• Dawn: The Series 1x01 "First Light"

DAWN: The Series
    1x01 "First Light" (Pilot)

Written by kungfubear

Created by kungfubear & skinless

Based on characters created by Joss Whedon

TEASER

EXT. BACK ROAD - DAWN

We open on a faded, battered sign. It reads: WESTMONT CITY LIMITS. We PAN RIGHT to a narrow road, surrounded by vast amounts of forestation. The warm, amber color of the leaves tells us we're well into the fall. The sun is rising in the distance.
    An early model, dark blue Minivan comes barreling down the road at impractical speed.

WILLOW
    (OS)
    Should we be going this fast?

INT. MINIVAN - DAWN

Kennedy is driving the van, an almost Zen-like concentration on her face. Willow sits next to her, rigidly bracing herself for any sudden impact.

KENNEDY
    Probably not, but it's really fun.

WILLOW
    Right, ?cause concussions are always a blast. Please slow down?

Kennedy finally snaps out of her tunnel vision. She smiles at Willow as her foot relieves some pressure off the accelerator. Willow relaxes in her seat.

KENNEDY
    I'm sorry, I just go mad with power when I'm behind the wheel of this thing. It's a tank.

WILLOW
    Sweetie, it's a Minivan. I feel like a total Soccer Mom, and I'm not even driving.

KENNEDY
    Maybe we should've gotten an SUV.

WILLOW
    Why stop there, why not just get a Hummer and be done with it?

KENNEDY
    (half-kidding)
    You're turning me on.

Willow smiles.

WILLOW
    How much further?

KENNEDY
    Well, we just left Westmont. We should make it into town within the hour. We can have breakfast.

WILLOW
    Remind me to call Buffy before we eat.

KENNEDY
    Are you nervous?

WILLOW
    About what?

KENNEDY
    All of it. The new home, new town, new responsibilities. I would be.

WILLOW
    After all the traveling we've been doing, I welcome the routine of daily life. No magics, no monsters. If my biggest decision of the day is which fabric softener to use, I'll be happy. Besides, it's not like I'm completely alone here.

KENNEDY
    What about your friends?

WILLOW
    Giles always makes sure we keep in touch. Buffy may be on the other side of the world right now, but she's always just a phone call away.

KENNEDY
    Isn't it like midnight over there by now?

WILLOW
    It's Buffy. She'll be awake.

Kennedy makes a motion towards the back seat.

KENNEDY
    I guess it doesn't run in the family.

ANGLE ON: BACK OF VAN.

In the back of the Minivan, sleeping on the floor, we see Dawn. She's mostly hidden by a sleeping bag. Poking out next to her is Mr. Gordo, the stuffed pig.

EXT. BACK ROAD - DAWN

The Minivan continues down the road, away from the camera. Way ahead in the distance, we see the city skyline of Chicago, Illinois.

BLACK OUT.

Cue Opening Credits & Music: "Tomorrow" by SR-71

ACT ONE

EXT. PARKING LOT - MORNING

The Minivan pulls into the parking lot of a small, greasy spoon-type diner. The lot is virtually empty, save for one other car. An old, maroon Volkswagen bug is parked at the far end, near the back of the building.
    We PAN UP, look through the windshield and see Willow and Kennedy. Dawn, now awake pops up between them.

WILLOW
    Maybe we shouldn't eat here. Is it even open?

KENNEDY
    The sign says it is.

Dawn squints her eyes, trying to read something.

DAWN
    "Logan's Diner". Maybe they don't allow anyone in over 30.

Kennedy gives Dawn a funny look.

DAWN (CONT'D)
    (Embarrassed)
    Which doesn't apply to us, anyhow.

WILLOW
    I'm starving. It doesn't have the words "Double" or "Meat" in the title, so I say we check it out.

INT. LOGAN'S DINER - MORNING

The girls enter the Diner. The place has a very classic, 50's look. The counter top is made of white marble and there's a vintage jukebox in the corner, but it's been modified to play compact discs, instead of records.
    At the moment, there doesn't appear to be anyone behind the bar.

KENNEDY
    Empty. That's never good.

She approaches the bar.

KENNEDY (CONT'D)
    (loudly)
    Hello?

Just then, a waitress emerges from the back room. She has short, red hair and green, cat-like eyes. She kind of looks like Natalie Portman in the film Closer. This is CATHRYN "CAT" KELLER, 21.

CAT
    (surprised)
    Wow. Customers. So, they do still exist.

A beat.

CAT (CONT'D)
    You are customers, right?

KENNEDY
    (uncertain)
    Yes?

CAT
    Thank God. My name's Cathryn, or Cat, if you like.

Cat pulls out a pad and pencil from her apron.

CAT (CONT'D)
    What can I get you?

Willow steps forward.

WILLOW
    Pay phone?

CAT
    (pointing)
    Between the rest rooms.

WILLOW
    Thanks.

Willow makes her way over to the phone. Dawn scans through a menu laying on the counter.

DAWN
    (excited)
    Waffles!

CAT
    (playing along)
    Topping?!

DAWN
    Apple!

CAT
    Drink?!

DAWN
    Orange Juice!

CAT
    Can do.
    (to Kennedy)
    And for you?

KENNEDY
    Quick question. Do you have cheesecake?

CAT
    Strawberry, cherry, or plain?

KENNEDY
    (smiling, looking towards Willow)
    Strawberry. And water.

CAT
    (writing)
    One water.

KENNEDY
    My friend will have an omelette, hotcakes and tea, if you've got it.

CAT
    (looks up)
    Are you sure?

Kennedy looks over at Willow, affectionately.

KENNEDY
    I'm sure.

CAT
    OK. Back in a pinch.

As Cat heads back into the kitchen, Kennedy and Dawn sit down in one of the booths.

DAWN
    So far, so good.

KENNEDY
    I prefer to hold my judgement until after we get our food. Ever since the Grill & Bar incident back in Shermer, I trust no one.

DAWN
    It wasn't that bad.

KENNEDY
    I'm telling you, my Porterhouse mooed at me.

Willow arrives and sits down next to Kennedy.

DAWN
    (to Willow)
    Was Buffy home?

WILLOW
    No, but I did talk to Andrew for a bit. He said that Buffy's been doing a lot more soul searching now that she's not dating The Immortal.

DAWN
    That's Buffy for you. The suckier the guy, the harder she tries to find herself.

WILLOW
    I just hope the next relationship she has, it's with someone who won't try to harvest her organs for his own personal demon horde. You know, a nice, normal guy.

DAWN
    Speaking of, have you talked to Xander?

Willow shakes her head.

WILLOW
    I haven't checked my e-mail in at least a week. Last I heard, he mentioned something about looking Faith up in Hawaii. He's hoping the eye patch will go over better in a more tropical setting.

KENNEDY
    What about Mr. Giles?

WILLOW
    Andrew said he's making lots of progress in his therapy sessions with that Dana girl. Once we get settled in here, I'll have more details.

Cat brings out their drinks and sets them down.

CAT
    There you go. Your food will be ready shortly.

WILLOW
    Thank You.

CAT
    You bet.

She heads back to the kitchen again.

WILLOW
    We got in town earlier than I expected.

KENNEDY
    Don't worry. My Uncle Barret sleeps like a coma patient, but he said he wants us to come by first thing.

DAWN
    I still can't believe he's letting two total strangers into his house like that.

KENNEDY
    He's always been like that. Out of my family, he was the first one I came out to, and he also happened to be the most supportive. Besides, he's a strong believer in the "friends of mine, friends of his" credo.

DAWN
    I hope everyone here is just as friendly. It'll be nice to live in a town without demons, vampires and all encompassing evil.

KENNEDY
    Yeah, and have friends who don't try to kill you.

Willow raises her drink in traditional, toasting fashion.

WILLOW
    (smiling)
    Ladies. To Normal!

Dawn and Kennedy follow suit and bring up their drinks as well.

KENNEDY & DAWN
    To Normal!

Just as all their glasses CLINK together, we

CUT TO:

INT. CITY MORGUE - CONTINUOUS

EXTREME CLOSE UP ON: HEADPHONES

We hear the heavy, bass strumming sounds of Korn. We PULL BACK to reveal the headphones are worn by QUINN MARTIN, a young man of 26. Short, brown brush cut hair. His face has a youthful, open quality to it. His eyes are closed.

OVERHEAD ANGLE ON: QUINN

Leaning back in a chair, his feet propped up on a desk. From this view, we see that he is wearing a white, lab coat. This is juxtaposed by the rest of his casual attire, which owes more to the fashion sense of a skater. A Blink 182 shirt hangs loosely on his thin frame, joined by some wide-leg jeans and a pair of scuffed up Skechers.
    We can also see that he is in a Morgue. Containment units for storing dead bodies checker board the walls. An autopsy table stands like a morbid centerpiece to this room.

ANGLE ON: DOUBLE DOORS

Opening up as a gurney is wheeled in by a tall, BLACK GUY. He's dressed in a more official manner. A body bag rests on top of the gurney.

BLACK GUY
    (tired)
    Order up!

Quinn drops his feet to the floor and removes his headphones. The music blasts from the tiny speakers a bit too loudly. Quinn's eyes are an icy blue, giving him a sad, haunted look that betrays his otherwise nonthreatening features.

QUINN
    (deadpan)
    Oh joy, another one. There must be a Living Impaired support group in town or something.

BLACK GUY
    Looks like.
    (re: the music)
    Are you trying to deafen the both of us, or just yourself?

QUINN
    Oh, sorry.

Quinn turns off his MP3 Player, gets up and moves over to the gurney. He unzips the body bag.

ANGLE ON: DEAD BODY

A TEEN BOY, maybe seventeen. Bleached hair and bags under his eyes. It's obvious this one was a night owl.

QUINN (CONT'D)
    Just like the others?

BLACK GUY
    So far, only this one came from a Frat party. Been dead upstairs at least five hours, before anybody noticed. Campus security called it in.

QUINN
    Let me guess. Drug overdose?

BLACK GUY
    What else?

QUINN
    Right. Will he be missed?

BLACK GUY
    Doubtful. His Fraternity brothers said he was a new pledge. They threw a New Members party, one thing lead to another, the usual.

QUINN
    Do we sweep it under the rug like normal?

BLACK GUY
    That's the plan.

QUINN
    Okay, thanks. Are you heading home after this?

BLACK GUY
    Yeah, I'm thinking about taking some vacation time. Get some distance from it, know what I mean?

QUINN
    I do. In fact, it's the best plan of action I've heard all week.

BLACK GUY
    If you want, I can swing by Bob's office before I go. Put in a good word?

QUINN
    No, thanks. You should go ahead and take off before he changes his mind.

BLACK GUY
    I see your point. Alright, man. Have a good one.

The Black Guy turns and exits.

QUINN
    I'll try.

Quinn stands there for a moment, staring down at the body. He lets out an aggravated sigh.

QUINN (CONT'D)
    (to the corpse)
    Sucks to be you, doesn't it?

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. CITY MORGUE - LATER

Quinn is back at his desk. He's filling out some paperwork on a clipboard. The headphones are back on, this time playing some softer, down-tempo Massive Attack.

WIDE ON: CORPSE

The dead body has been moved to the examination table and is now covered by a pale blue sheet. We stay WIDE on the body in the foreground, with Quinn, hard at work in the background.
    Slowly, we see some subtle movement under the sheet.

LOW ANGLE ON: FLOOR

From under the table, we see the dead kid's bare feet come into view and quietly touch the ground.

CLOSE UP ON: QUINN'S FACE
    He seems oblivious to everything around him. The music pulses on while in the background, the apparently undead figure approaches from behind.

EXTREME CLOSE UP ON: PENCIL

Quinn continues to write when suddenly, he presses down too hard, causing the lead in the pencil to snap off.

MEDIUM ANGLE ON: QUINN & THE BODY

As the body steps into frame, his face bumpy in now famous Vamp Mode. Quinn, at the other end of this closing space, spins around in his chair to face the creature. In a telling, routine movement, he stands up and plunges the broken pencil straight into the kid's chest.
    The Vampire quickly bursts into a cloud of dust. Quinn stays in his attacking stance for a moment before straightening himself and examining the pencil.

QUINN
    (to himself)
    Damn.

A beat.

QUINN (CONT'D)
    I lose more pencils that way.

Quinn tosses the small weapon onto his desk and exits through the double doors. We stay STATIC on the doors for a few beats. Then, Quinn reenters, carrying a small, red Dust Buster. He turns the device on and we TILT DOWN to the floor with him as he vacuums up the powdered remains.
    Once that's done, Quinn removes the vacuum bag. He picks up the clipboard from his desk and carries all three items out the door.
    We STEADICAM behind him as he goes through the double doors, down a long, narrow hallway and down a flight of stairs. He stops at a door marked "Storage". Beside the door is a keypad and a small, red light.
    Quinn nonchalantly punches in a series of numbers. The Keypad BEEPS and the light turns green. He opens the door and heads inside.

INT. STORAGE ROOM - CONTINUOUS

We are now in a small room, very much like a Janitor's Closet. This room doesn't look like anything special. There are brooms, mops, dust pans, cleaning products and an entire wall of Dust Busters. There's one empty space.
    We watch Quinn retrieve a fresh bag from a drawer and replace it into the vacuum. He hangs the device back up onto the empty space on the wall. He removes the paper from the clipboard and wraps it around the bag full of Vampire Dust.

We TILT DOWN and notice Quinn standing on a large rug in the center of the room. He steps aside, squats down and folds the rug over to reveal a trap door, hidden in the floor. He then produces a key from his pocket and inserts it into a small padlock. After turning the key, the lock snaps open and Quinn lifts up the hatch, revealing another set of stairs.

INT. STORAGE ROOM "B" - CONTINUOUS

Quinn comes downstairs into what appears to be an even smaller room. He approaches a wall of safety deposit boxes. Using the same key, he opens one that isn't labeled. He places the vacuum bag and the information into the box, closes it and then locks it back up.
    Quinn uses a pen to label the box as "1709". Once finished, he hurries back upstairs. Instead of following, we stay on the box and its curious set of numbers.
    We then CRANE LEFT & UP to reveal that this room is in fact of massive size. As far as the eye can see, it consists of nothing but safety deposit boxes. Rows and rows of boxes.

BLACK OUT.

ACT TWO

EXT. BARRET'S HOUSE - LATER

The Minivan pulls up to a large, two-story house. This place is tucked away a bit, surrounded by heavy forestation. The look and feel of the house is warm and rustic like a cabin, but the design is definitely modern, not to mention expensive.
    There are numerous expansions and add-ons. There's a wooden patio deck up on the second floor and a car port off to the side, which is currently sheltering a Yamaha Scooter and a Mini Cooper that looks so new, you'd think it was built no more than five minutes ago.

DAWN
    (OS)
    Your Uncle has a Mini Cooper?!

KENNEDY
    (OS)
    Apparently. Must be new.

WILLOW
    (OS)
    And he does what, exactly?

KENNEDY
    (OS)
    Pizza Delivery.

INT. BARRET'S HOUSE - CONTINUOUS

The inside of this house is just as lavish and impressive. Leather furniture, hardwood floors, even a stone fireplace. Mounted proudly on the wall above it is an Elk's head.
    Dawn, Willow & Kennedy enter, bringing some luggage with them.

KENNEDY
    (loudly)
    Uncle Barret? We're here!

WILLOW
    (excited)
    Oh, a fireplace! We can roast marshmallows!

KENNEDY
    I think we should unpack, first.

DAWN
    (re: elk's head)
    Cool, a Deer's head.

BARRET
    (OS)
    Elk, actually.

The three girls turn, startled. We WHIP PAN to reveal UNCLE BARRET, 39. He's leaning up against the door frame that leads into the kitchen. His overly casual look and attire completely clash with his impeccable surroundings. Messy hair, bathrobe and bunny slippers. He resembles a cross between Donal Logue and Johnny Depp from Secret Window. In short, he looks as though he snuck in.

KENNEDY
    Barret!

The two of them hug.

BARRET
    Did you have any trouble finding the place?

KENNEDY
    Not at all.
    (addressing the others)
    This is my Uncle Barret. That's Dawn.
    Barret shakes her hand.

BARRET
    Dawn.
    (looking at Willow)
    I guess that makes you Willow.

WILLOW
    (nervous)
    Hi.

They shake hands. Barret can tell Willow is a bit uneasy.

BARRET
    Don't worry, I didn't kill it myself. It came with the house. As I understand it, the previous owner accidently hit it.

DAWN
    With what? A bulldozer?

BARRET
    Yes.

All three girls look at him in disbelief.

BARRET (CONT'D)
    Or, so I'm told. Listen, I'm real glad you all came out here. Kennedy's told me so much about you, I feel like I already know you. Do you guys like the place so far?

DAWN
    Are you kidding? It's amazing. I don't mean to pry-- Well, actually I do, but how can you afford this place? Did you like, win the lottery or something?

BARRET
    Pretty much.

Dawn and Willow are speechless. Kennedy smiles.

BARRET (CONT'D)
    (to Kennedy)
    You didn't tell them?

KENNEDY
    Nope. I thought it would be more fun this way.

DAWN
    No way!

BARRET
    You wanna see? Come on, I'll show you.

INT. KITCHEN - CONTINUOUS

The kitchen is a gourmet chef's wet dream come true. Checkered linoleum, stainless steel appliances, and there's even an actual booth and table in the corner, the kind you would normally see in a chain restaurant.
    The gang enters. Barret hops up and takes a seat on the counter. Next to him is a glass bowl of fresh apples. He takes one, polishes it and takes a bite. With his free hand, he points off screen, to his right.
    Hanging on the wall, above the booth, is a large, framed Novelty Check.

WILLOW
    Fifty Six Million?!

Barret smiles, sheepishly.

BARRET
    You should know there's a solid reason why I moved out here. When people found out about my good fortune, suddenly I had "friends and family" that never existed before then. Everybody wanted a piece, more than their fair share, in fact. Believe me, I'm all with the giving, but only to those who truly deserve it, like you guys.

DAWN
    But you don't even know us.

BARRET
    I know Kennedy. She's my family. Regrettably, she's the only member of said family that didn't automatically become entitled, like something was owed. One of three reasons why my brother and I aren't on speaking terms.

DAWN
    What are the other reasons?

WILLOW
    Dawnie!

BARRET
    No, it's okay. I'm not quite ready to share that much, so I'll save it, if that's cool. For now, I just want you guys to know that since Kennedy here is my family, that means you two are family by association. I gotta rebuild. Now that Sunnydale is a pile of sinky-sand, I'm sure you can relate.

DAWN
    Yeah, I totally get it. My sister wants me to go to the University here. She says I should go where I can actually learn something, instead of how to say "Where's the party?" In Italian. I don't even know if I'm college material.

BARRET
    Well, Kennedy tells me her girl Willow here is quite the brain.

Willow blushes.

BARRET (CONT'D)
    Besides, I did the college thing for a while. Half of it is based on notes and lecture. Keep that in mind and it's a cakewalk.

DAWN
    What's the other half?

BARRET
    Parties, often with actual cake.

A beat. Barret hops down off the counter.

BARRET (CONT'D)
    So, how about we get the rest of your bags and then I can finish showing you around?

DAWN
    You mean there's more?

Barret begins to lead the girls out of the kitchen.

BARRET
    Much more. You haven't seen the game room, yet. Say, Dawn? How good are you at air hockey?

CUT TO:

INT. UPSTAIRS BEDROOM - EVENING

ANGLE ON: PEZ WITCH

Standing upright like a trophy on a dresser. On either side of it, we see two framed photos. One is of Oz. The other is of Tara. In the center, just in front of the pez dispenser is a short, wide candle. The flame burns, bright.
    We PULL BACK to reveal Willow sitting on the bed, meditating. The room is sparse, but somehow still feels very inviting and lived in. A few boxes are stacked in the corner. Kennedy enters.

KENNEDY
    Hey.

Willow opens her eyes and smiles.

WILLOW
    Hey.

KENNEDY
    Settling in okay?

WILLOW
    Better than okay. The energy here is really good. It almost feels like Sunnydale, without the suck.

KENNEDY
    It wasn't all bad. If it weren't for the impending doom and apocalypse, we never would've met.

WILLOW
    Most couples meet-cute at clubs or parties. We met-cute on a Hellmouth.

Kennedy smiles and joins Willow on the bed.

WILLOW (CONT'D)
    How's Dawn adapting?

KENNEDY
    Like a duck to water. I think she's still giddy from finding out her bedroom has its own shower. I'm waiting for the moment when Barret shows her the jacuzzi out back.

WILLOW
    Do you think we did the right thing by bringing her here, away from Buffy, I mean?

KENNEDY
    Let's not forget whose idea this was in the first place. I think Buffy's just glad Dawn's not out getting kidnapped by the sunlight impaired. And the best part is, no more mystical convergences. She finally has a chance at a normal life. That goes for all of us.

WILLOW
    I am glad we're here, together. It's almost like it was with--

KENNEDY
    With Tara?

WILLOW
    I'm sorry. I didn't mean--

Kennedy gives Willow a reassuring kiss.

KENNEDY
    Willow, it's okay. I like when you talk about her, and Oz. For better or worse, those people make up part of who you are, and I love who you are. I'm only sorry I didn't get to meet either of them. They sound like good people, infidelity excluded.

DAWN
    (OS)
    AHHH!!!

Startled, Willow and Kennedy both turn their attention to the door.

DAWN (CONT'D)
    (OS)
    A jacuzzi!!!

Relieved, Willow and Kennedy share a smile.

CUT TO:

INT. KITCHEN - NIGHT

Dawn is at the counter, scooping ice cream into two frosted, glass mugs.

DAWN
    This place is so amazing! It has everything.

Barret comes in from outside of the frame. He sets down two glass bottles of root beer. They proceed to make floats.

BARRET
    Correction. Now it has everything.

DAWN
    What else could you possibly need?

BARRET
    Friends. What good is being rich if you're not truly wealthy?

DAWN
    Don't you have friends, or did, before, I mean?

BARRET
    Well, the occasional acquaintance here and there, but not really. I mostly keep to myself. It's not especially by choice, mind you. It just kind of turned out that way. What about you?

DAWN
    I had some friends in high school, but they all took off right around the time Sunnydale took a swan dive underground.

BARRET
    Do you think you'd still be friends, if things were different?

DAWN
    I don't know. Maybe. Mostly people thought I was just really weird.

BARRET
    Weird? How come?

DAWN
    Beats me. Buffy always said I was just misunderstood, which coming from her means almost nothing.

BARRET
    Well, people are afraid of what they don't understand. Not many of us have a Slayer for a big sister.

Dawn freezes.

DAWN
    How do you know--

BARRET
    You can blame Kennedy and her sharing nature for that one. I was the first person she officially came out to. She tells me everything.

DAWN
    So, you know the real story behind Sunnydale and my family?

BARRET
    Pretty much. I've at least gotten the Cliff Notes version on more than one occasion.

DAWN
    And it doesn't freak you out?

BARRET
    Well, I will admit it is extraordinary. I know Kennedy was never one to just make up stories. Plus, given what she's told me, I'm perfectly content with taking her word for it. I'm just glad she came away from it in one piece.

DAWN
    Lucky for her, Willow likes to share, too.

BARRET
    Lucky for all of you, from what I've heard. That's a pretty powerful thing your friend did, turning all the potentials into slayers.

DAWN
    Yeah, but some of us weren't so lucky.

BARRET
    That's right, I heard a friend of yours lost an eye.

DAWN
    Well, he didn't lose it, so much as it literally got poked out. And don't even get me started on the high body count.

BARRET
    That bad, huh?

DAWN
    If I went through everyone, we'd be here all night.
    (counting)
    Jonathan, Tara, Anya, even my own sister once or twice.

A beat.

DAWN (CONT'D)
    (reserved)
    My Mom.

BARRET
    (warmth)
    At the risk of sounding like a walking cliche, she's in a better place. If you want to honor the memory of your mother, the best thing you can do is just keep being Dawn. I'm a pretty good judge of character. I wouldn't have opened my home to you guys without recognizing the good nature you carry with you. In my opinion, that's a pretty high compliment to your Mom and your Sister.

Dawn smiles. Barret puts a straw in her float and slides the drink over to her.

BARRET (CONT'D)
    Besides, somebody's gotta help me eat all this ice cream.

CUT TO:

INT. UPSTAIRS BEDROOM - LATER

We see Dawn unpacking some things and getting ready for bed. The only available light source in this room is coming from a lamp on the night stand, by the bed. Willow pokes her head in the doorway.

WILLOW
    Hey.

DAWN
    Hey.

WILLOW
    We've got a long day ahead of us tomorrow. You might wanna turn in early.

DAWN
    Way ahead of you,
    (looking around)
    But I can't seem to find--

Willow reveals a framed photograph of Joyce she had been hiding behind her back. She hands it to Dawn.

WILLOW
    It got mixed in with some of the kitchen stuff, which may not have been a complete accident.

A beat.

WILLOW (CONT'D)
    Good night, Dawnie.

DAWN
    Good night, Willow.

Willow exits. Dawn sits there for a moment, staring at the photograph with warm affection. She sets it up on the night stand so it's facing her as she gets under the covers.

DAWN (CONT'D)
    (to herself)
    Good night, Mom.

With that, Dawn turns off the lamp and goes to sleep, leaving us with almost no light. We stay on this image of Dawn, eyes closed, safe and secure. Then, a moment later, a mild glow seems to fall on her face. A hand enters the frame, caressing Dawn's cheek. Dawn continues to sleep, undisturbed.
    We PAN UP to reveal JOYCE SUMMERS (deceased), in all her ethereal, angelic beauty. She stands by the bed, watching over Dawn with that same warm affection.

JOYCE
    (to herself)
    Good night, sweetheart.

BLACK OUT.

ACT THREE

EXT. UNIVERSITY OF NORTH ILLINOIS - DAY

ANGLE ON: CLOCK TOWER

The clock reads 1:13. We PAN DOWN to reveal Willow and Dawn, sitting on a bench. They appear to be finishing up some sort of fast food lunch. Dawn has an uncomfortable look on her face.

DAWN
    (sickly)
    Ugh. I think my food is a part of me now. It's never leaving.

WILLOW
    I warned you about that Chili Dog.

Willow starts to gather up their trash and toss it in a near by garbage bin.

DAWN
    It looked so good in the picture. I was lied to. Stupid golden cow.

WILLOW
    Next time, I get to pick where we eat.

DAWN
    That's too bad, because I'm never eating again.
    (Tetsuo impression)
    "We are Chili Dog. We are one."

WILLOW
    Hey, at least Orientation is going well.

DAWN
    (smiling)
    Yeah. Who knew there was a class for bowling?

WILLOW
    This place is so massive. I'm sure if you can name it, there's probably a class for it.

DAWN
    What's left on the list?

Willow scans a small booklet in her hand.

WILLOW
    Uh, just the dorms.

INT. FULTON HALL - DAY

Willow and Dawn make their way down one of the many narrow hallways of the Fulton Dormitory. The place is a zoo. Dozens of students shuffle about, most of them appearing lost. Two large guys are carrying an equally massive, steel keg. They're just about the only two people who seem to know exactly where they're going.

DAWN
    So, this is my Dorm.

Willow scans her booklet.

WILLOW
    It says here that Fulton Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus. It was constructed in the late forties, and was partially renovated in 1993, due to an electrical fire.

DAWN
    I guess there's a reason they don't make ?em like they use to.

MALE VOICE
    (OS)
    Actually, that brochure is wrong.

Willow and Dawn turn to meet CHASE, 19. He's got a bit of a baby face and unassuming, blue eyes. He's kind of like Farmer Ted, save for the fact that he's wearing a giant bunny costume. A stack of flyers are in his hand.

CHASE
    It was a pledge prank that started the fire. Of course, UNI's not gonna come right out and broadcast that kind of info.

The two girls stare at him for a moment before Dawn finally leans over to whisper at Willow.

DAWN
    (whispering)
    Is that a--

WILLOW
    (whispering)
    Giant Bunny Rabbit. You see him, too?
    (to Chase)
    If your name is either Frank, or Harvey--

CHASE
    It's neither.

A beat.

CHASE (CONT'D)
    I mean, my name is Chase.

DAWN
    Chase The Bunny. That's funny. I'm Dawn, and this is
    Willow.

CHASE
    Hi. I don't normally dress this way. I'm pledging.

WILLOW
    Oh, what fraternity?

CHASE
    Phi Omega Gamma.
    (handing Dawn a flyer)
    This is for you.

Dawn scans the flyer.
    DAWN
    "Fish Tank Fiesta"?

CHASE
    Yeah, it's a special party for freshmen. The Frat puts one together every year during orientation. Sort of a big welcoming committee for all the new faces.

DAWN
    So, what, you're supposed to go around campus in that bunny suit, passing out flyers?

CHASE
    (embarrassed)
    Not exactly. I'm supposed to go around campus in this hot-as-hell, humiliating bunny suit, passing out flyers to pretty young women.

Dawn smiles at him. He blushes.

MALE VOICE
    (OS)
    PLEDGE FU-FU!

Chase suddenly goes rigid, standing at attention. A tall, handsome fellow approaches. He has a wholesome, Riley Finn quality about him, but the swagger and cocky stride of Spike. This is GLENN, 22.

CHASE
    (soldier)
    Yes, Brother Glenn!

GLENN
    You pass out flyers to freshmen. You do not make moon eyes at them, is that understood?!

CHASE
    Yes, Brother Glenn!

Glenn turns his attention to Dawn and Willow. His voice and demeanor take a complete turn. He is now charming and polite.

GLENN
    I'm awfully sorry about that. Was Pledge Fu-Fu bothering you?

DAWN
    Uh, I think his name is Chase.

Glenn gives Chase a stern look.

GLENN
    For the rest of his life, it is. This week however, his full name is Little Bunny Fu-Fu.
    (to Chase)
    What's the matter, Pledge? Did you forget that bunnies can't talk?

Chase says nothing. He's frozen, unsure of what to do or say.

GLENN (CONT'D)
    Well?

CHASE
    Uh--

DAWN
    It was my fault.

Glenn faces Dawn again. Behind his back, Chase is making all kinds of faces and gestures at him. Willow is watching from behind Dawn, trying desperately not to crack up.

DAWN (CONT'D)
    Yeah, I asked him for the time and we sort of got to talking.

GLENN
    I could almost buy that, if he were actually wearing a watch.

A beat. Glenn whips back around quickly, but fails to catch Chase in the act.

GLENN (CONT'D)
    You know, this kind of insubordination is disrespectful to not just me, but the entire Phi Omega Gamma brotherhood. We may just have to let you go, Pledge.

Chase hangs his head in shame. His floppy bunny ears droop down in a comical manner.

GLENN (CONT'D)
    (turning to Dawn)
    However, I'm willing to overlook this whole incident. That is, if you give me your word that you'll come to our party this weekend, Miss--

DAWN
    (annoyed)
    Summers.

A beat.

GLENN
    You wouldn't want Little Bunny Fu-Fu to get down on his knees and beg, would you?

Over Glenn's shoulder, we see Chase reluctantly dropping to his knees. Dawn finally caves.

DAWN
    Okay, fine. I'll go.

GLENN
    Thank you, Miss Summers. On behalf of The Brothers and I, we look forward to seeing you there.
    (to Chase)
    As you were, Pledge.

Glenn walks off. It's only until he's out of sight that Chase finally stands up.

DAWN
    Well, I know where I'm not gonna be this Saturday.

CHASE
    (worried)
    You mean you're not going?

DAWN
    Would you?

CHASE
    I kind of have to.

DAWN
    No, you really don't.

WILLOW
    Yeah, what's so great about those guys?

CHASE
    Nothing, really. Think of it as buying protection from The Mob by becoming a member.

WILLOW
    (scoffs)
    Men can be such, boys sometimes.

CHASE
    (to Dawn)
    Seriously though, you have to be there. You don't even have to stick around, just make an appearance long enough for Glenn to spot you, and then bail. Glenn's pulled that act on three other girls today. I'm fine, honest. I'll be even better if you're at the party.

Chase puts his paws up like a begging dog.

CHASE (CONT'D)
    Come on, help a bunny out?

Dawn smiles.

DAWN
    (defeated)
    What time?

CHASE
    (joyful)
    It's all in the flyer. Thank you so much. I gotta run. I'll see you Saturday. Bring your friend.

DAWN
    Wait! There's one more thing.

CHASE
    What?

DAWN
    Where's the Residential Advisor?

CUT TO:

INT. RESIDENTIAL ADVISOR'S OFFICE - DAY

ANGLE ON: DESK

The desk is relatively neat and organized. On the far corner, there are two trays. One is marked "IN", the other says, "OUT". The Out tray contains a neatly folded pair of pastel colored pants, a book of the Atkins Diet, a System Of A Down album and a picture of Tom Cruise. The In tray contains a "Vote For Pedro" T-shirt, a book of the South Beach Diet, a Gwen Stefani album and a picture of Dane Cook.
    We PAN UP to see a tall, attractive blond girl, balancing a book on her head. This is APRYL MADDUX, 22. She looks deep in concentration.

ANGLE ON: DOOR

The door is open. Dawn steps into the doorway. She peers in and sees Apryl. After a moment of hesitation, she enters the office and approaches the desk.

DAWN
    Uh, hi. Are you the R.A.?

APRYL
    (holding up a finger)
    Just a sec.

A DING sounds from somewhere off screen. Apryl removes the book off her head and puts it down on her desk. She's suddenly bubbly and smiling.

APRYL (CONT'D)
    (proud)
    Three minutes! I beat my record!

A beat.

APRYL (CONT'D)
    Can I help you?

DAWN
    I'm looking for the R.A.

APRYL
    You found me. I'm Apryl.

They shake hands.

DAWN
    Dawn Summers. I almost gave up. Chase told me where to find you.

APRYL
    Who?

DAWN
    The white rabbit?

APRYL
    Oh, him. Let me guess, P.O.G.?

DAWN
    Yeah. Is it always like this, or just during pledge week?

APRYL
    Please, pledge week is the only time this place actually feels like college. You'd be amazed at just how bizarre it can get around here.

DAWN
    Oh, I don't know about that. I'm from Sunnydale.

APRYL
    (beaming)
    You're kidding!

DAWN
    Believe me, I wish I was.

Without saying a word, Apryl makes a mad dash behind her desk and starts digging through a bottom drawer. A moment later, she comes back up with an old yearbook in her hands. She shows it to Dawn. The front cover proudly displays the Sunnydale High logo. Dawn takes the book and starts skimming through it.

DAWN (CONT'D)
    You went to Sunnydale? Wait, how old is this book?

APRYL
    May of ?96. My parents dragged me out here that summer because a bunch of kids were turning up missing, or something.

Dawn looks up from her reading material, trying to figure out if she heard Apryl's verbal mistake correctly.

APRYL (CONT'D)
    I came all the way up here just to be home-schooled for the next three years. But, it all worked out. My Dad moved up the ladder pretty quick at the firm, which meant lots more money. Plus, he got me this job.

DAWN
    How is it?

APRYL
    (thinking)
    It's a lot like baby sitting. There's a curfew, lots of studying, occasional vomiting. The only big difference is the number of people I'm responsible for.

DAWN
    They're older, too.

APRYL
    Only on the outside. I mean really, how many grown ups do you know who dress up like a giant bunny?

CLOSE UP ON: DAWN

We hold on Dawn's face, pondering the question.

FLASH CUT TO:

EXT. SIDEWALK - NIGHT [FLASHBACK]

We see Anya, from "Fear, Itself" (re: production code 4ABB04), wearing a furry, white bunny suit. A mixture of boredom and discomfort is on her face.

FLASH CUT TO:

INT. RESIDENTIAL ADVISOR'S OFFICE - DAY [PRESENT]

We're back where we should be. Dawn says nothing.

APRYL
    I'm sorry, what was it you wanted again?

DAWN
    Oh, I have no clue where my dorm room is, except that it's on this floor...I think.

APRYL
    Don't worry, I'm almost certain that's what I'm here for. I can help you find it.
    (stretching out hand)
    I know this place like the back of my hand.

The moment those words leave her lips, Apryl notices something on her hand that she's never seen before. She examines it for a beat, but quickly discards it as nothing important. Dawn puts the yearbook down on the desk, leaving it open to a random page. The two girls continue chatting as they leave the office.
    We stay in here for a moment and PAN DOWN to the exposed page of the yearbook. We PUSH IN on various signatures and quotes. There's a small one at the bottom corner of the page that reads, "Thanks for noticing me. Marcie Ross." Right smack in the center of the page, bold and colorful reads the declaration, "YOU'RE SO MONEY! LOVE, QUEEN C."

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. PHI OMEGA GAMMA FRATERNITY HOUSE - NIGHT

The lights all appear to be off, but there's loud, abrasive punk rock blasting from inside. Chase, still sporting his bunny suit walks up to the house. He's wheeling a massive keg in front of himself. He knocks on the door. The force of his tapping pushes the door open. Cautiously, he steps inside.

INT. PHI OMEGA GAMMA FRATERNITY HOUSE - CONTINUOUS

Entering the cavernous living room, Chase finds it oddly deserted. He quickly makes his way over to the stereo in the corner, shutting off the intrusive music.

CHASE
    (calling out)
    Hello?

A faint rustling from somewhere upstairs gets Chase's attention. We CRANE UP behind him as he ascends up the steps.

INT. SECOND FLOOR HALLWAY - CONTINUOUS

Once he reaches the top of the stairs, Chase waits and listens for more sounds. Hearing nothing, he begins to take a left down the hall. An abrupt THUD startles him and provokes him to change his course.
    Now heading right, he follows down to the door at the end of the hallway. Hesitant, he slowly puts his ear to the door. From the other side, he hears what is obviously the playful giggle of a YOUNG WOMAN. He rolls his eyes. Annoyed, Chase knocks on the door. It opens, slightly. Glenn pokes his head out.

GLENN
    Oh, you're back. Why did you kill my tunes?

CHASE
    The door was open. I thought something happened.

GLENN
    Something is happening. I'm getting my freak on, and you're ruining it. What do you want, Pledge?

CHASE
    Where is everybody?

GLENN
    (antsy)
    Well, I can't speak for everybody, but the Brothers are all out, picking up girls. I'm sure that college brain of yours can figure out, I decided to stay here; Order in.

A beat.

GLENN (CONT'D)
    Did you get the keg?

CHASE
    Yes, sir.

GLENN
    Good, so go fill it up already.

CHASE
    Um, Brother Glenn?

GLENN
    What?!

CHASE
    Do you require my services for anything else?

GLENN
    No. My Father had the sex talk with me when I was twelve, so I'm good. Thanks.

Chase turns to leave.

GLENN (CONT'D)
    Oh, and Pledge?

Chase faces Glenn, once more.

GLENN (CONT'D)
    Unless someone's dying or dead, don't bother me again.

CHASE
    Yes, sir.

With that, Glenn shuts the door in Chase's face. Chase stands there a moment, stewing. A deep sigh of frustration, and then he proceeds to head back downstairs.

CUT TO:

INT. GLENN'S ROOM - CONTINUOUS

The decor of Glenn's room is typical jock. Sports memorabilia, trophies, etc. In fact, when Glenn crawls into bed, he's right beside a YOUNG WOMAN who is wearing a long, hockey jersey. They kiss and snuggle for a moment.

GLENN
    So, where were we?

YOUNG WOMAN
    (smiling)
    You were about to tell me your name.

GLENN
    No, I wasn't.

YOUNG WOMAN
    Come on. I told you my name.

GLENN
    Yeah, but it's not like I asked.

YOUNG WOMAN
    Please? You can make something up if you want to, I don't care.

GLENN
    Okay, uh...Glenn.

YOUNG WOMAN
    Is that your real name?

GLENN
    (smiling)
    I thought you said it didn't matter.

YOUNG WOMAN
    No, I said I don't care, and I don't. But it still matters.

CLOSE UP ON: YOUNG WOMAN
    She rolls over onto her other side. She's now facing away from Glenn. We're so close on her face, we don't see Glenn.

GLENN
    (OS)
    Okay then. How do I know you're not lying about your name?

YOUNG WOMAN
    You wanna see my ID?

GLENN
    No, it's okay. I trust you.

YOUNG WOMAN
    You trust me, but not enough to tell me your name?

GLENN
    I just told you my name.

YOUNG WOMAN
    No way you can actually be a "Glenn".

GLENN
    What, you don't think I look like a "Glenn".

YOUNG WOMAN
    I just meant that because you may look like a "Glenn", doesn't mean you are.

GLENN
    What makes you say that?

YOUNG WOMAN
    Appearances can be deceiving, that's all.

We PAN RIGHT to catch just the beginnings of Glenn's lips and nose, entering the frame. He lets a breath go out from his nostrils and stimulate the little hairs on the back of the Young Woman's neck. When we PAN even further, getting Glenn's profile into view, we see that he suddenly has Vamp Face!

GLENN
    You've got that right.

BLACK OUT.

EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS
    skinless
    kungfubear

THE END.
Working...
X