2020 U.S. Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flow
    Now, it is easy to laugh about the whole sad business, to mock Trump, and to call him insane. But I think it's a mistake to do so because it would completely underestimate how dangerous he is.
    This. Had the exact conversation with someone today. The comments BTL in the UK's right-wing press are all accusing Trudeau of stealing the election - reference to Dominion machines etc. The damage Trump's done to Western Democracy is immeasurable. Just a sample of the comments (complete with typos).

Just like in the USA, YET ANOTHER RIGGED ELECTION, THE NEXT ELECTION TO BE RIGGED WILL BE IN GERMANY NEXT MIONTH. (52 likes / 7 dislikes).

There is no way this weak woke won....predictably fixed! (ditto 52 likes / 7 dislikes).

Justin Castro is not liked. They're obviously now rigging these elections everywhere favoring Globalist puppets who support Klaus Schwab's Great Reset and 6uild 6ack 6etter. (99 likes / 4 dislikes).

Trump's divisiveness has contaminated everything. We're going to have to re-live US 2020 every time there's an election in a Western country. I want it on record that I absolutely loath him.
    sigpic

Comment

• TriBel all of canada votes with pencil and paper, there are no voting machines. Elections Canada runs the vote nationally so we all have the same system.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• THE NEXT ELECTION TO BE RIGGED WILL BE IN GERMANY NEXT MIONTH.
        I wonder who is supposed to steal it from whom. For six months we have had polls that show the three biggest parties to be quite close to each other. Sometimes one is up, sometimes the other and sometimes the third one. So, who is the winner that the election will be stolen from?

GoSpuffy
        all of canada votes with pencil and paper, there are no voting machines. Elections Canada runs the vote nationally so we all have the same system.
        Yup, same here. Pen and paper. One country, one system.

​​​​​​​flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• GoSpuffy
          @flow

Don't tell me - join the Daily Mail Online and tell them.

We have pencil and paper - and the same system (might be slightly different for N.Ireland). In fact, it never occurred to anyone that this could be a problem until 2017 when conspiracy theorists decided they could be erased so the Electoral Commission said "If it bothers you that much, bring your own pen" (I'm paraphrasing). We don't have to show ID - not even the card they send you to tell you you're eligible to vote. You just tell them who you are and where you live and they tick you off the register. In 2019, 595 cases of alleged electoral fraud were investigated by the police. This includes 9 different types of elections - General, Local, European etc. and of these 565 cases, four led to a conviction and two individuals were given a police caution. Four - F.O.U.R - 4 - out of millions and millions of votes cast...and what does our idiot government want to do? Introduce ID to combat Electoral Fraud (which will make it more difficult for some groups to vote). That's the impact of US 2020. Sheer madness.
          sigpic

Comment

• As an American I'm scared for the future of my country. I'm especially scared about the 2024 election. If the Republican canadate loses in 2024 the systems that we have in place may not work to stop an overturn of the will of the American people next time due to the red states working to change voting laws.
            My deviantart: http://vampfox.deviantart.com/

Comment

• GoSpuffy
              GoSpuffy commented
              Editing a comment
              Alot of the rest of the world is scared for you too.

• I am just plain scared.

Comment

• The Arizona audit results have been released and Trump has lost again. This never gets old.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                GoSpuffy commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea! I was pretty sure they were destroying ballots to change the result

• On Twitter: Every time Joe Biden wins Arizona an angel gets its wings.

Apparently, the UK has no fuel and no food - or at least no one to deliver it (and no CO2 to stun it/kill it and preserve it). We've asked Brazil to lend us "emergency food" and we have "10 days to save Christmas".
              Let me think of a way of blaming it on Trump.
              sigpic

Comment

• flow
                flow commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, he said you should take your country back - he didn't say you had to forego fuel and food in exchange. He's totally to blame ;-)

• TriBel
                TriBel commented
                Editing a comment
                flow - that'll do - thanks! Got any drivers? Seems we've changed our minds about visas. I can't keep up with it. They make more u-turns than a faulty sat-nav.

• I'm tuned into the Arizona live feed for the audit announcement. They're claiming the leaked report was fake. It's so depressing to read Trump fanatics announcing themselves from Norwich and Lincoln. It's even more depressing to read "​WE MUST START LYNCHING TRAITORS AGAIN". It's scarily cult-like. I think I'm closing the site.
              sigpic

Comment

• Given that Canada will probably be back at the federal polls sometime in 2023, I'm a little...cautious here as well. Provincially seems like Ford has kept his own party together (unlike Alberta) and I think he has a real chance at reelection next June. He's not really been seen these last few weeks; but I don't think the opposition is particularly strong, nor will they be able to pounce on his pandemic performance too much despite it's flaws and the healthcare sector not being happy with him.
                Last edited by DanSlayer; 24-09-21, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• PuckRobin
                  PuckRobin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As much as I despise Doug Ford, thank heavens for our continued survival that at least he’s not Jason Kenney.

• Off topic but the two Michael's are coming home! Over 1000 days imprisoned in China because Canada arrested Meng Wanzhou trying to flee the US. Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig suffered tremendously over the Huawei affair.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• Priceless
                  Priceless commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's good news!

• Returning from my duty as a poll worker in today's election in Germany I just wanted to describe shortly how elections work in our country.

First of all, every German has to be registered in his local community. This isn't only needed for voting. It is the law that everybody needs to register and to have an ID and most Germans comply. You can't get social welfare, you can't rent a flat, you can't get an ID if you are not registered. If you are homeless you can register at a shelter. If you are in jail you are registered there.

About six weeks before an upcoming election the local community sends out an invitation to everyone who is eligible for voting. You can either apply for mail-in-ballots with this invitation, or you can check-in for early person voting with the invitation or you walk into your local poll station on election day with this invitation. If you have lost the invitation it's no big deal. You simply show your ID and you are still allowed to vote.

At the poll office, there is a list with everyone who has gotten an invitation. Those who have already voted early or have applied for the mail-in ballot are marked and can't vote again. Everyone else gets a ballot as long as they are on the list. The ballot itself is a sheet of paper where you tick the box next to your favorite party, fold it (the candidate of the CDU failed to do it correctly today which was hugely embarrassing), and put it into a box. At the end of the day, all ballots get unfolded, counted, sorted, and then the votes are hand-counted twice.

That's it. We are done, we have results pretty soon and no one screams "Fraud". Easy-peasy lemon squeezy.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• oh flow

how sane and decent...

from the usa, sending admiration
                  and envy....

(sentiments intensified by having had to
                  vote, recently, in the idiotic, monstrously
                  expensive, recall election against our
                  California governor Gavin Newsom—if
                  not for whose actions, whose shutting
                  down of the state earlier than any other,
                  we might look like Florida... he defeated
                  it handily, but, still... )

Last edited by StateOfSiege97; 27-09-21, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• flow
                    we have results pretty soon and no one screams "Fraud". Easy-peasy lemon squeezy.
                    Ours is very similar except I'm not sure you have to fold them and I think it's a cross next to the candidate's name. That said, there was one cast for the Scottish National Party which had “Wank, wank, good guy, wank” and they deemed that acceptable so I reckon a tick, a “Yes”, or a smiley face are likely to be accepted.

We do have some "cheating". There's usually a race to see who can complete the count first and it's been claimed that Sunderland rigged the traffic lights so their ballot boxes got from the polling stations to the counters before any other constituency.

We tip the votes out of the boxes then count to make sure they tally with the number recorded at the station then we count the votes. There's no recount unless someone requests one and there's no official figure for a recount - the closest we've had is 7. We sometimes do recounts if someone hasn't got many votes and is in danger of losing their £500 deposit - which is kind of them. If it's a draw they toss a coin or draw straws (though, in fairness, that's local, not general, elections). Our polling stations close at 10. The first results are usually in by 12 (usually traffic-light manipulating Sunderland) and it's usually safe to call the election before breakfast.

We have joke candidates - a fish finger, a space lord and Elmo have all stood. Screaming Lord Sutch's "Monster Raving Loony party" was a regular but recently we had Lord Buckethead (yeah...he had a bucket on his head). Extracts from his manifesto:
                    • Katie Hopkins to be banished to the Phantom Zone.
                    • Legalisation of the hunting of fox-hunters.
                    • Nationalisation of Adele
                    • Nuclear weapons: A firm public commitment to build the £100bn renewal of the Trident weapons system, followed by an equally firm private commitment not to build it. They’re secret submarines, no one will ever know. It’s a win win.

The process is kinda cool - it's just the elected Government that's a let-down.

Stoney - I think you're right. Perhaps we should have an election every 6 months so the process is fresh in our minds? Or do away with it all and just toss a coin?
                    Last edited by TriBel; 27-09-21, 10:29 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Stoney
                      Stoney commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think we have to fold them too, but I don't feel I can be seen as 100% reliable.
                  Working...
                  X