Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    TriBel Your house cannot be in a worse state than mine, it's not possible

I had a small flood in my bathroom and I've decided to lay the new vinyl flooring myself. I've laid vinyl tiles before but never sheets. I've gone for cheap and cheerful, just incase I bugger it up. The B&Q help video made is seem very simple
    Want a bet? My bathroom had carpet down so about 8 years ago I pulled it up. Half was covered in quarry tiles and half wasn't - plus it wasn't level. I levelled it with levelling compound (level is a relative term - ask Boris what it means) and bought ceramic tiles. To cut a long story short, I gave my mother the tiles because I couldn't be arsed to lay them and it's still half/half. Vinyl flooring's my next job - but it's been the next job for about 6 years. People say - "I'll visit you" and I say "Ok but you can't use the loo". It's a nice deterrent if you're anti-social but it's bloody cold if you step off the bath-mat.
    sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
      Priceless commented
      Editing a comment
      The reason I'm doing it is that a friend I've not seen in a decade plus is coming to stay. The flood happened about 5 years ago

• TriBel
      TriBel commented
      Editing a comment
      Priceless
      Shall we call it a draw?

• What's on my mind...fuel poverty because of spiralling energy costs. Not that I'm in fuel poverty: on the contrary, I've paid little for the last 18 months since the supplier told me I'd overpaid by £2000. Nevertheless, I thought I'd make an effort and put curtains over my blinds to keep the heat in. What a bloody palaver. Not only have I discovered that keeping the curtains closed all day to save energy also means keeping a light on which wastes energy, I've had to trudge to the damn shop buying £200 curtains I liked and then trudge back to the shop when I realised I didn't like them. So far, I've returned 3 sets. The shop hates me and I hate myself.

However yesterday I had a breakthrough. I nipped into a charity shop to look for jigsaws and there were the curtains of my dreams. The right colour, the right size, heavy and a named brand - plus they'd been dry-cleaned so no creases. I came out of the shop with the curtains, a jigsaw and two books - all for £6.10. I've still got 3 pairs of curtains to return and I still haven't solved the light bulb quandary but I'm thinking small victories - baby steps.

flow @GoSpuffy

I've just knocked an oil burner over (luckily it was an electric one and not switched on) and that made me think of candles. I've got a cupboard full of them because a) it's compulsory to buy tealights when you visit Ikea and b) my sister buys my mother a box of Yankee Candles every Christmas and my mother gives them to me every Boxing Day. I've lit three - unfortunately, the block they sit on is under a lamp so it kinda defeats the purpose. I've also ordered a new Mathmos Lava lamp so it matches my £5 curtains. 's good, this economising lark!
    Last edited by TriBel; 14-10-21, 07:06 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• flow
      flow commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe light some candles?

• GoSpuffy
      GoSpuffy commented
      Editing a comment
      flow for the ambience or the heat?

• flow
      flow commented
      Editing a comment
      For light

• I've been in fuel poverty for bloody ages now. I haven't heated my home nor put the electric lights on after dark for at least the last 6 years or so. Just cannot afford to sadly. I use candles or a few LED fairy lights and thats it.

Comment

• TriBel
      TriBel commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry about that Silver. I'm sure there are going to be more people in a similar situation. These are scary times if you're not working or on a low income.

• Eldest rang last night. In the middle of the conversation, I said, "I've been to Shrewsbury today - went in Primark and bought a fleecy throw to put over my legs because of the draft. It's really warm." He sighed and said "This is the most *old person* conversation I've ever had with you" - then promptly hung up. I swear I could hear his eyes rolling in his head. I shoulda stuck with the candles.
    sigpic

Comment

• Disaster has struck. I took the side off the bath to get the vinyl flooring underneath and now I can't get the side back on. Anyone got any advice? Think it might just need brute force and bloody mindedness

Comment

Disaster has struck. I took the side off the bath to get the vinyl flooring underneath and now I can't get the side back on. Anyone got any advice? Think it might just need brute force and bloody mindedness
        What is the side of the bath made out of? If it is a plastic it might crack if you try to go with brute force.

Did the old flooring go under the side of the bath?

Comment

• Stoney , I took a hammer to it. It's an old style corner back, with a 'wooden' look side. The previous flooring was vinyl tiles, which I laid myself and the didn't go under the bath. Prior to that the previous owners had carpet, which I couldn't live with.

Comment

Stoney , I took a hammer to it. It's an old style corner back, with a 'wooden' look side. The previous flooring was vinyl tiles, which I laid myself and the didn't go under the bath. Prior to that the previous owners had carpet, which I couldn't live with.
            Does that mean you've smashed it?
            sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              No, just hammered it into place. It looks ok.

• Go for a free standing bath, they are quite the fashion!

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              When I get some cash maybe.

Stoney , I took a hammer to it. It's an old style corner back, with a 'wooden' look side. The previous flooring was vinyl tiles, which I laid myself and the didn't go under the bath. Prior to that the previous owners had carpet, which I couldn't live with.
            Has that successfully 'knocked' it in or, like TriBel said, smashed it up?!

Comment

• Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              It does sound like it might have been retired.

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              The bath is fine. I thought I might have ruptured a pipe, but no floods yet

• Stoney
              Stoney commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like brute force was a success then.

• Plague Island is trending again - and Morocco has banned flights to and from the UK. Seems we're a Covid epi-centre - again. What's the government doing? Nothing. Which is what they did the first time - and the second time. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result".
            sigpic

Comment

• GoSpuffy
              GoSpuffy commented
              Editing a comment
              Last time I looked the UK had recovered and had no worries. You do keep the news writers busy!

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              All publicity is good publicity GoSpuffy, at least the world still cares about little old GB

• Basically with these bunch of corrupt a holes in charge we're all f*cked!

Comment

• GoSpuffy
              Last time I looked the UK had recovered and had no worries. You do keep the news writers busy!
              That was Johnson bragging. The "Oxford Vaccine" is now AZ and the words "world-beating" are conspicuously absent from his inane ramblings...probably because the vaccine uptake's ground to a halt. Still, not all our standards have slipped. We might just have more cases than anyone else. The IMF has accused him of making a mess of both Covid and the Economy. They were too polite to mention Frosty the Slowman and Brexit.

The Health Secretary (a banker - that's not Cockney Rhyming Slang - he's an actual banker) made a statement today. It kinda went like this:

Gov: We're following the science and we want to protect the NHS.
              Scientists and NHS: Good - can you activate Plan B please because the curve is rising, there's a new strain and the NHS is in danger of being swamped?
              Gov: Sod off.

I suspect there isn't a plan B - any more than there's an A and a C. Plans of any description are anathema to them.

I'm waiting to see who arrives on Plague Island for COP26...with the exception of Biden, the headline acts have all pulled out...the Pope might do a set on video; Mexico can't afford it and Trudeau's turning up just before it starts (probably going to the pub first).

Last edited by TriBel; 21-10-21, 02:48 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                GoSpuffy commented
                Editing a comment
                Trudeau has had a bad week, he needs a vacation.

• Man Utd 0 - 5 Liverpool The booing is loud.

Edit: and Pogba is OFF! Down to 10 men.

Comment

Man Utd 0 - 5 Liverpool The booing is loud.

Edit: and Pogba is OFF! Down to 10 men.
              Thank you! I was avoiding the score! It'll please some fans more than a win - which would have helped consolidate Ole's position. There's a joke on the Guardian about Steve Bruce taking over - and playing him at centre-half.

I'm ignoring it and trolling Mail readers who think we should go back to the 1850s.
              Last edited by TriBel; 24-10-21, 06:24 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
                Priceless commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm listening to the phone in on 606 and the fans are not happy

• TriBel
                TriBel commented
                Editing a comment
                Priceless - it's 'Pool - I think some fans'd have preferred losing to City. Scholes predicted the comeback in midweek but said if they played like that against Liverpool they'd be slaughtered. I think Ole might have to go...but who do they bring in?

• I just did a Which Labour Politician Are You Most Like and I got David Lammy. Not sure how I feel about that

Comment

I just did a Which Labour Politician Are You Most Like and I got David Lammy. Not sure how I feel about that
                Most of Twitter seems to have got David Lammy. I got Lisa Nandy - I'm gonna try for John McDonnell. Reckon I need to tick Corbyn. - and I don't think "Boris is a dick" is in the least bit controversial. I think it's the consensus...even among his family.

Yay me!

John McDonnell
                You're deceptively fiery - on the outside you might look pretty unassuming and docile. But when you go on a mad one, people know about it. Plus you make for some great meme content.
                Last edited by TriBel; 25-10-21, 07:33 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Priceless
                  Priceless commented
                  Editing a comment
                  you could go for the whole set

• TriBel
                  TriBel commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Priceless - "the whole set" used to be 52 + plus 2 jokers. Now it's 54 jokers. I've told you - I'm gonna get a whippet (and possibly a flat cap) and vote for the Northern Independence Party - keeping Monster Raving Looney Party as a backup.

• I'm not sure I'll even know the politicians but I'm a total child when it comes to quizzes and games and I want to play too....

Comment

• Thanks Priceless .

I came out as David Lammy too and I've no idea who he is. Which says everything possibly about my level of engagement in politics. As did the fact that what I feel most passionate about (animal welfare and the environment) weren't within any of the options for the first question.

Comment

Working...
                X