Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• - Ted *dismantled*
    + When She Was Bad

When She Was Bad: As Xander and Willow are attacked by a vampire, a girl pulls the vamp away, knees him in the crotch and flips him over. It’s Buffy. “Hi guys!” She sends the vamp flying into a tree where he is impaled on a branch, then turns back to Willow and Xander: “Miss me?” - 9

School Hard: Near a small park and playground at night, a 1958 Dodge Desoto FireFlite crashes through the 'Welcome to Sunnydale' sign and screeches to a halt. Spike gets out and strolls over to the curb, lighting a cigarette. "Home, sweet home." - 10

Reptile Boy: A girl is chased by five fraternity brothers in robes. She reaches the cemetery but runs into one of them and screams. Richard: "Callie! Callie, where're you going? The party's just getting started." He shoves her with the others and they take her away. He looks around, pulls his hood over his head, and follows them back to the house. - 5

Halloween: As Buffy fights a vampire she spies a Halloween signpost. She jams the end of it into his chest and he dusts. Another vamp lowers the camcorder he's been using to record the fight, and backs away as he watches her go. - 9

Lie to Me: Buffy spies Angel and Drusilla at the Sunnydale Park at night. Drusilla: "Oh, no, my pet. This is just the beginning." She pulls away without kissing him, giving him an evil smile as she slowly walks away. Angel watches Dru for a moment, then leaves. Buffy steps away & runs off. - 8

The Dark Age: Philip reaches the door of the school library, but a rotting woman catches up. Inside, Buffy turns off her exercise music and Giles quotes Shakespeare: "And the rest is silence." Outside, Dierdre's body disintegrates into a puddle of slime which spreads out and into Philip's. - 1

What's My Line 1: In his warehouse, Spike pulls Drusilla up from her chair and lifts her into his arms: "I'll dance with you, pet. On the Slayer's grave!" He spins around with her in his arms. - 7

What's My Line 2: In the back room at Willy's bar, the sunlight has advanced past the cage door and is only three feet from the far wall. Angel is crouched in the far corner, cowering and afraid. He looks up at the light coming through the window. - 5

Surprise: Buffy walks toward Angel at the pool table. A vamped Drusilla suddenly appears and thrusts a stake into his back. Buffy reaches for Angel but his hand crumbles to dust as he disintegrates. Drusilla: "Happy Birthday, Buffy." In her room, Buffy wakes. - 10

Innocence: In the alley, the rain lets up. A hooker in a doorway offers to call 911. Angel, still on the ground, stands up: "No. The pain is gone." Hooker: "You sure?" Angel: "Yeah." He spins around in game face and violently bites her, dropping her dead, then blows out the smoke he inhaled from her lungs. Angelus: "I feel just fine." - 8

Phases: Cordelia to Xander: "Look around, we're in my Daddy's car, it's just the two of us, there's a beautiful, big full moon outside tonight. It doesn't get more romantic than this. So shut up!" They start making out. In the bushes a large, hairy beast watching them comes into view. It growls menacingly. - 5

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered: Having just fought a persistent vampire, Buffy tells Xander: "Sorry to say, Xand, slaying is a tad more perilous than dating." They start out of the cemetery. Xander: "Well, you're obviously not dating Cordelia." - 5

Passion: In her room, the camera closes in on a sleeping Buffy. A shadow looms and a hand strokes her hair. It's Angelus, seated on the edge of her bed. He narrates: "It speaks to us...guides us...Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have?" - 8

Killed by Death Buffy is dazed after a sudden attack by Angelus at the cemetery. Buffy: "I told you guys to leave, I...(getting dizzy) I... Oh..." She falls to the ground unconscious. Willow and Cordelia look on as Xander kneels, gazing at the fallen Slayer. - 5

I Only Have Eyes For You: In the halls at the high school, a boy chases a girl, grabbing her arm. Boy: "You don't care anymore, is that it?" She tells him it doesn't matter but he shakes her: “Tell me you don’t love me! Say it!” The girl asks him to let go, but he won’t. He raises a revolver, and aims it at her. "Love is forever." - 5

Becoming 1: In the Sunnydale cemetery, Angelus watches Buffy with her friends fighting a pair of vampires. When they finish, Buffy quips to Xander: "Ah, look on the bright side. It'll all be over soon." They leave. Angelus: "Yes, my love. It will." He smirks and exits. - 6

Becoming 2: Buffy runs down a hall in the high school as a police officer shoots and the bullet shatters the window of the hall door. Officer #2: "All units, we have a fugitive on foot [...] Homicide suspect. Female, blond, approximately sixteen years old. Suspect is very dangerous!" - 5

Reset at:

Eliminated:
    18. Ted
    19. Some Assembly Required
    20. Go Fish
    21. Bad Eggs
    22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
    Season 1 winner: Welcome to the Hellmouth
    Season 2 winner:

Comment

• - The Dark Age *in darkness*
      + Surprise

When She Was Bad: As Xander and Willow are attacked by a vampire, a girl pulls the vamp away, knees him in the crotch and flips him over. It's Buffy. "Hi guys!" She sends the vamp flying into a tree where he is impaled on a branch, then turns back to Willow and Xander: "Miss me?" - 9

School Hard: Near a small park and playground at night, a 1958 Dodge Desoto FireFlite crashes through the 'Welcome to Sunnydale' sign and screeches to a halt. Spike gets out and strolls over to the curb, lighting a cigarette. "Home, sweet home." - 10

Reptile Boy: A girl is chased by five fraternity brothers in robes. She reaches the cemetery but runs into one of them and screams. Richard: "Callie! Callie, where're you going? The party's just getting started." He shoves her with the others and they take her away. He looks around, pulls his hood over his head, and follows them back to the house. - 5

Halloween: As Buffy fights a vampire she spies a Halloween signpost. She jams the end of it into his chest and he dusts. Another vamp lowers the camcorder he's been using to record the fight, and backs away as he watches her go. - 9

Lie to Me: Buffy spies Angel and Drusilla at the Sunnydale Park at night. Drusilla: "Oh, no, my pet. This is just the beginning." She pulls away without kissing him, giving him an evil smile as she slowly walks away. Angel watches Dru for a moment, then leaves. Buffy steps away & runs off. - 8

What's My Line 1: In his warehouse, Spike pulls Drusilla up from her chair and lifts her into his arms: "I'll dance with you, pet. On the Slayer's grave!" He spins around with her in his arms. - 7

What's My Line 2: In the back room at Willy's bar, the sunlight has advanced past the cage door and is only three feet from the far wall. Angel is crouched in the far corner, cowering and afraid. He looks up at the light coming through the window. - 5

Surprise: Buffy walks toward Angel at the pool table. A vamped Drusilla suddenly appears and thrusts a stake into his back. Buffy reaches for Angel but his hand crumbles to dust as he disintegrates. Drusilla: "Happy Birthday, Buffy." In her room, Buffy wakes. - 11

Innocence: In the alley, the rain lets up. A hooker in a doorway offers to call 911. Angel, still on the ground, stands up: "No. The pain is gone." Hooker: "You sure?" Angel: "Yeah." He spins around in game face and violently bites her, dropping her dead, then blows out the smoke he inhaled from her lungs. Angelus: "I feel just fine." - 8

Phases: Cordelia to Xander: "Look around, we're in my Daddy's car, it's just the two of us, there's a beautiful, big full moon outside tonight. It doesn't get more romantic than this. So shut up!" They start making out. In the bushes a large, hairy beast watching them comes into view. It growls menacingly. - 5

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered: Having just fought a persistent vampire, Buffy tells Xander: "Sorry to say, Xand, slaying is a tad more perilous than dating." They start out of the cemetery. Xander: "Well, you're obviously not dating Cordelia." - 5

Passion: In her room, the camera closes in on a sleeping Buffy. A shadow looms and a hand strokes her hair. It's Angelus, seated on the edge of her bed. He narrates: "It speaks to us...guides us...Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have?" - 8

Killed by Death Buffy is dazed after a sudden attack by Angelus at the cemetery. Buffy: "I told you guys to leave, I...(getting dizzy) I... Oh..." She falls to the ground unconscious. Willow and Cordelia look on as Xander kneels, gazing at the fallen Slayer. - 5

I Only Have Eyes For You: In the halls at the high school, a boy chases a girl, grabbing her arm. Boy: "You don't care anymore, is that it?" She tells him it doesn't matter but he shakes her: "Tell me you don't love me! Say it!" The girl asks him to let go, but he won't. He raises a revolver, and aims it at her. "Love is forever." - 5

Becoming 1: In the Sunnydale cemetery, Angelus watches Buffy with her friends fighting a pair of vampires. When they finish, Buffy quips to Xander: "Ah, look on the bright side. It'll all be over soon." They leave. Angelus: "Yes, my love. It will." He smirks and exits. - 6

Becoming 2: Buffy runs down a hall in the high school as a police officer shoots and the bullet shatters the window of the hall door. Officer #2: "All units, we have a fugitive on foot [...] Homicide suspect. Female, blond, approximately sixteen years old. Suspect is very dangerous!" - 5

Reset at:

Eliminated:
      17. The Dark Age
      18. Ted
      20. Go Fish
      21. Bad Eggs
      22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
      Season 2 winner:

Comment

• - Innocence
        + Reptile Boy

When She Was Bad: As Xander and Willow are attacked by a vampire, a girl pulls the vamp away, knees him in the crotch and flips him over. It’s Buffy. “Hi guys!” She sends the vamp flying into a tree where he is impaled on a branch, then turns back to Willow and Xander: “Miss me?” - 9

Reptile Boy: A girl is chased by five fraternity brothers in robes. She reaches the cemetery but runs into one of them and screams. Richard: "Callie! Callie, where're you going? The party's just getting started." He shoves her with the others and they take her away. He looks around, pulls his hood over his head, and follows them back to the house. - 4

Surprise: Buffy walks toward Angel at the pool table. A vamped Drusilla suddenly appears and thrusts a stake into his back. Buffy reaches for Angel but his hand crumbles to dust as he disintegrates. Drusilla: "Happy Birthday, Buffy." In her room, Buffy wakes. - 11

Innocence: In the alley, the rain lets up. A hooker in a doorway offers to call 911. Angel, still on the ground, stands up: "No. The pain is gone." Hooker: "You sure?" Angel: "Yeah." He spins around in game face and violently bites her, dropping her dead, then blows out the smoke he inhaled from her lungs. Angelus: "I feel just fine." - 9

I Only Have Eyes For You: In the halls at the high school, a boy chases a girl, grabbing her arm. Boy: "You don't care anymore, is that it?" She tells him it doesn't matter but he shakes her: “Tell me you don’t love me! Say it!” The girl asks him to let go, but he won’t. He raises a revolver, and aims it at her. "Love is forever." - 5

Reset at:

Eliminated:
        17. The Dark Age
        18. Ted
        20. Go Fish
        21. Bad Eggs
        22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
        Season 2 winner:

Comment

• - Killed By Death
          + Reptile Boy

Innocence: In the alley, the rain lets up. A hooker in a doorway offers to call 911. Angel, still on the ground, stands up: "No. The pain is gone." Hooker: "You sure?" Angel: "Yeah." He spins around in game face and violently bites her, dropping her dead, then blows out the smoke he inhaled from her lungs. Angelus: "I feel just fine." - 9

Killed by Death Buffy is dazed after a sudden attack by Angelus at the cemetery. Buffy: "I told you guys to leave, I...(getting dizzy) I... Oh..." She falls to the ground unconscious. Willow and Cordelia look on as Xander kneels, gazing at the fallen Slayer. - 4

Reset at:

Eliminated:
          17. The Dark Age
          18. Ted
          20. Go Fish
          21. Bad Eggs
          22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
          Season 2 winner:

Comment

• Only one more before reset.

I'm going to go for WML2. There is a tension/drama that is arguably more than some of the others remaining offer, but I don't like it much due to the strangeness of how they have Angel cowering/feverish.

- What's My Line 2
            + Halloween

Halloween: As Buffy fights a vampire she spies a Halloween signpost. She jams the end of it into his chest and he dusts. Another vamp lowers the camcorder he's been using to record the fight, and backs away as he watches her go. - 10

What's My Line 2: In the back room at Willy's bar, the sunlight has advanced past the cage door and is only three feet from the far wall. Angel is crouched in the far corner, cowering and afraid. He looks up at the light coming through the window. - 4

Killed by Death Buffy is dazed after a sudden attack by Angelus at the cemetery. Buffy: "I told you guys to leave, I...(getting dizzy) I... Oh..." She falls to the ground unconscious. Willow and Cordelia look on as Xander kneels, gazing at the fallen Slayer. - 4

Reset at:

Eliminated:
            17. The Dark Age
            18. Ted
            20. Go Fish
            21. Bad Eggs
            22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
            Season 2 winner:

Comment

• OK, we're at the reset point at 15, but I'm assuming that happens after I vote?

- Reptile Boy
              + Halloween

Reptile Boy: A girl is chased by five fraternity brothers in robes. She reaches the cemetery but runs into one of them and screams. Richard: "Callie! Callie, where're you going? The party's just getting started." He shoves her with the others and they take her away. He looks around, pulls his hood over his head, and follows them back to the house. - 4

Halloween: As Buffy fights a vampire she spies a Halloween signpost. She jams the end of it into his chest and he dusts. Another vamp lowers the camcorder he's been using to record the fight, and backs away as he watches her go. - 11

What's My Line 2: In the back room at Willy's bar, the sunlight has advanced past the cage door and is only three feet from the far wall. Angel is crouched in the far corner, cowering and afraid. He looks up at the light coming through the window. - 4

Reset at:

Eliminated:
              17. The Dark Age
              18. Ted
              20. Go Fish
              21. Bad Eggs
              22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
              Season 2 winner:

Comment

• - WML2
                + Innocence

Halloween: As Buffy fights a vampire she spies a Halloween signpost. She jams the end of it into his chest and he dusts. Another vamp lowers the camcorder he's been using to record the fight, and backs away as he watches her go. - 11

What's My Line 2: In the back room at Willy's bar, the sunlight has advanced past the cage door and is only three feet from the far wall. Angel is crouched in the far corner, cowering and afraid. He looks up at the light coming through the window. - 3

Innocence: In the alley, the rain lets up. A hooker in a doorway offers to call 911. Angel, still on the ground, stands up: "No. The pain is gone." Hooker: "You sure?" Angel: "Yeah." He spins around in game face and violently bites her, dropping her dead, then blows out the smoke he inhaled from her lungs. Angelus: "I feel just fine." - 10

Reset at:

Eliminated:
                17. The Dark Age
                18. Ted
                20. Go Fish
                21. Bad Eggs
                22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
                Season 2 winner:

Comment

• Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
                  OK, we're at the reset point at 15, but I'm assuming that happens after I vote?
                  The reset will happen after the next ending is voted off, so when there are 15 remaining as you say.

Comment

• - WML2
                    + School hard

School Hard: Near a small park and playground at night, a 1958 Dodge Desoto FireFlite crashes through the 'Welcome to Sunnydale' sign and screeches to a halt. Spike gets out and strolls over to the curb, lighting a cigarette. "Home, sweet home." - 11

What's My Line 2: In the back room at Willy's bar, the sunlight has advanced past the cage door and is only three feet from the far wall. Angel is crouched in the far corner, cowering and afraid. He looks up at the light coming through the window. - 2

Innocence: In the alley, the rain lets up. A hooker in a doorway offers to call 911. Angel, still on the ground, stands up: "No. The pain is gone." Hooker: "You sure?" Angel: "Yeah." He spins around in game face and violently bites her, dropping her dead, then blows out the smoke he inhaled from her lungs. Angelus: "I feel just fine." - 10

Reset at:

Eliminated:
                    17. The Dark Age
                    18. Ted
                    20. Go Fish
                    21. Bad Eggs
                    22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
                    Season 2 winner:

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• - WML2
                      + Lie to Me

School Hard: Near a small park and playground at night, a 1958 Dodge Desoto FireFlite crashes through the 'Welcome to Sunnydale' sign and screeches to a halt. Spike gets out and strolls over to the curb, lighting a cigarette. "Home, sweet home." - 11

Lie to Me: Buffy spies Angel and Drusilla at the Sunnydale Park at night. Drusilla: "Oh, no, my pet. This is just the beginning." She pulls away without kissing him, giving him an evil smile as she slowly walks away. Angel watches Dru for a moment, then leaves. Buffy steps away & runs off. - 9

What's My Line 2: In the back room at Willy's bar, the sunlight has advanced past the cage door and is only three feet from the far wall. Angel is crouched in the far corner, cowering and afraid. He looks up at the light coming through the window. - 1

Reset at:

Eliminated:
                      17. The Dark Age
                      18. Ted
                      20. Go Fish
                      21. Bad Eggs
                      22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
                      Season 2 winner:
                      You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

• - Killed By Death
                        + Lie to Me

Lie to Me: Buffy spies Angel and Drusilla at the Sunnydale Park at night. Drusilla: "Oh, no, my pet. This is just the beginning." She pulls away without kissing him, giving him an evil smile as she slowly walks away. Angel watches Dru for a moment, then leaves. Buffy steps away & runs off. - 10

What's My Line 2: In the back room at Willy's bar, the sunlight has advanced past the cage door and is only three feet from the far wall. Angel is crouched in the far corner, cowering and afraid. He looks up at the light coming through the window. - 1

Killed by Death Buffy is dazed after a sudden attack by Angelus at the cemetery. Buffy: "I told you guys to leave, I...(getting dizzy) I... Oh..." She falls to the ground unconscious. Willow and Cordelia look on as Xander kneels, gazing at the fallen Slayer. - 3

Reset at:

Eliminated:
                        17. The Dark Age
                        18. Ted
                        20. Go Fish
                        21. Bad Eggs
                        22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
                        Season 2 winner:

Comment

• ••• Reset •••••

- WML 2 (disqualified... )
                          + Innocence

When She Was Bad: As Xander and Willow are attacked by a vampire, a girl pulls the vamp away, knees him in the crotch and flips him over. It’s Buffy. “Hi guys!” She sends the vamp flying into a tree where he is impaled on a branch, then turns back to Willow and Xander: “Miss me?” - 5

School Hard: Near a small park and playground at night, a 1958 Dodge Desoto FireFlite crashes through the 'Welcome to Sunnydale' sign and screeches to a halt. Spike gets out and strolls over to the curb, lighting a cigarette. "Home, sweet home." - 5

Halloween: As Buffy fights a vampire she spies a Halloween signpost. She jams the end of it into his chest and he dusts. Another vamp lowers the camcorder he's been using to record the fight, and backs away as he watches her go. - 5

Lie to Me: Buffy spies Angel and Drusilla at the Sunnydale Park at night. Drusilla: "Oh, no, my pet. This is just the beginning." She pulls away without kissing him, giving him an evil smile as she slowly walks away. Angel watches Dru for a moment, then leaves. Buffy steps away & runs off. - 5

What's My Line 1: In his warehouse, Spike pulls Drusilla up from her chair and lifts her into his arms: "I'll dance with you, pet. On the Slayer's grave!" He spins around with her in his arms. - 5

Surprise: Buffy walks toward Angel at the pool table. A vamped Drusilla suddenly appears and thrusts a stake into his back. Buffy reaches for Angel but his hand crumbles to dust as he disintegrates. Drusilla: "Happy Birthday, Buffy." In her room, Buffy wakes. - 5

Innocence: In the alley, the rain lets up. A hooker in a doorway offers to call 911. Angel, still on the ground, stands up: "No. The pain is gone." Hooker: "You sure?" Angel: "Yeah." He spins around in game face and violently bites her, dropping her dead, then blows out the smoke he inhaled from her lungs. Angelus: "I feel just fine." - 6

Passion: In her room, the camera closes in on a sleeping Buffy. A shadow looms and a hand strokes her hair. It's Angelus, seated on the edge of her bed. He narrates: "It speaks to us...guides us...Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have?" - 5

Becoming 1: In the Sunnydale cemetery, Angelus watches Buffy with her friends fighting a pair of vampires. When they finish, Buffy quips to Xander: "Ah, look on the bright side. It'll all be over soon." They leave. Angelus: "Yes, my love. It will." He smirks and exits. - 5

Reset at:

Eliminated:
                          16. What's My Line 2
                          17. The Dark Age
                          18. Ted
                          20. Go Fish
                          21. Bad Eggs
                          22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
                          Season 2 winner:

Comment

• - Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
                            + Surprise

When She Was Bad: As Xander and Willow are attacked by a vampire, a girl pulls the vamp away, knees him in the crotch and flips him over. It’s Buffy. “Hi guys!” She sends the vamp flying into a tree where he is impaled on a branch, then turns back to Willow and Xander: “Miss me?” - 5

School Hard: Near a small park and playground at night, a 1958 Dodge Desoto FireFlite crashes through the 'Welcome to Sunnydale' sign and screeches to a halt. Spike gets out and strolls over to the curb, lighting a cigarette. "Home, sweet home." - 5

Halloween: As Buffy fights a vampire she spies a Halloween signpost. She jams the end of it into his chest and he dusts. Another vamp lowers the camcorder he's been using to record the fight, and backs away as he watches her go. - 5

Lie to Me: Buffy spies Angel and Drusilla at the Sunnydale Park at night. Drusilla: "Oh, no, my pet. This is just the beginning." She pulls away without kissing him, giving him an evil smile as she slowly walks away. Angel watches Dru for a moment, then leaves. Buffy steps away & runs off. - 5

What's My Line 1: In his warehouse, Spike pulls Drusilla up from her chair and lifts her into his arms: "I'll dance with you, pet. On the Slayer's grave!" He spins around with her in his arms. - 5

Surprise: Buffy walks toward Angel at the pool table. A vamped Drusilla suddenly appears and thrusts a stake into his back. Buffy reaches for Angel but his hand crumbles to dust as he disintegrates. Drusilla: "Happy Birthday, Buffy." In her room, Buffy wakes. - 6

Innocence: In the alley, the rain lets up. A hooker in a doorway offers to call 911. Angel, still on the ground, stands up: "No. The pain is gone." Hooker: "You sure?" Angel: "Yeah." He spins around in game face and violently bites her, dropping her dead, then blows out the smoke he inhaled from her lungs. Angelus: "I feel just fine." - 6

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered: Having just fought a persistent vampire, Buffy tells Xander: "Sorry to say, Xand, slaying is a tad more perilous than dating." They start out of the cemetery. Xander: "Well, you're obviously not dating Cordelia." - 4

Passion: In her room, the camera closes in on a sleeping Buffy. A shadow looms and a hand strokes her hair. It's Angelus, seated on the edge of her bed. He narrates: "It speaks to us...guides us...Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have?" - 5

Becoming 1: In the Sunnydale cemetery, Angelus watches Buffy with her friends fighting a pair of vampires. When they finish, Buffy quips to Xander: "Ah, look on the bright side. It'll all be over soon." They leave. Angelus: "Yes, my love. It will." He smirks and exits. - 5

Reset at:

Eliminated:
                            16. What's My Line 2
                            17. The Dark Age
                            18. Ted
                            20. Go Fish
                            21. Bad Eggs
                            22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
                            Season 2 winner:

Comment

• I utterly agree with everything that Stoney wrote
                              about Surprise

I would only add praise for that wonderful shot of Willow
                              speaking Latin—with a monkey... It so catches the
                              logic of dreams...

For second place, however, I have to put Innocence:

I still remember the first time I watched it: I only fell upon
                              BtVS in the Summer after the second season: the network
                              was showing reruns of both S1 & S2 back to back, and one
                              night when I was avoiding Whitman, while switching channels
                              (as a grad student, I could not afford cable), I happened upon
                              The Pack and Halloween...

After that, I did not miss a Tuesday night...

And having no one with whom to discuss it—

Most of my grad school friends had no idea what the
                              show was, as it had not yet gained much of a reputation,
                              although I did drag my then-boyfriend into watching—

I had no idea what was going to happen...

So when the Prologue of Innocence came on...

I actually screamed, so utterly confused, crushed,
                              and overwhelmed with horror did it leave me...

And that feeling lingers, still, upon any re-watch...

After that—

I do now love School Bad, but thinking back, I
                              must confess that my love is retrospective: Spike did
                              not completely compel, fascinate me until his scene
                              with Colin and Drusilla—although from then, I was
                              hooked...

And much yessness to Lie to Me:
                              the creepiness and vulnerability of
                              Drusilla, the way her madness seeps through
                              the imminent threat she poses to the boy, the more
                              remote one she promises Angel—

Lastly, a yes, as well, to When She Was Bad:
                              the wrenching scene between Willow and Xander,
                              Buffy's timing, Xander's reaction and Willow's
                              reading of it, the tone in Buffy's voice in the end,
                              subtly telling us that all is far from right with her,
                              that the events of the previous season remain
                              with her...

The only highly voted episode that leaves me
                              cold is Halloween: I do adore the episode,
                              but the opening... I certainly do not hate it, and
                              I value others far less, but nothing in it particularly
                              moves me, either...

Would be much interested to hear from others...

Last edited by StateOfSiege97; 02-10-19, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• - Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered - that's a weird and kind of insensitive thing to say, Xander, when you're talking to Buffy, what with everything that's happened with Angel
                                + Surprise

Surprise: Buffy walks toward Angel at the pool table. A vamped Drusilla suddenly appears and thrusts a stake into his back. Buffy reaches for Angel but his hand crumbles to dust as he disintegrates. Drusilla: "Happy Birthday, Buffy." In her room, Buffy wakes. - 7

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered: Having just fought a persistent vampire, Buffy tells Xander: "Sorry to say, Xand, slaying is a tad more perilous than dating." They start out of the cemetery. Xander: "Well, you're obviously not dating Cordelia." - 3

Reset at:

Eliminated:
                                16. What's My Line 2
                                17. The Dark Age
                                18. Ted
                                20. Go Fish
                                21. Bad Eggs
                                22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
                                Season 2 winner:
                                You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

• - reptile boy
                                  + School hard

School Hard: Near a small park and playground at night, a 1958 Dodge Desoto FireFlite crashes through the 'Welcome to Sunnydale' sign and screeches to a halt. Spike gets out and strolls over to the curb, lighting a cigarette. "Home, sweet home." - 6

Surprise: Buffy walks toward Angel at the pool table. A vamped Drusilla suddenly appears and thrusts a stake into his back. Buffy reaches for Angel but his hand crumbles to dust as he disintegrates. Drusilla: "Happy Birthday, Buffy." In her room, Buffy wakes. - 7

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered: Having just fought a persistent vampire, Buffy tells Xander: "Sorry to say, Xand, slaying is a tad more perilous than dating." They start out of the cemetery. Xander: "Well, you're obviously not dating Cordelia." - 3

Reset at:

Eliminated:
                                  16. What's My Line 2
                                  17. The Dark Age
                                  18. Ted
                                  20. Go Fish
                                  21. Bad Eggs
                                  22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
                                  Season 2 winner:[/QUOTE]

"I like who I am when I'm with him. I like who we are together."

Comment

• Originally posted by StateOfSiege97 View Post
                                    For second place, however, I have to put Innocence:
                                    I would agree that this ending is really impactful but the idea that he inhales her smoke from her neck always irritates/distracts me a little.

The only highly voted episode that leaves me
                                    cold is Halloween: I do adore the episode,
                                    but the opening... I certainly do not hate it, and
                                    I value others far less, but nothing in it particularly
                                    moves me, either...
                                    It's interesting that you have said this as well as feeling fondness for School Hard came retrospectively as it is the further awareness of what is happening that makes Halloween one that stands out a little more than some others for me. I definitely wouldn't say it is top three but I enjoy it for what it shows of Buffy's character in her fighting style in a bit of fun choreography. But also what it says of Spike that he is watching her and assessing her. That the scene touches on the similarity between them in how adaptable they are creates a fondness for the start of them coming to know each other too that's there when seeing it in hindsight.

One thing I have found quite surprising in looking at the prologue endings comparatively is how weak the two Becoming eps are against quite a few of the others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                                      I would agree that this ending is really impactful but the idea that he inhales her smoke from her neck always irritates/distracts me a little.

It's interesting that you have said this as well as feeling fondness for School Hard came retrospectively as it is the further awareness of what is happening that makes Halloween one that stands out a little more than some others for me. I definitely wouldn't say it is top three but I enjoy it for what it shows of Buffy's character in her fighting style in a bit of fun choreography. But also what it says of Spike that he is watching her and assessing her. That the scene touches on the similarity between them in how adaptable they are creates a fondness for the start of them coming to know each other too that's there when seeing it in hindsight.

One thing I have found quite surprising in looking at the prologue endings comparatively is how weak the two Becoming eps are against quite a few of the others.
                                      yes, the smoke is distracting, but not enough
                                      for me—

the distraction is another retrospective thing: when i
                                      first watched the episode, i was not sufficiently versed
                                      in vampirism to be distracted—and too distressed by
                                      what had just occurred to be so...

i do understand about Halloween, but the connection
                                      pales beside the other prologues, fails to carry the full
                                      force of similarity and, thus, prefiguration to me—

(and, oh, i forgot my liking for Passion—i love
                                      Angel's voice-over, and every gesture he makes as
                                      he looks over a sleeping Buffy gives me, as Buffy
                                      would say, the wiggins—thinking of all i know of
                                      abusive men... this scene captures their
                                      surveilling tendency so perfectly: like my ex, who
                                      never hit me, Angel does not want, at this point,
                                      to physically hurt Angel—he wants to haunt
                                      her, undermine any slim sense of safety and
                                      privacy that she, as the Slayer, might find... )

and your thoughts about the two Becoming
                                      episodes struck me, as i thought exactly the
                                      same thing as we began to play this season:
                                      both are so very strong, so tightly plotted, so
                                      well-written... but the openings are so terribly
                                      weak... as if they did not know how to begin...

Comment

• For me, When She Was Bad comes at the top (I might change my mind), followed by, in no particular order, School Hard, Lie to Me, Surprise, Halloween, Passion, Innocence.

When She Was Bad: I love the whole episode, but the prologue in particular is fantastic. Buffy's dramatic re-appearance, the feel of her absence in the quiet Xillow stroll, their build up before Buffy's entrance.... Her confident "Miss me?"— Her forced chipper tone which hints at so much... It's the best ending of this season (or one of the best.)

School Hard...It's one of those episodes where I love the prologue and the ending more than the episode itself. I love the car crashing into the sign and I could tell immediately this was an exciting character. <3 I love the irreverence of Spike, his whole persona, his strangely theatrical dynamic with Drusilla, his infusion of rebellion, that uber cool moment at the end when he killed the Anointed—— all of which is suggested by the knocking down of that sign. It's the best part of what otherwise wouldn't have been a notable prologue.

The episode itself, strangely, dragged a little for me, I never found Sheila's character compelling and even the Snyder bits weren't as funny to me as they usually are, I know the episode alludes to Die Hard but it just wasn't that suspenseful or thrilling to me. Three gems stood out to me though— Spike's "home sweet home"— (which, the first time I saw it, as well as now retrospectively, is fantastic and grows so much in meaning), Spike at the Bronze circling Buffy, and that incredible, anarchic ending. So I think it's a brilliant hint at what's to come and deserves a top spot.

Lie to Me and Passion are equally great, I can't tell which I'd place higher: Dru is genuinely eerie in this ending, there's a wealth of implied history in her interaction with Angel and I love the sophisticated way it hints at— gives us glimpses of— Angel's darkness without giving away too much. Then again, Passion is brilliant for exactly all the reasons SoS has described, so I'm torn and can't decide which is better, I'd say they're about equal.

Surprise, Halloween: I love them all: Surprise for all the reasons Stoney and TTB outlined, Halloween is a delightful ending because I love that we're seeing Buffy through the frame of a camera— that in itself is an interesting way to begin and sets up a sense of intrigue. But I also love that she's getting (in however warped a manner), genuine praise, recognition and adulation over her the brilliance (and individuality) of her slaying, she so often feels no one notices. It speaks to their future journeys and I love it, but I admit it's something I appreciate more in retrospect.

Innocence is a thrilling prologue ending, I'd already appreciated the stylised melodrama of the close of Surprise leading into this, everything about it is so atmospheric, the rain, the music echoing every subtlety and building this sense of danger, the sense of threat as Angelus turns, it's very powerful. I'm still more affected by the closing of Innocence though, when Buffy blows out the candle, it's just such a delicate and heartrending ending so for me Angel turning into Angelus did not resonate as much as that. I didn't watch Buffy in a linear fashion, so this didn't feel as impactful to me as it may have if I'd watched from S1.
                                        Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 02-10-19, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• - Killed By Death
                                          + School hard

School Hard: Near a small park and playground at night, a 1958 Dodge Desoto FireFlite crashes through the 'Welcome to Sunnydale' sign and screeches to a halt. Spike gets out and strolls over to the curb, lighting a cigarette. "Home, sweet home." - 7

Reset at:

Eliminated:
                                          16. What's My Line 2
                                          17. The Dark Age
                                          18. Ted
                                          20. Go Fish
                                          21. Bad Eggs
                                          22. Inca Mummy Girl

Results:
                                          Season 2 winner:

Comment

Working...
                                          X