Clearance by Treacle Antlers starting 21st February 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TriBel View Post

I couldn't get into it (found my self skimming much of it) and I think this is why. It was good but it felt too dense.
    For me, it was slow to begin with. It took a whole chapter to get to the set-up and I thought that was unnecessary. The writing is spot on, it's really well written.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
      By the way, just to prove a point (German can sound romantic too!), I wanted to post the first paragraph of Der Panther as originally written by Rilke. But it has a lot of German umlaute and also a letter you don't have in English at all (a combination of a s and a z). I wasn't sure if posting those umlaute and letters would be problematic because of the current issues with the forum upgrade. Stoney, would you say it is safe to post them?
      I'd be surprised if it would let you post them to be honest. You could try, but I'd recommend you copy just before pressing post so that you don't lose it if it cuts off the text where the first unusual character appears. You could code it (make bold any letters that should have an umlaute), or provide a link to it online instead if it won't post them. There is a slim chance that trying to post them will freeze up the thread. But that seems to have only happened once and on other occasions it has just cut off the text when posting.

Comment

Ah, it’s not worth risking to freeze the whole thread. Thank you, Stoney!

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

Priceless - Yes - I thought it was well-written.

flow I didn't say German couldn't be romantic - it's just that French and Italian are stereotypically "romantic":

sigpic

Comment

Pricey was asking for Umlaute in another thread. Here they are:

Der Panther

Sein Blick ist vom Vor?bergehn der St?be
            So m?d geworden, dass er nichts mehr h?lt.
            Ihm ist, als ob es tausend St?be g?be
            Und hinter tausend St?ben keine Welt.

flow

Banner by Brendan

Comment

• Priceless
              Priceless commented
              Editing a comment
              I bet that felt good!

Very late to the party here, but I read this story some time ago (maybe a year ago?) and I liked it. The epilogue was OK but I do think the story was better without it.
            https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Working...
            X