A piece of mock-victorian sentimentality that would even make Dickens hurl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A piece of mock-victorian sentimentality that would even make Dickens hurl

William was in two minds about his father's death. Of course, it was a terrible thing to think of one's father in the ground. And to think of the manner of his death - terrifying! At sea, in the dark and squalling night, wind lashing and rain thrashing the decks, as the enemy's cannons fired again?and again?and again?. Just like in the stories that scared him so, that nurse told, about wild pirates and faraway oceans full of monsters.

Scared him, but also thrilled him. That was bad, wasn't it? He ought to pray and say sorry and never tell Mama that.

Or perhaps the way Father died made it better? A hero's death, Mama said. Few men had the chance to leave earth with such honour. How much worse to die in one's bed. But William decided he would prefer the latter exit. Or never to die at all.

But, William's divided thoughts over the loss of his father could be most succinctly summed up thus: he was sad to lose his father, with his comforting if prickly whiskers?but he was impossibly glad and grateful that the loss meant he could return home to Mama once more.

While Father was alive, William had to attend a boarding school. The cruelties he suffered there?well, he didn't have to think about that any more. But now Father was dead, Mama preferred to have him home with her, where he could be taught by a sweet little governess. And by Mama of course: for it was her who read to him each night, and told him stories of fairies and dragons, of heroes and princesses.

He had few friends his own age. He sometimes played with cousin Thomas?and he considered himself the most fortunate boy alive when he had the chance to visit the country and spend time with a beautiful girl named Maria ? daughter of the Theakstons, old friends of his mother.

Maria would tease him that she could climb trees, or shoot, or run far better than him. He pretended to be offended, but truly, he admired her strength and her grace. He remembered her in his prayers each night, even when they were apart for months and months.

"When I am a man," he would say to himself. "When I am a man, I will marry her. And we will sit all day in the fields behind our house, and we will talk, and we will walk, and nothing will trouble us."

He said these things to himself when thoughts of dark seas and cannonballs and violence came to him. And he prayed that he would never have to fight in a war. And that he would never have to go back to school again. And that Mama would be safe. And that he would be safe.

Please God. I don't need to be a powerful man, or a rich man. Just let me grow up and be safe and never ever die.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --
Working...
X