Reviews for...June/summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviews for...June/summer

Started to make this thread when Aissy first posted her fic, but my internet connection crashed out on me, and then I forgot the thread hadn't been posted.

So, our submission is: Undead (uncut) by Aissy. Thanks, Aissy!

We may get more, since there's one in, but I doubt it.

Next task: chewing over who is available for reviewing purposes, and how long we're going to give it.

You know, I was feeling bad about not having posted a review.....

I know everyone here's feeling bad about the Written, but we may as well get it over with.

I thought "Undead" was a deep and moving exploration of how people face death--something that's fairly unusual in a high-resurrection-quotient world like the Buffyverse. At the same time, it had that Buffyverse feel of humor, managing to get in quite a few chuckles on the course of that exploration.

That said, I did have a few problems with it. Even though the Shape-Shifter subplot was a necessary distraction from Fred, it felt a little awkward--as a distraction, it was too obvious. I kept feeling that it would be such a cheat if the Fred we're dealing with isn't Fred, yet precisely because of that reaction I was sure the Shape-Shifter wasn't real, or at least wasn't going to make an appearance, which killed the urgency of the beta plot. Also, it felt like something of a cheat at the end as well, to simply wipe everyone's memory of the incident, and I don't really feel Fred would have wanted to do that--she's the "screw destiny" girl, right? If she really felt the dream was prophetic, I think she'd have done everything possible to avert it. IMHO, sometimes once you've broken away from canon, you just have to let the fic run where it will. The first doesn't damage the story too badly--it's just a background element--but the ending really jarred.

In summary:

PEN=6
    PLOT=3
    PRO
    BUFFY
    and, despite the fact that it doesn't happen "onscreen", I think this qualifies for
    TEAR--we know what's coming.
    DeadWar: Burden of Proof
    Out Now.
    Feedback is always welcome here.

Comment

Undead - Aissy

PEN - 6
      PLOT - 2
      PRO
      BUFFY
      CLIPBOARD
      (and yes, we all know that the TEAR is on its way)

HOT

Review:
      This one gets a clipboard for the innovative development arc - like Mabus, I found it a struggle to accept off-the-rails Fred, but that was the whole point of the challenge this story answered: to take a character and find a plausible means of spinning them off the rails. What would it take for that to happen? This is an imaginitive exploration of that theme. The writing is strong, and the characters largely true to themselves. Except for Fred, of course, which is the whole point of the story - but even in her rebellion, Fred still babbles in true Fred-style. There are some brilliant one-liners in there, as well.

One tiny quibble - there's a tiny exchange in which Angel claims that staking with a pencil wouldn't work, because the lead acts as a barrier. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we see Buffy successfully staking a vampire with a pencil in...season 3, I think?

Definitely a Written fic

Comment

Okay, since nobody else seems the slightest bit interested in reviewing, despite all those promises of the past, I've pulled mine and Lee's reviews together.

Undead – Aissy

PEN - 6
        PLOT - 2
        PRO
        BUFFY
        CLIPBOARD
        and, despite the fact that it doesn't happen 'onscreen', we feel that this qualifies for
        TEAR – we know what's coming.

HOT

Review:
        This one gets a clipboard for the innovative development arc. 'Undead' is a deep and moving exploration of how people face death – something that's fairly unusual in a high-resurrection-quotient world like the Buffyverse. At the same time, it has that Buffyverse feel of humor, managing to get in quite a few chuckles in the course of that exploration, with some brilliant one-liners scattered throughout.

The Panel did find it a bit of a struggle to accept off-the-rails Fred, but that was the whole point of the challenge this story answered: to take a character and find a plausible means of spinning them off the rails. What would it take for that to happen? This is an imaginative exploration of that theme. Equally, even though the Shape-Shifter subplot was a necessary distraction from Fred, it felt a little awkward – as a distraction, it was too obvious, which killed the urgency of the beta plot. Also, it felt like something of a cheat at the end as well, to simply wipe everyone's memory of the incident, and didn't seem entirely in-character for Fred – she's the 'screw destiny' girl, after all. If she really felt the dream was prophetic, it seems more likely that she would do everything possible to avert it. Sometimes once you've broken away from canon, you just have to let the story run where it will.

One more very tiny quibble - there's a tiny exchange in which Angel claims that staking with a pencil wouldn't work, because the lead acts as a barrier. Don't we see Buffy successfully staking a vampire with a pencil in season 3?

On the whole, however, this is a really creative work. The writing is strong, the plotting tight, and the characters largely true to themselves. Except for Fred, of course, which is the whole point of the story - but even in her rebellion, Fred still babbles in true Fred-style.

A worthy Written winner.

Lee - how does this sound to you? If you're in agreement, I'll post the results this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Llywela View Post
          Lee - how does this sound to you? If you're in agreement, I'll post the results this evening.
          Sounds good to me. Hope I didn't delay too long--I've been a bit sick.

Sorry to see the Written go....
          DeadWar: Burden of Proof
          Out Now.
          Feedback is always welcome here.

Comment

Thanks, Lee. And don't worry - hope you're feeling a little better.

I'll post the official results now then, if my internet connection will hold long enough to let me.

Comment

Working...
            X