How's everybody holding up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanSlayer View Post
    Good vampmogs GoSpuffy We just had another new batch today and some projections are putting it at over 400 by the end of the weekend! Most places still have a week or two of closures left. All the people abroad coming back will also increase it.The 2nd death here was only 51 years old, but had leukemia . They thought it was pneumonia and found out about the virus after he died because he had no travel history.

For people that have Prime and like sci-fi, The Expanse is really good. Give it to at least the first 4 episodes. Based on a book series and personally saved by the Amazon CEO after Syfy in the US cancelled it. 4 seasons done and the 5th already filmed. Likely going to wind up with 8-10 seasons based on how fast they cover the novels.

Some retailers like GameStop/EB Games are trying to call themselves essential. And a bunch of people just lined up for a new game release today. In this case I think a closure would kill the company since most of the industry is online now. A dollar store chain that has some food is staying open too.Hardware and auto parts stores are open too. Auto parts I could understand for transporting stuff, but Home Depot etc. are pushing it.
    So. If home depot closes and your plumber cannot fix the gushing leak in your bathroom for months because HD is closed. This is fine? An electrical or plumbing problem could become dangerous or render a home not safe to occupy at all. Where do you quarantine while water gushes through your house?

Comment

• Originally posted by flow View Post
      So, now Boris has it.

flow
      He did it to himself. He will probably recover. Unfortunately, his attitude and inaction also got a bunch of people dead.

Comment

• Francy, please be careful out there!

StateofSiege, how is your sister - is she feeling better?

Been busy taking my parents for medical check-ups (they're fine), taking their car in for a brake job and then to the tire store for tires (they are worn thin.). Otherwise, they'd have no car at all. Both times, I had to wait four to five hours for the work to be done because of reduced staff and walked the neighborhood to keep distance - it was like a ghost town. Peeking in the windows of restaurants, you can see hopeful faces waiting for someone to order take-out - looking in the pharmacy, the shelves are all depleted. No cars anywhere, empty buildings. For a while, I felt like I was in a Twilight Zone episode. The only people I saw outside were construction guys in full protective gear fixing the street and a crowd around a small 7/11 convenience store who were buying the place out and drinking beer in the parking lot. Afterwards, I spent a half hour each time scrubbing down the interior of the car. Working out their taxes, stress baking and cooking and cleaning to keep my parents well-fed and healthy, shopping for food and medicine, dealing with double charges on credit cards. I should be writing and working, but I can't motivate myself.

I feel guilty but relieved that I'm not in NYC because it's become a disaster area from what I understand - and states like Rhode Island are actually trying to physically block New Yorkers from entering their state through road blocks. I don't even want to say what I think of the government response (or lack of one).

Rereading Tuchman's The Guns of August right now and thinking about the end of WWI and the nightmarish time of 1917-1918 - how people suffered from plague, famine, war, revolutions and truly abominable political decisions all around. Everyone was convinced that the apocalypse was right around the corner and most countries turned to the most destructive conspiracy theories and religious fervor. What I find the most interesting is how shocked people are today to discover that not much has changed - the historical stories of the past become extremely relevant again. I guess those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it in a constant state of surprise that we haven't outgrown human nature.

I just read about a major company in Austin, TX that sent out letters to its employees saying they had the right to garnish their stimulus checks, including any extra money for dependent children. The form is called "Employee Acknowledgment of Government Assistance Pay Reduction" and I'm not sure why they think they're entitled to checks that WORKING employees are receiving. No name has yet been revealed, but it's a national company that makes hundreds of millions of dollars in profit a year. They also state that they have to right to grab any other check that the government might send. There are all lot of companies based in Austin from Dell to Whole Foods to Alamo Drafthouse to Yeti Coolers to Cisco to gaming companies - I'm sure it will be revealed soon and I'm guessing the backlash will be fierce.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
          Good. I hope the bastard suffers.
          I wanted to say "nah na na nah na" when I originally posted the news, but I refrained

We are nearing the end of the second week of lockdown in Germany. We are expecting another two weeks at least, maybe even three or four. People are still calm and rather optimistic. Many businesses will be affected and there will be many many bankruptcies once this is over. On the plus side, our death toll is still amazingly low. We are fourth by number of infections with only the U.S., China, Italy, and Spain ahead of us but we still have less than 400 deaths. However, people are expecting it to rise significantly because it seems young people have been infected first and as the virus is starting to spread to older people too we will get more critical cases.

My eight-year-old hast finally started reading books. Yay.

ETA: Three more weeks of lockdown have just been announced by our government.

flow
          Last edited by flow; 28-03-20, 01:22 PM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• American Aurora-

My sister is fine: it was just a cold...

But she is working 10-hour days (from home), as
            she is on one of San Francisco's virus task forces...

There will be many unforeseen consequences: SF
            has the lowest teen pregnancy rate in the country,
            in part due to the work my sister has done over the
            past decade, but they had to close all of the teen
            clinics to redeploy healthcare workers to handle
            the virus... Now teens have to go to SF General to
            get birth control-that means a long bus ride, metal
            detectors, IDs, &c.... If you were 16 and going to
            sneak out, would you take a long trip for birth
            control-your neighborhood clinic (where you
            could just drop in, no ID needed, no questions
            asked) being closed-or a short trip to meet
            your lover to have the comfort of sex in these
            peculiar times...?*

Of course the official choice makes sense, given
            the demands on an increasingly stressed
            healthcare system-and it is not nearly as
            bad here as it is in NYC or in cities like
            New Orleans, where the health care system
            was already abysmal-but it gives you pause,
            thinking about how the choices we are having
            to make are going to eddy out across the
            entire society over the longer term...

I am glad to hear that you are not, yourself,
            in NYC, American Aurora-as you were in
            my worried thoughts, along with all of my
            friends there...

I understand about writing: I have been working,
            but even though I have not lost much except
            part of my daily routine-morning trips to my
            psychoanalyst and my cafe to read-the pall
            created by the current suffering, the intensified
            suffering to come, here and across the world-
            it disrupts... Am trying to write a bit out of it
            for a while every day-nothing profound is
            emerging, nothing I would want to inflict upon
            the world, but it gives a bit of a release, helps
            me get back to my main focus...

Your news about the company in Austin, alas,
            does not surprise me: the logic of late global
            capitalism at work again... I only hope their name
            is revealed, that they are shamed into retreating
            upon their attempts to profit from this disaster,
            from people already pushed to the economic
            and emotional edge-

May all of you take all care-

Especially Francy-

And others in other highly infected areas-

You are in my thoughts-

*It is, of course, easy to say that no one should
            be sneaking out for anything, but hormones...
            Especially for teens in problematic home
            situations, situations where comfort is not
            only scarce but non-existent, where abuse is
            more likely to be on the increase...

Comment

• Francy
              Francy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!! x

• Your post made me remember a great story I saw out of Belgium. I went back to find it to share only to discover it was fake.

that's the problem with world these days, you never know if you can trust what yours reading. I wish there was global rules around labeling editorial and satire.
            Satirical headlines often spread in screenshots, as was the case with purported news out of Belgium involving COVID-19 and (small) sex parties.
            Last edited by GoSpuffy; 29-03-20, 04:15 PM.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• Trudeau's wife has recovered and Ontario actually got through a significant chunk of it's test backlog yesterday with the percentage of positive tests holding steady rather then jumping. In less great news a 40-something grocery manager with no health conditions died, and a 2nd employee at the store has got it. They say the store was deep cleaned but who knows really?

Comment

• American projections are staggering .
                On CNN?s State of the Union Sunday, the leading U.S. authority on the COVID-19 pandemic made some grim predictions about the course of the novel coronavirus as it rages through communities within the United States. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the longtime director for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and emerging face of American [?]

Comment

• I am surprised no one is posting here. It is scary on the east coast of America. Glad not to be in New York, but so many are, including some of my family.

Present status: somewhat stressed.

You?

Please stay safe!

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                    GoSpuffy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good to hear you're okay. What city are you in?

• I think it has been long enough now that the reality it isn't likely to change swiftly is really settling in. I don't feel scared because I'm staying at home, but I keep trying to remind myself that that in itself is no guarantee we'll all stay well. It feels strangely distant and yet also present and looming.

Comment

• Tired, sore, cranky. I think I overdosed on Buffy. Last night instead of dreaming my mind insisted on writing a Buffy fic while I was neither awake nor truly asleep. I wouldn't mind having a true Buffy dream without that authorial voice telling me what happens next.

Stupid question here - how do I set the font size on the board? I know I've done it before but I am too dumb to figure it out right now.
                    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It isn't consistent though because another of your posts that you made after this one is smaller. I'll raise it as a tech question and see if Ehlwyen or Rosely can see your customisation settings because I can't access those.

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've tried to look into this and the user customisation seems to be for your profile page. Short of amending one of the site styles the only way to change your font size is in the individual posts themselves I think. Sorry there doesn't seem a wider 'fix'.

• bespangeled
                      bespangeled commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, Stoney!

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                    I think it has been long enough now that the reality it isn't likely to change swiftly is really settling in. I don't feel scared because I'm staying at home, but I keep trying to remind myself that that in itself is no guarantee we'll all stay well. It feels strangely distant and yet also present and looming.
                    I very much like your last sentence-

It captures the disorientations of these
                    peculiar times so perfectly-

As for me, all continues the same, although
                    I only know what day it is by the reminders I
                    set to make my zoom sessions with my
                    analyst...

Tomorrow I'll be discussing Melville's "Bartleby
                    the Scrivener: A Tale of Wall Street" with one
                    of the students I tutor...

I would prefer not to.

All thoughts, all care, all-

Comment

• Still working as normal. Getting out of the house and going to work means not a lot has changed for me. We are getting standby days, in which we 'work' from home, though there's nothing we can actually do at home.

Comment

• Just out of curiosity does Trump have a daily briefing? I see some crazy stuff on tv but I'm not sure if his press conferences are daily. Trudeau does a daily speech to the nation at 11am EST, 8am PST. Mostly he just assures us that the government is there for us and we will receive aid. Quite a bit of the time he reminds us of our national values, that we are to care for each other and support each other and we give particular attention to the most vulnerable in our society. He's been doing it since about march 11th I think.

I can't help but wonder if that is common. Is every nation getting a daily pep talk? A call to rise to their best? This must be how it was in the great wars and the depression. Everyone coming together as a nation, striving to be their best. His speeches have a huge audience tuning in every day.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                          Just out of curiosity does Trump have a daily briefing? I see some crazy stuff on tv but I'm not sure if his press conferences are daily. Trudeau does a daily speech to the nation at 11am EST, 8am PST. Mostly he just assures us that the government is there for us and we will receive aid. Quite a bit of the time he reminds us of our national values, that we are to care for each other and support each other and we give particular attention to the most vulnerable in our society. He's been doing it since about march 11th I think.

I can't help but wonder if that is common. Is every nation getting a daily pep talk? A call to rise to their best? This must be how it was in the great wars and the depression. Everyone coming together as a nation, striving to be their best. His speeches have a huge audience tuning in every day.
                          I'm not sure one could properly call them "briefings"-

He stands up there for two hours a day and blusters
                          about how wonderfully he is doing...

Periodically, he blames Democratic governors and
                          other politicians for any problems-

There is increasing tension between him and Fauci,
                          although, at least, he does not dare, it seems, fire
                          the doctor, who does have the trust of the public-

And if a reporter asks a question about what is really
                          going on, one that discomforts him, he becomes angry,
                          refuses to answer, denies responsibility, &c.-

The Washington Post recently did a piece contrasting his
                          presentations with those of every other country: where he
                          stands front and center, sucks up all the air in the room,
                          and turns the event into a campaign stunt, other leaders
                          either appear with medical experts, who do most of the
                          talking, or do not appear at all, ceding the stage to the
                          doctors, who then give the public all the information they
                          have, so that people will understand what is going on
                          and perhaps feel a little less powerless, since they can
                          see that knowledgeable doctors, scientists, and others
                          are doing all they can and being as transparent as they
                          can be about the situation-

No such luck here, and no coming together: the man's
                          briefings only work to further divide, certainly further
                          feed the engulfing maelstrom, are far, far from
                          FDR's Fireside Chats...

Last edited by StateOfSiege97; 12-04-20, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• I'm unfamiliar with "FDRs fireside chats " but it sounds like what we may be experiencing. I'm not a liberal or a Trudeau supporter but I've never felt such pride in being Canadian. Covid19 has united us and brought us the face of adversity .

Comment

• StateOfSiege97
                              StateOfSiege97 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Between 1933-44, FDR would make radio addresses to the nation about his efforts to deal with the Great Depression and, then, WWII. He spoke in an informal, conversational, respectful manner to the people, informing them of what the situation was, what was being done, what remained to be done.

• BTW should I add it really goes against the grain to feel pride in country and to speak about it in a way that might make others uncomfortable. I truly dont mean to offend other nationalities

Comment

• Priceless
                              Priceless commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Don't be daft, being proud of your country is a good thing. It's only bad when you put other countries down, otherwise I applaud national pride.

• StateOfSiege97
                              StateOfSiege97 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I abhor all nationalism-it is always puts one on a slippery slope into valuing the lives of one's country people above all others, the fate of one's country above all others... And that way lies the depths of unethicality... One does nothing to be born in a particular country: it is a matter of fate, nothing to be proud of... Although, if that country be powerful-and a force of badness in the world-it does impose a certain obligation upon one.

• My lawn needs mowing and I don't know if I'm allowed to go out and do it. I go into the garden all the time, especially in the last few days as the weather has been lovely. But only into the back garden were no one will pass by or even see me. The front garden is open to the path and I don't know if mowing the lawn will put me too close to walkers/joggers. Strange times 'eh, when this is an issue.

Comment

• Well if that helps at all you are not allowed to mow your lawn in Germany on Sundays. It's nothing to do with Corona. It's a general rule.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Originally posted by flow View Post
                                Well if that helps at all you are not allowed to mow your lawn in Germany on Sundays. It's nothing to do with Corona. It's a general rule.

flow
                                It's virtually the opposite in the UK, Sunday's are for those sort of jobs like mowing your lawn and cleaning your car

My car needs cleaning too, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X