L-Space A Buffy/Discworld crossover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L-Space A Buffy/Discworld crossover.

Description: A crossover piece inspired by someones mention of Pratchett earlier today. Thank you whoever you were!
    Disclaimer: Not mine, no money.
    Apologies: To Terry pratchett. Sorry.

The Theory of L-Space

L-space, short for library-space, is the ultimate portrayal of Pratchett's concept that the written word has powerful magical properties on the Discworld, and that in large quantities all books warp space and time around them. The principle of L-space revolves around a seemingly logical equation; it is an extension of the aphorism 'Knowledge is Power':

Books = Knowledge = Power = \frac{Mass \times Distance^2}{Time}
    L-SPACE

“Intriguing” Giles said “So what you're basically saying is that all libraries everywhere are connected through this… L-space?”

“Ook.” said his companion, sniffing suspiciously at a slightly over ripe banana

“And all this is caused by the mass of all the words in the connected books somehow twisting space and time.”

“Ook.”

Giles leant back in his chair and reached into his pocket for his handkerchief, an almost reflexive action that indicated his mind was fully occupied by the interesting concept.

“So even the most mundane of books, the ones that contain not a single spell, incantation or summoning could in fact be said to be in and of themselves magical artefacts?”

“Ook.”

“Even The Da Vinci code?”

“Eeeek!”

“Well, yes, quite; no need to get carried away. So... if then you could have visited any library anywhere in an unlimited number of universes, might I ask why you chose to grace my humble collection with your presence?”

“Ook.”

“Ah, I see Alexandria.” Said Giles; slightly crestfallen. “Yes I suppose it would be quite easy to take a wrong turn in the stacks. I myself have frequently found myself absorbed in my filing system and…”

“Ook. Ook, ook.”

“Well it’s nice of you to say so, but please don’t feel that you have to be nice just for my sake. I know it’s not the greatest collection in, well, in I suppose L-space.”

“Ook?”

“Yes, that’s true. I suppose not a lot of libraries would carry the watchers diaries.” There was a pause. “Perhaps we could arrange some kind of book trade, just for a short loan period perhaps. I’m sure the Necrotelicomnicon sounds simply fascinating.”

“Ook!”

“Well of course I would be careful. I am a member of the Watchers Council of Great Britain you know.”

“Ooook!”

“Well yes alright, you have a point, but despite that I would promise to treat it with the utmost circumspection.”

“Ook.”

“Well perhaps we can talk about it later.”

An uneasy silence reigned as both librarians stared thoughtfully at the books lining the shelves above them. It was easy, in situations like this, to let the imagination run away with you but a strange feeling of watchfulness seemed to emanate from the leather bindings as if the books themselves were somehow trying to read the two talkers.

“So,” said Giles breaking the silence “prehensile toes; must be an advantage, yes?"
    tangent
    Lonely God
    Last edited by tangent; 05-09-08, 01:54 PM.
    JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
    Banner by Ciderdrinker
Working...
X