 I have been watching them as they aired as it is more complicated then. Except, watching LMPTM first (otherwise Willow crosses over before she's left Sunnydale ).

I think I'd always be more inclined to watch them as they chose to air them than muddle them up if it's unnecessary. It'll be interesting as I'm following the reactors (rather than fully rewatching myself) to consider this factor and how I think they sit against each other compared to the air dates and how I've viewed them before, where they vary.

EDIT: Ugh I've just glanced at the SlayAlive list and missing the really great thematic links between the S3 and S6 episodes if you watch them side by side (at its beautiful best at As You Were hits with Loyalty, Hell's Bells with Sleeptight, Normal Again with Forgiving) is a travesty imo.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
              SpuffyGlitz commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes! personally I'm not that fond of the SlayAlive guide and am not sure why people recommend it so much to reactors. I'd prefer a simple 1 Buffy, 1 Angel switch. Long spells of grouped episodes breaks the flow imo

• Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              At a glance I'd def go with the Reddit list rather than having 3/4 of one show then the next, like the SlayAlive one does. That seems a very disappointing way to pair the two shows. I'll have to look up the air dates too.

I've just noticed that failwhale34 is actually up to episode 2 of AtS S1. I still have his Graduation Day reaction to watch but hopefully will catch up to these soon..

failwhale34
            - City Of... -
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNggNdVcCbE
            - Lonely Heart - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoNENZuN-dk

Comment

So I caught failwhale's first AtS reactions. He did mention having been given a watching order for the two but not which one he was going to follow. I'd love it if it is the none SlayAlive one so I can follow two people watching different orders. Plus, I really don't like the look of the SlayAlive one.

Anyway, I think he had the feels for the show and the different vibe more immediately than alley box. It's so long since I saw the start of AtS I don't remember having to adjust to seeing Angel as the star, not sure if I did as such. But obviously it is a jump from the side character he was in BtVS. I suspect he'll like the character elements that carry on that AtS examines with Angel so often. Another great response to Cordelia's inclusion.

Really enjoyed this and his energy for it is great. I may go and watch his reaction to Lonely Hearts.

Comment

Yep, I caught up on failwhale's AtS reactions with Lonely Hearts. His response to the reveal Kate is a cop was great. He clearly enjoyed the theme and is still weighing up the show, comparing it and trying to pin what he feels about how they are going about it. Another, really enjoyable reaction.

Comment

failwhale34 - In the Dark - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI76pviLq4I
                  I'm really enjoying his energy for AtS. Great appreciation for the intro and end scenes and he seemed to enjoy the rest well enough and the use of Oz crossing over. Good awareness of the impact of relationships and the notions of moving on tying across the shows.

Comment

Just watched this reaction and it was as sad as the actual episode

Comment

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've not seen SoraMiyano before, have you watched many of hers?

• Priceless
                      Priceless commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've watched most of her Buffy vids. I like her. Her vids are short and sweet and she'd quite loud and emotional, which is fun to watch. If you're into reactor who talks more after reacting, I don't think she'll appeal.

Priceless I watched the reaction to Hero and quite liked her. It's quite nice to have such a short reaction vid, and you can't doubt she's invested in the characters! I loved Doyle so I was gutted by his exit when I first watched the show and the video being played again in You're Welcome in S5 gets me every time.

EDIT: She was obviously already feeling quite emotional before she started ep9, I assume from IWRY?

Comment

• Priceless
                      Priceless commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, and she's a big Angel the character fan, but I didn't watch IWRY as it's not one of my favourite episodes. I like the shortness of her vids too.

I've just seen failwhale has posted on I Fall to Pieces (and Fear, Itself). Hopefully I'll get to see those later today. In the meantime...

alley box - In the Dark - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v6rJ-1EQzY
                    Intriguing that this felt anticlimactic to her because there was the build up from BtVS across to this for it only to lead to Angel destroying the ring. We're still looking at Angel getting comfortable with what his mission/goal is at this point so him actively choosing to restrict himself to staying in the dark is defining for him as a character moment. I do understand her wishing for something that is impactful to the new show to happen, but so much at first is about Angel's mindset. The starting episodes possibly work better when you've seen where it all goes. She's not unaware this may all sit differently in wider context though, she just wanted more from the whole ring plot line with it crossing the two shows. I can't say that ever bothered me, but it was a curious point as the focus of her dissatisfaction.

Her reaction to the way Spike was used this episode and her comments about this as a first example of the shows crossing over were interesting.

Comment

Alley's reaction to the smashing of the Ring of Amara was my reaction too. What a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Alley's reaction to the smashing of the Ring of Amara was my reaction too. What a waste.
                        I do get that, but sending it to Angel whose soul could be lost was not a wise choice. Hmmm, I'm going to start a poll/thread on this.

Comment

Alley Box reaction to In the Dark was so similar to mine when I first watched it. Now that I think, I don't think I ever rewatch it.
                          Smashing the ring was a waste, but it should never be sent to Angel in the first place. I think writers could come with a more clever plot point for crossover.

Comment

As usual, playing catch up... I've finally watched failwhale34's reaction to I Fall to Pieces and saw alley box had seen that too, so I watched both...

failwhale - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dXWp3IuegI
                            His sponsorship ideas made me smile.

The suspense, horror of this and the traumatic situation of Melissa being stalked like that, the general character progressions all seemed to work fine for him. More minor complaints. He seems pretty happy watching the series so far.

alley box - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyuRPgwafAs
                            When I saw how short her vid for this was compared to her usual I expected it to reflect a continuing lack of connection to the show so far. I think there is a little of that perhaps, but greatly this time due to neuroscience being a real area of interest for her and that making suspension of disbelief harder for her. It just proved an additional barrier as the arguments they were putting forward hit bugbears.

Her response to the fear aspect of what Melissa would have been going through was fair and I was pleased about how happy she was to see Kate reappear. I know the character isn't everyone's cup of tea but the mirroring between Kate and Angel is one of my favourite aspects of the first seasons. There was some real appreciation for the directing at one point, the camera work that appeals to her I always enjoy hearing about. How it brought Helpless to mind was interesting.

Comment

• Priceless
                              Priceless commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I didn't watch this one by Alley Box as it's not an episode I enjoy.

Priceless wrote: I didn't watch this one by Alley Box as it's not an episode I enjoy.
                            It is definitely not the best episode. I'm really watching all of their reactions to get a good view of where their opinions are building from. I love seeing where they like things that didn't strike me and dislike elements I like.

The need to suspend disbelief in this episode for me is not only with the detaching body parts that causes no blood loss or visible wounds, but also when Angel is shot and the drug works even though he has no circulation. I don't know if either remarked on this in their full reactions, but it really stood out to me that neither commented on it at all. Of course, the idea that his blood flows in any direction at all is established canonically by the fact vampires have sex, so we can just shrug and say obviously it does in some way exist and the evidence for this simply includes that this shot had an immediate effect on him. alley box likening the scene of the attack on Cordelia/Doyle to the tone of the house in Helpless was a really intriguing comparison. I like being given extra elements to think about from ideas/observations I've never made. In some ways, even more so with episodes I like less.

Comment

• Priceless
                              Priceless commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I watch so many reactors that if I watched every episode I wouldn't have time for anything else

Priceless I can understand that. I have wondered how the heck everyone manages to follow so many when I'm struggling to watch just four through. I did enjoy dropping in to see that one by SoraMiyano you mentioned. It did make me want to watch all of hers from the start of BtVS though. I'm such a chronology obsessive fan I hate missing anything. Even the ones I don't enjoy as much.

Comment

I've just watched failwhale34's reaction to Room w/a Vu - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6X0M21VgjE.
                              Ah I do like this episode a lot, I wish he'd liked it a bit more. But he found some good in the interactions and some of the serious elements being covered. Considering the conversation we've been having elsewhere on the board about S1 and Doyle's shortened role due to Glenn Quinn's problems, it's interesting to hear his perspective at this stage on the building friendship between Angel and Doyle.

A real strength of this episode for me is the realised truth of what happened between Dennis and his mother. It's harrowing and really shows the negative effects people can have on each other in contrast to the building strength and positive influence the group are shown to be having on each other. It was interesting to hear the ways it didn't work for him though, because it was so different to how I see the ep.

Comment

• Priceless
                                Priceless commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Yes I thought he was pretty underwhelmed, which was disappointing to watch as I really like this episode.
                            Working...
                            X