Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shadow Stalker - 3.11 - Totally, Metaphysical!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow Stalker - 3.11 - Totally, Metaphysical!

Series: Shadow Stalker
    Episode: 3.11 ? Totally, Metaphysical!
    Writer: Alex Goddard aka "Lex"
    Editor and Proof Reader: Alex Hart aka "Alex"

I do not claim credit for any of Joss Whedon's original concepts, plot lines and characters. The featuring of his creations in this series is simply for my pleasure and your pleasure as a reader and not at all for financial gain as I do all this for free! All characters, plot lines and original concepts not affiliated with Joss Whedon belong to me. Season Three of Shadow Stalker starts alongside Season 5 of Angel and is in association with its "sister series", Rogue Redemption by Amber, and other affiliated series such as Chosen by Heather; BtVS Seasons 8 + 9 and AtS Season 6 by Alex Hart and Haven, which is also by Alex Hart. Enjoy.

TEASER

OPEN ON ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
    INTELLIENCE UNIT ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? NIGHT

The door opens and DANTE enters. SOFIA looks up at him.

SOFIA: Well?

DANTE: We didn't get them. But Sin destroyed her army and then set her castle on fire so I guess we won something.

SOFIA: It's all over the news. No doubt another crime against your name.

DANTE shrugs and walks towards her.

DANTE: What's arson when you're already up for murder?

She smiles weakly.

SOFIA: I'm sorry about earlier... I was...

DANTE: Right?

SOFIA looks confused.

DANTE: Look, I don't know what I'm feeling right now, but... I think you're right.

SOFIA: About Lance?

DANTE nods reluctantly.

DANTE: I only want what it is I feel from him when there's danger...

SOFIA sighs.

SOFIA: What are you gonna do?

DANTE: Something I've never done before.

SOFIA: What's that?

DANTE: Think.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
    XAK AND CHARLIE'S ROOM ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? NIGHT

XAK and CHARLIE are in their room. Beat and worn out ? unaware that their best friend is where she is. While CHARLIE begins to get changed, XAK is lying on the bed staring at the ceiling.

XAK: Are you ok?

CHARLIE: She just keeps getting stronger. Even with my mother squeezing the life from her, she still manages to get one up on us... All the time she does it.

XAK: She's strong. The strongest we've come up against yet... But with pride comes a fall...

CHARLIE: Yeah, and I should know...

She looks down and then turns around in his direction. She moves towards him and sits down on the edge of the bed. He looks at her.

CHARLIE: I've been unfair to you. I know, I know you want to know what happened...

XAK reaches out and touches her hand.

XAK: I was the one who was unfair. I didn't mean to push you into telling me anything...

CHARLIE: No, Xak. You have a right to know.

XAK: Only when you're ready.

CHARLIE: (quietly) I was only holding back because I was afraid to let you in. Every time I do...

XAK: Never again Charlie. It's you and me against everything that comes our way.

CHARLIE: I know that now, which is why you should know that-

The door bursts open and a troubled and breathless BROGAN fills its frame.

XAK: Brogan?

BROGAN doesn't look apologetic at breaking up their discussion. CHARLIE looks concerned.

CHARLIE: Ea, what is it?

BROGAN: I think you should come with me...

XAK and CHARLIE look at one another confused.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
    MEDICAL WARD ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? NIGHT

The door opens and BROGAN followed by XAK and CHARLIE hurry into the room.

KAIA is sat on the floor, against the wall and she looks dazed; SHELTER attending to her head wound. TRAFFORD is helping ELISE to a bed and laying her down. He looks at her, his hands shaking.

XAK and CHARLIE look horrified.

CHARLIE: (shocked) God... What happened?

KAIA: (weakly) Your best friend happened. First to Elise and then me...

XAK and CHARLIE look confused.

CHARLIE: What?

XAK: Cate wouldn't do this... She just wouldn't.

KAIA: I think it's blatantly obvious none of us know Cate, because I swear on my dead parents that that girl has lost it...

XAK looks at CHARLIE, who can't stop looking at the Artairs.

XAK: (to KAIA) Where is she now?

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE
    THE ROOM ? INT.TOWER ? UNKNOWN

CATE is still lying on her bed... Her eyes glazed... Her breaths lost...

The creatures begin to move closer to her doorway as the camera closes in on her...

FLASH TO ? ?
    DANCEFLOOR ? INT.BRONZE ? UNKNOWN

CATE, wearing the same clothes she is in The Room, (and lying in the same position on the bed) lies on the floor of The Bronze.

The lights all point at her and she stares at the ceiling. The sound of clinking glass in the background causes her to snap her head towards the bar. She sits up slowly and looks at her hand. The syringe is gone. She takes a few deep breaths and then stands, feeling weak.

She walks towards the bar and sits on the edge of a stool, someone in front of her. She looks tired and tears fill her eyes as she looks at him.

TOOLE (O/S): So...

He turns around, a towel on his shoulder.

TOOLE: What'll it be?

CUT TO BLACK

END OF TEASER

As the screen remains black for a moment, a moon begins to fade into view and then the words in bright white?SHADOW STALKER. They fade as quickly as they appeared.

ACT ONE

OPEN ON ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
    CATE'S ROOM ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? NIGHT

XAK (O/S): Cate!?

The door bursts open and XAK hurries into the room. He takes a look around at the empty room, panicked.

She's gone.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN

TRAFFORD, with his eyes closed, is holding his hands over ELISE'S head, trying to ease her trauma.

KAIA is sat on a bed with SHELTER attaching a bandage to her head. BROGAN stood nearby, worried.

TRAFFORD: (whispering) Come on sis. Come on sis... Please...

CHARLIE is stood next to ELISE'S bed also looking worried, but then something catches her eye: the black puddle behind him on the floor.

It calls to her, a distant ghost.

She leaves the bedside and walks over to it, breathing so slowly and deeply the air tickles her dry lips.

CHARLIE: Oh no...

TRAFFORD breaks his concentration and opens his eyes, hearing CHARLIE'S voice.

He turns.

TRAFFORD: Charlie I...

She turns to him, horrified.

CHARLIE: (upset) Is this what I think it is?

He nods.

FLASH TO ? ?
    BAR ? INT.BRONZE ? UNKNOWN

CATE is sat opposite her dead fianc?. He stares at her.

CATE: (softly) I found you.

TOOLE: You did.

CATE: I'm dead?

TOOLE: Join the club.

She gulps.

CATE: Is this heaven?

TOOLE: Your version of it.

She's silent.

TOOLE: Isn't this what you wanted?

CATE: You're what I wanted.

TOOLE: Careful with the past tense, you could hurt a guy's feelings.

He smiles.

CATE: This isn't a time to joke.

TOOLE: No, no it isn't.

She can't stop looking at him, wanting with every fibre left of her being to reach out and touch him, but scared at the same time she won't be able to.

She catches the eye of her reflection in the mirror behind the bar. She's there, but it's not her.

She's wearing a white dress, her hair is curled and her eyes are white. She stares back at CATE.

TOOLE (O/S): You ok?

She looks away from the reflection to see TOOLE, now stood behind her on the other side of the bar. She looks confused.

CATE: I think so...

TOOLE: You'll get used to it.

He takes her hand, and she once again feels his warmth. She relaxes slightly feeling his grip ? they can touch one another.

TOOLE: Come on...

She allows herself to be led away from the bar.

FLASH TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN

CHARLIE walks up to TRAFFORD, anger bursting from her in tears.

CHARLIE: How could you be so stupid?! Do you have any idea what that stuff does!?

TRAFFORD: I do, I know what you went through...

CHARLIE: No Trafford, you have no idea what I went through and until you have that stuff eradicating every little bit of your life you will continue to have no idea.

KAIA slips away in the background and walks towards the door. BROGAN follows her but SHELTER remains close to ELISE and holds her hand.

TRAFFORD: Onyx Tonic was meant to protect you.

CHARLIE: Yeah well a fat lot of good that did.

TRAFFORD: I promise you Charlie the sole purpose of keeping that liquid was to study it.

CHARLIE: (incredulous) Study it?!

TRAFFORD: Yes. Your mother had it created for her and it was never fully explained what the true extent of its source was.

CHARLIE listens to this.

TRAFFORD: She wanted me to analyse it in case we needed to find a short term method of reversing the effects.

CHARLIE: And have you?

TRAFFORD: No, I thought I was coming close but my sample went missing...

CHARLIE: Cate.

TRAFFORD: I guess so. I kept it in a wooden box in the cabinet. She knew about it, but I never thought she'd use it. I mean after all, it was only designed for you.

CHARLIE turns and looks down at the puddle once again.

TRAFFORD: There's something else you should know...

CHARLIE is silent, listening.

TRAFFORD: The very first syringe of the tonic was the only pure form of the substance we had. Your father ever since that day had been using small droplets from it - from the original source - for clarity in the future tonics.

CHARLIE: So?

TRAFFORD: So since then he'd been improvising with other magic to replicate what was in the first. What was in the wooden box was the last of the original liquid.

CHARLIE: What does this mean?

TRAFFORD: It means that whatever is in that puddle, and whatever Cate has made, is not Onyx Tonic. She could have made anything using my loose calculations and wild speculation...

CHARLIE closes her eyes.

CHARLIE: If anything happens to her...

TRAFFORD looks down and then to his dormant sister.

The door opens and XAK and LANCE enter. TRAFFORD and SHELTER look at him in anticipation.

XAK: We've looked everywhere, she's not in the base...

CHARLIE'S eyes open and she looks at her oily reflection on the floor.

FLASH TO ? ?
    TOOLE'S OFFICE ? INT.BRONZE ? UNKNOWN

SONG: JACK PENATE ? MY YVONNE

A blanket is covering a naked CATE and TOOLE as they lie on the sofa in TOOLE'S office in The Bronze. Candles surround the room and some soft music is playing in the background.

CATE'S eyes are closed and his arms surround her as they lie in serenity. (The music below play throughout)

"Boy in love
    I wish that I was known
    Look above
    And watch our willow blow
    "

CATE: (smiling) Ok. I missed that most of all...

TOOLE: (smiling too) Hell yeah.

She sighs softly and her eyes open. Her mind feeling curious. (The music below plays throughout)

"Feed the past
    Even though I'm grown
    Love can last
    It never truly goes
    "

CATE: Did it hurt?

TOOLE: Dying?

CATE: Yeah.

TOOLE: It was quick. I didn't know for a while what had happened... then it kinda clicked. I was dead.

CATE is silent now and looks ahead.

TOOLE: How about you?

CATE: I died when you did, my body was just existing on borrowed time.

TOOLE holds her close and inhales the scent from her hair. (The music below plays throughout)

"So I sit and I wait
    Still I can't navigate to your castle
    Home in your forest
    Overgrown
    (x2)
    "

TOOLE: At least it's over now.

CATE: Yeah, and they'll be ok, won't they?

TOOLE: Without you?

CATE: Without us.

TOOLE: They will. They want you to be happy.

CATE: And I am.

She caresses his arm and then she realises. Her engagement ring is on her finger once again.

As she stares at it... (The music below plays throughout)

"My Yvonne (oh...) (x5)
    My Yvonne
    "

TOOLE (O/S): Come on... I have something to show you...

She looks and TOOLE is stood by the door now, not underneath her. He's also clothed in a tux. She looks at him confused, but smiles.

CATE: What have you done?

TOOLE doesn't reply, he just holds out his hand...

She smiles, and takes it once more.

INTELLIGENCE UNIT ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? NIGHT

The door bursts open and XAK, CHARLIE and LANCE hurry into the Intelligence Unit.

SOFIA and DANTE look at them in confusion.

XAK: (to both of them) Is she here?

DANTE: Who?

XAK: Cate!

SOFIA shakes her head.

SOFIA: No, I've been here ever since you left, I haven't seen her.

DANTE: (concerned) What's wrong?

XAK: She attacked Elise and Kaia and stole some stuff from the Medical Ward. They're ok, but we can't find her anywhere...

DANTE: What?

SOFIA: What stuff?

CHARLIE: Onyx Tonic.

DANTE: Oh no...

SOFIA hurries to the door.

SOFIA: Well listen she can't have gotten far, because I only saw Kaia about an hour and a half ago.

SOFIA leaves the Intelligence Unit and XAK and CHARLIE follow her out.

XAK stops and looks back at DANTE and LANCE.

XAK: Could you guys stay here? See if you can see her on the cameras in the city?

LANCE nods.

LANCE: Of course.

XAK: Thanks.

He turns now and rushes after CHARLIE and SOFIA.

LANCE turns and looks at DANTE.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
    OBSERVATION DECK ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? NIGHT

The camera opens on one of the surveillance screens, the one looking at the Medical Ward. We can see on the playback CATE standing over ELISE'S unconscious body. KAIA enters. CATE attacks her and then she runs out of the Ward with the Onyx Tonic in her hand...

SOFIA (O/S): God...

The camera pulls back to show XAK, CHARLIE and SOFIA stood in front of the monitors.

XAK: I know. How long ago was this?

SOFIA: Forty-five minutes ago.

CHARLIE: (to SOFIA) Where did she go after?

SOFIA scans through the other monitors and eventually finds her running down the corridor.

SOFIA: There...

They watch her as she stops.

CHARLIE: (confused) What's she doing?

XAK: (realising) Oh no...

CHARLIE looks at him.

CHARLIE: What is it?

The monitor shows CATE knocking on the doorway to The Aperture.

XAK: She's in The Aperture...

CATE enters and the doorway closes behind her.

SOFIA quickly scans through the footage.

SOFIA: Well, apart from her, no one's been down there and she hasn't left...

She turns to face XAK.

SOFIA: She's still in there.

XAK looks at CHARLIE, worried.

XAK: She could be anywhere...

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE

The camera focuses on CATE'S dormant physical body. She lies in her state of catatonia, still staring at the ceiling. The creatures swarm into her room suddenly...

The camera moves towards the wall next to CATE'S bed. It passes through it to the room next door. It's exactly the same as CATE'S room and is empty to anything but a bed.

It has an occupant.

A woman with brown hair is lying on it, facing the wall. She looks under-nourished and looks pale. She's sleeping, but she looks troubled. She turns over in bed and faces the camera. We can see the woman's face.

It's LEIGH SINCLAIR.

CUT TO BLACK

END OF ACT ONE

Comment

ACT TWO

OPEN ON ? ATLANTIC OCEAN

DANTE is flicking through the satellite surveillance of the city and LANCE is flicking through over a hundred news channels to see if CATE has made herself known.

LANCE: Found anything?

DANTE: No. From the footage in the dockyards it seems she hasn't even left the base, unless Slayers have invisibility as one of their powers.

LANCE: I'm fairly certain they don't.

DANTE is silent now.

LANCE: You ok?

DANTE: Yeah, just tonight was... epic.

LANCE: Yeah, it's not good. But we'll be ok.

DANTE looks at him.

DANTE: Will we? There's only so many times we can tell ourselves this is going to be ok. I mean look at us...

LANCE: Do you mean us, or "us"?

DANTE: I have no idea.

DANTE turns back to the screens and LANCE looks at him for a moment beat.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
      OBSERVATION DECK ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? NIGHT

XAK looks at SOFIA.

XAK: Get Dante and Lance, we'll need their help with this.

SOFIA: Where are we going?

XAK: Into The Aperture.

SOFIA: Ok, I'll meet you at the doorway.

She smiles at them and goes to leave, but then turns back.

SOFIA: We'll find her, she's strong.

XAK smiles thankfully at her and she leaves. XAK puts his hands on CHARLIE'S shoulders and tries to look her in the eyes but she is almost shaking with worry.

CHARLIE: Xak...

XAK: Sofia's right. We'll find her.

CHARLIE: That stuff she has, it's not Onyx Tonic ? it could be worse, and it could be doing things to her that we don't know how to control. She could be...

XAK: She won't be.

CHARLIE: (softly) It's Cate. Our Cate...

XAK: And we'll get her back to how she was. We just need to find her first.

She looks at him desperately and nods.

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE

As the various creatures swarm into CATE'S room, they begin to push one another out of the way and a fight begins to erupt. One breaks another's neck and many of them are thrown into the walls.

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE
      LEIGH'S ROOM ? INT.TOWER ? UNKNOWN

The impact of the creatures bodies against the walls rouse LEIGH. Her eyes snap open and she sighs.

LEIGH: Not again...

She jumps out of bed, and hurries to the doorway.

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE

LEIGH appears behind some of the creatures.

LEIGH: Hey!

They stop and look at her, beginning to shy away.

LEIGH: Are you guys gonna do this every time someone comes here?

They hang their heads apologetically.

LEIGH: Leave them be. If they're here then they've suffered enough. Now go!

The creatures, ashamed of themselves all begin to move out of the room past LEIGH.

LEIGH: Thank you...

She looks at the mess of bodies on the floor.

LEIGH: (sarcastically) Great.

She grabs the legs of two of the creatures and begins pulling them out of them room when she sees who is on the bed. She drops the creatures instantly. Her mouth drops open...

LEIGH: Oh my god...

FLASH TO ? ?

The light dies down as we see only CATE'S head as she is brought into the dance floor by TOOLE. She looks amazed at what she sees.

CATE: You did all this?

The camera rotates to show The Bronze beautifully decorated in sophisticated ornate displays. Twinkling lights dot their shine from a glitter ball hanging in the middle of the dance floor, just underneath a banner that reads, "CONGRATULATIONS". A huge table is set, but only seven seats are placed around it.

TOOLE (O/S): I may have had a tiny bit to do with it.

CATE rushes on screen and we can see she is wearing an eye stopping wedding dress with expensive diamonds in her hair and across her neck. She looks completely lost for words as she basks in the scene. She beams at TOOLE.

CATE: I can't believe you did this.

TOOLE walks towards her, clad still in his tux.

TOOLE: That's not the best part.

He clicks his fingers and...

SONG: QUEEN ? NO ONE BUT YOU (ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG)

The music starts as if from nowhere. He smiles at CATE.

CATE: This is your favourite.

TOOLE: Our favourite... Shall we?

She nods and moves towards him. (The music below plays throughout)

"A hand above the water
      An angel reaching for the sky
      "

She lays her head on his shoulder and places her arm around him. He does the same with his arm and takes her hand with the other. They begin to sway. (The music below plays throughout)

"Is it raining in heaven -
      Do you want us to cry?
      "

She smiles so softly and so content.

CATE: (whispering) I can't believe I could ever doubt this place.

TOOLE: It's understandable to have regrets.

CATE: I don't, not now I'm in your arms...

(The music below plays throughout)

"And everywhere the broken-hearted
      On every lonely avenue
      No-one could reach them
      No-one but you...
      "

CATE lifts her head now and looks him in the eyes; she can't bring herself to stop smiling, and decides there is only one way to stop herself.

She kisses him, and the camera spins around them, fixated on their perfect moment. (The music below plays throughout)

"One by one
      Only the Good die young
      They're only flying too close to the sun
      And life goes on -
      Without you...
      "

She eventually breaks away and looks at him again as the music dies down slightly.

CATE: So, what other wondrous things are you gonna lure me into eternity with?

TOOLE: We have forever to plan that.

CATE: Yeah, you're right.

She was planning to stare at him for at least a few more minutes but then it happened.

The CATE she saw in the mirror, clad in another white dress, curled hair and glazed eyes walks past them.

The ALT.CATE glares at CATE deeply and CATE looks at her curiously.

CATE: (to TOOLE) We're not alone here...

She looks at him now.

CATE: ...Are we?

He sighs.

TOOLE: Why did you have to bring that up?

Her smile fades and her brow furrows as she holds on to him tightly for reassurance and protection once again.

MYSTIC LABS ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? NIGHT

The door opens and an angry KAIA storms into the Mystic Labs, closely followed by BROGAN.

BROGAN: (concerned) Are you ok?

KAIA: Yeah, I mean there's nothing like being knocked out to perk you up after a coma.

BROGAN: I know everything that's happened over the last few months is not what we expected but it's times like these when our friends need our help...

KAIA: Well they might be your friends Ea, but they're certainly not mine.

BROGAN looks beat.

BROGAN: Since when did you turn so bitter?

She looks at him, sternly.

BROGAN: Is it Xak? Charlie? Con?

KAIA: It's the whole damn situation we're in Ea. This isn't what I signed on when we took on this mission. It was supposed to be a simple find the bad guy, stop the bad guy, kill the bad guy.

BROGAN: This is war Kaia; we're not invincible and there are no guarantees that what you plan will go the way you want it to. You're on the frontline, so stop feeling so god damn sorry for yourself and fight.

KAIA: What like old times? How dare you stand there and dictate to me how to act after everything we've been through.

BROGAN: Well if you're gonna act like some spoilt brat who got dealt a whole load of unwanted crap to deal with, then it's time you face reality.

KAIA: Get out.

He purses his lips.

KAIA: (shouting) I said get out Ea!

He turns now and leaves, slamming the door behind him.

KAIA breathes deeply and angrily. She turns and smashes a table of vials and liquid with her good arm; the room shakes with her anger.

Then, the sound of a phone ringing on her desk stops her dead in her tracks. She looks to one of the tables. A black cell phone is on the table. She looks at it confused.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
      MEDICAL WARD ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ - NIGHT

SHELTER is sat by ELISE'S bedside, holding her hand concerned. TRAFFORD approaches her from behind and places a hand on the mute's shoulder.

TRAFFORD: She'll be ok. She's strong...

SHELTER nods, agreeing.

He moves over to the puddle and grabs a mop nearby. He begins mopping up CATE'S concoction.

TRAFFORD: ...I'll never forgive myself if something happens to her.

SHELTER looks at him, overhearing him. She looks down at the puddle and then to his sister, unsure of who he is talking about.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
      CORRIDOR ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? NIGHT

XAK, CHARLIE, DANTE, LANCE and SOFIA are stood outside the doorway to The Aperture.

XAK: I know this is gonna be like trying to find a needle in a haystack and I know you're all exhausted, but...

DANTE: It's fine Xak, we'll do all we can.

XAK nods, appreciatively.

XAK: We'll go in pairs. Tag team. Think about anything that she could want, or need.

SOFIA: Or desire. It really could be anything.

XAK: Exactly. I'll go with Charlie. Dante, you're with Sofia.

DANTE nods.

DANTE: Sure.

LANCE: What about me?

XAK: Can you wait here in case Sephy comes back? She'll want to know what's going on.

LANCE nods.

XAK: Ok good. Dante, Sofia ? you're up first.

SOFIA knocks on the doorway and it opens.

XAK: Please, find her.

DANTE looks back at him and then enters the doorway. It closes behind them and XAK puts his arm around CHARLIE.

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE

LEIGH is dragging and kicking out the bodies of the dead creatures in The Room. She breathes heavily and then walks back into the room. She bites her nails and walks closely to CATE'S still body.

LEIGH: Cate?

There's no response.

LEIGH: Cate? Can you hear me?

She notices the syringe in her hand with barely a trace of liquid left. She takes it from CATE'S hand effortlessly.

LEIGH: Oh god, what have you done?

Then she realises and stares around the room. She looks to the doorway and then hurries to the window.

LEIGH: Oh no...

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE
      WINDOW ? EXT.TOWER ? UNKNOWN

The camera shows the window to The Room from the outside and LEIGH staring out of it, looking around the island. The camera pulls back at a rapid speed until the window is a mere dot...

LEIGH (V/O): (whispering) ...They're gonna come for you.

FLASH TO ? ?
      DANCEFLOOR ? INT.BRONZE - UNKNOWN

CATE is still stood with TOOLE, unsure of what to do. ALT.CATE has disappeared once again.

CATE: I had to bring it up. I feel a taint when I see her...

TOOLE: You just need to forget her. Come on...

He pulls away from her and gestures to the table. Her eyes widen at what she sees. The table is filled with a wedding feast and a large four tiered wedding cake ? fruit cake, just like she dreamed.

Standing behind it, in wedding guest attire are XAK, CHARLIE, DANTE, LANCE and SEPHY. They're all smiling at the happy couple.

CATE: You guys are here?

CHARLIE: You honestly think we'd miss your big day?

CATE looks at TOOLE.

CATE: How?

TOOLE: Memories. They don't die with you. Come on...

XAK: Come on. Let's eat.

DANTE: Ooh, yes please. I hope the cr?me br?l?e is as good as it looks.

They all begin to take their seats, but the camera remains on CATE who looks around at everyone.

SEPHY (O/S): Hm, it better be. If I had to have another word with those caterers I think I would have lost my mind.

CHARLIE (O/S): Mother, not now.

XAK (O/S): Is she gonna be like this at ours?

TOOLE looks at CATE now as XAK, Charlie and SEPHY begin discussing plans.

TOOLE: See?

She looks at him now.

TOOLE: We can have everything here.

CATE: It's everything I ever wanted in one place. It's amazing.

She smiles, forgetting all about her alternate self.

CATE: It really is...

She leans in and kisses her TOOLE.

FLASH TO ? THE APERTURE
      BEACH ? EXT.SEAFRONT ? AFTERNOON

The light dies down to show a gorgeous beach full of people who are sunbathing. Lots of good looking toned men are around, and nearby there are over a hundred shopping malls behind the beach.

DANTE (O/S): You honestly think she'll be here?

DANTE and SOFIA now walk on screen. DANTE is in shorts and a vest and SOFIA is wearing a bikini. Both of them have sunglasses on to protect their eyes from the sun.

SOFIA: I think it's worth a shot. Let's face it this would be anyone's dream reality right?

DANTE: I think once upon a three years ago Cate would have agreed with you. Now? I'm not so sure.

SOFIA: Well it can't hurt to look.

DANTE: This is so messed up. I thought fighting for the good guys was supposed to be easier...

SOFIA: Sorry to disappoint you but the bad guys tend to make things difficult.

DANTE: Cate's not a bad guy.

SOFIA: True ? guess we all get seduced by the darkness at some point or another, huh?

DANTE sighs.

DANTE: Not now Sofia.

SOFIA: (confused) Not now what?

DANTE: This is not the time for a jibe at me about my personal life.

SOFIA: How is that a jibe at your personal life?

DANTE: Being seduced by the darkness? Like making the same mistake again perhaps?

SOFIA: Dante, for goodness sake could you just...

CATE (O/S): Can you guys keep it down?

They stop dead where they're walking and turn to their side. CATE, clad in a white bikini is sitting on a sun lounge with a white sun hat on and white sunglasses. They look surprised.

CATE: You're totally killing my tanning mood.

DANTE: Cate? Are you ok? We've been worried...

CATE: (smiling brightly at them) Oh I'm just fine!

Her smile fades now.

CATE: (stern) So you can go now. She doesn't need your help...

DANTE: Cate...

CATE: (angrily) I mean it. If I catch you around here again, trying to make her decisions for her and forcing her to make any choices... I'll make you pay!

With this final word echoing around the beach, CATE disappears. SOFIA looks to DANTE.

SOFIA: Was that really her...

DANTE: I dunno, but whatever it was doesn't want anyone interfering.

SOFIA looks around, uneasy.

DANTE; Come on, we should go back...

With this, they both think "return" and the screen fills with a blinding white light...

LOBBY ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ - NIGHT

LANCE is stood in the lobby, looking at the door.

BROGAN (O/S): Hey.

LANCE looks to see BROGAN walking out of one of the corridors.

LANCE: Hey.

BROGAN: What are you doing?

LANCE: Waiting for Sephy. I gotta break the news to her that Cate's gone off the wagon.

BROGAN: Sucks to be you.

LANCE: Tell me about it.

BROGAN: Where are the others?

LANCE: In The Aperture ? looking for her.

BROGAN: I hope they find her, she's been through enough. Tonight's been through enough...

LANCE: I know. I mean I know Toole's death hit everyone hard, I should know... I just had no idea it had cut her this deep. I feel like we should have seen it coming...

BROGAN: Sometimes all you can do is let them ride it out...

He looks down.

BROGAN: ...Hope they'll come to their senses before it's too late.

SEPHY (O/S): Before what's too late?

LANCE and BROGAN turn to see SEPHY and ECHIDNA stood in the lobby, looking at them curiously. ECHIDNA looks beat but SEPHY looks at both of them with a stern expression.

BROGAN: Sephy... Did you find them?

SEPHY looks at ECHIDNA who looks bleak.

SEPHY: No. Now... what is going on?

LANCE looks hesitant.

LANCE: There's something you need to know, about Cate...

She cocks her head slightly, curious.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
      CORRIDOR ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ - NIGHT

XAK is stood staring at the doorway to The Aperture and CHARLIE is pacing the corridor, unable to stop.

CHARLIE: (quietly) God I can't bear this...

She moves to the wall and slides down it until her knees meet her chin. XAK looks at her.

XAK: We'll get her past this.

CHARLIE: Why are you such an optimist?

XAK: How can you not be? This is your best friend.

CHARLIE: Because if her only resort was that stuff, and her only way out is through that door... then maybe Xak, just maybe...

XAK moves to her now and kneels down in front of her.

XAK: Don't talk like that.

CHARLIE: (softly) I know I shouldn't. I do know that... but it's just if she doesn't have the strength to live anymore. Who are we to keep her here?

XAK looks unsure of what to say to comfort her. Just then the door to The Aperture opens and they turn their heads to see who is coming out...

FLASH TO ? ?
      DINNER TABLE ? INT.BRONZE ? UNKNOWN

The bride is sat with her new husband and her friends enjoying their food. She's completely forgotten about her life.

LANCE stands with a glass and taps a spoon against it to get their attention.

LANCE: Uh, everyone. Could I have your attention?

SEPHY: (to DANTE, enthusiastically) Oh good, Lance is going to do a speech! He does tickle me so!

DANTE laughs.

LANCE: (addressing the table) Ok, I'll keep this short. I just wanted to say that we've come through a lot together; most of it bad, but as you can see a lot of that led to moments like this. Moments we should treasure because they're so hard to find that I sometimes forget they can exist.

CATE and TOOLE smile at one another at this. XAK grips on to CHARLIE'S hand and they share a brief kiss.

LANCE: So I guess what I'm trying to say is, before I get sickened by the lovesick puppy dog eyes you're all giving each other is...

DANTE smiles weakly as LANCE raises his glass to TOOLE.

LANCE: Congratulations bro...

TOOLE smiles at him. LANCE raises his glass to CATE now.

LANCE: ...And congratulations Cate. I wish you both, every bit of happiness.

LANCE now gestures to the group.

LANCE: To Toole and Cate!

XAK/CHARLIE/DANTE/SEPHY: Toole and Cate!

LANCE takes a seat now. CATE is clearly moved by LANCE'S words and clutches tightly on to her husband's hand.

CHARLIE (O/S): That was lovely Lance.

SEPHY (O/S): Quite, and not a joke in sight.

LANCE (O/S): Do you think I'm like a comedian or something? I think I told you one joke before.

Something catches CATE'S eye now and she follows its movement.

SEPHY (O/S): Well it was most humorous, I propose it for your profession.

It passes her. It's ALT.CATE.

XAK (O/S): Here she goes again.

CATE stands now, tearing her hand from TOOLE'S.

CATE: (loudly, to ALT.CATE) Who the hell are you?!

XAK, CHARLIE, DANTE, LANCE and SEPHY all are taken aback by CATE'S outburst.

ALT.CATE stops and looks at her.

CHARLIE: Cate?

SEPHY: Is everything alright, dear?

TOOLE: (to CATE, quietly) Honey sit down. Not now...

CATE: No!

She looks at the others.

CATE: Don't you guys see her?

CHARLIE: (confused) See who sweetie?

CATE looks at them all infuriated, feeling insane. She looks at ALT.CATE.

CATE: Who are you?

ALT.CATE: Isn't it obvious Cathryn?

CATE furrows her brow, troubled.

ALT.CATE: I'm the devil on your shoulder; I'm the angel on the other. I'm you.

CATE looks her deep in the eyes.

CUT TO BLACK

END OF ACT TWO

Comment

ACT THREE

OPEN ON ? ATLANTIC OCEAN

XAK and CHARLIE are stood opposite DANTE and SOFIA, clearly confused by what they are hearing.

XAK: Wait, what? What did this Cate look like?

DANTE: Do I have to answer that question?

SOFIA rolls her eyes.

SOFIA: She was Cate in every way but she was twisted; she told us to stay away and to not make her decisions for her.

XAK: Her decisions?

SOFIA: Yeah. She said Cate needed to deal with this on her own, in her own way...

XAK looks to CHARLIE.

XAK: Maybe this is a side effect of whatever Onyx Tonic she made? Could that be possible?

SOFIA: I guess so. I mean I never worked on anything like this in the laboratories of Wolfram and Hart but I know Trafford's been trying all sorts of combinations in order to master what it is that makes that stuff tick.

DANTE: So this Cate we saw could be what? Some sort of Onyx Tonic induced Cate who is astral projecting an image of herself from wherever she is?

XAK looks at him.

XAK: (surprised) Some days you can barely string a civilised sentence together, and then you come out with stuff like this...

DANTE rolls his eyes.

CHARLIE: Xak, he could be right. We need to find her, now. I don't care what she says...

XAK: You're right, whatever it was you guys saw we can't just leave her in The Aperture ? I just have no idea where to look...

SOFIA: Well if it helps. It's clearly not something she's ever desired before.

XAK: It's something new.

XAK looks down a million different scenarios running through his mind.

DANTE: Or something she needs.

XAK'S eyes widen as he realises it's so simple...

CHARLIE: We have no idea what she wants, or what she needs though. We know nothing about her anymore.

XAK: Actually, yes we do...

CHARLIE, DANTE and SOFIA look at him confused.

XAK: Think about it. The drinking, isolating herself, changing her attitude, Onyx Tonic... It's all escapism. She's escaping from herself. It's making her...

CHARLIE: (realising) ...Forget who she is. She wants to be forgotten... for good.

DANTE: You guys need to go, now.

SOFIA: We'll talk you through it.

XAK: How?

SOFIA: There's a sort of mystical tannoy in the Intelligence Unit. We'll be able to hear what you're saying and we'll be able to guide you.

XAK and CHARLIE nod.

SOFIA: Go, save your friend.

XAK bangs hard on the doorway three times.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
        LOBBY ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? NIGHT

SEPHY and ECHIDNA look shocked at what they've heard.

SEPHY: What?!

ECHIDNA: Is Elise ok, and Kaia?

BROGAN: Elise is unconscious still, Kaia...

He is unsure of how to answer on her behalf.

BROGAN: ...is fine.

SEPHY sighs.

SEPHY: By the gods. Well where are the others?

LANCE: They're in The Aperture, searching.

SEPHY looks to ECHIDNA.

SEPHY: Could you check on Elise? Assist Trafford in any way he needs...

ECHIDNA: Of course.

She swiftly departs. SEPHY looks at the boys.

SEPHY: Come, we must assist their search. Before this night kills me...

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN

TRAFFORD is still sat by ELISE'S bed awaiting her awakening. SHELTER is not there anymore. The door opens and ECHIDNA enters.

ECHIDNA: (glum) How is she?

TRAFFORD turns.

TRAFFORD: She's stable ? I think she's just concussed.

ECHIDNA nods.

TRAFFORD: I take it from your lack of happiness that...

ECHIDNA: Yes. But we'll find them. We just need to re-think our strategy.

TRAFFORD: Sounds fun.

He turns and looks down, sighing softly. ECHIDNA watches him, figuring.

ECHIDNA: You have feelings for her, don't you?

TRAFFORD: Who?

ECHIDNA: Cate.

TRAFFORD: What makes you say that?

ECHIDNA: You were sad before I told you about the mission, and you just said Elise is fine.

TRAFFORD: You don't know me.

ECHIDNA walks towards him.

ECHIDNA: Maybe not. But I've existed long enough to know that over two decades of loneliness can lead to romantic feelings to someone of the opposite sex.

TRAFFORD: She hurt my sister.

ECHIDNA places a hand on his shoulder for comfort.

ECHIDNA: And that's what hurts the most...

A tear falls from TRAFFORD'S eye as he finds it impossible to defy the words of a goddess.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN

The door to The Aperture closes and now only DANTE and SOFIA are stood in the corridor, uneasy. They look at one another as LANCE, BROGAN and SEPHY hurry towards them.

SEPHY: (frantic) Where are they?

DANTE: They've gone in. We're pretty certain we know where she is.

SEPHY: How certain?

SOFIA: I don't know. But we can talk to them from the Intel. Unit.

SEPHY nods and all five of them move quickly away from the doorway.

FLASH TO ? ?
        DINNER TABLE ? INT.BRONZE ? UNKNOWN

CATE stares at ALT.CATE and TOOLE stands, worried. The wedding guests look uncomfortable.

TOOLE: Cate, please.

CATE: (to ALT.CATE) Why are you here?

The table, the feast, the wedding guests ? all disappear. Only CATE, TOOLE and ALT.CATE remain.

ALT.CATE: To ask you the question you won't ask yourself. Is this what you truly desire?

The decorations fall into nothingness.

CATE: What?

ALT.CATE: It's a simple question Cathryn. However, it's only one you can answer. Not your Toole, not your friends, or the Syndicate. Just you. Alone. What is it you want?

CATE: It doesn't matter anymore. I'm dead.

ALT.CATE: No. You're not.

CATE looks at her confused and then looks to TOOLE who looks down guiltily.

FLASH TO ? THE APERTURE
        SHORE ? EXT.L'AZURA ? UNKNOWN

The light dies down to show XAK and CHARLIE stood on the shore of the beach of an island in L'Azura. They look around in shock.

CHARLIE: Are we in...

XAK: Oh my god...

They look at the tower in front of them.

SEPHY (O/S): (echoing) What can you see? Where are you?

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN

DANTE, LANCE, BROGAN, SEPHY and SOFIA are stood around a tannoy.

CHARLIE: (through the receiver) Mom?

SEPHY: I'm right here honey. Just talk me through it...

XAK: (through the receiver) We're in L'Azura...

LANCE looks horrified.

LANCE: What?!

DANTE looks to him but SEPHY and SOFIA remain focused.

SOFIA: Xak, which island?

XAK: (through the receiver) What do you mean?

SOFIA: There are hundreds of islands in L'Azura. Each one houses a tower for various purposes. The island where Lance and Melody were on was called L'Igatio; it's latin for imprison.

CHARLIE: (through the receiver) It looks exactly the same as the first!

SEPHY: What did you think in The Aperture to transport you to that island?

XAK: (through the receiver) We asked to be forgotten.

SOFIA: Then it's more than likely you'll be on L'Arcanas.

DANTE: Latin for forgotten.

XAK: (through the receiver) Sofia, what is on this island?

SOFIA: It's like a drug den...

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE
        SHORE ? L'ARCANAS ? UNKNOWN

XAK and CHARLIE look at one another.

SOFIA (O/S): (echoing) ...But worse. It's the only island in L'Azura that people go to voluntarily. They go when they feel they're forced to. They go to escape. No one's ever come out of their alive and if they do... they're not themselves. Hurry...

XAK and CHARLIE nod and rush towards the tower.

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE
        THE ROOM ? INT.TOWER - UNKNOWN

LEIGH looks out of the window with wide eyes as she sees XAK and CHARLIE approach. She begins to panic...

She runs past CATE and leaves her on the bed and disappears from the room into the corridor.

FLASH TO - ?/CATE'S MIND

CATE looks completely perplexed as to what she's heard. TOOLE takes a step back.

CATE: What do you mean I'm not dead?

ALT.CATE: It's all in your head Cate ? all of this. You're not dead yet, this is just how you picture your heaven.

CATE: Why is this happening to me...?

ALT.CATE: Because you forced it. It's time Cathryn; It's time to end this grief once and for all ? and this is your test. You must either accept your fate as a Slayer and the life it has led you to have, or you must die.

CATE: I don't get it, I thought the Onyx Tonic killed me.

TOOLE (O/S): It didn't...

She turns to look at him.

CATE: Toole?

TOOLE: What you took won't kill you, but it will...

ALT.CATE: ...If you don't decide soon.

TOOLE: In half an hour, you'll be dead, and you can have all you've seen here; an eternity of happiness with me.

ALT.CATE: Or you can accept the fact that Toole is dead once and for all and move on.

ALT.CATE moves towards CATE who looks completely torn as to what to do. ALT.CATE places a hand on her shoulder.

ALT.CATE: I hope you make the right decision. I'll always be here to guide you Cathryn, but at the end of the day... you make the choices.

She walks into and inside of CATE now and disappears. CATE turns to TOOLE...

TOOLE: Don't. I can't make this decision for you. I wish I could...

CATE: I don't know what to do.

She looks him in the eyes and reaches out to touch his face.

CATE: I have everything I ever wanted... but it's everything I should never have had.

TOOLE: I love you Cate... and always will.

CATE nods.

CATE: I love you too. That's why this it's killing me to even contemplate leaving you.

The camera pulls back to show them standing alone in The Bronze. An end is about to occur.

FLASH TO ? THE APERTURE
        CORRIDOR ? INT.TOWER ? UNKNOWN

XAK and CHARLIE begin walking down the corridors, looking in each dark room but seeing nothing.

CHARLIE: God, I hate this world... everything's so...

XAK: Creepy and wrong?

CHARLIE: Yeah.

They move forwards a bit further.

CHARLIE: (shouting) Cate!

XAK: (shouting) Cate! Where are you?

CHARLIE: (to XAK) Where is anything? This place is empty...

XAK stops walking as he looks in front of him.

XAK: Or not...

CHARLIE looks too. A dozen or so of the creatures that were swarming The Room are stood in front of them, snarling and clicking.

The camera rushes towards them, over them and past them. It reaches a cross road and shows LEIGH hiding behind a corner. She's only a few feet away from XAK and CHARLIE.

FLASH TO ? CATE'S MIND

CATE breaks away from TOOLE and looks at him.

CATE: I know what I'm gonna do...

He looks at her tearfully.

FLASH TO ? THE APERTURE
        CORRIDOR ? INT.TOWER ? UNKNOWN

The creatures begin to move towards them.

XAK: What are those things?

SOFIA (O/S): (echoing) Chances are the creatures you're encountering were once human. They're nothing anymore, just a shell ? no feelings, emotions or rational thought and living on pure instinct.

CHARLIE: Doesn't change anything. Human or not, nothing is getting in our way...

XAK nods agreeing.

They move forward and as they encounter some of the creatures they merely push them aside. The weak frame of their physical being crumples as they impact with one another and the wall. The sound of their bodies crashing into the walls echo throughout the corridors and LEIGH, now barely a few metres away from them, covers her ears.

XAK and CHARLIE stop at the crossroads and look back at the deceased creatures. LEIGH has disappeared. They can see four corridors and are unsure of where to go.

XAK: That was... easy.

CHARLIE: Come on. She could be in any of these rooms.

They advance down one of the corridors but it fills with not dozens but hundreds of the creatures ? all shapes and sizes. They look back at the other routes ? all of them blocked with the same number of creatures.

CHARLIE: What do we do?!

Suddenly before XAK has to think, a hatch above them drops open and a rope falls down. They look at it.

XAK: What?

CHARLIE: Xak! There's no time!

The creatures are close, and there's no way they can take them all. CHARLIE jumps at the rope and begins climbing.

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE
        UPPER FLOOR CORRIDOR ? INT.TOWER ? UNKNOWN

The camera shows LEIGH standing next to the hatch, tying extra knots in the rope which is tied to one of the pipes that is running along the ceiling. She sees CHARLIE about to emerge...

LEIGH: (whispering) You're welcome...

She smiles weakly and then runs away.

CHARLIE emerges from the hole and sees the empty corridor she clambers to the floor and puts her hand out for XAK.

CHARLIE: Xak! Come on!

The camera shows him jumping at the rope and he begins to climb, but then the creatures cover him.

CHARLIE: Xak!

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
        INTELLIGENCE UNIT ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE ? NIGHT

The gang look worried hearing CHARLIE'S scream. The sound of XAK and CHARLIE turns muffled and hazy.

BROGAN: (concerned) What's wrong?

SOFIA: Damn it. We lost the feed...

SEPHY: Get them back... Now!

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE
        UPPER FLOOR CORRIDOR ? INT.TOWER - UNKNOWN

XAK is struggling to hold on to the rope as the weight of the creatures brings him down. He looks up to CHARLIE, desperately.

XAK: (groaning) Charlie! Go... Find her!

CHARLIE: No! I can't leave you!

XAK: GO!

He falls to the floor and the creatures cover him completely until he disappears from CHARLIE'S sight. She cries and pants for breath.

CHARLIE: (crying) No...

She looks up and down the corridor. Only one door is open. The door to The Room...

She looks back at the hatch.

CHARLIE: Xak...

She can't see him anymore.

FLASH TO ? CATE'S MIND

CATE is stood some distance from TOOLE. She turns back at him.

CATE: I love you Toole. I don't think I'll ever be able to express just how much you mean to me. When I was without you I was nothing. Sometimes I couldn't even breathe knowing you weren't there to breathe with me...

He looks down, tearful. Tears begin streaming from her face...

CATE: But I'm gonna have to learn how to do it, because I can't stay...

FLASH TO ? THE APERTURE
        UPPER FLOOR CORRIDOR ? INT.TOWER ? UNKNOWN

CHARLIE stands and moves towards the hatch. The rope falls down through the hatch and the hatch slams shut.

She gasps.

She closes her eyes and breathes deeply, before opening them again. She walks forwards and walks towards the open door.

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE

CHARLIE appears in the doorway. Her jaw drop and she almost wants to collapse when she sees her friend on the bed.

CHARLIE: Oh my god... No...

SEPHY (O/S): (echoing) Charlie?! We lost you for a second there. What's wrong?

CHARLIE: (panicking) I've found her... She's unconscious! She's... she's still... She's so still...

SEPHY (O/S): (echoing) Is she breathing?!

It's clear by the look of shock on her face: CHARLIE doesn't know what to do.

SEPHY (O/S): (echoing) Charlie! Is she alive?

CHARLIE places a finger on CATE'S neck.

CHARLIE: Barely... She's fading... God! What do I do?!

SEPHY (O/S): (echoing) Char... Yo... Go...

SEPHY cuts out. CHARLIE is alone. Instinct takes over as she pulls CATE to the floor and as she does...

SONG: BAT FOR LASHES ? SAD EYES

FLASH TO ? CATE'S MIND

CATE moves towards him.

TOOLE: Cate...

CATE: I know. I know it's hard... But I shouldn't be here Toole ? I see that now... One day I'll come back to you, but not now. There's so much I need to do, so many more people I need to help, before I can find you again.

They both weep for her bravery and the imminent loss. She only has a few minutes left... (The music below plays throughout)

"I don't like the things you don't say
        Leaving it for such a long long time
        Why do you show me those sad sad eyes
        Each time you decide to pass on by
        "

TOOLE: This is goodbye.

CATE: It's never goodbye.

TOOLE: (softly) I'll always love you Cate. Always...

CATE: (whispering) I know. It'll always be always...

(The music below plays throughout)

"And when you smile those sad eyes
        Look sadder and sadder still
        Autumns you know sad eyes
        Makes me laugh and laugh and more
        I'll have a bath or make the dinner and then I'll go wait for a long long time
        But still you haven't passed my door
        "

FLASH TO ? THE APERTURE
        CROSSROADS ? INT.TOWER ? UNKNOWN

The camera shows a crowd of the creatures swarming over XAK at the crossroads. With a sudden burst of energy ? drawn from deep within - he stands, forcing all of the creatures backwards in their respective direction. He moves with exigency down one of the corridors. (The music below plays throughout)

"And when you smile those sad eyes
        I can tell that you're lonely
        "

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN

Everyone is rushing to regain a signal with The Aperture. Even though they all move with urgency, there is no noise and a sense of hopelessness spreads throughout the room... (The music below plays throughout)

"But it seems now
        There's nothing you want me to do
        "

CUT TO ? THE APERTURE

CHARLIE kneels next to CATE as tears pour from her eyes. As CATE'S pulse stops she begins to pound her friend's chest.

CHARLIE: (pleading) Cate! Come on! Don't die...

She goes to give her mouth to mouth and as she does... (The music below plays throughout)

"So I won't try to take the sadness from those eyes that I love
        Leave it open for someone else to
        And when you smile those sad eyes
        "

FLASH TO ? CATE'S MIND

CATE kisses TOOLE and holds him closely in her grip.

As quickly as she embraced him she releases him and turns. She hitches up her dress and walks towards the front door.

TOOLE just watches her leave. A sense of pride filling him as he watches his bride leave. (The music below plays throughout)

"Trying to hold it together
        Keep my love as light as a feather
        Sad eyes baby it's been such a long time
        Keep my heart breaking in the dark
        Come and spend the day...
        "

FLASH TO ? THE APERTURE

CHARLIE continuously pounds on CATE'S chest frantically trying to resuscitate her. It's too late.

There's nothing she can do. She falls forwards and weeps on her dead friend's chest. As XAK rushes to the entrance of The Room all he can do is look on helplessly. (The music below plays throughout)

"Trying to hold it together
        Keep my love as light as a feather
        Sad eyes baby it's been such a long time
        Keep my heart breaking in the dark
        Come and spend the day
        "

FLASH TO ? CATE'S MIND
        ENTRANCE ? INT.BRONZE ? UNKNOWN

CATE opens the door and in front of her is just warmth. She can hear the faint crying of CHARLIE.

She doesn't look back, there's no need to. She's finally found her solace, her retribution and her release...

She walks through the door. (The music below plays throughout)

"Sad eyes..."

FLASH TO ? THE APERTURE
        THE ROOM ? INT.BRONZE ? UNKNOWN

The song begins to die down as all we hear are CHARLIE'S tears. She grips tightly on to CATE.

XAK walks slowly towards her and kneels down. He reaches out and touches her shoulder. She's startled and sits up.

She doesn't know what to say on seeing him, all she does is lunge at him and he holds her tightly, looking down at CATE lying motionless on the floor.

XAK: Charlie I'm so so sorry...

The camera leaves the embracing couple and pans down to CATE'S body. It pans up it from her feet to her head. It lies on her head for a while and fixates on her glazed eyes. Slowly... the glaze leaves her and her eyes close.

She coughs.

XAK and CHARLIE turn surprised.

CHARLIE: Cate?

CATE: (weakly, barely whispering) I'm sorry...

CHARLIE laughs and her tears now turn to tears of happiness. Her and XAK smile as they move back towards her once again. This time they don't need to save her. They just need to take her home...

Despite being weak, CATE'S eyes briefly flicker open. The first thing she sees is an image of a woman in the doorway, which she could swear was LEIGH...

Weakly, her eyes close again, but her breaths return in a soft flow...

The camera shows a high angled viewpoint of XAK, CHARLIE and CATE on the floor of The Room.

The worst was behind her...

TOOLE (V/O): I love you.

...at last.

CUT TO BLACK

END OF ACT THREE
        Lex
        "I have no shadow."
        Last edited by Lex; 10-04-08, 11:49 PM.

Comment

ACT FOUR

OPEN ON ? NEW YORK
          CONTAINERS ? EXT.DOCKS ? MORNING

As the sun begins to rise in the background TRAFFORD stands alone amongst the containers of the docks. In front of him is an empty metal bin. Inside the bin is everything that is linked to the gang's past from the cabinet in the Medical Ward. From the transgression fluid to A.I.D.A'S blood... it's all burning away. He stares at the flames.

SEPHY (O/S): Are you sure that's wise?

The camera rotates to show SEPHY emerging from the stairway to the base. He doesn't turn around.

TRAFFORD: I don't want anyone getting harmed again because of my choices.

SEPHY walks towards him now.

SEPHY: Well I can't disagree with that.

She stands next to him now and looks at the flames with him.

SEPHY: I've destroyed The Aperture.

TRAFFORD looks slightly surprised.

TRAFFORD: Why? This stuff was never going to bring any good to us, I see that now. But The Aperture could provide sanctuary if we need it.

SEPHY: I made a decision Trafford and I stick by it. Cate is very important to my daughter and if she had died in that place it would have been my fault for showing her a doorway to hell.

The flames reflect in her pupils.

SEPHY: (quietly) That's why.

TRAFFORD: At least she's ok.

SEPHY: She's alive Trafford, I'm not sure if she's "ok".

TRAFFORD: At least she's alive...

SEPHY: You mustn't talk that way.

TRAFFORD: Why not?

SEPHY: Because we will find Ursula and Constance and bring them home. It's just...

TRAFFORD: ...One victory at a time, I guess.

SEPHY: Indeed.

She notices the warmth from the sun, as well as the warmth from the flames.

SEPHY: The day is dawning, do not stay here long.

She turns now and begins walking back towards the container.

TRAFFORD: Sephy...

She turns.

SEPHY: Yes?

TRAFFORD now reveals he has something in his hands. It's CATE'S x-rays from the hospital.

TRAFFORD: You entrusted me with these. Would you like me to burn them as well?

SEPHY looks at the file and then walks towards him. She takes them from his hand.

SEPHY: No, I'll be holding on to these for now.

She looks him in the eyes.

SEPHY: Remember, it's just between you and me...

TRAFFORD: ...And Constance.

SEPHY nods.

SEPHY: Of course. Get some rest... she'll need you.

She smiles weakly and with the x-rays in her hand she moves towards the stairway once again as TRAFFORD turns back to the fire of plastic fumes and dark pasts.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
          MYSTIC LABS ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ - MORNING

KAIA is sat at her desk, her back to the door. She is staring into blank space and barely even registers BROGAN entering the room from behind.

BROGAN: I just thought you'd wanna know that Cate is back. She's in the Medical Ward so I brought you some painkillers...

He places them on the side.

BROGAN: ...I figured you wouldn't really want to see her.

She remains silent but it's clear she is listening. He looks beat at the lack of response.

BROGAN: I'll see you around...

He turns and goes to leave, but KAIA stands and turns.

KAIA: Ea, wait.

He stops and looks back at her.

KAIA: I'm a bitch. I know I'm a bitch. I take things to heart and I blame everyone else for anything bad.

She walks towards him.

KAIA: But you don't give up on me. Ever.

She takes the pills from the side, and looks at them touched. She smiles at him. Then leans forward and kisses him on his cheek.

KAIA: I just wanted to thank you.

BROGAN looks thrown and completely baffled.

BROGAN: Uh, no problem...

She smiles and turns back to the Mystic Lab and walks towards the desk to take her pills. BROGAN watches her for a second and then turns and walks back into the corridor.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
          TRAINING ROOM ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? MORNING

In the Training Room someone is running on the treadmill. The camera pans up to show a man running, it's LANCE. He looks determined and breathes heavily as he works out.

SOFIA (O/S): Thought you'd be asleep?

The camera rotates to show SOFIA walking into the room.

LANCE: I think that would make this extreme sleepwalking if I were.

SOFIA: Guess it would.

LANCE: Why are you here?

SOFIA: I wanted to talk to you about earlier...

LANCE: No need.

SOFIA: I just want to make myself clear Lance, because I think we're all dancing around this m?nage ? trios a bit too lightly.

LANCE is silent.

SOFIA: Stay away from Dante. He's not right for you. Believe me, it's for your own good.

LANCE: Are you quite finished?

She pauses.

SOFIA: Yes.

LANCE: Good. Now get out...

SOFIA looks at him for a moment and then turns and leaves the training room.

LANCE presses a button on the treadmill so it travels faster causing him to run. Run faster.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
          CORRIDOR ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? MORNING

The camera focuses on the door to the Medical Ward.

CHARLIE (O/S): I don't know what to say to her...

XAK (O/S): It doesn't matter. She'll just be glad you're there.

The camera pulls back to show XAK and CHARLIE stood nervously outside the door.

CHARLIE looks at him.

CHARLIE: You're sure?

XAK touches her arm.

XAK: Of course I am. She needs you.

CHARLIE: Yeah...

XAK: Give her my love.

He smiles at CHARLIE and then turns to leave. CHARLIE looks at the door and then to him.

CHARLIE: You know for a moment back there, I thought I had lost you.

He turns back and looks at her.

XAK: Can't get rid of me that easily. I thought you'd have realised that by now. I'll never leave you...

CHARLIE smiles weakly, and XAK does the same.

XAK: Go, see her...

CHARLIE nods and breathes deeply before opening the door and entering the Medical Ward.

As she closes the door BROGAN approaches down the corridor. XAK looks to him.

XAK: (sighing) Hey.

BROGAN: Rough night, huh?

XAK: God yeah.

BROGAN: Want a get a beer?

XAK: At six in the morning? Best idea I've heard in a while.

BROGAN smiles and pats XAK on the back as they both move away down the corridor.

CUT TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
          MEDICAL WARD ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? MORNING

The camera shows the empty Medical Ward and pans around to show a hospital bed. ELISE isn't in it. CATE is.

She's lying down under the covers looking blankly upwards. Colour has returned to her face but she looks exhausted.

CHARLIE (O/S): Xak sends his love.

CATE smiles weakly.

CATE: That's sweet of him.

CHARLIE moves on screen and sits on the edge of her bed. They're silent for a moment.

CHARLIE: (quietly) Why, Cate?

CATE closes her eyes.

CATE: (whispering) God I'm so sorry. I never want to scare or hurt any of you the way I did.

CHARLIE: I believe you. I just didn't know what to think...

CATE: It's just... I didn't know how to be Cate, without being Cate and Toole. I'd planned my life with him and that just went away in an instant.

CHARLIE: I know how that can feel.

CATE: And all the time I was wishing I hadn't left him in that lobby. I thought if I'd stayed with him, or gotten there sooner... I could have saved him.

CHARLIE: Cate you cannot torture yourself with these suppositions. What happened to him was sad, twisted and wrong, but it was the result of two messed up people's actions; not yours.

CATE: I know. I know that now. I just don't know why I couldn't see that then...

CHARLIE: You were grieving.

CATE: No. No I wasn't. I was drinking with vampires, hurting those who I love; injecting myself with something I know was going to hurt me, all to just prolong the process. That's not grieving...

A tear fills her eye.

CATE: I just didn't know... I still don't truly know, how to exist without him next to me all the way.

CHARLIE puts a hand on her friend's arm.

CHARLIE: I will get you through this, all of us will Cate.

CATE: I know you will... because I'm done. I'm done being the widow who can't grieve and I'm done escaping my responsibilities.

CHARLIE: (smiling) That's good.

CATE: It's just... It's Toole, you know?

CHARLIE: I do, Toole was a big part of all of our lives and I will never forget all he did for us and all he gave...

She looks tearful now. The music begins to start...

SONG: ADELE ? HOMETOWN GLORY

CHARLIE: ...But he's dead and we're alive. We have to live Cate, because there's so much we can do in his honour if we do. He's dead...

The piano music begins to play as CATE gasps for breath and the tears begin falling down her recently warmed face.

CATE: He's dead. He's really dead...

CHARLIE nods.

CHARLIE: I know sweetie. I know...

CATE'S eyes frantically search around the room.

It's like for the first time since she's been awake that she's properly allowed herself to digest the news.

CATE'S eyes can only lie on her friend as the piano begins to get faster she grabs her friend and holds on to her crying.

CHARLIE holds her too and cries with her. (The music below plays throughout)

"I've been walking in the same way as I did
          Missing out the cracks in the pavement
          And tutting my heel and strutting my feet
          "

FADE TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
          DANTE AND LANCE'S ROOM ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ - MORNING

DANTE lies on his bed staring at the ceiling and wanting to look at LANCE'S empty bed, but he knows all he should be doing is thinking. He turns his back to LANCE'S bed. (The music below plays throughout)

""Is there anything I can do for you dear? Is there anyone I can call?"
          "No and thank you, please Madam. I ain't lost, just wandering"
          "

FADE TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
          TRAINING ROOM ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? MORNING

SOFIA walks away from LANCE who is training hard. As she disappears from sight though he stops the machine and it comes to a stop. He embraces the grips of the machine and looks completely torn at what he should be doing and why he should be doing it. (The music below plays throughout)

"Round my hometown
          Memories are fresh
          Round my hometown
          Ooh the people I've met
          Are the wonders of my world
          Are the wonders of this world
          "

FADE TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
          KAIA'S ROOM ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ - MORNING

KAIA is sat at her dresser and is brushing her hair and looking in the mirror. She feels like she should be smiling but she can't. (The music below plays throughout)

"I like it in the city when the air is so thick and opaque"

FADE TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
          ELISE'S ROOM ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ - MORNING

SHELTER is sat on the edge of ELISE'S bed. ELISE is still sleeping but she is safe. Her best friend is watching over her. (The music below plays throughout)

"I love to see everybody in short skirts, shorts and shades"

FADE TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
          SEPHY'S ROOM ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? MORNING

SEPHY is placing CATE'S x-rays into a safe. She closes it and locks the safe. She turns to see ECHIDNA stood nearby who smiles reassuringly at her. (The music below plays throughout)

"I like it in the city when two worlds collide
          You get the people and the government
          Everybody taking different sides
          "

FADE TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
          KITCHEN ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ ? MORNING

XAK and BROGAN are sat at the table in the kitchen talking to one another with a bottle of beer in one another's hands. XAK smiles at BROGAN. He'd thought about TOOLE a lot tonight. (The music below plays throughout)

"Shows that we ain't gonna stand s**t
          Shows that we are united
          Shows that we ain't gonna take it
          Shows that we ain't gonna stand s**t
          Shows that we are united
          "

FADE TO ? L'AZURA
          LEIGH'S ROOM ? INT.L'ARCANAS TOWER ? UNKNOWN

LEIGH enters her room once again. She feels torn about what she did tonight. She's not sure why she helped them, but she knew she'd sleep better in her moth eaten forgotten room because of it. She sits on the edge of the bed and lies down once again. (The music below plays throughout)

"Round my hometown
          Memories are fresh
          Round my hometown
          Ooh the people I've met
          "

FADE TO ? ATLANTIC OCEAN
          CORRIDOR ? INT.KALIPSO SYNDICATE HQ - MORNING

TRAFFORD slowly approaches the doorway to the Medical Ward. He breathes deeply and opens the door slightly to see CATE in CHARLIE'S embrace. He looks at her fondly and looks down. He doesn't go in, he just closes the door. (The music below plays throughout)

"Are the wonders of my world
          Are the wonders of this world
          "

FADE TO BLACK

"Are the wonders of my world"

END OF EPISODE

Cast:
          MILO VENTIMIGLIA as XAK THORN
          ALEXIS BLEDEL as CHARLIE ADRASTOS
          AMANDA SEYFRIED as CATE RITTLE
          CHRIS EVANS as DANTE TURNPIKE
          CHAD MICHAEL MURRAY as LANCE EMORY
          JENSEN ACKLES as EA BROGAN
          EMILIE DE RAVIN as KAIA THORN
          and SUMMER GLAU as SIN

Special Guest Stars:
          MORENA BACCARIN as SOFIA ROSE
          GABRIELLE UNION as SHELTER
          PAUL WALKER as TRAFFORD ARTAIR
          BECKI NEWTON as ELISE ARTAIR
          RACHEL MCADAMS as LEIGH SINCLAIR
          PATRICIA ARQUETTE as SEPHY
          ALI LARTER as ECHIDNA

Extremely Special Guest Star:
          ALAN TUDYK as TOOLE EMORY

Special Mention:
          JACK PENATE ? MY YVONNE
          QUEEN ? NO ONE BUT YOU (ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG)
          BAT FOR LASHES ? SAD EYES
          ADELE ? HOMETOWN GLORY

Comment

If you would like to give me feedback on Shadow Stalker, visit my thread here! I'm always happy to hear from you and I usually comment on the feedback as well!

TRIVIA AND RANDOM FACTS FOR "3.11 ? TOTALLY, METAPHYSICAL!"

- A bit of a sad episode I think you'll agree. The name of this episode is obviously borrowed from the Season One episode "1.10 ? So, Metaphysical!" where Cate and Toole share a conversation regarding the prospect of an outer body experience as being "So, Metaphysical!" I'm unsure as to whether there will be a third in this series, but there could be!

- So the barman returned for this episode! I don't usually like resurrecting dead and buried characters but I feel it worked well considering the magnitude of what Cate was going through, and the only person who could have helped Cate get past this, was him. I'm still unsure as to whether I will be bringing him back again.

- Of course, Toole wasn't the only resurrected ghost: Leigh Sinclair. So will she return one day?

- You may have noticed I have renamed 3.14 and 3.15. Their original names were "Look To The Eastern Sky" and "Crossroads". However after further planning and deeper understanding of what I want to do with the episode I feel the new names: "3.14 ? Corinne La Fame" and "3.15 ? Thorn In My Side", are much more appropriate. I'm sure you'll want to know what these new episodes mean but I'll wait until the episodes (and their "Trivia and Random Facts") arise as to explain more intricately the reason behind the swap!

- So what's happening with all the love?! Xak and Charlie? Dante and Lance/Sofia? Trafford and Cate? Brogan and Kaia? Well? some developments are made in all of those in the next episode?

- No Sin in this episode. Thought it best to keep her out of it, but she'll be in the next episode? but will Ursula and Constance ever be found?

- There is a new banner system with each episode. I started it last episode and continued it with this one. In each banner will be the title of the episode, the SS logo and a character involved in a scene. Next episode, the character is Lance.

- I chose not to do Trivia/Random Facts for the last episode out of respect for the sadness. Sorry to those who missed it ? but it's back now!

- Ok, so "3.12 ? Instinct" is up next. Like I said expect a development with the love story lines and expect Lance's powers to be revealed at last?

Comment

Working...
            X