No announcement yet.

Possible Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I'd wait until the episode number game is finished. Also, I still haven't figured out how to do it exactly. I do think it would be fun to not give the seasons and episode numbers at all. That way people would have to judge only the outfits and not the episodes or seasons they appeared in. Of course you will recognize some of the episodes they appear in instantly but I hope not all of them.

On the other hand there is always a specific pattern for each season which makes me think it would be better to not sort outfits from the same season into different groups for voting.

flow

Comment

• Double Dutchess
      Double Dutchess commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the idea of disassociating the outfits of their episodes/seasons and really judging them on their own merit.

• Priceless
      Priceless commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely don't tell us which episodes the costume is from, because that will influence people, even if we don't think it will.

It depends on what you are wanting people to judge them on. Personally speaking, how tied the outfits are to the stories and Buffy's moods is an integral part to appreciating the outfit choices and how it adds meaning and insight into the episodes. So it seems a shame to just turn it into being just about whether you subjectively like the outfit or not. But I'll go with whatever the general consensus is.

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      True, trying to recall or seeing how easily you do or don't.

• StateOfSiege97
      StateOfSiege97 commented
      Editing a comment
      i like Priceless' suggestion-
      that adds another compelling layer to the game-

• bespangeled
      bespangeled commented
      Editing a comment
      I can tell you from my granddaughter (17) that Willow hats are definitely back in style. Buffy's overalls of pain are a classic. Are we gonna decide on favorites, and then pit the favorites against each other?

bespangeled
    I can tell you from my granddaughter (17) that Willow hats are definitely back in style. Buffy's overalls of pain are a classic. Are we gonna decide on favorites, and then pit the favorites against each other?

Yes, that's the general idea at the moment. However I still don't know how to group the outfits when we start to pick. Seasons? Episode numbers? Or just ten or twenty outfits randomly thrown together?

I am not sure if we need a reset. We use resets with every "best" game resets and I am not sure what their actual purpose is. Do the draw out the game? Or do they provide more equal chances?

flow

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
      bespangeled

Yes, that's the general idea at the moment. However I still don't know how to group the outfits when we start to pick. Seasons? Episode numbers? Or just ten or twenty outfits randomly thrown together?

I am not sure if we need a reset. We use resets with every "best" game resets and I am not sure what their actual purpose is. Do the draw out the game? Or do they provide more equal chances?

flow
      my understanding has been that the reset rebalances the field
      and gives people a chance to rethink their choices, which is valuable,
      especially when that field is very large and a few people can
      push the voting in a certain direction by pushing consistently for
      one or two possibilities while others are choosing between the
      whole myriad-

then one gets to a certain point at which nothing those others do
      can rebalance the work of those who have (not with any ill-intent or
      plotting) been voting in one direction all the time....

so the reset rechecks this process and allows us to periodically start
      from zero, taking what has happened (including any discussion-and
      i have been persuaded by those discussions more than once) into
      account as the voting goes on-

so i would say yes to a reset-

as for grouping, i suggest by season:

Buffy has a definite style each season, so it might be most
      interesting to pick within the seasons first, then pick the top
      three winners from each season against each other...

if we do it randomly, i suspect that some seasons will meet
      a very early doom...

but on this point, i am most open to the druthers of others-

Comment

I agree with SoS about the resets. They stop too much build up on an ep and also give the chance to reconsider from the start point again at later stages.

I really don't mind regarding grouping the outfit. Per season can work or randomly. If a season's outfits are unpopular then it would be reflective for them to get voted out sooner but splitting per season would certainly be the most straightforward.

Comment

I saw this on Facebook and have to admit I never knew there was this thing going on with Friends episodes being titled "The one with ..." They didn't carry through with that in the German translation. I thought it might make for a kinda lighthearted, easy-going game.

I'd suggest we go episode by episode, starting with

1x1: The one with the blonde in a schoolgirl uniform.

flow

Comment

I always really liked the way Friends titled their episodes and it was so distinct I'm surprised it isn't carried over in translations. Is your plan to offer multiple suggestions for each or just each poster does the next episode?

Comment

I didn't think there could be more than one suggestion for each episode - I was more concerned if we'd find one for each episode

I'd say it's totally okay to suggest several titles for one episode as long as we haven't moved on to the next episode. If someone wants to add another title later they could do it as a comment. What do you think?

flow

Comment

Splainy-?

Apologies for my ignorance:

I confess a loathing for Friends,
                so the reference falls into some
                weird cultural abyss...

(Perhaps the above belongs in the
                "Unpopular Opinions" Thread...)

The general idea of playing with titles,
                however, does appeal-

Muchly-

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                  I didn't think there could be more than one suggestion for each episode - I was more concerned if we'd find one for each episode
                  Yes, it might not be easy for some, but I think it is possible we may end up with multiple ones for some episodes, such as : 'The One When Buffy Starts at Sunnydale High' for 1.01. But I agree, if we've moved on then second+ suggestions should go in the comments. We might get unintended overlaps when people post at the same time, but it'll keep us moving through the series.

Are we going to keep a running list under a spoiler tag, or just let the thread flow through the seasons?

StateOfSiege97 I really enjoyed Friends. It was the show I watched through my later teens/early twenties. Each episode title starts, 'The One...' and then supplies some descriptive fact about the episode. Such as, 'The One With George Stephanopoulos', 'The One Where Ross Finds Out' 'The One With The Bullies' 'The One At The Beach' etc. Here's a list if you'd to glance at some more examples.

Comment

Stoney-

thanks-

although i do not think i shall ever
                    grasp the appeal of Friends....

but as for the game:

understand now-

like the general idea, but most
                    like it as people suggesting titles for
                    each episode for a certain period, and
                    then the group choosing one from
                    amongst the suggestions:

this would give us a chance to be
                    creative and vote...

especially as the wording would reveal
                    what each of deemed to be the central
                    theme/event to each episode....

and we'd end with a list of new titles
                    for the entire season, and, finally,
                    all of them together....

we could even name each season-

Comment

Yes, we could expand the game and play it as "Re-name Buffy episodes". I am not sure if we will get enough activity in this game to end up with several titles for each episode. But we could just see where this goes with. If we have more than one suggestion for specific episodes we could of course vote for those once the game is finished.

Maybe a running list would make it easier to keep track of the game (I should have thought the game through more thoroughly before I started it).

We could put the running list at the bottom of each post and everybody would have to include it in their posts and also add new suggestions. We wouldn't necessarily have to keep a chronological order if we keep a running list. Maybe that would make it easier and more appealing to people too.

It would look like that (for now):

1x1
                      - The one with the blonde in a schoolgirl uniform (a hommage to Friends)
                      -
                      2x1
                      -

flow

Comment

I think if you did it without the chronology it would be less likely to get completed and it would be too big/unwieldy a list to be copied into each post. Building the suggestions for a season would be less scattered. If you just opened up any/all episodes to make suggestions on I think you are more likely to get people not coming back to it regularly but just looking at it once.

I think you're right that we might not end up with enough suggestions to vote on which to keep, but we could certainly just see how it goes. Perhaps go through a season chronologically and then open it briefly for any further suggestions before moving on?

No worries about working out the ins and outs of the games. It always takes more planning than you think would be necessary. I can always move these posts to the games suggestion thread and then you can edit the starting post of this thread for the game to start proper.

Comment

what Stoney said-

this game opens into a slightly
                          new form, so i think remaining
                          open, feeling free to experiment
                          over the course of the first season,
                          at least, would be productive:

from there, we could gauge the
                          number of participants and reshape
                          the form we will have discovered
                          the least confusing, most engaging
                          and workable-

doing it this way might lessen the
                          burden on one person: although we
                          would still need a singular one to set
                          things in motion, explain the provisional
                          rules, and moderate discussions, we
                          would be working together over the first
                          season to explore possibilities and
                          determine the structure-

i do realize that chaos looms, that bringing
                          us to consensus threatens to impose the
                          infinite impossibilities loaded upon one
                          tasked with herding cats-and provoke
                          unpleasant hissing, clawing, biting....

but given the relatively limited number of
                          participants and civility that has infused our
                          games over the past year or so, these
                          concerns do not truly give me the wiggins...

Last edited by StateOfSiege97; 28-11-20, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Hey flow , shall I move these initial posts out to the games suggestions thread and then you could edit the initial post of this thread and we can start with BtVS S1 and go through chronologically having a couple of days for suggestions for each episode before moving on? Let's give it a try.

Comment

So, would the titles be riffs on the original names - like 1x02 - The One with the Harvest - or something more interesting and imaginative... like

1x02 The One Where Jesse finds a date
                              You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
                                So, would the titles be riffs on the original names - like 1x02 - The One with the Harvest - or something more interesting and imaginative... like

1x02 The One Where Jesse finds a date
                                I think having each episode open for a couple of days would allow for varying suggestions. Some could try to convey the main essence of the episode, others pick up on a specific moment. Any/all would be valid suggestions. That's my take on it anyway.

Comment

Definitely the latter!

Comment

I'm not really sure if we want to look for Friends-style titles for each episode or just for new titles for each episode. Both options are valid but would each make for a very different game. Of course, we could also try both options. maybe not simultaneously

At the moment I am not really sure how to set up the game

flow

Comment

• Originally posted by flow View Post
                                      At the moment I am not really sure how to set up the game
                                      Okay, I've moved the posts discussing the idea for the Friends game out of the thread that is titled 'If Buffy episodes were named....'. My suggestion flow would be to edit the starting post in the original 'If Buffy episodes...' thread for the game to happen in there. Going from what we discussed I'd probably suggest combing your original explanation of the idea for it with some specific rules based on what we said. Something like...

I saw this on Facebook and have to admit I never knew there was this thing going on with Friends episodes being titled "The one with ..." They didn't carry through with that in the German translation. I thought it might make for a kinda lighthearted, easy-going game.

If you aren't familiar with Friends, each episode title starts, 'The One...' and then supplies some descriptive fact about the episode. Such as, 'The One With George Stephanopoulos', 'The One Where Ross Finds Out' 'The One With The Bullies' 'The One At The Beach' etc. Here's a list if you'd to glance at some more examples.

We're going to go through Buffy S1 first and see how it works out. Anyone can post a suggestion for the episode we are on, so we'll build up a list of ideas with some episodes having more than others, that's fine. We'll decide later if we want to vote for our favourites depending on how many we end up with.

- Each episode has two days open for any suggestions to be made.
                                      -
                                      Simply quote the post before you and add in your suggestion under the one before.
                                      -
                                      Each person should only make one suggestion for each episode.
                                      -
                                      When the new episode opens, move the suggestions just completed into the spoilered list of previous episodes and carry on with the next.

So let's start and open up 'Welcome to the Hellmouth' for the next two days...

1.01: The One With the Blonde in a Schoolgirl Uniform
                                      1.01:

Previous episode suggestions
                                      Spoiler:
                                      Cut the suggestions for the episode just completed and add them all add to the bottom of this running list....

We might not want to restrict people to only offering one per episode though. What do you think?

Comment

• flow
                                        flow commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Fantastic! I edited the thread and opened the game!

• Stoney
                                        Stoney commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        That's great, thanks flow.
                                    Working...
                                    X