Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dead Man's Hat: small spoilers for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

A Dead Man's Hat

Once upon a time, there was a boy who lived, and an old man who died: Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore. It's a story now. Something to tell the grandchildren; of which I have a surprising number?it seems that twins ran in Ron's family. There aren't many people still alive who remember Harry's early adventures - not first hand. Ron's gone ? it's been years now, that I've been alone. But I can hardly be lonely here.

And Harry himself, of course, last year. The funeral?I've never seen anything like it. Wizards and muggles, old friends and even some old enemies ? Draco's one of the few of us who's still around. It was oddly comforting to have him there. Poor man's quite deaf now, but really, there was nothing that needed to be said that hadn't been said long ago. All water under the bridge, all grudges quite dead and buried. He held my hand as they lowered the coffin.

I read the Eulogy. The only bother was knowing what to leave out. So much to say, but I think Harry would have preferred me to be brief. He was so easily embarrassed, that boy. That man. I'm sure he'd cringe to think that people tell the story of his adventures at bedtime. Or perhaps I over-estimate him? Perhaps he secretly enjoyed his fame? I don't think so, though. His fame was too tied up in tragedy. His glamour dragged death behind it.

On a selfish note, I must say, I do get irritated when people leave me out of the story. After two centuries of feminism, people still seem more interested in what the boys get up to. I'm not claiming I was the hero. I just did my part. But, honestly... the notion that Harry and Ron were the buddy-wizards who pulled off the Horcrux quest...it ticks an old lady off. And you don't want to make an old witch grumpy.

That makes me sound like a terrible egotist perhaps. But I'm interested in truth. I make sure I tell all the little witches and wizards what really happened in those terrible times. I want to teach and warn them.

It must never happen again. Must? My old eyes aren't blind. I know that Voldemort wasn't the last Dark Lord. Dark Lords have a habit of rising and falling with all the regularity of the tide. Wherever there's an arrogant young wizard, or an angry young witch?I see the potential in their eyes. It's my job to ensure that potential is shaped into something good, whenever I can.

All I can do is watch these young ones, and teach them as best as I can. It's hard to fill the shoes (or hat) of such a great old man, and strange to think...I'm all the Dumbledore these children have now. I never thought I would be an authority, somehow. I always believed that there would be at least one above me, someone to look to in times of crisis. But now I realize, you don't need to look up to draw strength. You just look into another human being's eyes, and it's there.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --
Working...
X