No announcement yet.

How's everybody holding up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well here in the UK cases are very slowly rising yet again due to our governments incompetence. We're waiting to see If the fools are going to go ahead with their insane plans to open everything up again, but seeing how the numbers are rising I hope not.

Comment

• I feel terrible that so many people are refusing to get the vaccine in the US when there's such a shortage elsewhere. I was in a store earlier today and a pharmacist was running around the store begging people to get a shot. We've got millions of doses just sitting here - they're plentiful, they're free, they're Moderna and Pfizer, and we still have only 50% of adult Americans vaccinated. Governors in certain states are passing all kinds of anti-vax crap - actively discouraging people from getting the vaccine. It's unbelievable how many people in my country think COVID-19 is a plot or a fake or a microchip invented by Bill Gates and George Soros to make us all into Robot Slaves for Satanic pedophile overlords.

I continue to wear my mask - and get glares from jerks who apparently think I'm crazy because I care about people who cannot get vaccinations because of medical issues and worry about variants created by anti-maskers who lie about being vaccinated. The Qanon conspiracy kooks are now attending conventions in which they trade theories of world domination and dream about bloody coups of state and Federal governments.

Meanwhile, we continue to pass the most atrocious anti-voting laws that are just a few racist degrees away from the 1920s in the Deep South as our infrastructure falls apart and housing and education become pursuits only for the wealthiest of Americans.

So many countries are now run by autocrats who rule through populist resentment and ethnic/religious hatred.

I wish I could say that things will improve - but I dunno. Feeling a little pessimistic tonight. The news is too depressing - here and around the world.

Comment

• American Aurora It is astounding what some people choose to believe. And there are always going to be a bunch of people that look at things through a very warped lens. But you aren't isolated in your perspective on things, even if it feels at times like you're wading against the tide. I've been baffled by how few people still wear masks on the school run when it is so busy and impossible to distance well. I think it is a combination of denial, desperation for things to be back to how they were and unrealistic optimism. It is possible we could be walking ourselves into another wave with the increased leniency being allowed for everyone. But hopefully enough people will be careful and consider the changes they make that it'll balance to the side of good. I appreciate the fatigue that many feel with it all and there is plenty that I miss from my old life and have enjoyed starting to get touches back in the last few days. But some caution is definitely still needed.

Comment

• Toronto itself has recently hit 70% of adults with one dose. Ontario as a whole is a little under that I believe. And they're saying by next week Canada should lead the world in terms of one-dose uptake.

The stay-at-home order ended in Ontario but nothing is open. We have the slowest plan for reopening in all of Canada. They've scrapped regional reopening to avoid region-hopping but that's just delaying everyone and creating more resentment. Our overall case numbers are really falling. Though on the other hand we have the smallest ICU capacity per-capita in North America. It's still in the 500s. 350 was the critical number. Tentative June 14th for 4 people on a restaurant patio and 15% store capacity in most retail. And until then, you still can't buy arbitrarily non-essential items at big box or discount stores. Even if you order online they can't actually sell you the items on the shelfs and you have to wait for it to ship from the warehouse, then do curbside pickup. Not very efficient, especially for things like clothes. They may speed it up by a bit especially now that they've officially closed schools for the rest of the year. (Another mess, the medical community was essentially saying open schools would be better for the kids; it would cause an uptick in cases but it could be manageable. But we'd probably have to delay reopening anything else. Not good for a government still in political survival mode with an election next year). But they're also married to a 21 day minimum period between the steps. No haircuts till July, probably no gyms until August. And even at the end of the final Step 3, it's still not a full reopening and no end to masking planned either. Meanwhile, most other provinces have firm reopening dates/vaccination targets in place for everything and masks are due to end at some point in the summer.

They are hiring a new CMOH for the province in late June. The new guy is regional MOH for Kingston where they've had a total of 3 deaths the entire pandemic. By then we should be close to Step 2 so they're clearly trying to turn the page. The new guy seems very respected by the medical community. Interestingly, he was part of a recent report recommending the federal government scrap the mandatory hotel quarantine for air travelers because it's ineffective in multiple ways with a lot of loopholes. But one of the key things the provincial government keeps blaming is the "porous borders" the federal government has allowed, and they keep calling for more border restrictions; not less. I'm interested to see how that translates.

The province also flip-flopped in less then 24 hours about letting some fully-vaccinated healthcare workers watch a hockey game in person. Montreal is basically letting a full stadium in, we only allowed 550 healthcare workers. I wouldn't be surprised if the government was slightly relieved the Leafs chocked so spectacularly to avoid the optics issue of stadium crowds from occurring again.

I will say Ontario's medical messaging is really doom-and-gloom. I think we're the only jurisdiction seriously talking of a 4th wave and that the new variant could send us right back to where we were in March; but so far places like the UK seem reasonably stable even with the variant taking over.

I have enjoyed the Arthur memes today though.
          Last edited by DanSlayer; 02-06-21, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Bad week.

My Dad has Prostate Cancer(thankfully it hasn't spread to other parts of his body).
            The kitchen stove stopped working.
            The bathroom light doesn't work.
            And I have no hot water so I can't shower.
            My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Double Dutchess
              Double Dutchess commented
              Editing a comment
              Best wishes to your dad, and good luck with the rest too. (Things can really pile up, can't they -- and when you're dealing with big things, the additional burden of the small ones can just get too much.)

• DanSlayer
              DanSlayer commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry to hear this, good luck to your Dad and hopefully your home repairs won't take too long.

• bespangeled
              bespangeled commented
              Editing a comment
              It's actually the best form of cancer to have. We've been through it a few times in the family. I hope both you and your father are doing better soon.

• I'm so, so sorry to hear this. I do hope things across the board improve for you soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lostsoul666 View Post
              Bad week.

My Dad has Prostate Cancer(thankfully it hasn't spread to other parts of his body).
              The kitchen stove stopped working.
              The bathroom light doesn't work.
              And I have no hot water so I can't shower.
              I’m really sorry to hear about your father. I’ve been there when bad news is followed by everything else going wrong. Sometimes life feels so unfair - especially when something happens to someone you love.

But it’s good to hear that it hasn’t spread. There are incredible treatment options for prostate cancer that hasn’t metastasized - with really excellent outcomes. I have two friends who both had prostate cancer - somewhat advanced, but neither had gotten to stage four. The first was diagnosed twenty years ago and the second almost fifteen years ago and had his prostate removed. They’re both doing well now with no recurrence. Thankfully, medical advances since then have made it even more treatable.

Hope your stove and bathroom light and shower are fixed soon and it doesn’t put you too much out-of-pocket if you own your own place.

Comment

• Almost 2 weeks ago, I got the first dose of the vaccine Moderna, with almost no side effects.
                Since I work for a bank, in the department of corporate banking, with an overcrowded workplace, I worked in smart working for 8-9 months. This week I restarted to work in presence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nothing13 View Post
                  Almost 2 weeks ago, I got the first dose of the vaccine Moderna, with almost no side effects.
                  Since I work for a bank, in the department of corporate banking, with an overcrowded workplace, I worked in smart working for 8-9 months. This week I restarted to work in presence.
                  Are there a lot of others who have changed at the same time or are they staging the return to the office?

Comment

• I have an appointment set for my second shot. I am a "mix and matcher". Pfizer is being given out 8 weeks apart. Astrazeneca is 12 weeks apart. I'm getting one of each 12 weeks apart. Studies seem to indicate this is a good decision.

My manager has decided we will be remote workers moving forward. We will only go to the office if necessary.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• I am sure this is what new work life will look like in many places in a post-Covid-10 area. Co-working spaces with flexible offices and desks and people working from their home office a lot. Conferences being held via Zoom or similar options.

I will be getting my second shot next week. I am so happy to finally put this nightmare behind me.

flow

Comment

• Ummm, I hate to depress you, but you can still catch it, it's just less likely to kill you? And yes, you can still spread it to others, but to a lesser degree. Also it's looking like the Indian variant is far more aggressive and the current vaccines aren't working quite as well against it sadly.

Comment

• I don't find this depressing at all. Biontec does work against the Indian variant if you are fully vaccinated and there are many diseases out there that I can catch without risk of dying. I mean ... no one said we would never get sick. I never expected that. The vaccine makes the difference between a life-threatening pandemic and just another disease. To me, that's a good thing.

flow

Comment

• Oh It's an improvement from last year of course. Everyone knows that, but it's not safe for a lot of people myself included. And they still don't know how much of 'long Covid' is lessened by this vaccine, especially the Indian variant. So people who are vaccinated have to take care or risk killing others, something (judging by the folks that live around where I am) don't seem to want to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                              Oh It's an improvement from last year of course. Everyone knows that, but it's not safe for a lot of people myself included. And they still don't know how much of 'long Covid' is lessened by this vaccine, especially the Indian variant. So people who are vaccinated have to take care or risk killing others, something (judging by the folks that live around where I am) don't seem to want to do.
                              I do not understand why so many people are averse to masks and social distancing until we manage to contain COVID. It's completely crazy. Don't they understand that there are people who are in grave danger if they get it - people who can't always get the vaccine because of medical issues? Reading about certain hospitals in the US firing hundreds of nurses and doctors who REFUSE to get vaccinated just boggles my mind - how can you work in the medical profession with very ill people and not care about infecting them?

Of course, I guess this question is answered by the nurse who had a press conference the other day, claiming that the COVID vaccine caused people to become magnitized - and then tried to demonstrate how metal things like keys and bobby pins would stick to your neck. Needless to say, the demonstration was a failure.

https://www.businessinsider.com/anti...agnetic-2021-6

I mean, what can you say about people like this? How can you possibly reach them when they can't even believe the evidence of their own eyes and actions?

Comment

• A nurse said that? Christ what the hell is wrong with some people!??

Comment

• Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
                                  I mean, what can you say about people like this? How can you possibly reach them when they can't even believe the evidence of their own eyes and actions?
                                  Wow, I mean just wow.

So, the article quotes her as saying:
                                  "So I have a key and a bobby pin here," she continued, proceeding to put a key on her chest, where it stayed. "Explain to me why the key sticks to me."
                                  She then put the key on her neck, where it fell off. Trying the same thing with a bobby pin, it fell off.

No fear, I think I've got this....
                                  "I'd guess you're nervous and you sweat more from the skin on your chest than you would your neck. Plus, your neck is more verticle whereas the slight angle of your chest will help the key to stay there longer. The bobby pin will be more difficult to get a contact 'stick' with because it has less surface area and your finger will probably counter the pressure as you pull it away because the bobby pin is lighter. Aaaand you just pressed the key, probably making better contact to the flatter, firmer area of your chest than you managed to succeed with the neck area. Try your forehead, that'd probably be more successful than your neck. I'd suggest going out and finding people that haven't had the vaccination but are warm and try sticking your key on their chest and forehead. I'm expecting your going to tell me it sticks regardless."

Comment

Working...
                                  X