Reacting to Reactions! - BtVS Season 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redtent View Post
    I'm so behind with failwhale's reactions. I watched all from s2, but none from s3. Maybe I'll just watch episodes that interest me.
    I'm enjoying watching his opinions develop by going through them all but I am struggling to fit in many other than failwhale and alley box at the moment, so I do understand not having the time to watch them all. I thought his reactions to Dead Man's Party, Band Candy, Revelations, The Wish and Consequences were probably some of his strongest this season, if any of those especially interest you??

Comment

• redtent
      redtent commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll certainly watch The Wish and Consequences.

Okay, I've seen a whole lot over the last couple of days, catching up with both failwhale and alley box. Now alley box has reached the end of S3 and is, I hope, going to start watching AtS I think I'm going to struggle to watch any more reactors than her/failwhale and trying to dot in Liam Duke and van still (which I haven't for ages). The reaction vids are great for popping in to odd half hours, but there aren't that many free in a day to do lots. I have no idea how people keep up with numerous reactors.

failwhale

Doppelgangland - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4VW...Sfo6R&index=49
    Not the most interesting of his reactions I don't think, and I was surprised by how short it was. Clearly from his comments he got something from the story for Willow, the humour as well as the emotional connections in the episode when they thought Willow had died. There was plenty of appreciation for Willow's performance and a very good observation right at the end about Faith basically being complicit to the assassination attempt on Willow. I think he liked it well enough but just didn't seem as caught up in it this time.

Enemies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txCm3KRVE-s
    A bit more love for Doppelgangland at the start, stating his appreciation for seeing the actors play different versions of themselves which is great when he's about to get that again with Angel.

Watching him go through all the switches of the fake out was pretty good fun. He's so energised by all of this, it's great to watch. I really like his appreciation for the Mayor. Really interesting thoughts at the end and great comments on where Buffy is emotionally then too. I don't remember having the start of the episode and the tension between Buffy and Angel there, what they can't do, tied to the tension and physicality at the end before, so that was interesting.

Considering how this episode has him view Faith by the end point, I'll be fascinated to see how he sees her S4/AtS story.

If you like this episode, you'll probably enjoy this reaction.

alley box

Graduation Day - pt1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA1VHtTBLPQ
    There are so many fantastic moments in these final two episodes. How much do I love the scene when the Mayor goes to the library in pt1? A huuuuge amount. Her responses at the time and later in her comments on this were great.

She obviously missed the connection between what Anya told them and what Giles and Xander were then looking at in the book. I would expect that's the kind of thing people probably commented on to her.

I don't think she felt the moral impact of what Buffy set out to do in attacking Faith initially. And she didn't get what Xander was saying about fearing losing Buffy until she was reflecting on where the episode went. There were some interesting comments on the Buffy and Faith scene generally though and Buffy getting to the stage of killing being a 'transforming' moment. But I'm not sure with any especially negative sense to it or concern. Possibly she just thinks the choice was justified. An interesting element to watch someone respond to.

I love the framing comments she gave, as always. So many feels for Willow and Oz. Very amused by her sense of trepidation because it seems to be going well. It's just not going to go wrong as soon as she's fearing.

I hope she watches AtS. I love Wes' story so much and I'd like to see how she responds to his development from where he was in BtVS.

Graduation Day - pt2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fZZro6A4
    I don't think I've heard before that there was a four month wait between the two parts of the finale when it aired. I wonder why that was?

I really like her vid insert about the sound in the scene of the Mayor at Faith's that emphasises his presence and the impending 'huge' threat tied to his transformation. Really a very interesting observation. Love her response to the Mayor's reaction on Faith being missing. She has overall reacted to that relationship so much like I did. And the Mayor's reaction in the hospital just backs it up. Excellent scenes.

I do get why she was saying Buffy and Angel are dramatic and that Angel was being dramatic in how he left. But I really do sympathise with his wish to not just have another emotionally hard moment. For either of them. To be honest, it actually seems like the less dramatic option to me.

She missed the danger of what Buffy did in pressing Angel to drink from her, the significance and risk for her, assuming that just a sip worked in the end. Surprising considering Buffy ended up in hospital. But heck, it's the first time she's seen it so missing something ain't a crime.

I really like her feeling of satisfaction that came from everyone reconnecting and the whole class fighting together. And that sense of the whole period of the school years' being wrapped up now.

I can't imagine she's going to be pleased with where Willow and Oz go. But generally her anticipation for the college years to come is great. Lots of anticipation for her watching AtS, seeing Cordelia and then Wes arriving. Fingers crossed on that, it sounded like she is going to watch it. Looking forward to her overall S3 thoughts too.

Comment

I'm sorry I watched AB's reactions to that yesterday, and christ, she's still just as irritating too me. She misses so much with her endless prattling and preconceived ideas. And don't get me started on those bloody stupid video cutaways she insists on shoving in there and which imo bring nothing useful to the table and just grate. I don't even find them funny! I'm sure she does have some good points in there somewhere, but by god I just can't sit through her childish presentation style.....

Comment

I really love watching her reactions, but the video cutaways either don't bother me or make me smile on occasions so that probably makes a difference. I like both her and failwhale for raising things that I haven't consciously thought about and find them both fun to watch and interesting.

But there are certainly enough reactors out there that you can avoid those that don't work so well for you and just try others. Are you watching anyone else covering S3 at the moment or are the ones you're currently following on different seasons?

Comment

I have watched failwhale's reaction to Doppelgangland and Enemies. I agree that his reaction to Doppelgangland was lacking a bit of enthusiasm considering how good an episode it is. Enemies on the other hand don't get much enthusiasm from me, so there's that.

flow

Comment

Yes, I've never been a fan of the fake out in Enemies just because I don't think it was necessary to keep the gang out of the loop. That just served to try to fool the audience more from what I can see. But he both fell for it and appreciated it. I really do enjoy seeing both people responding like I did and getting a front row seat and chance to observe someone responding differently. It keeps viewing interesting, to see where you converse and where you don't.

Comment

• Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              'converge' not converse, but it won't let me edit.

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
            I really love watching her reactions, but the video cutaways either don't bother me or make me smile on occasions so that probably makes a difference. I like both her and failwhale for raising things that I haven't consciously thought about and find them both fun to watch and interesting.

But there are certainly enough reactors out there that you can avoid those that don't work so well for you and just try others. Are you watching anyone else covering S3 at the moment or are the ones you're currently following on different seasons?
            My god, you must be better then I am at tuning things out as her damn silly visual 'bolt ons' irritate the F outa me. I mean why? There seems to be a plague of it out there at the moment. It's like they ether can't express what they're think or they're too lazy to try? Whatever it is I loathe it. Then they end up missing stuff and I just want to scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
              My god, you must be better then I am at tuning things out as her damn silly visual 'bolt ons' irritate the F outa me. I mean why? There seems to be a plague of it out there at the moment. It's like they ether can't express what they're think or they're too lazy to try? Whatever it is I loathe it. Then they end up missing stuff and I just want to scream.
              It's expressive of the internal connections that something makes you think of, that's all. I think everyone does things like that, she's just editing it in as part of the reaction vid compilation. It doesn't mean she missed something at the time of viewing it, just that she is linking what the moment made her think of. I don't think it is an inability to express what she's thinking so much as another way to express it. It isn't like she doesn't share her thoughts generally too. So in that way it's interesting to me as it is a visualisation of a thought. I can understand why some styles can be off putting to some people, but I think it is quite individual and interesting. I'm genuinely surprised you would watch any more of them if it bothers you that much.

Have you watched many/any of failwhale's?

Comment

Hell I can't seem to be able to copy and paste now. *sigh*

But yes, she does miss a lot. I've seen other commenters on there pointing that out that to her. For me it irritates as It's like the lazy gold fish memory kinda way of expressing yourself and for me that a filthy habit.

I watch because I'm bored. It's not like I have anything better to do with my life at the moment. And to be frank I only dip into her reactions now and again to see If she's improved any, but always come away disappointed.

Comment

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wouldn't worry about the copy/paste as the migration should happen early next week. Trying a different browser has worked for some, but if not I don't expect it to continue once we've migrated.

I didn't think analytically when I first watched, just enjoyed it in a pretty surface level way. It was only as I went to revisit it and started to talk about it more that I really got into the level of complexity in the characters and the ties across the season(s). So I don't think she's faring badly for a first viewing. Plus, I think a great deal comes more when you have the hindsight of where it goes too. Both in the individual seasons as well as across the series. I suppose in the end as I thoroughly enjoy hers, we just balance each other out.

The reaction vids are definitely not a bad option as a time filler as there's just lots to pick from. I know I could definitely lose more time on them. failwhale watches so many shows and I've seen is watching others that I've really enjoyed but I'm stopping myself looking. I'd like to catch up with Liam's and van's S3 reactions and I'll never do that if I start watching reactions to other shows too.

Comment

Ugh I can't believe it has been a month since I've posted in here. I've just had a quick look and I've seen failwhale34 is up to Graduation Day, so I've a whole load of catch up to try and manage for him too and it has been an age since I've watched any of Liam's or van's S3 reactions. Site restructuring and lockdown teaching have somewhat thwarted me of late. I really do want to get back to sneaking these in a bit more. But for now, here are some thoughts on alley box's S3 wrap up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys44Gd_Q1E0
                  As tends to happen with these end of season vids, it was a long one and I've seen/heard it in chunks over the last three weeks. I found the observation about runaways being more vulnerable to manipulation and coercion in relation to Faith and the Mayor really interesting. I did tend to relate to how she responded to Faith's character through the season, so I enjoyed her thoughts on Faith as they cropped up throughout the vid.

Her rankings were fun. It's always great to hear people's preferences. My favourite episodes don't reflect hers, but they were interesting choices I didn't expect. Her appreciation for the S3 new characters is fab. She has plenty of energy and interest for what will change as they leave high school which is great.

I liked her thoughts around how the show mixes comedy with serious topics and adored her comments on Anne and how she got more from it as she reflected on it. That developing appreciation for the show is brill and shows at so many points during her vid. Really loved the idea of relating wishverse Buffy to Faith and how circumstances affect someone. And she is enjoying Jonathan's reappearances, which I love.

It felt like her fangirling of Angel has reduced but her interest in him is still there, so I really hope she enjoys AtS too. She's going to be so gutted when she sees Cordelia is missing and then so pleased when she sees she's transferred over to AtS. I do hope her opinion on Xander positively develops as the seasons head on.

I think the discussion in the later parts of the vid did show how her thinking is somewhat influenced by her chats with fans and even the questions that people ask can influence or prompt where thinking goes. Still, it sounds like she is actively avoiding spoilers and it does feel like she is having a genuine, individual reaction to the show to me. I always really enjoy when she brings up observations about camera work, lighting, music etc.

The information on creating the vids (boy, it sounds like a lot of effort to me) and the experience of discussing an older show compared to one currently airing was interesting. It's an enjoyable season summary vid.
                  --

I'm really looking forward to seeing alley box start S4 and I'll create a new thread for that and one for Angel S1 if noone else has when I start to see them. But at some point I'll be coming back here too to post on failwhale, Liam and van.

As always, if anyone has any S3 reactor vids to comment on or recommend, feel free to do it in here.

Comment

I got to throw in a failwhale34 reaction to my evening today. I need to catch up as he's now hit S4/S1 too. I might manage this fairly steadily over the next few days as he seems to have dropped his YouTube reactions to more like the 15-20min mark so they're much easier to fit in. I wonder if he's trying to draw people to Patreon more or if it just reflects the sheer number of shows he's watching, who knows. It'll help me catch up anyway.

failwhale34 - Earshot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zAM...Sfo6R&index=51

I was really pleased to get back to watching failwhale again. You never know I might get to go back to the odd ones of Liam's and van's too. But this seemed a real treat with it being one of my season favourites.

I was pleased to see some appreciation for the general idea of facing that everyone has their own issues to deal with. I do get finding the place and weapon choice for Jonathan to create the fake out of the mass shooting feeling off and having a subject like that with comedy elements woven around not always sitting well for him. Some definite positive character moments in there though. Maybe one he'll like more on a rewatch.

Even though on some levels the reaction was disappointing for me, it was still interesting. It's great seeing people receive episodes like you did, but equally can be good to see them not. And I have to say, I do actually like that I feel he isn't afraid to just say if an episode doesn't work for him, or at least voice where it struggles from his pov.

Comment

Working...
                    X