No announcement yet.

What's cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just put Jamie Oliver's Tasty Vegan Lasagne in the oven. Here's a link to the recipe

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...vegan-lasagne/

I've not made it before, so hope it tastes better than it looks.

Comment

• GoSpuffy
      GoSpuffy commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks good but time consuming to make.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Just put Jamie Oliver's Tasty Vegan Lasagne in the oven. Here's a link to the recipe

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...vegan-lasagne/

I've not made it before, so hope it tastes better than it looks.
    Wow, that looks really good - love the wild mushrooms.

My only caveat as a San Francisco native - who grew up on North Beach chow - is why cheddar cheese??

I'd probably sub for vegan mozzarella and a smear of vegan cream cheese/ricotta. There are so many great brands. But then the Italian I grew up on was Sicilian, so I'd probably also throw in a ton of red bell pepper and spicy red pepper flakes as well!

Now cheddar on a tamale pie - that's heaven! I'm getting ready to make tamale pie today, in fact. One of my favorite "trash" dishes in the US. It's not completely vegan - I use a tiny bit of butter - but it can become vegan easily with plant-based butter.

Priceless, what brands of vegan cheese do you have access to? Miyoko's is amazing!

https://miyokos.com/pages/products

Also a call out to GoSpuffy - my mom makes your banana bread recipe weekly now. Thanks a billion for posting it!

flow, we just tried pecans and macadamia nuts (they were on sale) in place of walnuts in banana bread and they worked out pretty well. Almonds are good for the flour, but they get lost in the density of the bread. My mom has also used raisins soaked in rum in the past - and on thanksgiving, dried cranberries or cherries. I've even had dried apricot that a neighbor made once - it was pretty good. Lots of these are modifications of cornbread recipes - but they are equally yummy with banana and other loaf breads.

Just beware of coconut flakes - they sound good until you realize they've turned into hard chewy lumps in the loaf. Coconut flour/extract is a better addition if you want that flavor. The idea of chocolate chips sounds wonderful -or butterscotch chips! Now I'm hungry!
    Last edited by American Aurora; 16-06-20, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• flow
      flow commented
      Editing a comment
      Sadly my little one is allergic and that rules out pecans and macadamia nuts too. but I will try the chocolate chips. I am sure my son will love them .-9

I love mushrooms! I always add extra to any recipe. I am sure you could sub the cheese for your own favourites, even for a cream cheese (which I am sure would work really well). I love peppers, but I don't like anything too hot, so I just added minimal flakes.

I did my shop at Sainsburys this week and I got their Freefrom own brand vegan cheese, which is actually coconut based, though I couldn't taste coconut at all. They also do a Violife branded cheese, which I've not tasted. It's so easy now to buy vegan stuff, which is great. I remember years ago people would say they'd go veggie/vegan, but it cut down on the food they could buy, which is simply not true nowadays. (I'm veggie by the way, not technically vegan)

Miyoko's looks amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
      Banana Loaf
      1/4 cup butter
      1 cup sugar
      1 egg
      2 cups flour
      3 large ripe bananas
      1/3 tsp lemon extract
      1 cup walnuts
      1 tsp baking powder
      1/4 tsp salt

sift together dry ingredients

in a large bowl cream butter, add sugar, cream again, add egg, beat well, cut bananas small and add to mixture along with lemon extract.

add flour and nuts alternately. Bake in moderate oven for 1 hour. Perfect everytime.
      So what quantities does your mum use in grams American Aurora for GoSpuffy's recipe? I've really wanted to make it but my couple of attempts to look up Canadian cups against American cups has resulted in too many answers and I've chickened out.

I made a very unspicy version of the jambalaya with some vegan 'chorizo' sausages and it was really tasty. I could definitely get away with a bit more spicing though and would do so another time as the kids do eat hotter dishes than I made this the first time. I was a little more restrained than I needed to be.

Priceless I'll be really interested to hear what the lasagna was like because the ingredients sound lovely, although it doesn't look the prettiest dish. I'd always go for cheddar cheese on something like that American Aurora, something with a bit more strength and tang than a mozzarella. But I really like very strong, mature cheeses so I probably use it at times when in truth it drowns the other flavours.

Comment

• Stoney
        Stoney commented
        Editing a comment
        I measure weight in stones and height in feet. I used to cook in ounces but tend to use grams all the time now but I've never cooked in cups. I convert any recipes I get straight away when they are in cups but I've never heard of the Canadian cup being different before. I suppose these things are all proportionate so I should just pick one and change it all to grams.

• GoSpuffy
        GoSpuffy commented
        Editing a comment
        If it helps to visual every kitchen had a set of 4 cups that fit into each other cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup and four spoons, tablespoon, teaspoon, half teaspoon and 1/4 teaspoon. They're both commonly kept on rings so they're stuck together and sit in your drawer like Russian dolls. We also have a pyrex (clear glass) cup for liquids, it has measurements in metric , fluid oz and imperial. 1 cup equals 8 oz equals 250 ml

• Priceless
        Priceless commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm happy to report that the vegan lasagne was delicious.

I've been a pretty lazy cook during the pandemic but I felt like making something special for brunch. I had poached eggs with asparagus and a strawberry cake. Links to recipes below. Both were delicious! The only supstituton I made was instead of sour cream in the cake batter I used coconut cream with a tablespoon of lemon juice. I don't have a lot of dairy in the house and Google suggested this replacement which worked very well. I also used a silicone bunt pan instead of a spring pan so I reversed my layers so strawberries would still be on top when i took the cake out.

i think the reason canadians cook in imperial instead of metric is because that is what american videos use and they out number us on YouTube

https://youtu.be/CbvrEb4OMDc

This simple, elegant recipe combines three foods that Gwyneth Paltrow adores: fresh spring asparagus, tons of Parmesan and poached eggs.

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

Not being a good cook I try to make different things as I am forced to due to the whole situation around. Usually these are not some difficult things to cook. Mostly fried eggs, mashed potato and the likes but these are extremely delicious dishes imo

Comment

the nectarines are marvelous right now...

pure honey-

just made a pie:

local organic white nectarines
          local organic blackberries
          a touch of muscovado sugar
          a few squeezes of lime juice
          a dash of tequila
          1.5 tablespoons of Cup4Cup (swear by it, as i cannot have gluten)

plus my closely guarded pie crust recipe....

gave pieces to one of my neighbors, to share with his sister-

next up, in a few days, what will probably be the
          last cherry pie of the season-

we have not gotten sour cherries this year, alas, but
          the sweet ones have been lovely, and another neighbor,
          who just moved to a different unit in our complex and adores
          cherry pie, needs something to warm her new home....

then, over the weekend, a pluot-almond cream galette
          for my sister and brother-in-law...

my sister was just stupidly activated to san francisco's
          COVID-19 task force-stupidly because she had been
          the city health department's remaining expert on getting
          care to women, especially low-income women, and at-risk
          youth, had been working herself to exhaustion to do so
          once they closed all the neighborhood clinics at the start
          of the pandemic, and they have activated her without
          having anyone to take her former place, showing, once
          again, how little the city really cares about women's health-
          so she very much needs loving care....

besides, am back to writing a most recalcitrant essay, and
          baking calms-

Comment

• GoSpuffy
            GoSpuffy commented
            Editing a comment
            suddenly I'm overwhelmed with the desire to eat pie. this must be how dean winchester feels.

• American Aurora
            American Aurora commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, those sound so amazing. My favorite pie is lemon - not meringue - but real thick lemon pie with a sweet and sour kick. I used to buy it at a little place in the Mission District of SF called The Pie Shop. They’re no longer there. Sigh.

• StateOfSiege97
            StateOfSiege97 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh @AmericanAurora—
            thanks upon thanks...
            I make a lemon tart like that—
            my brother-in-law and sister adore it....

At SoG, that sounds really yum!

I made a big bowl of tabbouleh salad yesterday, that should last me several days. A lot of work with all the chopping of herbs and vegetables, but a very good dish for the extremely hot weather we're currently having.
          https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Proper crepes are really lush. I've never tried to make them at home as I don't have a crepe spreader or an appropriate frying pan (mine are too high sided). I might keep an eye out for a bargain and get the spreader if I ever get a pan that would work better. They would be a fun thing to experiment and play around with as I know they make such a wide variety in France, and you get a mix of savoury as well as sweet. It could almost perhaps be a lighter alternative to an omelette?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
              Proper crepes are really lush. I've never tried to make them at home as I don't have a crepe spreader or an appropriate frying pan (mine are too high sided). I might keep an eye out for a bargain and get the spreader if I ever get a pan that would work better. They would be a fun thing to experiment and play around with as I know they make such a wide variety in France, and you get a mix of savoury as well as sweet. It could almost perhaps be a lighter alternative to an omelette?
              I make crepes at home, but even with a crepe spreader and crepe pan, they come out like one of Dawn’s concoctions. I need one of those enormous professional crepe stands like you see throughout Europe.

There is a restaurant near me called Mon Ami Gabi that makes the most amazing crepes - both savory and sweet. Or at least they did before COVID. Sadly, they’ve taken most of them off the menu temporarily. They had a seafood crepe that was incredible and a banana fosters walnut crepe with homemade caramel sauce.

Comment

American Aurora Crikey, I didn't realise even more equipment might be needed! I'll need to keep an eye out for a bargain kitchen extension for storage too!

I hope Mon Ami Gabi manages to keep going until trade can pick up and they can offer their full menu again. There must be so many businesses that have been unable to sustain themselves with the reduced trade due to Covid. Hopefully as they've managed this long they'll bounce back.

Comment

I love Jamie Oliver's recipes, and I made some of the ones that he's pulled off in the shows throughout the years. As mentioned by other members, though, they require a lot of patience and time to make, and especially his desserts are not the easiest to recreate.
                  Last edited by Adikka; 05-05-21, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adikka View Post
                    I love Jamie Oliver's recipes, and I made some of the ones that he's pulled off in the shows throughout the years. As mentioned by other members, though, they require a lot of patience and time to make, and especially his desserts are not the easiest to recreate.
                    I'm a huge Jamie Oliver fan. I've worked through his Veg cookbook a couple of times. His recipes are so tasty, even though they do tend to have a ton of ingredients. I have bottles of pomegranate molasses and white truffle oil in my cupboard, no idea what to do with them

Comment

This is more baking than cooking, but I made a carrot cake. And it was good! I haven't make a cake since school, when I made a pineapple upside down cake. I am very proud of my cake, and just wanted to brag about it I took it to work and people loved it. My only issue was that I had to mix butter and cream cheese to make the icing but they didn't mix very well as I had no whisk and the butter didn't soften too well. Still tasted lovely.

Comment

• SpuffyGlitz
                        SpuffyGlitz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh I looove carrot cake! Congratulations I wish I could be adept at baking!

This is more baking than cooking, but I made a carrot cake. And it was good! I haven't make a cake since school, when I made a pineapple upside down cake. I am very proud of my cake, and just wanted to brag about it I took it to work and people loved it. My only issue was that I had to mix butter and cream cheese to make the icing but they didn't mix very well as I had no whisk and the butter didn't soften too well. Still tasted lovely.
                      Ah carrot cake is one of my absolute favourites, it's so tasty.

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh do redtent, you'll thank yourself . . . though your scales might not

• flow
                        flow commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well done, Pricey. I made my mom's apple cake last weekend. I never thought I would manage to make it resemble hers but it turned out okay!

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well done flow, it's quite stressful, but well worth it when you taste the result

I am making another carrot cake and I put the butter in the microwave for 5 seconds, which seems to have done the trick. The butter icing now looks very nicely mixed.

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This one wasn't as good as the first. I think I'll try something different next time. Any suggestions?

• flow
                        flow commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have my grandma's recipe for a typical German chocolate-biscuit cake called Kalte Schnauze (the name doesn't translate well) and it has actually been Kate and William's wedding cake

• flow
                        flow commented
                        Editing a comment
                        which is very funny because in Germany it's a children's birthday cake. I can send you the recipe if you want to give it a go.

I am making another carrot cake and I put the butter in the microwave for 5 seconds, which seems to have done the trick. The butter icing now looks very nicely mixed.
                      I'm impressed you're making it all by hand. I've gotten very lazy with baking and virtually always mix with the electric mixer now. Softening the butter so it combines more easily to do it by hand makes total sense.

Any chance of a pic of your creation?

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Not this time Stoney as it didn't turn out brilliantly. I think I put too much oil in. I've cut it up and put it in the freezer to make it last a while.

• Stoney
                        Stoney commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's going to be an epic baking journey if you're tweaking methods and ingredients. Very 'bake off'.

Priceless - I didn't think you were meant to soften butter in the m/wave because the fats separate (or something). That could be the "oil" problem. I always used to soften it in a 'bain-marie' (put it in a bowl standing in a bowl of hot water). Don't listen to me - I haven't baked in 20 years and I don't speak French. I'm actually quite good at it (baking not French).
                      sigpic

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                        GoSpuffy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My mum taught me not to melt but instead to cream butter so I agree (smush butter with a fork until it's soft)

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'll try this next time. I did smush it with a fork the first time GoSpuffy but it took soooo long I got bored and my arm ached

Priceless did you use vegetable or sunflower oil in the main cake mix instead of butter (which I think the Hummingbird carrot cake recipe I tend to use does)? I suppose if your butter was splitting at all then the combination with it being an oil based cake might have made the 'too oily' effect. Presumably the first time you made it, it didn't have the oil issue but the ingredient quantities were the same.

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The recipe calls for sunflower oil, but I'm pretty sure I put too much in, my measuring was quite slapdash.

• Stoney
                        Stoney commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, sunflower oil is what I've used. Cutting the butter into small cubes and leaving it for 30mins to get to room temperature might work better than fork smushing. Less effort too.

Priceless You not got a Be-Ro recipe book? I'd have put money on you having one. OMG! talking of money, have you seen the prices of the vintage editions? Why do I always get rid of the wrong things I bet my mum's still got one.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X