X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silver1
    Slayer
    • May 2015

Johnson and the Tories, the party that has dragged this country into the political mire. I cannot express how much I detest them all!

Comment

• TriBel
      Slayer
      • Dec 2017

I'm also bloody freezing. It's cold, wet and grey outside and I'm not turning the central heating on yet. I bought joggers and two sweatshirts from Primark on Sunday just to keep me warm in the house. I rarely shop at Primark and I've never worn joggers in my life! They've forced me into it with quadrupled gas prices. I'm going out tomorrow to buy curtain poles and curtains. I don't like curtains but I need to keep the heat in and the cold out. I'm also cancelling my monthly £30 payment to charity - I'm blaming the government for that. I hate myself for all the above but I hate Westminster more!

Priceless. I've always worn jeans and my uni sweatshirts in the house but jeans don't keep me warm. I feel I've been forced to capitulate to my age - as I did buying Skecher shoes. I've compromised by returning the shoes. I'll struggle through winter wearing my Docs.
      Last edited by TriBel; 28-09-21, 03:09 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
        Priceless commented
        Editing a comment
        I love joggers, live in them in the house (would never wear them outside tho)
    • TriBel
      Slayer
      • Dec 2017

Stoney
      Cases in primary schools around us are flaring. They stayed pretty clear so far so not surprising
      Cases in Manchester are below average. In the city itself, they're way below average and dropping but I suspect that's because people aren't having as many tests. Plus, it's mostly young professionals who live in the centre - many are still working from home and very few have school-age kids. I suspect there'll be a spike in a couple of weeks now the students are back. It's really the blase attitude that struck me most - particularly on public transport - it's as though the last 18 months never happened.
      sigpic

Comment

• Silver1
        Slayer
        • May 2015

I'm afraid some people are bloody idiots! There's no other word for it! The cases in my area of London have soared up since 'Freedom Day' *gag* with about 1 person a day on average dying from it. My Hospital publishes their statistics every week and I've been taking screen grabs of them since last year as I want to look back and see how this bloody pandemic has fluctuated.

For example here's todays

​​​​​​As of 8am on 28th September 2021 at Barts Health hospitals:
        • 95 in-patients have laboratory confirmed Covid-19
        • Of those with confirmed Covid-19, 3 were newly diagnosed in the previous 24 hours
        • 17 patients with confirmed Covid-19 are being cared for in critical care beds, or are on enhanced levels of oxygen.

As of 5pm on 27th September 2021 at Barts Health hospitals:
        • 1949 patients hospitalised with confirmed Covid-19 have sadly died
        • For the same period 18,576 inpatients hospitalised with confirmed Covid-19 have recovered and have been discharged
        Oh bloody great. This time last year there were far lower numbers in the critical wards for a start.

Comment

• TriBel
          TriBel commented
          Editing a comment
          "This time last year there were far lower numbers in the critical wards for a start". I know - that's what bothers me. Some people - including the Government - seemed to have drawn a line under the last 18 months and wiped it from memory.
      • TriBel
        Slayer
        • Dec 2017

Does anyone in the UK remember this?

It's stuck in my head because I'm doing a Lowry jigsaw - and I hate both the song and the jigsaw (it's hard). I began to appreciate Lowry when I read an essay by Paul Morley in his book The North. I've seen Lowry's paintings in Manchester Art Gallery and The Lowry in Salford. On the wall, they're really impressive and evocative of a time and place that no longer exists (the Ancoats slums have been gentrified and are home to Craft Beer Brewers and award-winning restaurants). But, close up the figures aren't "Matchstalk Men" and there are very few "Matchstalk Cats and Dogs". To put it bluntly, they look more like penises or turds or aliens. They're monstrous, not romantic. It's all very disconcerting - alienating and disappointing. I'm re-evaluating him. Sigh - today's been a really crap day.
        Last edited by TriBel; 28-09-21, 11:17 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• TriBel
          Slayer
          • Dec 2017

...and I don't care if I'm double posting, I'm not reading this on my own. I'm sharing it out of spite because the world is going to hell in a hand cart. I knew it happened but I didn't want to be reminded it happened And folk who live in New York are NOT allowed to say Ahhh! about...Toilet Rats!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ur-waste-pipes
          Last edited by TriBel; 28-09-21, 10:42 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            I like rats, but I don't want them in my loo.

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            I've recently had rats in my garden, so I wouldn't be surprised if one came out of the toilet bowl. I'm be bloody terrified, but not surprised
        • Silver1
          Slayer
          • May 2015

My God, that could be a perfect description of the Tory party.

Comment

• redtent
            Graveyard Patrol
            • Jul 2019

A question for people from GB, what's the thing with a lack of fuel. Or "petrol" as you Brits call it, I think.

Comment

• TriBel
              Slayer
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by redtent View Post
              A question for people from GB, what's the thing with a lack of fuel. Or "petrol" as you Brits call it, I think.
              There isn't - in theory - a lack of petrol (or "gas" as you call it)*. There's a shortage of tanker drivers to deliver it. Apparently, this shortage is worldwide - including the US and Europe. I say "apparently" because the Government is intent on telling a narrative that ensures no one blames Brexit for it. How much of it is due to Brexit is anyone's guess. There's definitely a general shortage of HGV or truck drivers - partly due to EU drivers abandoning the UK; partly due to British drivers retiring or retraining 'cos wages and conditions are shite; partly due to Covid which meant a) drivers were off ill and b) the licensing process slowed down. It's a perfect storm - made even more perfect by the most inept government in the history of inept governments.

BP (British Petroleum) made an announcement that they were closing some petrol stations temporarily (mostly on the South coast) because they were having problems making deliveries. BP said, "don't panic". Much of the media said "don't panic" by showing panicked people queuing at petrol stations. The Government said, "don't panic". The last was probably the straw that broke the camel's back because Government here consists of commensurate liars. It doesn't help that our Transport Secretary (allegedly) has 4 or 5 different names so no one knows who he really is. The PM - well he was busy wittering on about Kermit the frog being green then disappeared (probably into a fridge - long story) but not before announcing 5000 visas for EU drivers while saying "it's nothing to do with Brexit but here are another 5000 visas - can you also send us some poultry workers and fruit pickers, please?". I think the EU drivers gave him the finger - as did a (large?) section of the British public who went out to fill their cars (and cans and soda bottles) with petrol, thus ensuring shortages that may or may not have happened organically.

That's the gist of it. There wasn't a real shortage but the "not real shortage" could last for months so just in case Bozo the Clown is training up/putting on standby/not putting on standby 150 soldiers (delete according to whatever day of the week it is) to deliver fuel in the event of this "not real"/real shortage not ending or another one starting (not starting).

The only bit I'm absolutely sure about is Kermit is green.

*there could be a problem with actual gas (your natural gas) and electricity because we have no storage facilities for the former...mumble, mumble something about Russia...because there was a fire...because France supplies us with a lot of our electricity and - well, they're French..because our wind is crap...IDK. Kermit is definitely green.
              Last edited by TriBel; 29-09-21, 10:32 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• redtent
                redtent commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting. Thank you for explaining.
            • TriBel
              Slayer
              • Dec 2017

redtent Update: the Government's new word is "stabilising". In order to ensure the (real/not real/hyper-real) situation stabilizes more quickly, Westminster is releasing The Kracken a fleet of reserve tankers. No mention of this was made before.* I suspect they've only just remembered they have them/where they'd put them, or they've refurbished Bozo's water cannon or they're the equivalent of Xmas emergency chairs and they've borrowed them from Ireland. The reserve tankers will be driven by civilians. This begs the question of what "reserve civilian tanker drivers" have been doing when there's a shortage of actual civilian tanker drivers? Perhaps they've kidnapped them from Poland? Perhaps they're Cybermen or Jim Henson puppets? IDK.

None of this matters because only the elite can afford fuel. Petrol's forecast to hit 143p per litre for petrol and 145p per litre for diesel in the next few weeks (almost $2 a litre), up from 135/138p. The pound is sinking...thus there's justification for the crass "re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic" trope. On the plus side, the RW tabloids tell me the Duchess of wherever (Kate Thingy) is wearing a stunning purple trouser suit (I'm guessing the words "Purple Reign" feature strongly), so it's not all doom and gloom.

*Apparently, no one in the UK knew this select band existed. By "no one" I mean me and the people on Twitter who are tweeting about it. There's a cynical suggestion on Twitter that it didn't exist until this morning and came about when a large wad of cash was handed over to "a friend". I can't possibly comment and I'm not putting money on it until I can establish the odds.
              sigpic

Comment

• TriBel
                Slayer
                • Dec 2017

Argh! Finally switched the central heating on last night. I noticed the pressure was low but decided to leave sorting it today. Today came - I opened the valves - pressure went up - then stopped. Tried it again - same thing. Decided to ring someone to get it serviced. Found a company online and rang them. They booked an appointment for Saturday then asked for debit card details. I asked why - they said to hold the appointment. I gave them the card number and then they asked for the security number. I said No (I didn't say "no" - that's the abridged and heavily censored version of my response). To cut a long story short - I've ended up freezing my card. After a long discussion with a really nice lady at the bank, I've ordered a new card. This means I've got all the hassle of adding a new card to all my online accounts - and I'm still bloody cold!
                sigpic

Comment

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ugh what a total pain. I hope you're able to sort it out soon.

• Priceless
                  Priceless commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh no, that's a nightmare. I'm only putting the heating on in the morning when I'm up for work, otherwise I've been having a fire, but of course that only heats the front room, the rest of the house is a bit nippy
              • TriBel
                Slayer
                • Dec 2017

Oh no, that's a nightmare. I'm only putting the heating on in the morning when I'm up for work, otherwise I've been having a fire, but of course that only heats the front room, the rest of the house is a bit nippy
                I hate having any job done on the house (I hate the house but that's another story). It's not the cost: it's whether the workmen are reliable. To add insult to injury, the final mortgage payment is due in October so it's both shite and I totally own it!
                sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
                  Slayer
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by TriBel View Post

I hate having any job done on the house (I hate the house but that's another story). It's not the cost: it's whether the workmen are reliable. To add insult to injury, the final mortgage payment is due in October so it's both shite and I totally own it!
                  You wouldn't consider selling and getting something you like?

Comment

• Stoney
                    Well Spiked
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Go smaller and just think of all the DMs you could buy.

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                      Slayer
                      • Dec 2017

Happy Thanksgiving to all from Canada!

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• Priceless
                        Slayer
                        • May 2017

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians, hope you had a firework filled good time

Comment

• Stoney
                          Well Spiked
                          • Aug 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

• TriBel
                            Slayer
                            • Dec 2017

Stoney
                            Go smaller and just think of all the DMs you could buy.
                            I've put an embargo on DMs. The ones I've got will outlive me. I'd go smaller but...sigh...stuff.

Priceless
                            I consider selling all the time - I just can't conceive of anyone mug enough to buy it. I'd have to get an estate agent to show people around while I disappeared 'cos I'd just tell them how shite it is. Also, I'd worry about whether I was being ripped off. My best bet would be to part-ex it - then I know for certain I was being ripped off. Sigh - I don't know where to go! I'm only really tied by cost (and I suppose my mother) and I hate choosing. Options: Chester's pretty but boring (though it has a Labour MP). Shrewsbury's hilly and where it isn't hilly it floods (plus nasty Tory). Manchester - the cladding/leasehold issue put me off. Liverpool - I vacillate over it. If I about-turn and look at rural then Cheshire villages are too expensive; Staffordshire cheaper but not that well connected. Derbyshire, I've never really considered - Glossop's probably doable. I also looked at West Yorkshire but Todmorden and Hebdon both flood. The lads think I'm creating problems to justify my procrastination - they may be right.

Happy Thanksgiving Canada! Room for an aged immigrant?

Last edited by TriBel; 11-10-21, 12:14 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
                              Slayer
                              • May 2017

TriBel Your house cannot be in a worse state than mine, it's not possible

I had a small flood in my bathroom and I've decided to lay the new vinyl flooring myself. I've laid vinyl tiles before but never sheets. I've gone for cheap and cheerful, just incase I bugger it up. The B&Q help video made is seem very simple

Comment

• TriBel
                              Slayer
                              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              TriBel Your house cannot be in a worse state than mine, it's not possible

I had a small flood in my bathroom and I've decided to lay the new vinyl flooring myself. I've laid vinyl tiles before but never sheets. I've gone for cheap and cheerful, just incase I bugger it up. The B&Q help video made is seem very simple
                              Want a bet? My bathroom had carpet down so about 8 years ago I pulled it up. Half was covered in quarry tiles and half wasn't - plus it wasn't level. I levelled it with levelling compound (level is a relative term - ask Boris what it means) and bought ceramic tiles. To cut a long story short, I gave my mother the tiles because I couldn't be arsed to lay them and it's still half/half. Vinyl flooring's my next job - but it's been the next job for about 6 years. People say - "I'll visit you" and I say "Ok but you can't use the loo". It's a nice deterrent if you're anti-social but it's bloody cold if you step off the bath-mat.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
                                Priceless commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The reason I'm doing it is that a friend I've not seen in a decade plus is coming to stay. The flood happened about 5 years ago

• TriBel
                                TriBel commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Priceless
                                Shall we call it a draw?
                            Working...
                            X