Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cecil Hotel: Inspiration for the Hyperion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cecil Hotel: Inspiration for the Hyperion?

Netflix premiered a new documentary series - Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel.

https://youtu.be/UkoboFsY9_g

The main thrust of the series is an incident that occurred about a decade after Angel and the crew vacated their hotel HQ for the comforts of an evil law firm. But this hotel has a notoriously long history. And I see online people are suggesting it's one of the key inspirations for the Hyperion -- particularly the debut episode "Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been?"

The hotel is approximately the same age as Los Altos Hotel & Apartments, which provided the exterior of Angel's Hyperion and The Ambassador Hotel where some Hyperion interiors were filmed. The Cecil Hotel lobby looks very close to the Hyperion's.

The most striking difference for me is how the film documents the skid row neighbourhood around the Cecil Hotel. While Angel might have been on a mission to help the helpless, Angel's LA always seemed cleaner, safer and more affluent than reality.

That sounds really interesting. Definitely going to have a look at the trailer (even though I don't have Netflix), thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRobin View Post
      Netflix premiered a new documentary series - Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel.

https://youtu.be/UkoboFsY9_g

The main thrust of the series is an incident that occurred about a decade after Angel and the crew vacated their hotel HQ for the comforts of an evil law firm. But this hotel has a notoriously long history. And I see online people are suggesting it's one of the key inspirations for the Hyperion -- particularly the debut episode "Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been?"

The hotel is approximately the same age as Los Altos Hotel & Apartments, which provided the exterior of Angel's Hyperion and The Ambassador Hotel where some Hyperion interiors were filmed. The Cecil Hotel lobby looks very close to the Hyperion's.

The most striking difference for me is how the film documents the skid row neighbourhood around the Cecil Hotel. While Angel might have been on a mission to help the helpless, Angel's LA always seemed cleaner, safer and more affluent than reality.
      Yes, I've found that on so many sites including the Wikipedia site for the Cecil Hotel. I don't know if the writers for Angel ever confirmed it, but the Cecil Hotel has a notorious history in LA that most likely WAS the inspiration for the Hyperion. So many suicides, serial killers and horrible deaths there despite being a lovely art deco hotel built in the 1920s - very legendary.

I believe the two most famous things about the Cecil Hotel were the Black Dahlia murders - she had her last drink there - and Richard Ramirez, who lived there while on his serial killer spree. Here's a few articles:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/cecil-hotel-los-angeles

In the above article, you can see a picture of the lobby and how close it is to the Hyperion's lobby.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/9-...ow/ar-BB1dzhqc

I believe it also inspired the season of American Horror Story: Hotel.

Comment

I watched the Netflix series, and while I didn't know much about the Cecil Hotel beforehand I could definitely see the parallels. If there is a place that attracts both the lost and the dangerous, it would be the Cecil.

The series itself I found really fascinating, because it covered so many aspects of the story. Not only the "vanished" girl, but also the hotel's history, other colorful or frightening characters associated with the place and even the impact the investigation had on the investigators themselves, on people caught in the crossfire and on other hotel guests.
        Smile, listen, agree - and then do whatever the f**k you wanted to do anyway... (Robert Downey jr.)

Comment

Just watched the documentary on the Cecil Hotel - yes, it seems obvious to me that it was probably the inspiration for the Hyperion. Only in LA could a beautiful hotel turn into a terrifying haunted mansion scenario.

It's the Western/noirish aspect of LA with its bits and pieces of violent American serial killer culture strewn everywhere, 19th century elegance meets modernism of the Art Deco decor, massive wealth of a fantasy dream land (Hollywood) alongside terrible poverty and the end of Manifest Destiny 'we've hit the other ocean and there's no where to go' feel that permeates the place. It has a transient, hopeless vibe as people keep coming from everywhere, looking for their dream and finding the end of the road and death in a creepy hotel room.

Really, I can't think of another city that would have been better for Angel.

Comment

Working...
          X