What's cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's cooking?

I'm always looking for new recipes to try. Preferably healthy, easy and inexpensive. You too? Share your ideas here. This was wonderful and ready in less than 30 min.
    https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/201...anut-dressing/

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...minty-yoghurt/

I'm a fan of Jamie Olivers recipes and I love anything that's quick and easy, plus I don't eat meat. I've made this curry loads of times and it is delicious.

Comment

Sigh - I'll preclude myself from this thread. My best friend is a can-opener. @ GoSpuffy - I probably have all the ingredients for your salad in the fridge or cupboard. Unfortunately, the fridge and cupboard is usually just a rest stop for food before it finds itself in the bin. Would you like to invite me for dinner?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...minty-yoghurt/

I'm a fan of Jamie Olivers recipes and I love anything that's quick and easy, plus I don't eat meat. I've made this curry loads of times and it is delicious.
        I often make a curried cauliflower but this looks a bit different so I've bookmarked it for next time. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
        Sigh - I'll preclude myself from this thread. My best friend is a can-opener. @ GoSpuffy - I probably have all the ingredients for your salad in the fridge or cupboard. Unfortunately, the fridge and cupboard is usually just a rest stop for food before it finds itself in the bin. Would you like to invite me for dinner?
        I would love to but aren't you in Britain? I don't think I could make a meal well enough to make the airfare worth while.
        *shocked gasp* can you believe their is no emoji for cooking? So I'm feed you cake

Comment

For a quick/easy vege meal I often buy these falafels. I have a recipe for making falafel fresh which is really tasty but involves soaking the chick peas etc, so it's a bit of a faff. These ready-made ones are very nearly as nice, close enough that the convenience wins virtually every time I'm afraid. Accompany them with grated raw carrot & apple with a generous handful of raisins, warmed wholemeal pitta bread & a good dollop of natural yogurt. Yum.

I'm going to make a note to try both of your suggestions. You should post the link for those carrot hot dogs you tipped me off about GoSpuffy, they were lovely.

Comment

https://passtheplants.com/easy-carrot-dogs/

I'm not 100% sure this is the recipe I made last summer but it looks close. It is nice to have a bbq for the vegans / vegetarians in our lives.

Comment

I have two new cookbooks! The possibilities seem endless!

Comment

I'd totally forgotten about this thread

I like the sound of shrimp and cabbage stir fry, but I'd substitute tofu for the shrimp as I'm a veggie.

Comment

I forgot about this thread too. Is anyone making banana bread? I've heard its the most popular covid Baker item

Comment

I have made bread twice during covid-19, but it wasn't banana, and both times were pretty disastrous. I don't think I kneaded long enough.

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                      GoSpuffy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You dont knead banana bread.....lol

• Priceless
                      Priceless commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It wasn't banana bread, it was bread bread Do you have a recipe for banana bread?

We made a non-yeast, non bread flour rosemary/olive loaf the other day just with self-raising and it was nice. It's getting the bread flour that isn't so easy at the moment.

Comment

Priceless This is my Mum's recipe and is probably from the 40s or 50s

Banana Loaf
                      1/4 cup butter
                      1 cup sugar
                      1 egg
                      2 cups flour
                      3 large ripe bananas
                      1/3 tsp lemon extract
                      1 cup walnuts
                      1 tsp baking powder
                      1/4 tsp salt

sift together dry ingredients

in a large bowl cream butter, add sugar, cream again, add egg, beat well, cut bananas small and add to mixture along with lemon extract.

add flour and nuts alternately. Bake in moderate oven for 1 hour. Perfect everytime.

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What size is the cup? Does 'cream butter' mean knead?

Presumably creaming butter with sugar like you would for a cake - so beating the butter to soften and then beating them together until the butter gets lighter in colour??

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I haven't made a cake since I was at school, but then I did make a delish pineapple upside down cake, so I think I'm a natural

This is a loaf not a cake. I don't know how to describe it to foreigners hahaha. Starbucks sells a light fluffy banana cake. This is heavier or denser than that. Cream butter means put room temperature butter in a bowl and smash it with a fork until it's all soft. I tried looking up a cup of flour converted to grams but got different answers. You dont have a set of cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup and 1/4 cup that fit inside each other like the measuring spoons ?

Comment

This chart explains how to measure things in Canada quite accurately
                        Post with 1111 votes and 60637 views. Tagged with funny because its true, justcanadathings, americashat; Shared by pthalio. How to measure like a Canadian

Comment

I've become quite an addict of several youtube channels. This one is about cooking and baking the Victorian way and this particular video is about Victoria Sandwiches. Look at the amount of sugar they put into them!

675 g sugar
                          6 eggs
                          450g flour
                          2 tsb orange flower water
                          1 tsb baking powder
                          90 g almonds
                          Mix it all together and cook it in a moderate oven for 25 minutes.

However, Mrs. Crocombe can explain how to do it so much better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpST...PPGuc&index=38

flow
                          Last edited by flow; 09-05-20, 11:37 AM.

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Stoney
                            Stoney commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That's a huge mix though with 6 eggs!!

675 g sugar
                          450 g flour

Comment

I'm going to post something that I make all the time - an all-American dish that combines the best of French, Spanish and West African cooking - Cajun Jambalaya!

You can make it either with meat or vegetarian - I make it vegetarian with Beyond Meat Hot Italian Sausage all the time!

Here's my basic recipe for Jambalaya - I modify it constantly, but here's the basics. The only ingredient that might be difficult to get is Cajun seasoning - but I think it's available in most places now.

Olive or canola oil for saut?ing
                            3 tablespoons of flour (or tapioca flour if you want this gluten free)
                            3 tablespoons of olive or canola oil
                            2 tablespoons of butter (or olive/canola oil)
                            2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped into small pieces. (If you want this vegetarian, just omit the chicken and add a lot of spicy veggie sausage)
                            12 oz spicy veggie, chicken or pork sausage (400g), chopped into small pieces - traditional Cajun requires andouille sausage, but it you can't find it, any spicy sausage will do.
                            2 large sweet onions, diced
                            1 green bell pepper, diced
                            1 red bell pepper, diced
                            4 ribs celery, diced
                            4 cloves garlic, diced
                            2 jalape?o chilies, diced - can use mild green chilis if needed
                            Large can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
                            2 cups of medium grain white rice. (Retains the flavor better than long-grain rice)
                            4 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegetarian)
                            1 teaspoon paprika
                            Chopped fresh thyme
                            Chopped fresh parsley
                            1/4 - 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper - depends how spicy you like it.
                            Cajun seasoning - any brand will do
                            Salt and Pepper
                            2 squashes (green or yellow zucchini) or a cup of cut up green beans - optional
                            1 large can of red beans or kidney beans or black-eyed peas or a combo of white, red, pink beans and lentils.
                            Optional: 24 large shrimp - about 600g - fully cooked, peeled and deveined
                            Optional: A few handfuls of shredded kale depending on your tolerance level. (I like a lot)
                            Optional: A tablespoon of file powder while cooking or a sprinkle on top afterwards

Cut up sausage into small cubes. Saut? sausage in oil until cooked - remove and put aside. Cut up chicken breast into small cubes. Saute Chicken in oil until browned, cover and refrigerate both until needed.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Now you make the Cajun "Holy Trinity" - which consists of a mixture of onions, bell peppers and celery with garlic. But first you make the roux...some people can skip this part and make a roux less jambalaya - which I have done to save time.

The Roux: Heat a Dustch oven and add 1/4 cup of oil. Once oil is heated, slowly add 1/4 cup of flour, stirring constantly until all is blended. Continue to cook over medium to low heat, stirring constantly until flour and oil blend to form a brown roux. This should take about 30 minutes to an hour - you have to keep stirring with a whisk or it will burn once it starts bubbling - which would be bad. It should turn a rich, almost chocolate brown. After it has turned dark, remove, pour out into a Pyrex cup (or something that can take heat) and let cool down.

Now for the Holy Trinity: Add onion, bell pepper and celery to the Dutch oven with a little more oil and saute with added butter until very softened - about 20 minutes while continuously stirring. Add the chopped up garlic and jalapeno and saute for five more minutes. Slowly add in the roux until it hits a desired thickness (everyone's level will be different) Stir in the tomatoes, rice, chicken broth and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Add the chicken, sausage, paprika, Cajun seasoning and thyme. (Add squash or green beans if wanted here). Cover and cook in the oven about 45 minutes. Open and add beans (and shrimp and kale if you're adding them In.) Put back in oven for 15 minutes. Take out and add cayenne pepper and chopped parsley for taste. Serve at once with Tabasco on the side.

Gumbo is made almost the same way, but without rice and adding okra, green beans and a few handfuls of mixed vegetables (like peas, corn, carrots, Lima beans blend) and a green leafy vegetable the last 15 minutes like Kale - and it's cooked on the stove because it's more of a low-carb soup whereas Jambalaya is a rice dish that works best in the oven.

I like to serve it with a crunchy, sweet fruity slaw which goes well with any spicy dish like Cajun or Mexican.

1 pounds of shredded green cabbage
                            1/2 pound of shredded red cabbage
                            2 tablespoons olive oil
                            1 apple, diced and peeled
                            2 tablespoons diced red onion
                            1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
                            1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
                            1 tablespoon poppy seeds
                            2 tablespoons cumin
                            1/2 cup sliced almonds
                            1/2 cup to 1 cup of mayonnaise (I use vegan, but any nice mayo will do)
                            1/4 cup agave syrup (If you are going low-carb, you can use liquid stevia)
                            1/2 cup of fruit flavored balsamic vinegar to taste (I use cherry, but fig or any fruity balsamic vinegar will do)

Mix the cabbage together, add in the apple, red onions, cranberries, dill, poppy seeds and almonds and toss well. Then add the olive oil, the agave syrup and the vinegar little by little until you get the desired blend you like (keep adding one or the other until it's sweet or sour enough to balance each other out.) and finally, add the cumin and mayo to your taste.

Some added thoughts:

EDIT: To make the dish less spicy, omit the jalape?os and either put in mild green chilis (fresh or canned) or just give it just a touch of cayenne pepper for the kick. The Sausages can be less spicy, but if they have a slight kick, it tastes better. Cajun is naturally spicy - but you can control it with the amount of cayenne pepper you put in.

The Tabasco sauce you pour on afterwards can be mild as well - Crystal hot sauce is a more mild brand and there are other hot sauces that are less spicy.

The kidney beans should actually be red beans if you're being strictly authentic. I put kidney because they're easier to find. But any bean will do - gumbo is often a combo of small white beans, small red beans, pink beans, northern beans, lentils - almost every bean but black or garbanzo. If you're not going strictly with red or kidney, I'd make it a mix. For the gumbo version, I also add black-eyed peas.

In terms of authenticity, sometimes no beans are allowed in a classic Cajun dish and purists would call my jambalaya Creole because I add tomatoes. It's all from the same region, though.

Another modification you can do is add about 24 peeled and deveined cooked shrimp in the last 15 minutes along with the beans. A little shredded kale is good too and should also be added in the last 15 minutes.

I just added all my re-edits to the recipe. Make sure you have the Cajun seasoning though - it's what flavors the dish. If you can't find a good store-bought brand, here's how to make it yourself.

Homemade Cajun Seasoning:
                            • 1 tbsp sea salt
                            • 1 tbsp paprika
                            • 1 tbsp garlic powder
                            • 2 tsp ground white pepper
                            • 2 tsp onion powder
                            • 2 tsp ground cumin
                            • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
                            • 1 tsp dried oregano
                            • 1 tsp dried thyme
                            • 1 tsp dried basil
                            • 1 tsp parsley
                            Lastly, if you can find it, File' Powder (made of Sassafras root) is often used to thicken Cajun/Creole sauces - it can be added during cooking (I add a whopping tablespoon) or sprinkled on after the dish is made. That's usually very hard to find outside of the US though and it's not really necessary.
                            Last edited by American Aurora; 10-05-20, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Priceless
                              Priceless commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That looks so good

• American Aurora
                              American Aurora commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Stoney, I've made modifications to the recipe above and added some things.

• Stoney
                              Stoney commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Fab, thanks for the edits. It was black eyed I was wondering about, but I'll look up red too. I do have Cajun seasoning but a break down is interesting to think about as I could tweak it better if the kids find the off the shelf a bit too hot as I do have all the individual ingredients too.

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                            Priceless This is my Mum's recipe and is probably from the 40s or 50s

Banana Loaf
                            1/4 cup butter
                            1 cup sugar
                            1 egg
                            2 cups flour
                            3 large ripe bananas
                            1/3 tsp lemon extract
                            1 cup walnuts
                            1 tsp baking powder
                            1/4 tsp salt

sift together dry ingredients

in a large bowl cream butter, add sugar, cream again, add egg, beat well, cut bananas small and add to mixture along with lemon extract.

add flour and nuts alternately. Bake in moderate oven for 1 hour. Perfect everytime.

GoSpuffy, this is a great combination of my mom's two favorite things - bananas and walnuts - and I intend to make her this banana loaf for Mother's Day tomorrow since i have all of the ingredients on hand (luckily, I use the lemon extract for homemade quickie ice cream). Thank you!

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                              GoSpuffy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Be sure to let me know how it turns out!

GoSpuffy, do you think almonds would work as well as walnuts for the banana bread? Or anything else but nuts?

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• GoSpuffy
                              GoSpuffy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I've used chocolate chips and no nuts but haven't tried almonds.
                          Working...
                          X