No announcement yet.

Disney reboot/continuation speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far it looks like the only "big plan" Disney has for the IP is to steal the title of it for... a different vampire IP they already own. "Blade the Vampire Slayer" would arguably be a trademark issue before the Fox purchase. More than anything it actually made me worry about their intentions. Pretty sure all existing reboot talk predated the sale.

Maybe they mean to fold Buffy into the Blade mythology as party of Marvel?
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Comment

I strongly doubt it somehow. It would be one hell of a clash imo.

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post

Maybe they mean to fold Buffy into the Blade mythology as party of Marvel?
        That would be a nightmare to make it work since the Buffy vampire mythology is incompatible with the Marvel/Blade universe vampire mythology.
        My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post

That would be a nightmare to make it work since the Buffy vampire mythology is incompatible with the Marvel/Blade universe vampire mythology.
          Honestly, I've never found them to be, at least not to the core metaphysics. In fact, if you scratch out "wood" vs. "silver" the central mythologies have a lot in common about how vampirism "works". And if you were rebooting Buffy anyway, why not just drop her and the Slayer mythos into "Silver Town" as it were?

The biggest differences are in the aesthetics, with "Buffy" having more classical tastes, a more parodic and light-tone and "Blade" being sort of 'proto-Matrix' vibes with fangs.

Broader point is - Disney/Marvel can literally do whatever they want with the property now and reimagine it as broadly as they like. They have no real limitations.
          sigpic
          Banner by LRae12

Comment

If Buffy is just going to be an action show about killing vamps, what's the point? Why bother co-opting Buffys name if they're not going to have the depth of meaning the original show had. I didn't watch Buffy for the special effects and fight scenes and if that's all a reboot gives us, I won't bother watching.

Comment

I'm not sure Buffy and Blade are a great fit because of the tone. Disney can discount what they want of course and do any spinoffs they feel will work but the idea of using the BOOM comics as canon for any shows will just make the Disney years look like an alternate. If the idea of setting up the multiverse for Buffy was to enable them to create different variants of the Buffy characters to drop into other franchises it will just cement the original series (and original comic seasons if you choose to accept them) as a very different thing from the BOOM/multiverse/Disney products. With BOOM reimagining everyone from the very start of their titles, Disney!Buffy is just very distinct to Joss' original. I think that sense of a strong separation will be a good thing if what they produce for the TV feels like the BOOM comics have. It'll be disappointing as I really did like the idea of a new TV show following a different slayer in the same verse. Of course, if it is a different slayer and the previous cast has no presence, a Disney 'X the Vampire Slayer' show could still be interesting, it just won't feel like a continuation of the original.

Comment

Disney isn't in the game of themes and literary convention, or even necessarily in the game of entertaining audiences (that's mostly happenstance). They are in the business of brand management and messaging.

Probably don't mistake me for advocating them throwing Buffy into a Marvel soup and figuring she's a natural fit for their existing vampire IP; it's just an observation that it fits very well with how Disney runs their IPs right now in general (namely, "into the ground", i.e. Star Wars).
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

Well at the moment I think they did brilliantly with Wandavision and Falcon and Winter soldier is excellent so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                    Well at the moment I think they did brilliantly with Wandavision and Falcon and Winter soldier is excellent so far.
                    Terrible ending for Wandavision though

Comment

Not really. For a start It's not an ending. The show is linked to upcoming movies, so we will see more about how all this develops.

Comment

Working...
                      X