Hell Mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell Mouth

I present four connected drabbles, covering...well, way too big a time span, and a heck of a lot of Slayer mythos. But I think they're neat.

Disclaimer: The Buffyverse belongs to Joss Whedon. I am making nothing from this.

Rating: PG

JUSTICE MOVED MY MAKER ON HIGH.

"Is this truly wise?"

"What else can we do? The demons are far stronger than we are. They resist our most powerful magicks."

"But to put our fate in the hands of a girl...one girl?...and to give her power from them?"

"You fear she will misuse it, then."

"That...or that she will not be equal to the task. In truth...I fear it may destroy her."

"The spirits say this is our one hope of survival, my friend."

"It troubles me..."

"Speak your mind."

"Which spirits have said this?"

"Our people are dying. Does it matter?"

DIVINE POWER MADE ME, WISDOM SUPREME, AND PRIMAL LOVE.

"You are the Chosen One," Lucius explained carefully. "It is your power, your destiny, to face the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness."

"Chosen?" The girl frowned, thinking. "By your God?"

That was a trap; she was shrewder than she pretended. "There is but one God, is there not?"

"As His Prophet says," she agreed. "I face them, and I do what?" Lucius was pleased he hadn't actually had to lie.

"You kill them, of course." The expression on her face was oddly troubled, he thought.

She sighed. "As in my dreams. I had hoped it was...a symbol."

BEFORE ME NOTHING WAS BUT THINGS ETERNAL, AND ETERNAL I ENDURE.

1832. Lakota Sioux, presumed Slayer. Vengeance wish; allied with T'chieque demons in alternate universe. Wish negated; forcibly retired. Remaining T'chieque exterminated.

1870. Russian Slayer Illyana. Lured Watcher into path of vampire during Cruciamentum examination. Destroyed both, then killed self.

1891. American (Texas) Slayer Linda. Fled Watcher after three years. Discovered in Mexico, married, after four months. Forcibly retired.

1902. Boer Slayer Greta. Detonated explosives in demon establishment after two months active; killed self and destroyed approx. 100 demons.

Reginald lowered his head to his hands. They hoped he could explain why the pattern was accelerating. He hadn't a prayer.

ABANDON ALL HOPE, YOU WHO ENTER HERE.

"If we strike here, earlier than the plan calls for, there's a chance."

Leigh tried to read his eyes; they told her nothing. "We agreed...they're our allies...."

Burton shook his head. "The Lister are demons. The world is at stake here--humanity is at stake."

Perhaps a stronger dose of moonshine would hold back the dreams. The killing...the dying... "So we kill them too."

"We slay them, yes. These choices we make are the price of the world's survival, Leigh."

Then maybe the price is too high. She hung her head, hiding the death behind her eyes.
    DeadWar: Burden of Proof
    Out Now.
    Feedback is always welcome here.
Working...
X