Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback for Dorian's Kitten

Post feedback for Dorian's Kitten in here

Thanks Llywela. I shall follow your advice and keep an index in the first post.

My Buffyverse Fics:

Question and Answers *Fic of the Month for May 2007

Questions and Answers: Alternative Ending

Reunion:A Buffy season eight ficlet

Key: A Drabble

Dawn After the Dark

A New Day, A New Dawn: The Sequel to Dawn After the Dark WIP

Getting Your Final Affairs in Order * Third Place in Challenge #2 "Makin' Up is Hard to Do" from KoC

Prior Claims

I adore feedback, so please if you read my stuff-let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Dorian's Kitten; 04-05-08, 05:07 AM.
    "All I ask is that... that you try to see me."

Comment

Wow there's so much good to comment on here.

You write Spike amazingly well and i think the tone and pace of his speech in all of your work is absolutely spot on. I would probably single out dawn after dark/a new day a new dawn (as it's a sort of continuation) as it seems to have a little deeper plotting in it. I love the idea of the gangster baddies and dawn comes of really well here too. She still has that air of independence and slight bolshy edge to her but more grown up and much more... mature... in the way she handles things.

And the way the last chapter ended....!!!
      Last edited by tangent; 18-06-07, 10:17 PM.
      JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
      Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Awww...thanks, you make me blush. Such compliments and coming from such a great writer...

I still have a lot planned for Dawnie and Spike; so stay tuned.

Comment

Love the new Plot Twist!!! Just adore Spike in this fic!
          -TP<3
          "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
          - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

I read "Key: a Drabble" and liked it. Well, I loved it because I hated it. I hated it because it's exactly authentic to what would have happened in Season 7 and I don't like that it would have happened. But the fact that you made me hate it is why I love it.

You follow?

You drabbled on me.
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

Thanks!!! I do try to keep things authentic. As much as I'd love for things to get all light and happy-that's just not Spuffy. Spuffy is mixed messages and little surprise moments. And if you hate it then it must feel real, a lovely compliment indeed.

Comment

DK - Loved The Key!

Such sweet Spuffy goodness!!
                -TP<3
                "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

The Poet's <3- I hope you give my story a peek. I think it is right up your alley.

Comment

Okay. I've just got up to date on prior claims and so far i'm really enjoying it. The idea of Buffy owning Spikes soul is a great one and as per usual the writing is clear, concise, sharp and very eloquent.

I think you've done a great job with Spike's voice. That unelborated curtness that accompanies his sentences is spot on, although perhaps in a couple of places the 'pet's get a little bit overused and i wouldn't mind him using her name a little more. The scenes where they are together though are great and the chemistry between the two characters just floods out. Part of the Spuffy ship has, to me, always been the way the two of them seem to bring out the vulnerabilities in each other and that comes across really well. Modesty forbids me to go into the more action packed scenes but they are done in a way that's both tasteful but still very powerful.

Overall i'm very, very keen to see where this one is going and will be following it with a great deal of interest.
                    Last edited by tangent; 28-09-07, 05:36 PM.
                    JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                    Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Thanks Mark!
                      I'm always eager to hear what you're thinking. I'll definitely watch the 'pet' thing. I guess I have a hard time writing him saying Buffy, because I have a hard time hearing that in my head. But it does happen and would make sense for it to happen more in this fic. I'm on it!

As far as things being tasteful, that's my betas doing. Almost the only comments she gives me are to take out the naughty words. Makes things a bit tougher to write but it keeps it more romantic I think.

Comment

Prior Claims...

Oh it's so good DK... So good...

(Missed your writing!)
                        -TP<3

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

At last more Prior Claims!

Loving the all new human and very vulnerable spike. Loving the fact that your taking the time to repair the Giles/Buffy relationship and the first steps of this are so, so touching and absolutely Loving your Willow.

I'm liking where your taking this and that your taking your time getting there allowing a little bit of everydayness into the piece which makes for so many lovely character moments. I think the Voices are very, very good although a few small Americanisms do creep into Giles (but hey, he's lived in america for quite a long time so whose to say they wouldn't)

Anyway i remain amongst your army of eager readers so, more please.
                          JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                          Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Love Spike and Willow together. That's a pairing with such good resonances, both with their guilt to bear and both sharing so much history.

The new, viulnerable Spike is so different but so much still Spike. It's a tricky balance but it's coming through strongly for me. Lovuing the dreams and can't wait to find out what's behind them.

Never tried tomato soup and grilled cheese though.
                            JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                            Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Thanks Mark. It is a really tricky combo for me to write. I'm not so confident about Willow's jokes. But I feel like she would try some and kind of fail. But at the same time I'm trying to give her that timeless feminine wisdom thing that she gains in later seasons and seems to have in the comics. And Spike is definitely at a vulnerable spot but I am trying to still show some core strength. It's tricky though since I'm having to decide how much of "Spike" was the demon and how much was William. My personal theory is that "Spike" was very much a mask created by William to hide behind and that the demon simply made it much easier to maintain, but you pretend anything for long enough you would change some so... yeah it's tricky.

Grilled cheese and tomato soup is excellent-the perfect chilly Sunday afternoon lunch. Maybe it is an American thing?
                              Anyway thank you for the feedback, I love hearing your thoughts.

Comment

DK - So glad you wrote more Prior Claims!!! I didn't know you had added a few more chapters. These were just as wonderful as the last!!!
                                -TP<3

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Thanks Poet! I have a couple more twists up my sleeve and I'm really excited to unveil them so I hope to get this one wrapped up this week!

Comment

Well, I've gone back and re-read "Prior Claims" up to this point, and I decided I'd give my review and feedback. Spoilered it for length and, well, spoilers.

Spoiler:
                                    This is a kind of fic that I actually like to write myself -- basically 'slice of life' stories, everyday behavior for the Scoobies and not always just a story about a big monster or adventure. Granted, Spike reappearing isn't "everyday" stuff, nor are his circumstances, but I like that the context of this is... making cookies. Having sandwiches. People visiting. People spending the day in bed just because.

Now, I know that this is written AU for after "Not Fade Away", so I'm not worried about Season 8 canon and stuff, but there are couple of plot points that have felt off to me.

1. Spike turns up human after facing down big apocalyptic scale evil. It really felt off to me that he didn't at first at least wonder if it meant he'd been Shanshu'd. He was aware of and *quite* interested in the prophecy (probably for exactly the reason of the benefits he's getting now, namely Buffy), and while I really *love* what you've come up with as a plot idea for him still being around in general... it didn't even occur to him?

2. It also felt jarring to me that Buffy would think of what went down in L.A. as a "saving the world" type thing, especially if she had been brought up to speed. Because, really, it wasn't. I can't even really see the case. But, that's more of a "KoC disagrees on the meaning and substance of the actual Buffy canon" and not a "DK's story is flawed" type of comment, so it really doesn't mean anything.

Those are the only "plot" type things I had a problem with. It's actually pretty compelling and original. It's concepts that the Buffyverse hasn't even proposed, but they are nicely done, it doesn't feel like the rules are just made up, you've got your phlebotenous premise and aren't just winging it.

In fact, there are ways in which I like the implications of their relationship in these circumstances more than I ever did on the show. There's a series of novels I like by Rachel Caine, called the "Weather Warden" series, which prominently feature the idea of Djinn and the people that they serve, and the problems of a relationship between human master and Djinn servant. Some of those themes are brought up in this dynamic -- with the status quo, can Buffy and Spike ever have an equal relationship? With his very existence dependant on her? It's something I'm looking forward to as the story builds toward whatever conclusion you have planned.

Ah, there were a couple of character things I am a little unconvinced by as well, that are worth mentioning.

1. The idea that Spike would want to be a vampire again, let alone that Buffy felt *okay with that idea*, felt decidedly out of character to me. It's a hard thing to think of Spike's "... so one of us is living" thought in the musical, or his enthusiasm and hope for the Shanshu in Season 5 of Angel, and imagine that he'd have a grass-is-greener impulse to want to throw humanity away. And even less so that Buffy, whose biggest obstacle to a meaningful, lasting relationship with Angel or Spike was that they were vampires, would go for it.

2. There really isn't a two here, but I said "1." so I had to say "2." as well.

Back to the positive. Willow and Spike stuff is pretty entertaining. I like the idea of them bonding. And, I love grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. So, goodness there, to be sure.

DK, you're sex scenes are *hot*. I mean whoa hot. And you earn them so well with a thought out plot and commitment to your understanding of the characters that I really forgot to expect them.

Only forgot another thing that wasn't great. Weaz Xander? Weaz Dawn? Both of them would have pretty compelling interests in and reactions to this relationship, and I gotta admit I'd feel a little short-changed if they weren't explored.

But, to tie it off with positive -- I love that you have found a healthier *concept* of love between these two characters than the show itself ever managed to do. I thought they were cute pretty much up until they became lovers. You've clearly invested in the idea that they have an interest in who each other are in a way that Season 6 bootycall Spuffy never did.
                                    sigpic
                                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Wow. Thanks KoC, this is a lot of review. Since you took the time to write it all, I figure the least I can do is try to address it all. so here goes:

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                                      Well, I've gone back and re-read "Prior Claims" up to this point, and I decided I'd give my review and feedback. Spoilered it for length and, well, spoilers.

Spoiler:
                                      This is a kind of fic that I actually like to write myself -- basically 'slice of life' stories, everyday behavior for the Scoobies and not always just a story about a big monster or adventure. Granted, Spike reappearing isn't "everyday" stuff, nor are his circumstances, but I like that the context of this is... making cookies. Having sandwiches. People visiting. People spending the day in bed just because.

I wanted to see how the relationship worked when they weren't in the midst of a battle. How all of their relationships worked in that setting really. The whole final season is so focused on the first and how they really have no choice but to work together, I wanted to check out where that had left them. I wanted to look at the characters of Spike and Buffy interacting without all the vamp/slayer drama. I've often thought that they had similar senses of humor and rather complimentary personalities. (She's bossy-He's fine with it., They both have a bit of a competitive streak. etc.) I also wanted some to time to look at the implications (for Buffy) of the spell making tons of Slayers. I don't believe that Buffy would give up slaying, but I do think she might be able to have a bit more ordinary a life. Finally I was hoping that through some of those details I could show that Buffy has grown up a lot. Maybe she is done baking, of baked enough to know that we all are always changing and what's most important is finding someone who love and accepts are your core ingredients.

Now, I know that this is written AU for after "Not Fade Away", so I'm not worried about Season 8 canon and stuff, but there are couple of plot points that have felt off to me.

1. Spike turns up human after facing down big apocalyptic scale evil. It really felt off to me that he didn't at first at least wonder if it meant he'd been Shanshu'd. He was aware of and *quite* interested in the prophecy (probably for exactly the reason of the benefits he's getting now, namely Buffy), and while I really *love* what you've come up with as a plot idea for him still being around in general... it didn't even occur to him?

So first there was a mention of the Shanshu: "Spike watched Buffy leave the room before turning and walking into the bathroom. He was once again startled by his reflection and found himself starring at it for several minutes. How had this happened? How was it that he was not dead? The prophecy hadn't been for him, he was sure of that, regardless of what he may have said to the contrary. " Here was my thinking-Spike has a pretty serious inferiority complex by this point. He may have tried to "win" the Shanshu, but he wouldn't expect it to be handed to him over Angel. Angel always wins. He was always faster, stronger, eviler, gooder, more loved, more hated, etc. I think that at this point, having just had his ass kicked in battle, knowing that everyone is dead, feeling like crap himself- I don't think that Spike would imagine that the PTB were on his side. I think he suspects that there is something bad happening, that its a trick on him or on Buffy or that it's a spell. I'm not saying that he would never have come around to the idea, just that standing there injured and confused, he wouldn't have thought "yeah I beat Angel". Especially not right after learning that Angel was dead. A fact that I believe would tear him up a bit, all their fighting aside. You can feel free to disagree. It's not really all that important to the story, he could have come downstairs and said that he knew what was happing and explained about that Shanshu and then Buffy could have explained otherwise. I liked leaving him in the dark for a bit.

2. It also felt jarring to me that Buffy would think of what went down in L.A. as a "saving the world" type thing, especially if she had been brought up to speed. Because, really, it wasn't. I can't even really see the case. But, that's more of a "KoC disagrees on the meaning and substance of the actual Buffy canon" and not a "DK's story is flawed" type of comment, so it really doesn't mean anything.

Okay then maybe I don't need to discuss it. I guess though that if they had succeeded in ending the senior partners then they would have saved the world from a lot of evil. And wasn't there supposed to be a big apocalypse thingy?

Those are the only "plot" type things I had a problem with. It's actually pretty compelling and original. It's concepts that the Buffyverse hasn't even proposed, but they are nicely done, it doesn't feel like the rules are just made up, you've got your phlebotenous premise and aren't just winging it.

In fact, there are ways in which I like the implications of their relationship in these circumstances more than I ever did on the show. There's a series of novels I like by Rachel Caine, called the "Weather Warden" series, which prominently feature the idea of Djinn and the people that they serve, and the problems of a relationship between human master and Djinn servant. Some of those themes are brought up in this dynamic -- with the status quo, can Buffy and Spike ever have an equal relationship? With his very existence dependant on her? It's something I'm looking forward to as the story builds toward whatever conclusion you have planned.

Yeah. I thought it would be interested to make Spike's inability to leave Buffy and physical element instead of an emotional one. I kind of think it's a Buffyesque thing to have happen. They're stuck with each other-literally and metaphorically. And I liked being able to have that moment where Spike told her that he hurt whenever she wasn't in the room and she thought it was the spell/claim but it was just the love. The idea that loving someone is a bit like handing a piece of yourself over to be either protected or destroyed. Spike has been doing that all along. Now it's just been made literal as well. I'm glad that you're wondering about the equality of their relationship because I think it is a really important element. I don't want to give too much away here, but I will discuss it briefly below.

Ah, there were a couple of character things I am a little unconvinced by as well, that are worth mentioning.

1. The idea that Spike would want to be a vampire again, let alone that Buffy felt *okay with that idea*, felt decidedly out of character to me. It's a hard thing to think of Spike's "... so one of us is living" thought in the musical, or his enthusiasm and hope for the Shanshu in Season 5 of Angel, and imagine that he'd have a grass-is-greener impulse to want to throw humanity away. And even less so that Buffy, whose biggest obstacle to a meaningful, lasting relationship with Angel or Spike was that they were vampires, would go for it.

All right. I suspected this would be hard for some folks. Here's the thought: It has to do with that equality thing. Not really that Spike be equally strong, but that Buffy love him as much as he loves her. I wanted to reverse their roles a bit. I wanted to show that at this point Buffy might be a little desperate. Would she really be happy with him as a vamp when he could have been human? Probably not, and he knows that- the point was that she was trying to accept him. The idea that she would even for a second consider it was what would convince Spike that she really loved him. No one he has been with has not tried to change him-I thought having someone say that they would love him irregardless would be really empowering for him. It served to make things more balanced between them. As far as his wanting to be a vamp-you're right he didn't. It just appeared that way to Buffy. He was scared and adjusting. (I think there would be an adjustment period.) I do think that Spike, or more to the point William, would be horrified by the lose of his power; he has spent a hundred years covering up all that was weak. He has to really learn to accept that part of himself now. That won't be easy.

2. There really isn't a two here, but I said "1." so I had to say "2." as well.

Back to the positive. Willow and Spike stuff is pretty entertaining. I like the idea of them bonding. And, I love grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. So, goodness there, to be sure.
                                      I love grilled cheese and tomato soup. *considering whipping up some soup and sandwich now*

DK, you're sex scenes are *hot*. I mean whoa hot. And you earn them so well with a thought out plot and commitment to your understanding of the characters that I really forgot to expect them.

Thank you *blushing* Those are tough scenes to write, but I think of them as being as important to the plot as the others. I don't want to write porn with plot, but I do think there should be a bit of reward for those who tread through the angst. And I think it is an important way some characters communicate.

Only forgot another thing that wasn't great. Weaz Xander? Weaz Dawn? Both of them would have pretty compelling interests in and reactions to this relationship, and I gotta admit I'd feel a little short-changed if they weren't explored.

Sorry I know. I just haven't figured a decent excuse for them to be there yet. It was important that Buffy was alone at the beginning- that she had run away again. And it made sense for Willow and Giles to come and help figure out what was happening. She would have wanted to avoid bringing an injured and shell-shocked Spike to the BHC with all the slayers and Scoobies (too much fuss and drama). But it wouldn't make sense for everyone in what I think would be the upper echelon to come. Xander and Dawn would have to stay and work the newbies. Also I've dealt with Spike/Dawn a lot and I wanted this one to be different and I couldn't come up with any plot reason for Xander to be there. He would have just had moderately funny negative things to say. I didn't want the character to come off that bad, but I'm not sure he could be made to come around fast enough for this story. I guess that is it really.

But, to tie it off with positive -- I love that you have found a healthier *concept* of love between these two characters than the show itself ever managed to do. I thought they were cute pretty much up until they became lovers. You've clearly invested in the idea that they have an interest in who each other are in a way that Season 6 bootycall Spuffy never did.

They were cute in the series or in my story? I assume you mean the series since nothing really dark happened post-sexual relations in my story.

Again thank you so much for your thoughts. I can't wait to see your response to the conclusion-which should be up soon by the way.

Comment

Well - I just feel like a "Cheesy Goober" for sayin' - WOW!! I just LOVE this story!!!
                                        -TP<3

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Working...
                                        X