• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOOM! Buffy The Vampire Slayer # 24

BOOM! Buffy # 24 is out tomorrow.

Wenxina has a review of the issue.

http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/pr...ic-book-review

When they say 'Knitting together the previous iteration' do they mean the Dark Horse Buffy or the TV Buffy?

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know, but considering the setting of this was supposed to be the early seasons of the show, I'd guess to the original Joss canon of the TV show.

I've just looked at the TPB that will include issue 24, it's Vol 7 and gathers 23-26. On Amazon the cover shows a mirrored reflection and the bottom version has Xander with an eye patch and Spike with Buffy, Willow, and I'm guessing Anya. So, possibly meeting the group at S7 of the original canon?!

EDIT: Although, that's also the cover as it stands for vol 6 too.

Comment

Dear god that artwork. What an ugly grim bunch! Yet another easy miss for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        When they say 'Knitting together the previous iteration' do they mean the Dark Horse Buffy or the TV Buffy?
        I think it's referring to the canon shows/canon comics.

Comment

• Priceless
          Priceless commented
          Editing a comment
          So both the Dark Horse comics and the television show? So Season 3 Buffy could meet Season 12 Buffy and Boom Buffy? God, that is so complicated and I doubt these writers are not good enough to pull this off

I think it means Season's 1-12 Buffy could meet this reboot Buffy.

Comment

That's what I thought too. Our whole previous Buffyverse from season 1 until season 12 is now only one Buffyverse among many others within the multiverse.

As a concept, this is actually very intriguing. The big question however is are the writers able to pull it off as something meaningful.

flow

Comment

We've already seen a different Angel and Spike with a man bun, so they may make an appearance in this multiverse. I'm looking forward to how the different Buffy's react to Spike. There might even be a shanshued Spike. Anything is possible in a multiverse
            Last edited by Priceless; 07-04-21, 12:16 PM.

Comment

The multiverse concept is very popular right now.DC has been using it on TV for a while now with the Arrowverse,the other shows,and now the films using the Arrowverse Crisis crossover event last year.The Flash film will be continuing it.It has been a focus the last few years in the comics again too.Marvel is also getting into the multiverse too in Phase 4 .starting with WandaVision than Spider-Man:No Way Home and Dr. Stranger In The Multiverse of Madness.The Loki series also looks like it's going to be involved too based off the new trailer the other day.

That's what I thought too. Our whole previous Buffyverse from season 1 until season 12 is now only one Buffyverse among many others within the multiverse.

As a concept, this is actually very intriguing. The big question however is are the writers able to pull it off as something meaningful.
              We've already seen a different Angel and Spike with a man bun, so they may make an appearance in this multiverse. I'm looking forward to how the different Buffy's react to Spike. There might even be a shanshued Spike. Anything is possible in a multiverse
              They could even bring in movie Buffy(Kristy Swanson) too since the film continuity is off a bit from the show(use the multiverse idea to explain the discrepancies) and have her meet TV Buffy and BOOM! Buffy.

Really the multiverse concept opens the door to anything.A universe where Angel never came back from Hell or where Spike didn't get a soul.How about a world where Twilight won or Buffy stayed dead at the end of season 5.Oz never left in season 4 or Tara never died in season 6.

A comic book company can really run with this.
              Last edited by BAF; 07-04-21, 12:40 PM.

Comment

A comic book company can really run with this.
                Is this why it always feels a little cheap to me? That they can do absolutely anything and don't have to worry about characterisation or history? It's a sort of highbrow fanfic.

Are there any multiverses that work really well and make sense?

Comment

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do agree and at the same time I appreciate being able to bubble off what we already had and not feel like anything new has to upend it too. There's pros and cons I suppose.

• DanSlayer
                  DanSlayer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Johnathan Hickman's 2015 Secret Wars for Marvel. But that took years to tell in real life and was more an "end" of the multiverse. (Which really just merged Miles Morales into main Marvel afterwards).

In 'my' day this was just called plain old 'AU's. Multiverse is more a Marvel thing these days, and this poorly written old nonsense doesn't hold a candle to their standard of writing imo.

Boom imo are just a lazy, lazy, company that comes across like a Dog thats been chasing Cars. Now they've caught one they don't know what to do with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                  In 'my' day this was just called plain old 'AU's. Multiverse is more a Marvel thing these days, and this poorly written old nonsense doesn't hold a candle to their standard of writing imo.

Boom imo are just a lazy, lazy, company that comes across like a Dog thats been chasing Cars. Now they've caught one they don't know what to do with it!
                  That's all 'multiverse' is. It's simply a way to keep rebooting things and pretend it's all relevant to the other.

Comment

A multiverse structure can be a good thing (watch Into the Spiderverse!), but I have no faith in Boom’s writers.

Comment

I don't like multiverses. Usually they just create a bunch of plot holes. I wish they would leave canon Buffy out of this.

Comment

I'm still not sure what exactly this means in terms of its approach to Buffyverse canon? It just feels all over the place atm, to me.

Comment

Xander is dusted for a second time (by Faith) so Willow opens a portal, sure she can find his soul and bring him back . . .

Spoiler:
                          Everyone but Robin and Faith jump through and at the end we see Wesley and Ghost Ethan in Sunnydale meeting the television Giles and Joyce during Band Candy. I assume other characters will end up at other places along TVBuffy's timeline

I wish I were more excited by this, but I just think it'll get really messy and end up making no sense at all.

Comment

Xander is dusted for a second time
                            By now this would only be shocking if it would stick. I mean, what good has it done so far to soul him up and bring him back?

flow

Comment

• Priceless
                              Priceless commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yep, they gave him half of Willows soul, which made her half zombie-ish, he seemed to dust, then came back and now Faith's dusted him. Of course Willow will now find 107 different versions of him in the multiverse, so everything will be fine

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            Xander is dusted for a second time (by Faith) so Willow opens a portal, sure she can find his soul and bring him back . . .

Spoiler:
                            Everyone but Robin and Faith jump through and at the end we see Wesley and Ghost Ethan in Sunnydale meeting the television Giles and Joyce during Band Candy. I assume other characters will end up at other places along TVBuffy's timeline

I wish I were more excited by this, but I just think it'll get really messy and end up making no sense at all.
                            Yep won't it just! Such convoluted rubbish. Boom, get your house in order or just drop the whole thing entirely.
                            Last edited by Silver1; 08-04-21, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Sounds dumb. It's not a crossover because we know none of it happened in the real Buffyverse. Once again Boom shoots itself in the foot by not being able to resist the urge to incorporate the greatest hits.

Comment

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-the-vampir...-xander-death/

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Kills a Classic Scooby Gang Member

A major member of the core Buffy the Vampire Slayer cast was just killed and set off a potentially major new development for the Scoobies.

BY BRANDON ZACHARY
                                PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO

WARNING: The following contains spoilers for Buffy the Vampire Slayer #24 by Jeremy Lambert, Ramon Bahs, Raul Angulo, and Ed Dukeshire, on sale now

The modern Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic book has been making serious changes to the canon of the original Buffyverse, giving character's new arcs and accelerating some key transformations. However, one of the most radical deviations from the original series just got even further from established lore, which could set up another major shift for an important member of the story's original cast.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #24 just killed Xander, again. But given the circumstances surrounding this demise, this truly might finally be the end of this vampiric version of the character.

In the original continuity, Xander became a consistent ally and friend to Buffy and a foundational member of the Scoobies, the informal term for the group of evil-fighting heroes of Sunnydale. However, the modern incarnation of the character has had a far rougher experience. As a far more put-upon and despondent version of the character, Xander was eventually lured into the night by Drusilla and bitten by the vampire. Drusilla intended for him to die, only for Spike to share some of his blood, which began his transformation into a vampire. But Willow was able to sacrifice half of her soul to stop the full transformation and instead turn Xander into a half-vampire.

Xander used his newfound abilities to help the Scoobies for a time before the events of the "Hellmouth" crossover forced him to sacrifice this bond and have his soul fade. While his friends initially believed this resulted in his death, it only ensured the fully vampiric form of Xander was able to finally rise up. Quickly establishing himself as the new "Big Bad" of Sunnydale, Xander tried to manipulate things to be reunited with his "best friend." But his efforts only resulted in more chaos, building to the events of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #24. While Buffy tries to help Willow control her darker mystical impulses, Xander finds himself in the Sunnydale High courtyard facing off with Faith. Xander proves to be a capable enough fighter to hold her at bay, even biting her before Kendra arrives to help and force him back.

But when Willow descends to the courtyard, seemingly back in control of herself, Xander becomes distracted for one moment too long. Faith takes the chance to drive a stake into his back, causing Xander to crumble to dust and ash as he reaches out to Willow one more time. This seems to be the end of the vampiric Xander, as there's little way to reverse the full destruction of his body. While the series is full of magic and resurrections, this seems (at least on the surface) to be a fairly final fate for this version of Xander. But Willow, consumed by her grief, quickly opens a portal to try and find him, which results in many of the Scoobies being dragged into alternate dimensions.

Perhaps there's a chance Willow will find Xander -- or at least another reality's version of him, which could result in her either bringing him back to their universe or at least coming to terms with the loss of her Xander. It also marks the third time Xander has been "killed" in the series, effectively making him the Kenny McCormick of this Buffyverse. But even his final moments in Sunnydale could be a tease of dark things to come, with some of his final words being a warning to Faith that the Scoobies would inevitably turn on her. With her killing of Xander, it's likely there'll be additional drama with the other teens, which could lead this version of Faith down a similar road as her original incarnation, where she ended up striking out on her own.

Comment

Working...
                                X